Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? (61841 Views)

Hausa / Fulani Men (pictures) / Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Beautiful Hausa /fulani Girls ....( Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by xlnc2324: 8:56pm On Mar 12, 2015
[size=16pt]@OP, you have answered the question by yourself, using Ilorin as an example. Due to the percentage of Igbos living in South West, that's why so many intermarriages exist. The population of so called Hausa-Fulani in SouthWest is so small, and the small percentage, majority of them are not professionals or are they well to do other than 'mai guard' jobs.
Above all, it's not only about religion, it's also about who you see and your association with people everyday as regards tribes. [/size]

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaboy(m): 9:01pm On Mar 12, 2015
Nowenuse:

It doesnt make u anything.
U are still a fulani as long as anyone is concerned.
Ability to speak a language perfectly well is absolutely not the criteria for determining ur ethnicity in the Nigerian societies. Ur parentage (especially paternity is).
grin
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by yzgobier(m): 9:07pm On Mar 12, 2015
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by B69U: 9:11pm On Mar 12, 2015
waternogetenemy:

Is dat a fact or opinion? The last time I checked, it was a lagos thing like the hausa and Yoruba illorin thing, no difference. They are many but not yet upto 1% of the marriage population between Igbo and Yorubas, as 99% of Igbos still marry from their tribe and likewise yorubas marrying yorubas.

Igbo marring yoruba is not upto or more than 1000 cases out of 35million to 40million igbos, so dont know wat all the noise is about.

u probably get more Hausa Fulani and Yoruba marriages in Nigeria from Kwara and Kogi, whilst intermarriage with igbos is mainly in Lagos.
knowledgeable:

But, why are yorubas, it seems the only tribe trying so hard to marry outside their tribe. Is it biological or genetic?. I know they want to have beautiful future generations, of which Igbo women ( Imo women especially) have come to their rescue. The only way they pay the Igbos back is continue to spill out envy, jealous and hatred on Igbos. They go into collaboration with the hausa/fulani in order to marginalize Igbos and continue to have access to their beautiful women. Some times, I feel ashamed for their sake, when some of them confess that they don't want to see biafra cos that will deny them access to Igbo women. Igbos will continue to develop lagos, expose them to global nollywood and continue to nourish their souls with beautiful Igbo women, while they will continue to hate and saiing Buhari as Hausa/Fulani will continue to restrict them access to their beautiful daughters and see how all these are going to end.

How many women from Imo do u know? They are very few.

Well nairaland has actually exposed their evil plan and we all know about it now.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 9:57pm On Mar 12, 2015
ecorel:

Pls check b4 writing.. Christianity has been and still is d majority in "my middlebelt"

Pls when i say middlebelt christian minorities, i mean the numerous minority groups of the middlebelt and not the fact that christians are a minority in the middlebelt. No.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 10:04pm On Mar 12, 2015
senier007:
The op is confused, from the title, I though he will try to answer the question but ends up asking question himself, well base on logic and critical thinking, igbo and yoruba live in the south meaning they are closer to each other that the hausas, in the same vein the hausa are closer to the fulanis that's why there is intermarriage between them, even in ilorin is cuz fulanis are closer to yorubas that's why they are marrying each other there, so tha bottom line is because of the geographical and regional settings that sets the hausa and Fulani away from the yorubas makes inter marriage between them a little bit slower in terms of number. For the sake of clarification, hausa and Fulani are two different ethnic groups that can't be be lumped together as one. Did u ever ask this question, why is there very little or no intermarriage between ijaw and yoruba irrespective of their religion? The answer is the same geographical settings and distance cuz love is not a respecter of either religion or ethnicity.

Abeg u dont have a point talking abt geography my brother.
There is no state in Nigeria where yorubas n igbos are equally indigenes of, but do u know that there are states like Kwara n Niger that both Yorubas and Hausas/fulanis are equally indigenes of?

Geographically Yoruba land is as close to hausa land as it is as close to igbo land. ....
There is no point in u comparing ijaw in marriage to yorubas because Ijaws are a minority Nigerian group.
I was comparing d largest ethnic adherent of islam n christianity and ijaws do not belong here cos they dont have the population unlike Yorubas, Hausas n Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 10:14pm On Mar 12, 2015
rhames:

The people of Illorin are 80% Yorubas. Despite the Fulani conquest, they still retain their Yoruba identity to this day.

