Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? (61834 Views)

Hausa / Fulani Men (pictures) / Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Beautiful Hausa /fulani Girls ....( Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:25pm On Mar 12, 2015
Mehn We Hausa Maguzawa wont give our daughters to other Hausa forget giving them to Yoruba.

GODS Forbid.

Konji dey badt oo...

Tribe and duty above all.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by allanphash7(m): 6:26pm On Mar 12, 2015
U re 100% right bro but i beleive there is God

Olodumare
kbshow100:

You sound like a non religious guy,, are you?
If yes then you Are the first non religous person I encountered

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by stinggy(m): 6:28pm On Mar 12, 2015
PAGAN9JA:
Mehn We Hausa Maguzawa wont give our daughters to other Hausa forget giving them to Yoruba.

GODS Forbid.

Konji dey badt oo...

So destiny makes my path cross with your sister's, you would deny me the honour?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Trustworthiness: 6:30pm On Mar 12, 2015
Nowenuse:
Fulaman, i guess u are a muslim, or aren't u?

Then u have ur own lapses because islam is not the ancestral culture or religion of ur ancestors rather it belongs to the arabs.
So u are still not a pure fulani in a sense, rather an 'Islamized fulani' cos there are still fulani traditionalists who keep on to the ancestral culture of their fathers and i guess u are not one.

point of correction. Islam is not the culture of Arab but a devine way of life prescribed by God almighty to mankind. The messenger is just an Arab.

Moreover, I think the contributors on this topic have moved away from the op topic.

The only person that have hit the nail in the head is the individual that state that culture Is the contribution.

Also, the intermarriage between yorubas and other tribe in the southern part of the country is mostly between Yoruba man and the other tribe woman. This is because the women from other tribe of the south love the way yorubas threat their women. For any yoruba girl to marry any man other tribe in the south, the man probably was born in the south western part of the country. And must have drop their culture or wash off from his head most of their cultural practices.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by F22RAPTOR(m): 6:31pm On Mar 12, 2015
Shit, they hardly even attend the same central mosques in the core north, they kinda consider them inferior.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:32pm On Mar 12, 2015
stinggy:

So destiny makes my path cross with your sister's, you would deny me the honour?

Its not destiny. If u want u can fall in love and marry with a rock.

You create your destiny which has already been created. Is a cycle. U sabi me?

Your life begins from where you decide to be happy. You have been advised.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:33pm On Mar 12, 2015
Trustworthiness:

point of correction. Islam is not the culture of Arab but a devine way of life prescribed by God almighty to mankind. The messenger is just an Arab.

Moreover, I think the contributors on this topic have moved away from the op topic.

The only person that have hit the nail in the head is the individual that state that culture Is the contribution.

Also, the intermarriage between yorubas and other tribe in the southern part of the country is mostly between Yoruba man and the other tribe woman. This is because the women from other tribe of the south love the way yorubas threat their women. For any yoruba girl to marry any man other tribe in the south, the man probably was born in the south western part of the country. And must have drop their culture or wash off from his head most of their cultural practices.

Shut the fvck up

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 12, 2015
Danrizzle:
*Appropraite reply*. So many 'dumb topics' on nairaland. For 'sanity sake' this is the internet, i wonder why they can't pretend they have sense.
Must you insult...haha....put ur own topic too na, who send u make u open the topic
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by babs01(m): 6:38pm On Mar 12, 2015
IgboMonk:
Yolobass are fake muslims according the slavemasters the Hausa-Fulani, so its a taboo for a slave to inter- marry with his masters
Rubish

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by bammy777(m): 6:44pm On Mar 12, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Wow, by their fooly, you shall know them.
BEst reply. Well done
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by elhafeez(m): 6:46pm On Mar 12, 2015
It's basically because of the culture. The yoruba culture is different than the hausa culture. For example In the hausa culture what the wife earns belongs to the wife alone. While in the yoruba culture the wife earns for the family. In hausa depending on how buoyant the family is the bride brings everything in the house from the matrimonial bed to T.v, fridge the groom just get an empty house she will furnish it. While in yoruba culture the groom buys everything the most yoruba brides bring is kitchen wares and utensils. There are many differences between the two. I am from Offa kwara and my brother married from Kano. And her parent didn't need any convincing it was even my parent that raised objection @ first but accepted after. Marriage between yoruba's and hausa's are on the increase. Its Fulani people that don't allow their children marry another tribe. Even if it's a hausa man. They prefer marring among their relatives. This is comming from someone who was born,bred and spent all his life in the north.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Trustworthiness: 6:47pm On Mar 12, 2015
UnknownT:
Even on this thread in the Islam for Muslim section that Mac updates and locks www.nairaland.com/1935933/muslim-singles-matching-service-msms , about match making that I follow, I have come to realize that only Yoruba Muslims seek for 'match'. Is it that there are no Hausa/Fulani Muslim seeking for wife/husband on Nairaland or do they consider Match-making as haram?

