Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,628 members, 7,809,344 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:05 AM

Only In England - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Only In England (1357 Views)

Shocking Video: A Fallen Angel Spotted In England? (watch 4 Minutes Video) / Queen Of England Invites Pastor J.T.Bandele To Special Event At Her Palace (Pic) / Christianity Is Dying In England And France (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Only In England by redsun(m): 12:18am On Jan 10, 2009
http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/872194/Atheist-bus-campaign-draws-48-complaints

The other side of the coin.I wonder what will happen with this kind of advert pasted on public transports in places like america and nigeria,or in other words,may be there is no allah pasted on buses in iran?
Re: Only In England by duduspace(m): 1:19am On Jan 10, 2009
That is a funny one redsun, religious hypocrisy at work again isn't it? but men, if you try that stuff in any of this fundamental muslim countries; heads will roll and I mean literarily.
Re: Only In England by manmustwac(m): 11:26am On Jan 10, 2009
redsun:

http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/872194/Atheist-bus-campaign-draws-48-complaints

The other side of the coin.I wonder what will happen with this kind of advert pasted on public transports in places like america and nigeria,or in other words,may be there is no allah pasted on buses in iran?
there has already been a simialr campaign in america, which says something like; There's probably no God but be Good for Goodness sake,
Re: Only In England by lawyer(m): 2:05pm On Jan 10, 2009

lol

Freedom of speech! I dont think this advert is something offensive and doesnt particularly affect anyone in person just like every other advert!

Now i am sure Salman Rushdie would be having a laugh after writing the Satanic Verses! grin
Re: Only In England by babsongudus: 6:15pm On Jan 12, 2009
mad man says in his heart there is no God
Re: Only In England by AKO1(m): 9:52pm On Jan 12, 2009
"There's probably no God tongue"

Why can't they just say it affirmatively? Aren't they sure? undecided
Re: Only In England by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jan 12, 2009
A_K_O:

conscience is the problem. grin That's why they are forever heckling christians . . . they really arent sure if they are the right path.
If they knew assuredly that God didnt exist they wont even bother with christians at all.
Re: Only In England by PastorAIO: 12:36pm On Jan 13, 2009
'Probably' suggests to me that a statistical calculation has been made. I wonder what the criteria for this calculation was. What is the probability in percentage terms that they arrived at? Can the advertisers be sued for using wrong facts because of their probability calculations.
Re: Only In England by duduspace(m): 3:13am On Jan 14, 2009
davidylan:

conscience is the problem. grin That's why they are forever heckling christians . . . they really arent sure if they are the right path.
If they knew assuredly that God didnt exist they wont even bother with christians at all.
A_K_O:

They are only saying the truth the way it is, it is a fallacy to say for certain that there is no God, if what you mean by God is a sentient being responsible for the creation of the Universe, but whether he does for a fact exist and is the God of the Quran, the Allah of the bible tongue, Buddah, Krishna or any other God you can come up with in the confines of your house is a different matter entirely.
Some peeps stupidly beleive that when people question the existence of God, they are only referring to the God of the bible.

Pastor AIO:

'Probably' suggests to me that a statistical calculation has been made. I wonder what the criteria for this calculation was. What is the probability in percentage terms that they arrived at? Can the advertisers be sued for using wrong facts because of their probability calculations.

Pastor, why don't all the people you preach your fables to sue you for being fraudulent? if you are well conversant with probability theory you would know that a certainty in probability is represented by 1 and an impossibility is represented by 0. Anything which lies between 1 and 0 has a probability which in this case is not given because it is an unknown.

If you are considering suing the advertisers, the burden of proof will lie with you to prove either the impossibility or certainty of God's existence, a feat which both Atheists and Theists alike have been unable to achieve so far. This Advert in reality is not Atheistic but Agnostic in its message.
Re: Only In England by arramyjay: 9:51am On Jan 14, 2009
Good,there is nothing bad about that,freedom to believe what you want.
Re: Only In England by JustGood(m): 12:11pm On Jan 14, 2009
That is what happens when freedom is taken to certan heights. Cant you all see what the British and American societies have become in terms of morals?

They think nothing of doing terrible things. Kids taking knives to school in societies where there is relative safety and comfort. Kids going on shooting sprees because the society tells them their lives are meaningless. A society that does not know God is a society that will be full of people whose lives have no meaning.

When they 'enjoy' briefly and realise that there is no deep satisfaction in what they consider to be enjoyment, their lives go pear shaped.
Re: Only In England by JJYOU: 12:20pm On Jan 14, 2009
the advertising standards council people wont let you pass lies as an advert therefore the word probably has to come in because they will never ever be sure at least not in this lifetime
Re: Only In England by PastorAIO: 1:26pm On Jan 14, 2009
duduspace:

Pastor, why don't all the people you preach your fables to sue you for being fraudulent? if you are well conversant with probability theory you would know that a certainty in probability is represented by 1 and an impossibility is represented by 0. Anything which lies between 1 and 0 has a probability which in this case is not given because it is an unknown.

