Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,790 members, 7,820,772 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

CBN Officially Devalues Naira - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Officially Devalues Naira (57246 Views)

Has CBN Officially Reduced Interbank Transfer Charges? / CBN Unoficially Devalues Naira / CBN Officially Bans Foreign Currency Cash Deposits In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by Inception(m): 8:33pm On Feb 25, 2015
Bloodydemon:

Buhari is a certified terrorist
Apc Is bokoharam
Tinubu is a bastard
Osibanjo is a vagabond
Elrufai is a midget
Obasanjo is a monkey
Lier Muhammed is charlatan
Amaechi is a thief
Oshiomole is a scallywag
Kwankwanso is a cow
Ambode is a clown
Aregbesola is a nincompoops
Fashola is a hooligan
Oyegun is vulture
Delemomodu is pig
Igbokwe is a goat
Gej till 2019

And you are the greatest B.astard fool since inception of humanity

1 Like

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by kaboninc(m): 8:33pm On Feb 25, 2015
989900:

A better place to be at, than not being able to read and understand.

I started dealing 'street forex' internationally way back '92. I could go ahead schooling you, but it'd be waste of my time, 'cause apparently it's beyond your wheelhouse.

Well, I don't think I should dignify you with a response. Like I said, you know nothing about demand and supply but just a common 'street forex' dealer like you rightly said!

For mentioning '92, its obvious one can know your kind. I'll stop here.

1 Like

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by tete7000(m): 8:33pm On Feb 25, 2015
CFCfan:
To our resident economists: If the CBN makes N50 or N100 note the highest denomination, will there be any effect on the value of the Naira with regards to real purchasing power and exchange rate?
Thanks.

It will automatically lead to inflation because that implies the smallest money you can spend without needing change will be N100/N50. Small things like chewing gum and sweet will then be available at those prices.
Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by erico2k2(m): 8:35pm On Feb 25, 2015
ucheheart:
Dey there na. Which white man will allow african man to become his superior?
my cleaner is white ahe is from Italy.she cleans the common areas of our flat
Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by kaboninc(m): 8:36pm On Feb 25, 2015
tete7000:

It will automatically lead to inflation because that implies the smallest money you can spend without needing change will be N100/N50. Small things like chewing gum and sweet will then be available at those prices.

Oga, you are completely rrong!

It will lead to introduction of coins and smaller denominations. In fact the absence of coins in our economy has greatly distorted appropriate pricing of commodities.

1 Like

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by tomiobj(m): 8:39pm On Feb 25, 2015
True talk
ucheheart:
Don't worry soon they will increase it to N200 if not N250. The white men want to make sure that no black nation emerges as world power in future and they've succeeded in achieving that. Once they heard nigeria had the best economy in africa last year and still growing, they weren't happy with that news so america didn't waste time in stopping crude oil importation which is now crumbling the economy. So everything is deliberate..

1 Like

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by Raiders: 8:40pm On Feb 25, 2015
Forwetinnah:

Are you buying the bread in dollars?? An explanation has been given and yet you're still falling over yourself about inflation!! This is to encourage the local market instead of importation and import wuruwuru
yes technically we buy our bread in dollars because some of the ingredients and most of the equipment used in production are imported. The government need to encourage the local market by improving electricity production and training our graduates.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by ucheheart(m): 8:41pm On Feb 25, 2015
Image123:

Why do we have this mindset of blaming every other person except ourselves for our problems? If it is not opposition or APC, then we blame white man, or say God is the one punishing us. Whose fault that we depleted our resources and reserves and refused to save in time of plenty? Is it the white that said our source of foreign exchange income should be over 95% crude oil based?
question. Even in the bible when God asked adam how he got to know he was naked. He blamed it on eve. So it's natural. Just as eve made adam eat the forbidden fruit so also the white men made us depend on oil as our major source of revenue because they didn't buy any other resource in large quantity compared to crude oil. So why shouldn't i blame them.
Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by queensmith: 8:43pm On Feb 25, 2015
People are excited about this?

What the hell is happening here?

I can't actually believe this, looool the Nigerians understanding of Economics actually begins to explain alot. grin grin grin grin

CBN pegging the naira at a lower rate of exchange only benefits those coming to rape you of your resources then sell them back to you at the value you now have to pay more for because you've made your currency cost less.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by kaboninc(m): 8:44pm On Feb 25, 2015
dan55:
maybe u didnt understand what u typed. U typed without reading and understanding ur words.

Chai!!! CHISOS!!!!

Let me painfully quote my statement:

kaboninc:

The Interbank Window is like every other market
where banks go to source for funds to meet
customer's obligations such as the USD. It could
be for seeking 'quick cash' too. So if bank A has
$100 and bank B needs $100, bank A can sell to
bank B through that platform. But transactions on
this platforms are in huge oh.

