Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? (61844 Views)

Hausa / Fulani Men (pictures) / Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Beautiful Hausa /fulani Girls ....( Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jan 17, 2016
Nowenuse:

Thank God u acknowledged the true fact. Unlike some deceptive and silly muslims who will argue sth like this thinking that all christians are fools.

Yes i agree with u that there was racism in christianity but that has died off i tell u.
Today go to the UK, the seat of anglican leadership, go to USA, where most missionaries who evangelized many africans hailed from, u will find churches and not just small churches, but mega churches with black preachers and so many white followers. Infact today, among the top 10 richest men of God in the world, 5 are Nigerians and these men of God have followers all over the world including so many whites.

Now i ask u, can a black man lead arabs in islamic prayers in the middle east?

As for colonialism, the only colonial countries who used religion as a colonial tool to colonize, brainwash and discriminate people were the Iberians (spanish & portuguese) and that is why when u go to Latin America which was 90% colonized by spanish & portuguese, u find out that over 90% of these people are catholics today just like their colonial masters. Most countries in Latin america are over 90% catholics

The french and English who colonized much part of Africa did not use religion as a tool for colonialism or oppression. If they had done that, majority of Nigerians would have been Anglicans by now, but we are not.
HOpe u are aware that the Nigerian anglicans have even broke out from the headquarters in England? They accepted gay marriage over there and admonished the anglican worldwide to do likewise but we africans can never accept that, and hence the African anglican churches broke away from the leadership from England and now have no business with them.

Can black muslims ever have enough liver to take such a decision against their Arab masters??

Many muslims always argue that since we christians say there is no racism in christianity, then why has a black man never been pope?
They forget that black catholics are in a very small minority number compared to european or latin american catholics. There is no black nation in the world today that is predominantly catholic, but go to europe or latin america, many of their countries are predominantly catholics and that is why only europeans n latin americans usually produce the popes. However in spite of that black men have beome cardinals of the catholic church worldwide (the highest point of leadership rank in the cathoic church after the pope), the leaders who the pope himself directly consults for advice, these are the people who also elect the next pope a d they are also the people from which the next pope is chosen in the vatican city.

I wonder if black muslims can ever wield such positions of power in Saudi Arabia despite the fact that black muslims outnumber arab muslims. Infact, Indonesia the largest muslim country in the world and am yet to see an Indonesian muslim lead prayers in Mecca.

Protestant christianity today is largely dominated by blacks in the world.

U can never compare Christianity to Islam in terms of racism pls and pls. Christianity has undergone a lot of changes and civilization unlike islam.
So pls, if u say christianity is worse, prove it here. I am ready for u!

changes, civilization, to cope with conformity. makes me wonder if youre following true christianity or your version of it.

and youre lying a lot of blacks are respectable muslim scholars, a good example is tupacs friend napolean who converted to islam, he lives in saudi now, gives speeches at respectable places and leads prayers where possible. a Nigerian muslim also does not feel inferior to arab muslims as he feels hes better, there practices in saudi that nigerian muslims disagree with and therefore do not indulge. the evolution of christianity is one of hypocrisy, soon youll have gay pastors and priests if not already. like he said, nothing against christianity though.

something i forgot to mention is an arab friend of mine who surprisingly sent me a video from a Nigerian cleric, there was subtitles in arabic but there was a phrase the cleric said in hausa that he thought interesting and wanted to know the meaning and i helped him out. nigerians have won the Quran memorization and recitation competition in saudi countless times. Did i mention my girlfriend is arab, did i mention i get along with her parents how would this be possible if theyre all racists. now im not saying some arent, but....
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by badnature: 7:00pm On Jan 17, 2016
northern muslim see yoruba muslim as " infidels"
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 7:01pm On Jan 17, 2016
glossy6:
The northern Muslims don't see the western Muslims as true Muslims and thus unacceptable.

A northern Muslim will kill a child that converts to Christianity while a Yoruba Muslim will not. A Yoruba couple will practice different religions while it is a haram for the northern mallam

The Yoruba Muslims interchange religions at will because it is not A do or die affair to them while the northern Muslims see it as a ticket to aljana.

