Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / . (4588 Views)

Poll: True or False: A military coup will make Nigeria a better place to live

True: 29% (14 votes)
False: 70% (33 votes)
This poll has ended

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by utotomi(m): 7:17pm On Jan 09, 2009
Re: . by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 09, 2009
Frankly the only reason there is'nt a coup in Nigeria is because coups are no longer popular arround the world

Yar'adua has done more than enough to invite a Military coup.

Right now we can only be patient for another 2yrs

But we must be ready to come out of our corners, coalese arround a candidate and demand change.

Upon all the failures Yar'adua wants to rule for second term.
Re: . by SkyBlue1: 8:03pm On Jan 09, 2009
mikeansy:

Frankly the only reason there is'nt a coup in Nigeria is because coups are no longer popular arround the world

Yar'adua has done more than enough to invite a Military coup.

Right now we can only be patient for another 2yrs

But we must be ready to come out of our corners, coalese arround a candidate and demand change.

Upon all the failures Yar'adua wants to rule for second term.

A military coup might sound appealing to some because although high risk, it seems the easiest way out IF a "good person" becomes president since such a leader won't have to deal with the bureacracy in Nigeria's "democracy" and hence might be able to change things in a short time. However the flip side is ,  well,  think Abacha. Furthermore at this point, a military coup seems to be nothing but a retrogressive step and to be honest just goes to highlight the cowardice that seems so intrinsic in the Nigerian populace. A military coup will not likely bring about a democratic government and is undemocratic. Nigeria always wants to cut corners and find the easy way out that would lead to this continuous road towards perdition instead of taking the more meaningful and perhaps tougher route that will more likely secure a more meaningful future. We have to stand up against the culture of dictatorship, corruption, etc, it means work, sacrifice, etc which people don't seem to want to put in. There is no getting round this, cutting corners will not bring about that genuine meaningful change that is needed. If a military coup happens tomorrow, in 5 years time we will still be worried about another military coup occuring, how is that progression? Those days should be left behind if we claim to be democratic. The part highlighted in bold and many others are things required for meaningful development and progress to occur.
Re: . by BecomeRich: 12:03am On Jan 10, 2009
We do not need a coup in Nigeria, all they need to do is remove the Yorubas. I know we would have the 73 senators required to make the change. See map. each state with red dot would vote yes. The truth is Yar Adua should ask himself what would belewa do in a situation where the north are minority, ? Balewa would follow my plan, he would have the sea and the oil at the same time.  83% oil is in the east

The truth is Yar Adua and the north are in  in trouble if they refuse to cut the yorubas and bendle off to Benin Republic. The north would be serious minority in nigeria democracy.

Let look at this picture, this picture is one of the large small town in Jigawa state there are about 700 to 800 in total in Jigawa state. And Jigawa state have the highest number of settlement in the north.

Here is an average one in the picture. The area of of the town is  0.045 sq km that is the area coverage of the town. Which is area covered by human being.  The largest town in Jigawa state is hadeija and if  Hadeija is in ondo state , it would not be among the first 10 big cities in Ondo state. 

Now let look at Akure, akure sq km is not less than 99 sq km.

If you want to find out how many of this town in the picture that is akure.

The calculation is   99 divide by 0.045=  2200 towns.

That means that you need 2,200 sure towns in Jigawa state to make up for the coverage are of akure. And we have just about 800. Notice some are larger than this town. about 30 of them. but It would not make the different.    How can Jigawa state which have 800 settlement which the whole state can fit into akure have more population than ondo state, 

So when you do the calculation. The north is in serious troublem if they do not allow the yorubas to join the republic of Benin under democracy.

Re: . by asha80(m): 12:05am On Jan 10, 2009
Mental case
Re: . by BecomeRich: 12:11am On Jan 10, 2009
i reject that in jesus name.
Re: . by maxsiollun: 1:15am On Jan 10, 2009
Before people get carried away, let us remember what military rule brought us:

Within 7 months of the "Five Majors" striking in 1966, Nigeria was plunged into a massive political crisis, pogroms and the following year, a brutal civil war in which over a million people died. That is what "let the military return" did for Nigeria!