In Nigeria of recent, there used to be 2 major
windows or market platforms that determine the
exchange rates - CBN's auction system (RDAS and
WDAS) and the Interbank Market. The auction
system is actually a controlled system and that
really came with severe consequences especially
with dwindling oil prices which is our major
foreign exchange earner. One consequence was
large price differentials between CBN's official
rate, interbank's rate and the black market.

Another was that it was open to abusive,
speculative and round tripping activities by
dealers. CBN began monitoring activities in the FX
market when they had to dip their hands into their
reserve to sustain demands and support the naira.
By observing the demands, they felt that it was
actually been abused. Let me give an instance. A
customer comes and presents a bid for say $300
million (gets it from CBN at say N168). Gets the
funds. Instead of meeting geuine demands, he
goes on to sell to BDCs at the interbank rate (at
181 or higher which is about N13 or higher in
profit for every dollar) without doing ANYTHING!
That is N3.9 billion cool cash!

Thus those who genuinely demand USD do not get
it and those who can give, give at higher prices
(scarcity). So CBN has to come up with so many
measures and policies to curtail this 'MADNESS'
and one of the latest was to effectively close the
auction system and allow the forces of demand
and supply to determine the exchange rate.

Opari

And this was your silly comment:

it cant stop anything. My friend in the business now
buys and sells at 217 that is 18 naira gain

So which one is "it can't stop anything"? What has it got to do with what I wrote? Did you note that I was responding to a request from someone?

Do you just come here to form champion with your silly arguments? Park well oh and make you dey look face before you comment!

3 Likes

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by tete7000(m): 8:45pm On Feb 25, 2015
kaboninc:

Oga, you are completely rrong!

It will lead to introduction of coins and smaller denominations. In fact the absence of coins in our economy has greatly distorted appropriate pricing of commodities.

What you have forgotten is that Nigerians have aversion for coins. How many times have coins been introduced and how many of them do you see people spend now? Do you think the previous coins are not relevant? Nigerians just hate to carry coins. The same will happen to any denomination you convert to coins, they simply go into extinction and the least note becomes the least denomination.

1 Like

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by Image123(m): 8:47pm On Feb 25, 2015
ucheheart:
question. Even in the bible when God asked adam how he got to know he was naked. He blamed it on eve. So it's natural. Just as eve made adam eat the forbidden fruit so also the white men made us depend on oil as our major source of revenue because they didn't buy any other resource in large quantity compared to crude oil. So why shouldn't i blame them.
Wow.
Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by 989900: 8:47pm On Feb 25, 2015
kaboninc:

Well, I don't think I should dignify you with a response. Like I said, you know nothing about demand and supply but just a common 'street forex' dealer like you rightly said!

For mentioning '92, its obvious one can know your kind. I'll stop here.

Meh.
Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by Bloodydemon: 8:48pm On Feb 25, 2015
Inception:

And you are the greatest B.astard fool since inception of humanity

Otu nne i bastard
Buhari is a terrorist
Apc Is bokoharam
Gej till 2019

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by jay89(m): 8:48pm On Feb 25, 2015
Adminisher:
This is serious FAILURE by Jonathan. It is going to bite him HARD. Let us remember that we had foreign exchange reserves of $45bn and ECA of $22bb that was further helped by $115/barrel oil price that should have.improved. exchange rate to N70 to.the dollar. Every other OPEC country also built up reserves and developed petrochemical industry.
Jonathan did not. At N200 to the dollar most companies will soon laying off workers. All the empty half educated youths praising Jonathan will curse him soon. Shey Buhari is the one you fear now?.You are afraid of Fulani general? Soon you will beg him.
my oga if u dnt have anytin 2 say shut the hell up, hw many years did Gej rule dis country 4 u 2 blame him is nt ur ppl dat draw us bak 4 20 years, we are trying 2 move forward nw bt u guys still wnt 2 draw us bak 2 d dark age

1 Like

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by kaboninc(m): 8:49pm On Feb 25, 2015
tete7000:

What you have forgotten is that Nigerians have aversion for coins. How many times have coins been introduced and how many of them do you see people spend now? Do you think the previous coins are not relevant? Nigerians just hate to carry coins. The same will happen to any denomination you convert to coins, they simply go into extinction and the least note becomes the least denomination.

I haven't forgotten that bro.

But I know that with the right orientation and enlightenment and enforcement too, Nigerians will start appreciating the usefulness of coins.

In actual sense, higher denomination notes like the 1000 naira really do not have to be in circulation or in public domain. It should be used strictly to move large volumes of cash around. It is because of this same reason the CBN is seriously pursuing the strict implementation of the Cashless Policy.

