Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,533 members, 7,837,039 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

Why The Igbos Will Not Like Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why The Igbos Will Not Like Buhari (454 Views)

The Banner Buhari Will Not Like To See. / Continued Marginalisation Of Igbos Will End Nigeria / Like Obasanjo Like Buhari? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why The Igbos Will Not Like Buhari by babaireti(m): 3:23pm On Feb 24, 2015
One thing I learned from the debates over this election is that Nigerian society is still a highly divided and bitter society. Feelings are still rooted deeply in the past. We are no better now that we were in the 60s and we fought a war in the 60s.

I could see how very many Igbos detest Buhari. Most of them do not hate the man, Buhari, They simply hate what he represents. He represents an ugly history, as for the perspectives of the Igbos. He represented a history of inequity, a history of war and repression, a history of marginalization, violence and genocide, a history of dictatorship and abuse of rights, a history of backwardness and regression that set have Nigeria far behind.

The Igbos have a just cause to feel the way they do, even though they definitely need to do more than just feel like that. The Igbos must move from anger toward reason and calculation. The Igbos, and I would say other liberal Nigerians, must move in the direction of pragmatism.

President Buhari must understand not to ignore the feelings of the Igbos. Yes, it is likely, that he would win the elections and become the President without the Igbo votes. But he must realise that he cannot rule the country without the Igbo support. Buhari will have the unusual opportunity to repair the damages of the past by embarking on a massive human rights, political and constitutional reforms that will correct the injustices of the past.

Personally, I look forward to challenging President Buhari and for pressing him to what he needs to do as President to correct the injustices of history that has dragged this country back. Indeed, I will join the debate for the brake up of Nigeria if President Buhari fails to unite the country under the principles of equality, respect for human rights, and empowerment of the people.
Re: Why The Igbos Will Not Like Buhari by enoqueen: 4:01pm On Feb 24, 2015
na them sabi.

GMB for president.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Senate To Screen Ministerial Nominees Tomorrow / Hi / I Trust Buhari But I Doubt His Environment: Bakare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.