The more reasons they have two separate days for both northern and Yoruba Muslims to celebrate Muslims festivals separately

Don't ask me how I got to know

Thank u my sister. Another question for u to answer @VomeSchakleton

VomeSchakleton:

What differentiates maguzawas from Hausas is religion, not culture. There's a difference between religion and culture. I don't know the hausas you've been speaking to but the hausas I know accept them as non muslim hausas, they're actually celebrated in most places. What I've noticed with you josites is some of you seem to hate the hausas more than southerners. Why is This? You are yet to tell me what aspect of Hausa culture had been replaced by Islam, how is that possible. Is it marriage? Way of life? Festivals? What?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 7:10pm On Jan 17, 2016
Fulaman198:

Completely untrue, who is this most?

Fulanis in the Taraba, Gombe, Adamawa regions are 100% Fulani and speak Fulfulde as our main language, from Jalingo to Yola and even in Bauchi you will find Fulfulde speakers.

Haha my brother. So u think the handful of pure fulanis from North-east (Taraba, Gombe, Adamawa n Bauchi) can outnumber or challenge the population of fulanis or people with fulani ancestry/hausanized fulanis from other parts of the country? Then u are joking o.

Pure fulanis from Northeast cannot number more than 6 million o, at most 7 million, but those in Northwest and northcentral who have been hausanized are not less than 15-20 million.
See, the most reasonable fulanis who have come out of Nigeria are hausanized fulanis e.g the current President of Nigeria and 2 other past presidents. See abeg, no need for comparison o. Hausanized fulanis outnumber pure fulanis by far.

Even many fulanis from Gombe/Bauchi axis are beginning to loose their language and culture by the day and are becoming hausanized. Only those in Adamawa/Taraba seem very safe
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 7:19pm On Jan 17, 2016
VomeSchakleton:
The president also doesn't speak Fulfulde but to me l, all fulanis, including the so called Hausanised fulanis are the same to me. Doesn't matter to me because to me you can't be hausa if your ancestors weren't, because Hausa is an ethnicity, not a culture. Someone calling them hausa just because they don't speak Fulfulde to me is far fetched and baseless. They are NOT hausas.

Yes their ancestors were not hausas, but today they have become hausas by absorption.

Hope u know that many hausa-fulanis were also absorbed by some middlebelt tribes?
Many Nupes today have fulani and hausa ancestry especially their kings and ruling houses but today are now ethnically and linguistically Nupes and have accepted their nupenization. Even in Ilorin, many descendants of hausas n fulanis there have been yorubanized and proudly claim yoruba as their ethnicity.
There is an igala town in Kogi state called Angwa and the founders of that town were hausa-fulani traders, but those people have become igalanized even though they are fully aware of their hausa-fulani origin.

I have seen some hausanized fulanis who sometimes claim hausa and later claim fulani. Hence many of these mixed ppl even prefer the term hausa-fulani.
Pure hausas like u are the only ones who are banging their heads and differentiating who is hausa or who is fulani.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 7:25pm On Jan 17, 2016
Fulaman198:

We Fulani (Fulbe) or Fellata in Arabic that speak both Fulfulde and Hausa consider the Fulanis in the Northwest as mainly Hausa. They call themselves Hausa-Fulani, but I just call them Hausa. They don't have any element of Pulaaku.

Are u sure they dont have any elements of pulaaku?
What about their looks?? cheesy tongue
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 17, 2016
Nowenuse:

Yes their ancestors were not hausas, but today they have become hausas by absorption.

Hope u know that many hausa-fulanis were also absorbed by some middlebelt tribes?
Many Nupes today have fulani and hausa ancestry especially their kings and ruling houses but today are now ethnically and linguistically Nupes and have accepted their nupenization. Even in Ilorin, many descendants of hausas n fulanis there have been yorubanized and proudly claim yoruba as their ethnicity.
There is an igala town in Kogi state called Angwa and the founders of that town were hausa-fulani traders, but those people have become igalanized even though they are fully aware of their hausa-fulani origin.