U are not saying the truth.
Not all Ilorin indigenes consider themselves yorubas, there is a great line of idenity crisis amongst many of the Ilorin indigenes.
Although all of them are yoruba speaking, but some of them reject the Yoruba identity....e.g Olusola Saraki who boldy said that Although he speaks yoruba as his mother tongue and he answers a yoruba name, but thay doesn't mean that he is yoruba.

Not all ilorin yoruba speakers are sure or proud of their yoruba identity. Many of them are prouder of their fulani, hausa or Nupe ancestry/origin.
Thia is sth am very sure of.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Laid2001: 10:49pm On Mar 12, 2015
This is a lie. they intermarry at highest level.
For one, Murtala Muhammads wife is Ajoke. Hope you know that is Yoruba!!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by fulanigirl(f): 11:06pm On Mar 12, 2015
elhafeez:
For example In the hausa culture what the wife earns belongs to the wife alone

Religion not culture. That's an Islamic practice not hausa culture.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by allanphash7(m): 11:11pm On Mar 12, 2015
I only say thank you olodumare den good to people around me and show dem love afterwhile

Not offended bro
kbshow100:
then how do you thank him after all what he has done to you (to me that is what religion is talking about)

I hope you are not offended with my question
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by rhames(m): 11:23pm On Mar 12, 2015
Nowenuse:

Not all Ilorin indigenes consider themselves yorubas, there is a great line of idenity crisis amongst many of the Ilorin indigenes.
Although all of them are yoruba speaking, but some of them reject the Yoruba identity....e.g Olusola Saraki who boldy said that Although he speaks yoruba as his mother tongue and he answers a yoruba name, but thay doesn't mean that he is yoruba.

Not all ilorin yoruba speakers are sure or proud of their yoruba identity. Many of them are prouder of their fulani, hausa or Nupe ancestry/origin.

They are Yorubas and sure proud they are. An average Ilorin man prefers association with the Yorubas for cultural affinity. They only disown their language for political advantage. Sadly it has not paid good dividends to them at all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by onyibajoe(m): 11:34pm On Mar 12, 2015
The muslim hausas see the yoruba muslims as hypocrites and as such don't want to have anything to do with them.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 12:38am On Mar 13, 2015
ERODEDEAST:
[s][/s]

Cross out your name while you are at it
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 12:45am On Mar 13, 2015
Fulaboy:
I've been on NL for a while I deactivate my former moniker. sadly you can speak fulbe but I can't undecided

What was your other name Hausaboy
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 12:47am On Mar 13, 2015
Nowenuse:
Fulaman, i guess u are a muslim, or aren't u?

Then u have ur own lapses because islam is not the ancestral culture or religion of ur ancestors rather it belongs to the arabs.
So u are still not a pure fulani in a sense, rather an 'Islamized fulani' cos there are still fulani traditionalists who keep on to the ancestral culture of their fathers and i guess u are not one.

Every Fulani regardless of clan or sub culture is a Muslim (99%). Some cultures just practise Islam more so than others
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 12:52am On Mar 13, 2015
notoriousbabe:
The reason is very simple yoruba muslims are simple,flexible and love life to the fullest,whereas hausa muslims are timid and very rigid in the practice of their religion. Moreover hausa man's preek fit tear toto

Sounds like you have experience
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by ChristyG(f): 1:35am On Mar 13, 2015
U ibos are so dum.b,it gives one headache,u are nots making sense at all.inter tribal marriage in naija is still in his minute minority,so i dont know which useless hairy manly ibo women u are talking about.quote author=knowledgeable post=31561637]

But, why are yorubas, it seems the only tribe trying so hard to marry outside their tribe. Is it biological or genetic?. I know they want to have beautiful future generations, of which Igbo women ( Imo women especially) have come to their rescue. The only way they pay the Igbos back is continue to spill out envy, jealous and hatred on Igbos. They go into collaboration with the hausa/fulani in order to marginalize Igbos and continue to have access to their beautiful women. Some times, I feel ashamed for their sake, when some of them confess that they don't want to see biafra cos that will deny them access to Igbo women. Igbos will continue to develop lagos, expose them to global nollywood and continue to nourish their souls with beautiful Igbo women, while they will continue to hate and saiing Buhari as Hausa/Fulani will continue to restrict them access to their beautiful daughters and see how all these are going to end.

