Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? (61839 Views)

Hausa / Fulani Men (pictures) / Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Beautiful Hausa /fulani Girls ....( Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaboy(m): 2:50am On Mar 12, 2015
Nowenuse:

No my brother. Hausanized fulanis are still very much different from the pure hausas.

Some hausanized fulanis may still manage to be able to speak a few words in fulfude language, but no matter what Hausa remains their native tongue/first language, unlike most of the pure fulanis in Adamawa/Taraba/Gombe axis.

I may create a thread on that
Meanwhile we also have the YORUBANIZED FULANIS in Ilorin.
my mum is pure fulani and my dad too but I can't the lang what does that make me undecided
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaboy(m): 3:06am On Mar 12, 2015
Fulaman198:
First and foremost, what is a Hausa-Fulani? You are either Hausa or you are Fulani.

Secondly, this is a dumb question. It's like asking why don't Igbo and Yoruba Christians marry each other a lot.....

Culture <> religion, religion is only but a subset of culture.
Hy bruh cheesy
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 4:55am On Mar 12, 2015
Fulaboy:
Hy bruh cheesy

An a pullo? you just created your account today
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaboy(m): 12:36pm On Mar 12, 2015
Fulaman198:

An a pullo? you just created your account today
I've been on NL for a while I deactivate my former moniker. sadly you can speak fulbe but I can't undecided
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 4:40pm On Mar 12, 2015
Fulaboy:
my mum is pure fulani and my dad too but I can't the lang what does that make me undecided

It doesnt make u anything.
U are still a fulani as long as anyone is concerned.
Ability to speak a language perfectly well is absolutely not the criteria for determining ur ethnicity in the Nigerian societies. Ur parentage (especially paternity is).

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 4:43pm On Mar 12, 2015
Fulaman, i guess u are a muslim, or aren't u?

Then u have ur own lapses because islam is not the ancestral culture or religion of ur ancestors rather it belongs to the arabs.
So u are still not a pure fulani in a sense, rather an 'Islamized fulani' cos there are still fulani traditionalists who keep on to the ancestral culture of their fathers and i guess u are not one.

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by steppins: 5:36pm On Mar 12, 2015
Wulfruna:
Going by what I have learnt, Hausa Muslims often have difficulty accepting Yoruba Muslims as true Muslims.
You just answered the question with this sentence. The rest na epistle, no offense.

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by greall12(m): 5:36pm On Mar 12, 2015
Story

quote author=Nowenuse post=31205980]Hausa-fulanis & Yorubas have the largest & 2nd largest muslim populations in Nigeria, but one wonders why intermarriage btween both groups is not so common.

Igbos & Yorubas who have the largest & 2nd largest christian populations in Nigeria intermarry more often than Hausas do with yorubas and i wonder why.

The only area that may be of exception is the ILORIN AREA of Kwara state.....due to the history of Hausa-Fulanis conquering Ilorin and settling with the yorubas there in large numbers and have been intermarrying down the centuries because of the Fulani Islamic monarchy (emirate rulership) that unites them together.

Aside Ilorin, it is quite very difficult for u to find yoruba muslims from the south-west intermarrying with Hausa-fulanis... Why??[/quote]
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Celepope: 5:36pm On Mar 12, 2015
Because one set are slaves while the other is master.Slaves don't get married to master's children.

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Gboskee(m): 5:37pm On Mar 12, 2015
Nowenuse:
Hausa-fulanis & Yorubas have the largest & 2nd largest muslim populations in Nigeria, but one wonders why intermarriage btween both groups is not so common.

Igbos & Yorubas who have the largest & 2nd largest christian populations in Nigeria intermarry more often than Hausas do with yorubas and i wonder why.

The only area that may be of exception is the ILORIN AREA of Kwara state.....due to the history of Hausa-Fulanis conquering Ilorin and settling with the yorubas there in large numbers and have been intermarrying down the centuries because of the Fulani Islamic monarchy (emirate rulership) that unites them together.

Aside Ilorin, it is quite very difficult for u to find yoruba muslims from the south-west intermarrying with Hausa-fulanis... Why??
face your front @ op

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by haibe(m): 5:37pm On Mar 12, 2015
Nigerians are confused people, they forget religion when it gets to inter-tribal marriage.. hypocrites
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Adyrin(m): 5:39pm On Mar 12, 2015
The latter sees the former as "adultrated" sort Ooº° mixed breed and not committed!
Like the wouldn't KILL for the course of the religion et. al.
Thus the gap!