All these are measures to safeguard our naira.

1 Like

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by kaboninc(m): 8:50pm On Feb 25, 2015
989900:

Meh.

Lool
Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by Bloodydemon: 8:50pm On Feb 25, 2015
abduljabbar8:

Gej is a bastard
Pej is a prostitute
Buhari till 2023
Fool

Buhari is a terrorist
Apc Is bokoharam
Gej till 2019

Otu nne i fool

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by ucheheart(m): 8:51pm On Feb 25, 2015
Are Italians white? Forget those ppl jor. We are talking abt white men who became world power through technology break through not through war. When i say whites i meant brits and north americans.
erico2k2:

my cleaner is white ahe is from Italy.she cleans the common areas of our flat
Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by tete7000(m): 8:57pm On Feb 25, 2015
kaboninc:

I haven't forgotten that bro.

But I know that with the right orientation and enlightenment and enforcement too, Nigerians will start appreciating the usefulness of coins.

In actual sense, higher denomination notes like the 1000 naira really do not have to be in circulation or in public domain. It should be used strictly to move large volumes of cash around. It is because of this same reason the CBN is seriously pursuing the strict implementation of the Cashless Policy.

All these are measures to safeguard our naira.

Well I wouldn't say no to education and enforcement but another obstacle is the blacksmiths who melt those coins for their metallic values. It is why you don't see many coins in circulation any longer. Maybe cashless policy if we can implement it is our best option.

1 Like

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by Youngzedd(m): 8:59pm On Feb 25, 2015
kilokeys:
officially the price of goods would skyrocket..

Inflation follows.

1 Like

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by Nobody: 9:03pm On Feb 25, 2015
Killing Nigerians softly. I wonder what are the Nigerians offences to warrant all these bullshits from our government. Nigerians should vote wisely.
Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by Mrbigman1(m): 9:05pm On Feb 25, 2015
stevecantrell:

Dude you have to look past what you think Buhari is. You need to start see buhari as a means to an end. The end of this government.

I can tell you, Buhari will never sit in Aso Rock but for a very short time only.

Voting Buhari means GEJ out ! That's all !

Please school me the Magic GMB would perform to avert the falling Naira?

Guess his gonna regulate the oil price right?

Look, a country is Tryn it's best in hard times to fix fallen things. U can imagine all these re happening and ur food price is still going down instead of skyrocketing, the price of houses have not gone up, the stock market have not collapsed. Now something more than just economic is happening in Nigeria.

We have drastically reduced the price of food importation, cars, cement and a lot and mind u, for u to jump up, u have to bend down.

Pray for ur nation and dnt always wish it collapses, if it dose, u'd suffer it the more.

It's about time the oppositions leave this life of ill wishes and wish for a better country.

1 Like

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by kaboninc(m): 9:07pm On Feb 25, 2015
edoboy74:

They are rubbish to your ear because you my friend is rubbish.

What is your business if N200 is to a dollar?

What do you as a person do with the dollar? What's is your interest? And how does it affect you as a person that a dollar cost 200 naira?

Let me see your 'layman' reasoning!

You are a fool sorry to say... I was offered admission abroad and I couldn't meet up with the tuition fee because of this stupid devaluation of naira, if it where be the way it was then I sure should be having a more guarantee and modern education by now.

Mhen!!! Just shot up

You didn't mention my moniker but you quoted my post.

So in replying to you:

You are a BIGGER FOOL!

If you have senses at all, you'd know that spending money on education is one thing you should never gamble with. See your warped reasoning?

You got admission into a foreign school...oh great. Do you know that it is people like you the CBN is trying to protect? People like you who have LEGITMATE need for FX?

Let me educate you. Most of the dollar in demand today from the CBN are actually fictitious and not properly utilised. There's been an artificial creation of scarcity and that's why the rate is soaring high. Remember we're in an election season and that's also contributing greatly to the pressure on the naira as more naira is being spent.

So people actually create this impression of no dollar so they can jerk up the rate and earn higher margin for doing absolutely nothing while folks like you who genuinely need this money end up paying exorbitant price for it. One of CBN's directive is to ensure that USD bought must be used within a specific period of time failing which such dealer will be severely penalised. What does that tell you?

Don't come here to rope in sentiment without proper information or knowledge on how things are done.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by ghostofsparta(m): 9:09pm On Feb 25, 2015
One of these interesting topics might fancy your interest

To understand how a child begotten through the mating of a husband and wife still manages to capture the resemblance of an outsider, click PARANORMAL or SCIENCE:MATERNAL IMPRINTING where a rational possibility is examined, following up on Nelly's 99.3 Nigeria Info Friday radio talk show 'Paranormal or Science'

Apart from religious reasons why do Nigerians pretend so much about sex, click Why Should We Avoid Premarital Sex? following up on MzMyColi poser on the burning question.