Hausa and fulani Muslims need not to come to nairaland thread. Expecially, their girls because they, mostly all their girls, have accepted polygamous nature of Man. While the yoruba girls have not in spite of the approval by the religion of Islam. Hence, the rush for match making marriage.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by ololo12: 6:50pm On Mar 12, 2015
And Muhammad is his prophet

allanphash7:

Olodumare
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Mar 12, 2015
your reply answers the question... distance is the issue.

senier007:
The op is confused, from the title, I though he will try to answer the question but ends up asking question himself, well base on logic and critical thinking, igbo and yoruba live in the south meaning they are closer to each other that the hausas, in the same vein the hausa are closer to the fulanis that's why there is intermarriage between them, even in ilorin is cuz fulanis are closer to yorubas that's why they are marrying each other there, so tha bottom line is because of the geographical and regional settings that sets the hausa and Fulani away from the yorubas makes inter marriage between them a little bit slower in terms of number. For the sake of clarification, hausa and Fulani are two different ethnic groups that can't be be lumped together as one. Did u ever ask this question, why is there very little or no intermarriage between ijaw and yoruba irrespective of their religion? The answer is the same geographical settings and distance cuz love is not a respecter of either religion or ethnicity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Brightology2(m): 6:51pm On Mar 12, 2015
Google it or beta mk it ur project topic.u can also get statistical info 4rm ifa or sango.
Fulaman198:

Do you have any statistical information to back up your belief?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by waternogetenemy: 6:52pm On Mar 12, 2015
Igbos & Yorubas who have the largest & 2nd largest christian populations in Nigeria intermarry more often than Hausas do with yorubas and i wonder why.

The only area that may be of exception is the ILORIN AREA of Kwara state.....due to the history of Hausa-Fulanis conquering Ilorin and settling with the yorubas there in large numbers and have been intermarrying down the centuries because of the Fulani Islamic monarchy (emirate rulership) that unites them together.

Is dat a fact or opinion? The last time I checked, it was a lagos thing like the hausa and Yoruba illorin thing, no difference. They are many but not yet upto 1% of the marriage population between Igbo and Yorubas, as 99% of Igbos still marry from their tribe and likewise yorubas marrying yorubas.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by notoriousbabe: 7:05pm On Mar 12, 2015
The reason is very simple yoruba muslims are simple,flexible and love life to the fullest,whereas hausa muslims are timid and very rigid in the practice of their religion. Moreover hausa man's preek fit tear toto
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by TI1919(m): 7:08pm On Mar 12, 2015
GEJ is the cause...

grin grin grin cheesy

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by rhames(m): 7:11pm On Mar 12, 2015
Wulfruna:
Going by what I have learnt, Hausa Muslims often have difficulty accepting Yoruba Muslims as true Muslims. Perhaps this is because Yoruba Muslims generally tend to be less rigid about their religion than their Northern counterparts.

I remember a conversation that once ensued between a Yoruba Muslim friend of mine and an Hausa man he engaged to repair his shoe.

The Hausa guy simply refused to accept my friend was Muslim, even after my friend recited passages from the Qu'ran in Arabic. Probably, in the Hausa cobbler's mind, you can't be Muslim if you are not a Northerner.

This perception may account for why we see relatively fewer cases of Hausa Muslim- Yoruba Muslim unions.

[b]
There is a clear difference between the Fulani and Hausa but both are Northerners. The Fulani are the cattle herders and they have their own language and culture separately from the Hausa.

The average Hausa man nowadays has politicized religion to the extent that if a Yoruba man leads a congregational prayer with a Hausa man praying behind it, the Hausa man will re-offer that prayer because of the belief that the other languages in Nigeria are heathens even though they pray the same prayer. They also believe that they arethe only true muslims anywhere in the world.

The reason why Hausa dont marry out their female wards out to other tribes is simply tribalism and racism. Anything about other tribes and their practices are not welcome to the average Hausa man. The second reason is they dont mix with other tribes except during politics. In fact some will give you conditions that if you give birth to a female child, that child will be betrothed to another Hausa man chosen by the family.

However there are still some families either Hausa or Fulanis who don't care about your race or tribe from the core North still marry out their daughters to anyone who is a Muslim.

On the whole, its all about wrong perception.[/b]

The people of Illorin are 80% Yorubas. Despite the Fulani conquest, they still retain their Yoruba identity to this day.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by yaskarahyelhope(f): 7:12pm On Mar 12, 2015
jamilkb:
haba! This your story is a lie! angry

Bros am a living witness coz we are colleagues and its absolutely true. I won't mention names coz d man in question is popular in d hospital. I rest my case!