♍γ̲̣̣ idea though!

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by NoreenUG(f): 5:41pm On Mar 12, 2015
because yoruba muslims are still seen as 'infidels' by hausa-fulani muslims.

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Jarus(m): 5:42pm On Mar 12, 2015
I am a Yoruba Muslim married to a Fulani Muslim.

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by ERODEDEAST(f): 5:43pm On Mar 12, 2015
Fulaman198:
First and foremost, what is a Hausa-Fulani? You are either Hausa or you are Fulani.

Secondly, this is a dumb question. It's like asking why don't Igbo and Yoruba Christians marry each other a lot.....

Culture <> religion, religion is only but a subset of culture.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by victorD3: 5:46pm On Mar 12, 2015
Because they only inter marry to fight Igbos

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by allanphash7(m): 5:46pm On Mar 12, 2015
I honestly hate Religion

Islam = fake
Christanity = rubbish

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by ERODEDEAST(f): 5:49pm On Mar 12, 2015
The Yoruba Muslems drink beer and party while the Hausa/Fulanis do theirs in code especially Beer drinking. cool

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by UnknownT: 6:02pm On Mar 12, 2015
Even on this thread in the Islam for Muslim section that Mac updates and locks www.nairaland.com/1935933/muslim-singles-matching-service-msms , about match making that I follow, I have come to realize that only Yoruba Muslims seek for 'match'. Is it that there are no Hausa/Fulani Muslim seeking for wife/husband on Nairaland or do they consider Match-making as haram?

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by XBLadez: 6:04pm On Mar 12, 2015
It's simple! The Yoruba Muslim is civilised. He believes we all can coexist in peace even though we come from different backgrounds and religion.
On the contrary, the Hausa Muslim is semi-illiterate, antisocial and extremely inclined to the teachings of Quran. He's a savage and practically Boko haramist. So the difference is vividly clear

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by yaskarahyelhope(f): 6:04pm On Mar 12, 2015
Nowenuse:
Hausa-fulanis & Yorubas have the largest & 2nd largest muslim populations in Nigeria, but one wonders why intermarriage btween both groups is not so common.

Aside Ilorin, it is quite very difficult for u to find yoruba muslims from the south-west intermarrying with Hausa-fulanis... Why??

Are U kidding me? A Hausa/Fulani Muslim don't believe in any other Muslims apart from them. D Yorubas don't know how much d Hausa/Fulani Muslims hate dem. Check out d 2011 post election violence. They were d target of d fight.

A nurse who worked at AKTH hospital Kano was almost killed. She narrowly escaped with her life. She was a Yoruba Muslim who joined d vehicle of her Hausa colleague during d post election violence, 2011 to be dropped off. She begged him to claim her as his wife coz of d violence. D moment d guy reached where d boys were, he pushed her out of his car, telling dem although a Muslim but was Yoruba muslim. She was beaten mercilessly and asked to run for her life. D man believed she was dead. After they resumed work following d curfew lifting, she resumed work. He almost asked d ground to swallow him. He was extra shocked to see her alive. She then narrated her ordeal. Its only d Igbira Muslims they don't joke with. Coz their head dey charge. Hausa/Fulani Muslims marry Yoruba Muslims norni!!

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by thagoldenchild: 6:09pm On Mar 12, 2015
i am a yoruba man i have lived in the north before Fulanis av very beautiful chicks i'll marry one if we click

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by jamilkb(m): 6:09pm On Mar 12, 2015
Lol, My dad and mum are all Hausa, but my step mother is yoruba. Whats weird about that?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by ecorel(m): 6:12pm On Mar 12, 2015
Nowenuse:

Fulaman, how could there be statistical information on this?

Ask most people urself and they will tell u truly this is a fact, just wait for more comments and u'll see.

Are u not wondering how come u are the only one disproving this?

Igbo/yoruba christians intermarry far far more than Hausa/yoruba muslims.

Even amongst the northern n middlebelt christian minorities, we even intermarry with igbos n yorubas far more than yorubas with hausas.