[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by adamskutty(m): 1:38am On Mar 13, 2015
Fulaman198:

Sounds like you have experience
This is quite interesting. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by ChristyG(f): 1:43am On Mar 13, 2015
Nowenuse:

pls try and lie reasonable,all d yorubas from kwara I know are proud of their Yoruba heritage,u can't use saraki as an example whose case is political,all dose nupe and Fulani are in d minority and that is a fact.yorubas in kwara that even want to join d SW back,if u are talking about religion then they might be closer to them but culture wise they are not..oyedepo,femi adebayo,kunle afolayan,dare art alade are from that axis and they have denied being yorubas.talk another thing abeg

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by ChristyG(f): 1:46am On Mar 13, 2015
onyibajoe:
The muslim hausas see the yoruba muslims as hypocrites and as such don't want to have anything to do with them.
what does a foo.lish Ibo man like u know,gbenu e fake,ode alainironu
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by onyibajoe(m): 6:44am On Mar 13, 2015
1. Back to sender.
2. Abuse is your trade mark.
ChristyG:
what does a foo.lish Ibo man like u know,gbenu e fake,ode alainironu

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 8:15am On Mar 13, 2015
It never occurred to you that just maybe it's because they speak different languages and have different cultures?

Also why is it that the majority of Idiots that posted their garbage opinions here are Igbos?

I mean can you believe the gall of these people! Just look at how they flooded this thread with condescending comments and garbage assumptions. I honestly have never seen people so dedicated to hating others like this (aside from Right Wingers in the US)
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 8:39am On Mar 13, 2015
rhames:

They are Yorubas and sure proud they are. An average Ilorin man prefers association with the Yorubas for cultural affinity. They only disown their language for political advantage. Sadly it has not paid good dividends to them at all.

Pls get my point.
I did not say all Ilorin people are not proud yorubas, what i said is that some of them are not proud yorubas.
It is a simple cases of identity crisis just as u find amongst the Niger-deltan Igbos, some of them are proud of their igbo ancestry while some others deny their igbo ancestry due to the fact that they have a greater parr of their ancestry from another tribe or it may just b as a result of political incidences in the past.
Ilroin people were conquered by Hausa-fulani jihadists, so it is a normal thing for them to loose a significant part of their culture and acquire some of their conquerors.

There are some ilorin indigenes that are proud of their yoruba ancestry/origin WHILE there are some who deny their yoruba origin regardless of any political reason. It is just a fact because i have come across many instances of such.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 8:46am On Mar 13, 2015
ChristyG:
pls try and lie reasonable,all d yorubas from kwara I know are proud of their Yoruba heritage,u can't use saraki as an example whose case is political,all dose nupe and Fulani are in d minority and that is a fact.yorubas in kwara that even want to join d SW back,if u are talking about religion then they might be closer to them but culture wise they are not..oyedepo,femi adebayo,kunle afolayan,dare art alade are from that axis and they have denied being yorubas.talk another thing abeg

Thank God u said ALL YORUBAS FROM KWARA U KNOW, how many do u know from ILORIN MAIN TOWN?
Most of these people u mentioned are from Kwara south, the people of Kwara south absolutely have no problem of identity crisis. Kwara south people were never conquered by the fulanis and are not ruled by an emirate. And that is why their yoruba culture and identity is fully intact.
The place of debate here is Ilorin (Kwara central) where the fulanis, hausas n Nupes conquered and migrated to settle massively and have intermixed radically with the original indigenous yorubas.

KWARA NORTH is not Yoruba land, it is inhabited by Nupes, Baribas, Bussawa, fulanis e.t.c.