Do none of you remember the brutal beating that a Rear-Admiral's Ratings inflicted on a poor young woman in broad daylight just a few weeks ago? Under military rule, that Rear-Admiral would be one of the leading members of the government! How quickly we forget that under military rule:

1) For all their shortcomings, civilian politicians are not reclusive freaks who kill their opponents and their opponent's wives for criticising them. This is what Gen Abacha did when his henchmen killed MKO and Kudirat Abiola. To get some sense of balance on this, what Abacha did to his opponents would be the equivalent of Yar'Adua having Buhari and his wife killed, placing Atiku in jail, and then trying to murder his own Chief of Army Staff.

2) Nigeria got suspended from the Commonwealth and became an international pariah.

3) Gen Abacha's own son Mohammed was personally involved in torturing opponents of his dad.

4) Gen Abacha's killing squads murdered opposition figures like Kudirat Abiola, Alfred Rewane and Shehu Yar'Adua and they made unsuccessful attempts to kill Lt-Gen Akinrinade, Gani Fawehinmi and Abacha's own army chief Maj-Gen Alwali Kazir.

5) The military regimes deliberately set up, tortured and sentenced to death scores of innocent people in bogus "coup plots" for no reason other than their opposition to the regime.

6) It was the military that enacted the Land Use Decree which gave all crude oil proceeds to the federal government, and which latently caused the current Niger Delta conflict and endemic kidnapping.

These are the people you want to entrust Nigeria's future to?! The mind boggles.
Re: . by udezue(m): 1:21am On Jan 10, 2009
Not in support of any military intervention.
Re: . by idiopathic: 1:26am On Jan 10, 2009
Take a look at our cousins in Ghana, despite the minor hitches; they were able to conduct an enviable election. The ruling candidate was even present at the swearing in ceremony of the new president. Is this possible in Nigeria?

My criticism of Nigeria’s “so-called democracy” is that though it should be a learning experience, we don’t appear to be learnt from our experience thus far.

Analyse the validity of the elections of 1999, 2003 and 2007 in that order. The first election of ’99 which was conducted by the military was the fairest, followed by the 2003 election. 2007 was judged to be the worst conducted thus far. So my question to you is ‘what have we really learnt? So, we are not really learning from the democractic process as successive elections seem to be worse than the preceding ones.

Look closely at the local government elections conducted by the various state governors. We all witnessed how PDP was winning 99% of the electable posts, confining the opposition to irrelevance.
Any democratic dispensation should have the following:

a)      A vibrant and independent press to check the excesses of the Government.

b)      An independent judiciary that will be an impartial arbiter.

c)      A viable opposition that will always hold the ruling party account, as we know, absolute power is very corrupting.

Unfortunately, Nigeria’s democracy in its form lacks these viable ingredients. The major newspapers have been bought by the oligarch’s and their friends in government. They are doing everything in their power to change public opinion in their favour. Have you wondered why they were silent on the treatment meted to Ribadu and treatment of Yaradua’s incompetence with kid’s gloves?
Our judiciary is compromised and the recent Supreme Court verdict convinced even the most stubborn sceptics.
The opposition party have been pushed to the margins, appear helpless and are now scrambling for the crumbs falling from PDP tables.

Some dreamers who still think that as we conduct more “selections”, somehow, we will evolve into a credible democracy need to wake up. Take a look at countries like Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Angola, Zimbabwe, Gambia, Togo, Cameroun etc. They have all been conducting elections for decades, have they evolved? If you don’t have the necessary circumstance necessary for a functioning democracy, you can keep conducting elections that will keep producing the same candidates and party as winners. The PDP have vowed to rule for 60 years. Who will stop them?