Pls check b4 writing.. Christianity has been and still is d majority in "my middlebelt"

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Abdulleeh: 6:13pm On Mar 12, 2015
Wulfruna:
Going by what I have learnt, Hausa Muslims often have difficulty accepting Yoruba Muslims as true Muslims. Perhaps this is because Yoruba Muslims generally tend to be less rigid about their religion than their Northern counterparts.

I remember a conversation that once ensued between a Yoruba Muslim friend of mine and an Hausa man he engaged to repair his shoe.

The Hausa guy simply refused to accept my friend was Muslim, even after my friend recited passages from the Qu'ran in Arabic. Probably, in the Hausa cobbler's mind, you can't be Muslim if you are not a Northerner.

This perception may account for why we see relatively fewer cases of Hausa Muslim- Yoruba Muslim unions.

You are right to a large extent. I also feel the way yorubas see hausas as inferior beings is also a militating factor.

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by jamilkb(m): 6:13pm On Mar 12, 2015
yaskarahyelhope:

Are U kidding me? A Hausa/Fulani Muslim don't believe in any other Muslims apart from them. D Yoruba don't know how much d Hausa/Fulani Muslims hate dem. Check out d 2011 post election violence. They were of target of d fight.

A nurse who worked at AKTH hospital Kano was almost killed. She narrowly escaped worth her life. She was a Yoruba Muslim who joined d vehicle of her Hausa cl league during d post election violence, 2011 to be dropped off. She begged him to claim her as his wife. D moment d guy reached where d boys were, he pushed her out his car, telling dem although a Muslim but was Yoruba. She was beaten mercilessly and asked to run for her life. D man believed she was dead. After they resumed work following d curfew lifting, she resumed work. He almost asked d ground to swallow him. He was extras shocked to see her alive. she then narrated her ordeal. Its only d Igbira Muslims they don't joke with. Coz their head dey charge. Hausa/Fulani Muslims marry Yoruba Muslims norni!!
haba! This your story is a lie! angry

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by kbshow100(m): 6:15pm On Mar 12, 2015
allanphash7:
I honestly hate Religion

Islam = fake
Christanity = rubbish
You sound like a non religious guy,, are you?
If yes then you Are the first non religous person I encountered
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by ziccoit: 6:17pm On Mar 12, 2015
You get marry to whom you see most. Yoruba Muslims living in the North get marry to Hausa while Hausa too living in the SW marry Yoruba a lot. simple.

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:19pm On Mar 12, 2015
[size=28pt]INTERMARRIAGE IS BAD OO!

ITS ABNORMAL! GODS FORBID!

BTW IGBOS AND YORUBAS ARE FROM SIMILAR CONGOID STOCK THAN FULANIS WHO ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SENEGAMBIAN STOCK PLUS HAUSA WHO FORM ANOTHER DIFFERENT CHADIC BRANCH.

BUT ALL IN ALL INTERMARRIAGE IS ABNORMAL BY TRIBAL NORMS!

AND TRIBE/CULTURE COMES ABOVER RELIGION ESPECIALLY IN TERMS OF MARRIAGE.

IN TERMS OF PRIORITY, A YORUBA MUSLIM MUST RATHER MARRY YORUBA CHRISTIAN THAN A MUSLIM HAUSA.

THAT IS FAIR AND MORAL AND NATURAL.

DONT LET FOREIGN RELIGIONS DESTROY YOUR TRIBES![/size]

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by senier007(m): 6:22pm On Mar 12, 2015
The op is confused, from the title, I though he will try to answer the question but ends up asking question himself, well base on logic and critical thinking, igbo and yoruba live in the south meaning they are closer to each other that the hausas, in the same vein the hausa are closer to the fulanis that's why there is intermarriage between them, even in ilorin is cuz fulanis are closer to yorubas that's why they are marrying each other there, so tha bottom line is because of the geographical and regional settings that sets the hausa and Fulani away from the yorubas makes inter marriage between them a little bit slower in terms of number. For the sake of clarification, hausa and Fulani are two different ethnic groups that can't be be lumped together as one. Did u ever ask this question, why is there very little or no intermarriage between ijaw and yoruba irrespective of their religion? The answer is the same geographical settings and distance cuz love is not a respecter of either religion or ethnicity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ooni Arives Ife Ahead Of His Coronation / Why Oluwo Akanbi Divorced Chanel Chin: The Real Reason / Hausa/Fulani Girls Are The Most Beautiful In Nigeria [Photos]

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65