One thing in Kwara is that at least 90% of the population speak Yoruba either as a 1st or 2nd language.
Even Kwara north that is never yoruba land, yet if u go there, many of the Nupes, bariba e.t.c can speak fluent yoruba.
All Ilorin indigenes are 1st language yoruba speakers.
Most of the fulani and nupes who settled in Ilorin have been yorubanized cos they answer yoruba names and speak the language as native seakers. So how do u tell who is a yoruba from who is not in that Ilorin?
Cos even the original pure yorubas of the land have been seriously intermixed with d Nupes n fulanis by intermarriage and they are all ruled by the fulani islamic emirate.

Thats why u can find a common Ilorin man answering a name like ALHAJI MUSTAPHA ADEWALE DANFULANI.
Now u tell me if he is a yoruba man or a fulani man
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by ChristyG(f): 9:00am On Mar 13, 2015
Nowenuse:

Thank God u said ALL YORUBAS FROM KWARA U KNOW, how many do u know from ILORIN MAIN TOWN?
Most of these people u mentioned are from Kwara south, the people of Kwara south absolutely have no problem of identity crisis. Kwara south people were never conquered by the fulanis and are not ruled by an emirate. And that is why their yoruba culture and identity is fully intact.
The place of debate here is Ilorin (Kwara central) where the fulanis, hausas n Nupes conquered and migrated to settle massively and have intermixed radically with the original indigenous yorubas.

KWARA NORTH is not Yoruba land, it is inhabited by Nupes, Baribas, Bussawa, fulanis e.t.c.

So, never u generalize Kwara as being proudly Yoruba because that is very far from the truth.
and how many kwara Yoruba do u know too,u have no proof for the jargons u are writing here,so why should I buy ur own story?the fact is still that yorubas are still d majority in kwara whether u like it or not.we have Yoruba groups in kwara and kogi that trying to form another state from d north,is it dose same people that are now denying their heritage?u are even contradicting urself here,u created a thread about why there are low numbers of Yoruba Muslims marrying Fulani Muslims despite being together in d same state yet u are saying they are denying their Yoruba heritage.why aren't they now marrying the fulanis in large numbers?nigga pls stop contradicting yourself.even in kwara,most yorubas are married to yorubas

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by gidado14(m): 9:25am On Mar 13, 2015
Nowenuse:
Hausa-fulanis & Yorubas have the largest & 2nd largest muslim populations in Nigeria, but one wonders why intermarriage btween both groups is not so common.

Igbos & Yorubas who have the largest & 2nd largest christian populations in Nigeria intermarry more often than Hausas do with yorubas and i wonder why.

The only area that may be of exception is the ILORIN AREA of Kwara state.....due to the history of Hausa-Fulanis conquering Ilorin and settling with the yorubas there in large numbers and have been intermarrying down the centuries because of the Fulani Islamic monarchy (emirate rulership) that unites them together.

Aside Ilorin, it is quite very difficult for u to find yoruba muslims from the south-west intermarrying with Hausa-fulanis... Why??
WHO SAID SO? AM A HAUSA MAN BUT MY COUSIN MARRIED A YORUBA MAN AND THEY ARE HAPPY WITH A BABY BOY
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Trinxie(f): 10:08am On Mar 13, 2015
grin ...
They don't really intermarry except for places where the Hausa/fulani people once had hold on or fought in wars. Making those Fulani/Hausa people indigenous. Like Old-Oyo and Ilorin.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 10:12am On Mar 13, 2015
ChristyG:
and how many kwara Yoruba do u know too,u have no proof for the jargons u are writing here,so why should I buy ur own story?the fact is still that yorubas are still d majority in kwara whether u like it or not.we have Yoruba groups in kwara and kogi that trying to form another state from d north,is it dose same people that are now denying their heritage?u are even contradicting urself here,u created a thread about why there are low numbers of Yoruba Muslims marrying Fulani Muslims despite being together in d same state yet u are saying they are denying their Yoruba heritage.why aren't they now marrying the fulanis in large numbers?nigga pls stop contradicting yourself.even in kwara,most yorubas are married to yorubas

Madam, i am from the middlebelt zone, i know Kwara n Kogi areas very well almost as well as i know my own people cos Yorubas in Kwara n Kogi unfortunately for them fell into our zone.
Politically, socially and in many other aspects, their faith is tied with ours and not u tribalistic Yorubas of the south-west.