Make dem no deceive demselves!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by hikmojj(m): 7:14pm On Mar 12, 2015
I have two brothers dt married Hausa

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by kbshow100(m): 7:14pm On Mar 12, 2015
allanphash7:

Olodumare
then how do you thank him after all what he has done to you (to me that is what religion is talking about)

I hope you are not offended with my question
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by luckyboss(m): 7:19pm On Mar 12, 2015
my experience from this post and comments approved to me that Hausa/Fulani had a recognized secrets...
which only can be exposed if such marriage is allowed.
Despite that, calling Yorubas fake muslim shouldn't be enough reason to discriminate them of mutual religious associate.
In no distance time they (Yorubas) will be deprive of being their APC members if they don't have a pointed nose.

hmmmmmm Hausas dey no go school but act pass.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by mmsen: 7:37pm On Mar 12, 2015
haibe:
Nigerians are confused people, they forget religion when it gets to inter-tribal marriage.. hypocrites

Religion should be taken as a synonym for hypocrisy.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by freddaboh(m): 7:43pm On Mar 12, 2015
Wulfruna:
Going by what I have learnt, Hausa Muslims often have difficulty accepting Yoruba Muslims as true Muslims. Perhaps this is because Yoruba Muslims generally tend to be less rigid about their religion than their Northern counterparts.

I remember a conversation that once ensued between a Yoruba Muslim friend of mine and an Hausa man he engaged to repair his shoe.

The Hausa guy simply refused to accept my friend was Muslim, even after my friend recited passages from the Qu'ran in Arabic. Probably, in the Hausa cobbler's mind, you can't be Muslim if you are not a Northerner.

This perception may account for why we see relatively fewer cases of Hausa Muslim- Yoruba Muslim unions.

You are absolutely right.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by nekaa(f): 7:50pm On Mar 12, 2015
my momma was a product of this rare inter-marriage
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by prophetfire: 8:14pm On Mar 12, 2015
Its a master-slave relationship.the master upnorth cnt marry the "slave" downsouth.PATHETIC
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by prophetfire: 8:19pm On Mar 12, 2015
notoriousbabe:
The reason is very simple yoruba muslims are simple,flexible and love life to the fullest,whereas hausa muslims are timid and very rigid in the practice of their religion. Moreover hausa man's preek fit tear toto
picture of your toto they tore or idontbeliveit.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 12, 2015
anonymous6:

I have heard this sentiment myself from family members of mine who are Muslim Yoruba's. I think its the perceptions and stereotype's of southerners vs. northerners have against one another and what you mentioned is part of that, that they feel Yoruba Muslims are not true Muslims is one I have heard Yoruba Muslims experienced. If this is the case it shouldn't be a surprised that there a slight higher intermarriage between Yoruba and other southern tribes then Yoruba and Hausa.
A Yoruba Muslim lady ever told me that " do you know that if there is a religious crisis, this Hausa Muslim Will kill us? " this keeps me wondering till today.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by ChynoBEATS: 8:33pm On Mar 12, 2015
Wulfruna:

Hausa"s are more of Sunni's while yoruba's are More of shia ..... That's y.....

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by wasak(m): 8:53pm On Mar 12, 2015
I'm currently dating a hausa-fulani girl and I'm Yoruba. the issue we are facing currently is that, he family is finding it difficult to accept me.I knew and was already expecting this, even friends and colleagues never saw a future in the union. thankfully, I'm not devastated cos I believe Que Cera Cera.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by knowledgeable: 8:56pm On Mar 12, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

GODS Forbid.

Konji dey badt oo...

But, why are yorubas, it seems the only tribe trying so hard to marry outside their tribe. Is it biological or genetic?. I know they want to have beautiful future generations, of which Igbo women ( Imo women especially) have come to their rescue. The only way they pay the Igbos back is continue to spill out envy, jealous and hatred on Igbos. They go into collaboration with the hausa/fulani in order to marginalize Igbos and continue to have access to their beautiful women. Some times, I feel ashamed for their sake, when some of them confess that they don't want to see biafra cos that will deny them access to Igbo women. Igbos will continue to develop lagos, expose them to global nollywood and continue to nourish their souls with beautiful Igbo women, while they will continue to hate and saiing Buhari as Hausa/Fulani will continue to restrict them access to their beautiful daughters and see how all these are going to end.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ooni Arives Ife Ahead Of His Coronation / Why Oluwo Akanbi Divorced Chanel Chin: The Real Reason / Hausa/Fulani Girls Are The Most Beautiful In Nigeria [Photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.