If you are considering suing the advertisers, the burden of proof will lie with you to prove either the impossibility or certainty of God's existence, a feat which both Atheists and Theists alike have been unable to achieve so far. This Advert in reality is not Atheistic but Agnostic in its message.

Hey, when did you see me preaching fables. If you are not careful I will sue you for fraudulent libel.

In common usage of the word probable (not the mathematical jargon) when someone says that something is probably the case they mean that it is highly likely. of course where do you draw the line of a likelihood that is high and that which is low.

Anyway, if Carlsberg can get away with being probably the best lager in the world then I suppose they will get away too.
Re: Only In England by duduspace(m): 4:16pm On Jan 14, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Hey, when did you see me preaching fables. If you are not careful I will sue you for fraudulent libel.

In common usage of the word probable (not the mathematical jargon) when someone says that something is probably the case they mean that it is highly likely. of course where do you draw the line of a likelihood that is high and that which is low.

Anyway, if Carlsberg can get away with being probably the best lager in the world then I suppose they will get away too.

Why are you denying your name now? I beleive that in every possible use of the word (not only in common usage), a pastor is someone who preaches or should I sue you for impersonating a pastor and deceiving us all on the forum? grin tongue

Probability in any way you use it does introduces an element of uncertainty which of course is why people lie (in attempting to convince others of their point of view for all types of gain yu can think of). If you're implying in any way that these guys should be sanctioned for this message, then all manstream religious figures should be in jail or even in some circumstances be taken out and shot.
Re: Only In England by bindex(m): 4:30pm On Jan 14, 2009
JustGood:

That is what happens when freedom is taken to certan heights. Cant you all see what the British and American societies have become in terms of morals?

They think nothing of doing terrible things. Kids taking knives to school in societies where there is relative safety and comfort. Kids going on shooting sprees because the society tells them their lives are meaningless. A society that does not know God is a society that will be full of people whose lives have no meaning.

When they 'enjoy' briefly and realise that there is no deep satisfaction in what they consider to be enjoyment, their lives go pear shaped.

Do the Nigerians that believe in the existence of a God/Gods live better lives than the Americans or the British? Kids are being killed in Nigeria because of Religion, Who are those living a life of more meaning the British society that is Godless or the very religious Nigerian society? your entire post is a joke.

davidylan:

If Christains assuredly know that Allah doesn't exist they wont even bother with Moslems at all.
Re: Only In England by JeSoul(f): 6:32pm On Jan 14, 2009
"There's probably no God"

. . . that's the best the brilliant, educated, liberated thinking atheist activists could come up with?  grin
Re: Only In England by manmustwac(m): 8:29pm On Jan 14, 2009
JeSoul (f)
Inside an Isreali F-15 Fighter Jet

Killing over a 1000 innocent Palestinian women and children abi?  cry cry sad sad cry sad cry sad sad
Re: Only In England by JeSoul(f): 8:38pm On Jan 14, 2009
*Warning: Offtopic below*
manmustwac:

JeSoul (f)
Inside an Isreali F-15 Fighter Jet

Killing over a 1000 innocent Palestinian women and children abi? cry cry sad sad cry sad cry
  my brotha, nobody hurts more than me at the needless death of innocent people . . .  but Hamas brought this on themselves, the blood is on their turban. Isreal left them alone in Gaza but no they kept firing tens of rockets a day at Isreal . . . where were your tears when they were "killing innocent Isreali women and children"?    Hamas can end this violence if they stop a war that they first initiated.

As for me, I remain in my fighter jet until the "murderHamas" are wiped out or crippled beyond repair.
Re: Only In England by manmustwac(m): 8:53pm On Jan 14, 2009
JeSoul:

*Warning: Offtopic below* my brotha, nobody hurts more than me at the needless death of innocent people . . . but Hamas brought this on themselves, the blood is on their turban. Isreal left them alone in Gaza but no they kept firing tens of rockets a day at Isreal . . . where were your tears when they were "killing innocent Isreali women and children"? Hamas can end this violence if they stop a war that they first initiated.

As for me, I remain in my fighter jet until the "murderHamas" are wiped out or crippled beyond repair.
Nobody weeps more than you? Then why do u support the war then? And how can you compare over 1000 dead palestinians to just just 13 dead israelis? The rockets are not doing any damage apart from making israelis scared. How can you compare that with what is happening in Gaza? Your inside your fighter jet killing 4 innocent civilians for every Hamas freedom fghter and u decieve yourself by saying that your weeping.