Go to Lokoja for instance, Lokoja as d capital of Kogi, there are Okun (yoruba) indigenes of Lokoja, there u also find Ebira indigenes and in the same town u find Nupe speaking indigenes n Igala.
All these groups live daily together, intermarry, trade together, e.t.c and some of them speak each other's language, so dont be surprised to find yorubas from Kogi or Kwara who are more used to other middlebelt tribes than their fellow tribalistic yorubas from the hinterlands of Osun, Ogun or Oyo.

Kwara n Kogi yorubas have acquired a great part of culture from influence of middlebelt groups and many of them who although are now yorubas today but they are still proud of their Nupe, Ebira, igala ancestry.
Go to Ayegunle town in Kogi west, one of the largest muslim Okun-Yoruba towns, and u will see that most of the Okun-Yorubas there have Nupe ancestry because due to d fierce wars that took place btw the Okun-yorubas and the Nupes, many Nupe slaves were captured and integrated into Okun society, as well as many Okun slaves who were captured and taken to Nupe land, became Nupenized and subsequently left Bida and migrated again back to Okun land and that was how they took islam to Kogi yoruba areas. Let me pause here.
I know am taking u to a direction of history u know absolutely nothing about.
Just to tell u that i may know more about these middlebelt yorubas than u may know.
So dont just come in here from the Southwest and start speaking for all the Yorubas in Kogi n Kwara as if u know everything about them and what they want.

I am not saying that all of these to make a point that d kogi n kwara yorubas prefer to be with middlebelt than with their fellow yoruba kit n kins, but only to make u understand that these Kogi n Kwara yorubas are diffrent in a way from u Yorubas of southwest, in the sense that their different histories have shaped them in a different way to have a different perspective in some aspects.

Its not a matter of u bragging about whether yorubas are the majority in Kwara or not, but what is the percentage of this Kwara yorubas who are proudly yoruba, (not those who have not been mixed or brainwashed to believe less in their yoruba origin and believe more in their islamic/emirate origin).
It's a matter of u understanding the percentage of these Kwara yorubas who would be ready to die for their yoruba identity and not those who will claim yoruba to u when they like or when they feel they want to get a favor from u and tomoro when they are faced with another decision they will disclaim yoruba and claim something else.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by ChristyG(f): 10:33am On Mar 13, 2015
Nowenuse:

Madam, i am from the middlebelt zone, i know Kwara n Kogi areas very well almost as well as i know my own people cos Yorubas in Kwara n Kogi unfortunately for them fell into our zone.
Politically, socially and in many other aspects, their faith is tied with ours and not u tribalistic Yorubas of the south-west.

Go to Lokoja for instance, Lokoja as d capital of Kogi, there are Okun (yoruba) indigenes of Lokoja, there u also find Ebira indigenes and in the same town u find Nupe speaking indigenes n Igala.
All these groups live daily together, intermarry, trade together, e.t.c and some of them speak each other's language, so dont be surprised to find yorubas from Kogi or Kwara who are more used to other middlebelt tribes than their fellow tribalistic yorubas from the hinterlands of Osun, Ogun or Oyo.

Kwara n Kogi yorubas have acquired a great part of culture from influence of middlebelt groups and many of them who although are now yorubas today but they are still proud of their Nupe, Ebira, igala ancestry.
Go to Ayegunle town in Kogi west, one of the largest muslim Okun-Yoruba towns, and u will see that most of the Okun-Yorubas there have Nupe ancestry because due to d fierce wars that took place btw the Okun-yorubas and the Nupes, many Nupe slaves were captured and integrated into Okun society, as well as many Okun slaves who were captured and taken to Nupe land, became Nupenized and subsequently left Bida and migrated again back to Okun land and that was how they took islam to Kogi yoruba areas. Let me pause here.
I know am taking u to a direction of history u know absolutely nothing about.
Just to tell u that i may know more about these middlebelt yorubas than u may know.
So dont just come in here from the Southwest and start speaking for all the Yorubas in Kogi n Kwara as if u know everything about them and what they want.