Isn’t it shameful that the most credible elections have been conducted by the military. Please, bring back the khaki boys
Re: . by bawomolo(m): 8:00am On Jan 10, 2009
Isn’t it shameful that the most credible elections have been conducted by the military. Please, bring back the khaki boys

the problem in African countries is colonial era armies who think it's there birth right to interfere in politics.  Nigeria would end up like Thailand if we keep on begging for the army to save us.  you guys are the same ones bitching and whining when your minister of communications is some illiterate major general.
Re: . by Ibime(m): 12:39pm On Jan 10, 2009
Coups beget coups, until you end up with Abacha.
Re: . by PeeDaVinci: 2:41pm On Jan 10, 2009
anybody supporting coup in nigeria is not thinking right
Re: . by RICHIEBOI1(m): 3:10pm On Jan 10, 2009
utotomi:

Whether nigeria is taken over by dogs or cats, it doesnt matter, anything is better than Yaradua, OBJ, or anyone else. I will probably be dead a few minutes after this post by Yaradua's men. You are all my witnesses.

haba bros. you hash oh! grin anyway the worst civilian govt. is better than the best military govt. qoute me
Re: . by Eziachi: 3:45pm On Jan 10, 2009
RICHIE BOI:

haba bros. you hash oh! grin anyway the worst civilian govt. is better than the best military govt. qoute me

I disagree, the difference between military govt in Nigeria and civilian govt in Nigeria is the clothe they are wearing. One wears kharki and the other wears Agbada and red cap. That is were the different ends. The personnel are the same people, the style is still the same, looting rate is the same if not higher,human right abuse the same, press freedom restriction is the same, selection of rulers still applies, pverty level still the same, uncalculatible unemployment still the same.

So what has change? Nothing
Re: . by Muza(m): 3:57pm On Jan 10, 2009
But don't u guyz think that the our present "leaders" with the way the loot and abuse law are inciting a military coup.
Cos every junta uses the excuse that it had to seize power to save a situation like the one we are facing today.
Re: . by texazzpete(m): 8:11pm On Jan 10, 2009
It's one thing to beef yar' adua, it's another to wish him dead or call for a coup. 
Are these people so childish that they dabble in such treacherous waters?
Abeg,  Seun, when the SSS come calling do all you can to hand over these retards to them.
Re: . by maxsiollun: 8:19pm On Jan 10, 2009
EXACTLY. One succeful coup always leads to another, and each military regime is always worse than the one that preceded it.

Ibime:

Coups beget coups, until you end up with Abacha.
Re: . by idiopathic: 9:40pm On Jan 10, 2009
Jerry Rawlings, Musharaf, Pinochet, Suharto, Franco were all coupists who transformed their nations. Some may have been autocractic, but they laid the foundation for the democractic path in their nations.
Re: . by bawomolo(m): 5:11am On Jan 12, 2009
idiopathic:

Jerry Rawlings, Musharaf, Pinochet, Suharto, Franco were all coupists who transformed their nations. Some may have been autocractic, but they laid the foundation for the democractic path in their nations.

pinochet, franco and musharraf are ideal models?
Re: . by Moonstone(f): 8:57am On Jan 12, 2009
I refuse to support a Military Coup. Under no condition will I agree that OBJ is worse than Abacha or IBB.
If we had civilians ruling for the most part, Nigeria would have been a better country now that it was then. . . that's the truth.
Re: . by dayokanu(m): 9:17am On Jan 12, 2009
@Moonstone,
Are we tlking about Roy Nagin here tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: . by hajifaty: 10:00am On Jan 12, 2009
Maybe, we should give these kharki guys another chance. grin  Meanwhile, during IBB regime we can still use N5 to buy guguru and epa with gari grin cheesy
Re: . by Muza(m): 10:10am On Jan 12, 2009
hajifaty:

Maybe, we should give these kharki guys another chance. grin  Meanwhile, during IBB regime we can still use N5 to buy guguru and epa with gari grin cheesy
Yeah,i concur
Re: . by texazzpete(m): 10:31am On Jan 12, 2009
hajifaty:

Maybe, we should give these kharki guys another chance. grin Meanwhile, during IBB regime we can still use N5 to buy guguru and epa with gari grin cheesy

Yeah! Freedom of expression is so overrated, huh?