Well in the end whether they like it or not both parties have to negotiate because this war will not stop Hamas fighting to end the occupation. Trust me smiley smiley
Re: Only In England by JeSoul(f): 9:13pm On Jan 14, 2009
Maybe we should make a topic for this cos I don't want to derail this thread.

Anyways, I said nobody "hurts" more than me, not weeps. Those are 2 very different things. Isreal is justified in the attack, but I regret the loss of innocent lives. That's what I meant. What about the cowardly "freedom fighters" hiding behind women & children? using them as human shields so they can run crying to the UN about "Isreal killing women & children".

Lemme ask you: if you have a bank robbery with 2 armed robbers - do you send only 2 cops to the bank to get them? So all this proportional talk needs to stop. There's no such thing, Isreal should not apologize for being stronger, larger and more powerful cos if Hamas had the chance they would nuclear bomb their behinds back to the stone age.

I don't think any person with a knowledge of history expects the fighting to ever stop. They've been fighting since the earth was young, they will continue until the earth passes away. I stay on the side of common sense: Hamas stop rocketing Isreal, Isreal will stop the attack.

But of course, common sense is not trait particular to most practitioners of the "religion of peace".

oga Wac lets open another thread if you still wish to question the morality of my current location

*ending offtopic, I promise*
Re: Only In England by PastorAIO: 3:36pm On Jan 15, 2009
duduspace:

Why are you denying your name now? I beleive that in every possible use of the word (not only in common usage), a pastor is someone who preaches or should I sue you for impersonating a pastor and deceiving us all on the forum? grin tongue

Actually a pastor is someone who cares for people. Strictly speaking, a pastor is a shepherd. But anyone who feeds (materially and spiritually) and cares for a group of people is a pastor. Not every pastor gets up on the podium to preach so saying that a pastor is someone who preaches is a little wrong though I get where you're coming from.

Which kin lawyer you get? If you wan sue me, let me warn you. I get 3 QCs for here wey dey ready to maul anybody that so much as contemplates going toe to toe with me in a court of Law. you have been warned.

duduspace:

Probability in any way you use it does introduces an element of uncertainty which of course is why people lie (in attempting to convince others of their point of view for all types of gain yu can think of). If you're implying in any way that these guys should be sanctioned for this message, then all manstream religious figures should be in jail or even in some circumstances be taken out and shot.

I don't know about shooting o, but I think that it is very good that religious doctrines are being held up to scrutiny. Since many religious people don't do much scrutinizing of their religion I think that the challenges set by the atheists is actually a positive thing.
Re: Only In England by duduspace(m): 7:33pm On Jan 15, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Actually a pastor is someone who cares for people. Strictly speaking, a pastor is a shepherd. But anyone who feeds (materially and spiritually) and cares for a group of people is a pastor. Not every pastor gets up on the podium to preach so saying that a pastor is someone who preaches is a little wrong though I get where you're coming from.

Which kin lawyer you get? If you wan sue me, let me warn you. I get 3 QCs for here wey dey ready to maul anybody that so much as contemplates going toe to toe with me in a court of Law. you have been warned.

Hmmm, I do like the definition of a pastor you've given and it does shed a lot of light on the role of pastors. I now understand why most pastors are given to lying, it is simply cos they understand that most people are afraid to face the truth so in the spirit of caring for them they feed them with lies.
Well, I don't need such care cos I can face the truth that noone knows for certain how this world really came to be or how it will end, what the heck even the biblical apostle paul in one of his more sincere moments did confess to knowing in part.
I'm not scared of your 3QCs, there is always a limit to which you can stretch the truth before it starts to unravel before your very eyes as the christian faith is increasingly discovering these days. tongue tongue tongue

Pastor AIO:

I don't know about shooting o, but I think that it is very good that religious doctrines are being held up to scrutiny. Since many religious people don't do much scrutinizing of their religion I think that the challenges set by the atheists is actually a positive thing.

I love you man (and not in a gay manner), I think we'll get along just fine.
Re: Only In England by thehomer: 10:50pm On Jan 17, 2009
It's not necessarily an attack on Christianity. There are a lot of other religions with a belief in one or more gods.
Re: Only In England by Recognise: 5:27pm On Jan 18, 2009
deleted
Re: Only In England by FBS: 9:34am On Jan 20, 2009
This ppl are not even sure of themselves. Besides, is it not possible to enjoy life and believe in God? There is God.

(1) (Reply)

Abuzola And I / Are Pastors Motivational Speakers ? / Saudi Textbooks Instruct Children In How To Carry Out Amputations For Sharia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.