I am not saying that all of these to make a point that d kogi n kwara yorubas prefer to be with middlebelt than with their fellow yoruba kit n kins, but only to make u understand that these Kogi n Kwara yorubas are diffrent in a way from u Yorubas of southwest, in the sense that their different histories have shaped them in a different way to have a different perspective in some aspects.

Its not a matter of u bragging about whether yorubas are the majority in Kwara or not, but what is the percentage of this Kwara yorubas who are proudly yoruba, (not those who have not been mixed or brainwashed to believe less in their yoruba origin and believe more in their islamic/emirate origin).
It's a matter of u understanding the percentage of these Kwara yorubas who would be ready to die for their yoruba identity and not those who will claim yoruba to u when they like or when they feel they want to get a favor from u and tomoro when they are faced with another decision they will disclaim yoruba and claim something else.
now u are not making sense,u are not even Yoruba yet u believe u have a right to speak for them because of some fake identity u call middle belt,it is funny u refer to the SW yorubas as tribalistic like dose from the middle belt arent tribalistic or nigeria is not a tribalistic country yet the kwara yorubas refuse to marry their neighbors in large numbers as it should be,u always have a way of downplaying the influence d SW yorubas have on their northern brothers,I have noticed that on ur middle belt post.the fact dat u have iota of proof to show,u chating jargons,the yorubas from dose axis I know want to move away from ur useless middle belt identity cos it never favours them except from when it comes to politics.they are not like ur Jos people that have abandoned their language for Hausa,so u can't speak for them. from this ur thread,how many yorubas have u seen confirming ur illogical theory?even they exist,they are in d tiny minority.when u have reasonable proof and also examples of people with those kind of identity then ur theory will make sense,u can continue looking for reasons why kwara yorubas don't inter marry with their neighbors while they deny their heritage,sho gbo,Wa pe nbe

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 10:35am On Mar 13, 2015
ChristyG.

Yorubas (mixed n pure yorubas) constitute about 70% of Kwara population, the remaining 30% are not yorubas.
The issue here is determining the percentage of the pure yorubas from the mixed yorubas in Kwara central (Ilorin emirate).
Kwara south people have no problem at all as most of them are pure breed yorubas.

Kogi Yorubas do not have much of a problem because unlike the Kwara people, they were not conquered by d emirate system, although the influence still robbed on them in a way.

How sure are u that the yorubas of Kwara n Kogi will soon get a state of theirs?
Do u know that there are many yorubas of Ilorin ( especially the mixed ilorin yorubas) who are working day and night to ensure that this will not work? because they probably feel that creating a state from them different from Kwara would be an attempt to merge them back with the Southwest, and they prefer to be remain classified as North-central? as they fell that they being part of Southwest will emphasize more of their yorubaness than their emirate/northern origins.

Pls make no mistake, i am not in anway against the yorubas of Kwara n Kogi merging with their southwest brothers n sisters, am in full support of it because one thing is that we from the middlebelt and those from the core-north can hardly regard these yorubas as part of us, as many of us feel that anything yoruba at all belongs to the southwest and this has made these Kwara n Kogi yorubas suffer discrimination in some aspects.

Am only trying to tell u what is on ground, and from my view of things, the problem with d Kogi n Kwara yorubas are the MIXED YORUBAS OF ILORIN, and do u know that unfortunately, these mixed yorubas are the ones who have a greater political say and stronghold in that Kwara state??
This is why when i see u bragging about yorubas being majority in Kwara as if that is all and all, i just look at ur comment and shake my head, cos there are some things u do not understand.