I have seen some hausanized fulanis who sometimes claim hausa and later claim fulani. Hence many of these mixed ppl even prefer the term hausa-fulani.
Pure hausas like u are the only ones who are banging their heads and differentiating who is hausa or who is fulani.

ooh stop this poppycock. it has nothing to do with purity, lord knows im not pure but thats what i choose to identify myself with. because i understand you can either be one or the other but not both. This is the way it should be. stick to your own. these people you speak of are illiterates, because they try to blend in with whichever crowd theyre in, i have this friend whose surname is gambari, he actually tells us he's hausa but he speaks yoruba and hausa fluently yet amongst yorubas he doesnt call himself yoruba. maybe he does, i dont know but thats just the hypocrisy i speak of. if youre hausa and you choose to be something else thats your Goddamn busines, but if youre not hausa and try to call yourself or identify as hausa, thats where were gonna have a problem.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 8:25am On Jan 18, 2016
Nowenuse:

Haha my brother. So u think the handful of pure fulanis from North-east (Taraba, Gombe, Adamawa n Bauchi) can outnumber or challenge the population of fulanis or people with fulani ancestry/hausanized fulanis from other parts of the country? Then u are joking o.

Pure fulanis from Northeast cannot number more than 6 million o, at most 7 million, but those in Northwest and northcentral who have been hausanized are not less than 15-20 million.
See, the most reasonable fulanis who have come out of Nigeria are hausanized fulanis e.g the current President of Nigeria and 2 other past presidents. See abeg, no need for comparison o. Hausanized fulanis outnumber pure fulanis by far.

Even many fulanis from Gombe/Bauchi axis are beginning to loose their language and culture by the day and are becoming hausanized. Only those in Adamawa/Taraba seem very safe

There are 11 - 12 million Fulfulde Fulani speakers in the North East. Just an FYI.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 8:26am On Jan 18, 2016
glossy6:
The northern Muslims don't see the western Muslims as true Muslims and thus unacceptable.

A northern Muslim will kill a child that converts to Christianity while a Yoruba Muslim will not. A Yoruba couple will practice different religions while it is a haram for the northern mallam

The Yoruba Muslims interchange religions at will because it is not A do or die affair to them while the northern Muslims see it as a ticket to aljana.

The more reasons they have two separate days for both northern and Yoruba Muslims to celebrate Muslims festivals separately

Don't ask me how I got to know

Yah don't lie against people, it does not make you look cool.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 8:28am On Jan 18, 2016
Nowenuse:

Thank God u acknowledged the true fact. Unlike some deceptive and silly muslims who will argue sth like this thinking that all christians are fools.

Yes i agree with u that there was racism in christianity but that has died off i tell u.
Today go to the UK, the seat of anglican leadership, go to USA, where most missionaries who evangelized many africans hailed from, u will find churches and not just small churches, but mega churches with black preachers and so many white followers. Infact today, among the top 10 richest men of God in the world, 5 are Nigerians and these men of God have followers all over the world including so many whites.

Now i ask u, can a black man lead arabs in islamic prayers in the middle east?

As for colonialism, the only colonial countries who used religion as a colonial tool to colonize, brainwash and discriminate people were the Iberians (spanish & portuguese) and that is why when u go to Latin America which was 90% colonized by spanish & portuguese, u find out that over 90% of these people are catholics today just like their colonial masters. Most countries in Latin america are over 90% catholics

The french and English who colonized much part of Africa did not use religion as a tool for colonialism or oppression. If they had done that, majority of Nigerians would have been Anglicans by now, but we are not.
HOpe u are aware that the Nigerian anglicans have even broke out from the headquarters in England? They accepted gay marriage over there and admonished the anglican worldwide to do likewise but we africans can never accept that, and hence the African anglican churches broke away from the leadership from England and now have no business with them.

Can black muslims ever have enough liver to take such a decision against their Arab masters??

Many muslims always argue that since we christians say there is no racism in christianity, then why has a black man never been pope?
They forget that black catholics are in a very small minority number compared to european or latin american catholics. There is no black nation in the world today that is predominantly catholic, but go to europe or latin america, many of their countries are predominantly catholics and that is why only europeans n latin americans usually produce the popes. However in spite of that black men have beome cardinals of the catholic church worldwide (the highest point of leadership rank in the cathoic church after the pope), the leaders who the pope himself directly consults for advice, these are the people who also elect the next pope a d they are also the people from which the next pope is chosen in the vatican city.