And guess which Millitary dictator led us into SAP and severe economic downturn. That's right, IBB!
Instead of working to make democracy thrive and work in Nigeria, people are already throwing up their hands in despair.

Don't worry sha, it's not a purely Nigerian thing. After all the Bible tells us that the Israelites were telling Moses they wanted to go bck to slavery in Egypt instead of suffering in the desert.
Re: . by utotomi(m): 12:38pm On Jan 12, 2009
Re: . by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jan 12, 2009
I believe the reason we haven't seen a coup yet is OBJ. I believe nigerians should be grateful to him for that.
Re: . by JJYOU: 6:11pm On Jan 12, 2009
Nigerians deserve bad leadership. these people are selected from amongst Nigerians.

the cost of the silly winners or thieves takes it all presidential system we are running is not worth it. too much government without governing
Re: . by chidichris(m): 6:28pm On Jan 12, 2009
@poster,
when next u are starting topic of this nature, do not fail to give a brief explaination of the term in question like coup.
if i am informed about coup, it means forceful take over of govt with the consent of the people. if that is coup, it means we are under the leadership junta. most times the leader of the coup, may not end of been the comander in chief of the armed forces.
april 2007 was a coup led by obj. a man who was a former gov who was surposed to be under the persecution files of ribadu was forced on us by the junta against our wish.
the only possible coup now is total disengagement of obj from the political scene to give nigerians free hands in choosing their own president so that nigerians will accept responsibilities in case of failures.
when his third term agenda failed, he went into the pdp constitution to illegally make changes to make him the only person qualified in this world to be the chairman of board of trustees - pdp. by so doing, he has the powers to choose and install presidents as long as he lives.
we are enslaved to pdp and indirectly obj.
all these moves and efforts are designed to shield himself away from possible probe now or in future.
the secrets of yar adua being presient lies with obj who has the powers to undo his actions whereby yar adua misbehaves and that is why it looks like nothing is happening or moving forward in nigeria.
the only coup nigeria and nigerians need now is to find the best way to remove obj from aso rock.
Re: . by PROJECT: 6:31pm On Jan 12, 2009
the truth is that democracy cant work in this country for now cos we have the old folks still ruling us since independent and we are still looking , i just wish we have guts in this country then this rulers will not take us for a ride.people say abacha was bad i was a student activist in his time arrested and expelled from school but i tell u abacha is better that this men,how many people did obj kill in his 8 years in power,how much did he loot,who destroyed odi,under who did we see the chaos in zaki biam,jos riot,aba,potharcourt crisis,high level of corruption,strikes and assasination,its under the obj regime,i will prefer us to all revolt against this govt.when they tell us to sit we shall stand ,when they tell us to wlak we shall sit,then we shall make this country ungovernable, i want direct non violent action against this orligarchy
Re: . by jamace(m): 6:49pm On Jan 12, 2009
Coup again? Am not in support. Note that the military is part and parcel of the society. If the society evolves for the better, they will have a better military. In like manner, if a society is retrogressive, the military will be retrogressive. In fact, the distrust, suspicion and "dog eat dog" in the military presently is alarming. I am sorry to say that the military has no cohession and so has no ability to try any thing funny. What I will support is the people's revolution using Mao Tse Tung as my model. I know that many are pessimistic and I can hear them asking "people's revolution in Nigeria?" Don't worry, one day be one day a hungry dog will bite it's owner.
Re: . by temps: 11:46pm On Jan 12, 2009
if the type wey happen to gana no shakin
Re: . by Sapphic: 2:45am On Jan 13, 2009
@ Poster, Be careful wha you wish for. I guess you think IBB and Abacha's regime was better than this one abi? lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

GEJ Wants Direct Access To Govt Funds Blocked To Curb Corruption / 2015: SE,SS, MB, South Kaduna, All N Christians, Igbos In SW Versus NW, SW & NE / The Minister Of Aviation Messed Up But...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.