I am not contradicting myself, cos i made it clear that Yorubas of Kwara are an exception to this fact because of their history with Hausa-fulani conquest.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by havennie(f): 10:48am On Mar 13, 2015
ChristyG:
now u are not making sense,u are not even Yoruba yet u believe u have a right to speak for them because of some fake identity u call middle belt,it is funny u refer to the SW yorubas as tribalistic like dose from the middle belt arent tribalistic or nigeria is not a tribalistic country yet the kwara yorubas refuse to marry their neighbors in large numbers as it should be,u always have a way of downplaying the influence d SW yorubas have on their northern brothers,I have noticed that on ur middle belt post.the fact dat u have iota of proof to show,u chating jargons,the yorubas from dose axis I know want to move away from ur useless middle belt identity cos it never favours them except from when it comes to politics.they are not like ur Jos people that have abandoned their language for Hausa,so u can't speak for them. from this ur thread,how many yorubas have u seen confirming ur illogical theory?even they exist,they are in d tiny minority.when u have reasonable proof and also examples of people with those kind of identity then ur theory will make sense,u can continue looking for reasons why kwara yorubas don't inter marry with their neighbors while they deny their heritage,sho gbo,Wa pe nbe

Madam, pls Nowenuse is very correct in a way because i have an Ilorin friend whom we schooled together, this girl had a hausa name, islamic name and a yoruba name, and i'd ask her, ''which tribe are u?'', but she will tell me she is Ilorin by tribe, and i'll be like ''is Ilorin a tribe or a city'' and she would be confused, sometimes she will say she is yoruba but her mother is partly fulani.....so what about your hausa name? and she will say her grandfather is hausa.
Even me sef get confused? how can ur grandfather be Hausa as u say but u now u say u are yoruba?
So pls i really believe Nowenuse about that identity crisis of Ilorin people, at least from what i expereinced from Zainab my old friend.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by ChristyG(f): 10:50am On Mar 13, 2015
Nowenuse:
ChristyG.

Yorubas (mixed n pure yorubas) constitute about 70% of Kwara population, the remaining 30% are not yorubas.
The issue here is determining the percentage of the pure yorubas from the mixed yorubas in Kwara central (Ilorin emirate).
Kwara south people have no problem at all as most of them are pure breed yorubas.

Kogi Yorubas do not have much of a problem because unlike the Kwara people, they were not conquered by d emirate system, although the influence still robbed on them in a way.

How sure are u that the yorubas of Kwara n Kogi will soon get a state of theirs?
Do u know that there are many yorubas of Ilorin ( especially the mixed ilorin yorubas) who are working day and night to ensure that this will not work? because they probably feel that creating a state from them different from Kwara would be an attempt to merge them back with the Southwest, and they prefer to be remain classified as North-central? as they fell that they being part of Southwest will emphasize more of their yorubaness than their emirate/northern origins.

Pls make no mistake, i am not in anway against the yorubas of Kwara n Kogi merging with their southwest brothers n sisters, am in full support of it because one thing is that we from the middlebelt and those from the core-north can hardly regard these yorubas as part of us, as many of us feel that anything yoruba at all belongs to the southwest and this has made these Kwara n Kogi yorubas suffer discrimination in some aspects.

Am only trying to tell u what is on ground, and from my view of things, the problem with d Kogi n Kwara yorubas are the MIXED YORUBAS OF ILORIN, and do u know that unfortunately, these mixed yorubas are the ones who have a greater political say and stronghold in that Kwara state??
This is why when i see u bragging about yorubas being majority in Kwara as if that is all and all, i just look at ur comment and shake my head, cos there are some things u do not understand.

I am not contradicting myself, cos i made it clear that Yorubas of Kwara are an exception to this fact because of their history with Hausa-fulani conquest.

the yorubas of the SW have never descriminated against the kwara yorubas,many are here in SW with marrying and living with us,many of them are in Yoruba nollywood doing very well for themselves,the likes of femi adebayo,kunle afolayan,adebayo salami,fausat balogun,etc and nobody will remind them of not being from south west but I can't say that for the middle belt,where they are just being used for politics.
they are more that are in support of yorubas in that axis joining d SW than those against it,when this country gets a proper true federalism,am sure they will get it cos they have fighting for it for long.this mixed yorubas that u are shouting def,they are not more than the pure ones

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Why Oluwo Akanbi Divorced Chanel Chin: The Real Reason / Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ooni Arives Ife Ahead Of His Coronation / Hausa/Fulani Girls Are The Most Beautiful In Nigeria [Photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.