To get some clarity on the confusion as to why the deistic force of retribution and justice known as ṢANGÓ is generally misunderstood, click ṢANGÓ-ONE OF THE 401 MISPERCEIVED ÍRUNMO̩LẸ to read on how the misperception is rationalized.

To read about the new Intel's low-energy Core M processor, click PROCESSOR OF CONFUSION to read on how this relatively new chip oppresses some of its predecessors.

Who is to blame immediately a budding relationship start heading south? Find out by clicking THE RELATIONSHIP BLAME GAME: THE ABUSE, THE ABUSED & THE ABUSER to see if you agree or not with the arguments.
Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by Mrbigman1(m): 9:21pm On Feb 25, 2015
ejiro2130:

Are you high or what??

Why didn't you ask why the naira is falling even though oil price is gradually rising??
Keep deceiving yourself, tell your oga to organise election and leave office and you will see if the naira won't go back to 180 over night with help from CBN

That's the point.

CBN have been wedging the Naira since and pumping the scares dollars uncontrollable into circulation to strengthen the Naira.

Now the Nigerian market is getting stable and they decided to let it survive it's self instead of wasting our reserve.

Now if output increases after election base on GDP, Naira can pick up without no support.
Imagine Nigeria not exporting oil to USA yet the economy seems stable, imagine wen everything gets normal and export resumes, hope we'd hit the sky

1 Like

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by Nobody: 9:21pm On Feb 25, 2015
michealewela:
i think it affect us directly, maybe you don't stay in Nigeria that's the reason you don't know the effects,, a common tecno phone that was selling for 12k 3months ago has gone upto 15k and if you care to ask the sellers the only reason they will give is "the naira has fallen against the dollar"

the reason the common Tecno phone dat was selling at 12k increased to 15k is because the Chinese 're on break...nobody is importing for now so u jerk up price on the goods available to make up for it . it's a trend. February every year in computer village..
Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by Nobody: 9:23pm On Feb 25, 2015
Austinio:
. Nonsense. Say what you knw. The naira is died, take it or leav it

.ur English teacher should be dead take it or leave it
Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by kaboninc(m): 9:24pm On Feb 25, 2015
tete7000:

Well I wouldn't say no to education and enforcement but another obstacle is the blacksmiths who melt those coins for their metallic values. It is why you don't see many coins in circulation any longer. Maybe cashless policy if we can implement it is our best option.

Looool!

Blacksmith ke? I like you sha.

Well CBN actually prints these currencies, be it coin or notes. If we do not have the technology, it can be imported. But with the way things are going, the drive for Local Content, Local Industrialisation, Local Manufacturing, then sure, it can be produced here in Nigeria!

Now on the Cashless Policy, it is not a matter of 'if' but 'certain' and it is being implemented. This helps to reduce the CASH in circulation, reducing costs associated to it, reducing printing of currencies, reducing cost of printing and maintaining notes, reducing pressure on the naira and ultimately reducing inflation!

So you see CBN's direction? It is in good faith bro!

1 Like

Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by philfrey08: 9:25pm On Feb 25, 2015
Hmmm.....
And people wud blame it on jonathan.
I would have a lot of educating to do..!
Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by Nobody: 9:32pm On Feb 25, 2015
edoboy74:

They are rubbish to your ear because you my friend is rubbish.

What is your business if N200 is to a dollar?

What do you as a person do with the dollar? What's is your interest? And how does it affect you as a person that a dollar cost 200 naira?

Let me see your 'layman' reasoning!

You are a fool sorry to say... I was offered admission abroad and I couldn't meet up with the tuition fee because of this stupid devaluation of naira, if it where be the way it was then I sure should be having a more guarantee and modern education by now.

Mhen!!! Just shot up

U couldn't meet up with the tuition fee. incompetence stupid and clueless
Re: CBN Officially Devalues Naira by BizBayo: 9:33pm On Feb 25, 2015
honestly, I like the devaluation if the motive is to encourage the purchase of local markets. They should just make Zinox computer produce affordable PCs and Innoson motors to manufacture affordable cars for Nigerians. These two industries will go a long way, for real. Of which, they can be exported.

This should encourage local software writers and programmers. They should make their research and develop better apps and programs for local purchase, instead of we buying from Indians or Americans.

Politically; my points are not.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How To Get A Company Tax Clearance Certificate In Nigeria / Rice Seller's N400,000 Turns To Paper In Ogwashi-Ukwu, Delta State (Video) / Ooni Of Ife And Aliko Dangote On A Tour Of Dangote Refinery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.