I wonder if black muslims can ever wield such positions of power in Saudi Arabia despite the fact that black muslims outnumber arab muslims. Infact, Indonesia the largest muslim country in the world and am yet to see an Indonesian muslim lead prayers in Mecca.

Protestant christianity today is largely dominated by blacks in the world.

U can never compare Christianity to Islam in terms of racism pls and pls. Christianity has undergone a lot of changes and civilization unlike islam.
So pls, if u say christianity is worse, prove it here. I am ready for u!

I'm sorry but that is Camel crap that I can smell from hundreds of kilometres away.

KKK is a very racist "Christian" group. Many white republicans who attend church on Sundays in the United States don't view blacks as equals or treat them with respect.

I'll say this again, most people who practise a particular religion are hardcore hypocrites. Don't even try to deny it. I wasn't born yesterday, and I read a lot.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 8:30am On Jan 18, 2016
Nowenuse:

Ok, i am from the Plateau/Kaduna. Do u define me as part of ur arewa or not?
Since u say most people who are not from arewa dont know about hausa culture.

Plateau/Kaduna is viewed as Arewa by some and middle-belt by others, it's controversial. However, Being from the North doesn't necessarily make someone very knowing of the North. I bet you don't know anything about the Zarmanci for example, am I right?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 8:37am On Jan 18, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

changes, civilization, to cope with conformity. makes me wonder if youre following true christianity or your version of it.

and youre lying a lot of blacks are respectable muslim scholars, a good example is tupacs friend napolean who converted to islam, he lives in saudi now, gives speeches at respectable places and leads prayers where possible. a Nigerian muslim also does not feel inferior to arab muslims as he feels hes better, there practices in saudi that nigerian muslims disagree with and therefore do not indulge. the evolution of christianity is one of hypocrisy, soon youll have gay pastors and priests if not already. like he said, nothing against christianity though.

something i forgot to mention is an arab friend of mine who surprisingly sent me a video from a Nigerian cleric, there was subtitles in arabic but there was a phrase the cleric said in hausa that he thought interesting and wanted to know the meaning and i helped him out. nigerians have won the Quran memorization and recitation competition in saudi countless times. Did i mention my girlfriend is arab, did i mention i get along with her parents how would this be possible if theyre all racists. now im not saying some arent, but....

There are racist Arabs, just like there are racist whites. Some whites don't mind if their son or daughter has a black girlfriend/boyfriend, however the majority do. The same goes for Arabs. I have had many Arab friends, most good, but many can be back biters. Let's not deny it. There are even entire documentaries illustrating the treatment of blacks in Arabie Saoudi, Yemen, and Iraq.

I say it how it is. Saudi blamed us African Muslims for the recent events in the latest Hajj. That even upset me more. Blaming Africans? Really?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 8:40am On Jan 18, 2016
Fulaman198:

There are racist Arabs, just like there are racist whites. Some whites don't mind if their son or daughter has a black girlfriend/boyfriend, however the majority do. The same goes for Arabs. I have had many Arab friends, most good, but many can be back biters. Let's not deny it. There are even entire documentaries illustrating the treatment of blacks in Arabie Saoudi, Yemen, and Iraq.

I say it how it is. Saudi blamed us African Muslims for the recent events in the latest Hajj. That even upset me more. Blaming Africans? Really?

Yeah, like I said, I'm not denying their existence, but the whites are just as bad, just that they are just trying to be politically correct which makes them worse. The sort of support trump is garnering for his racist rants is proof.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 8:42am On Jan 18, 2016
Nowenuse:

Ok, i am from the Plateau/Kaduna. Do u define me as part of ur arewa or not?
Since u say most people who are not from arewa dont know about hausa culture.

Hausas have really maintained their culture more so than any other African group in Nigeria. Well Fulanis have too! This is purely Hausa, where is the Arab influence in it?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUv0X-7o4tU&

this video is in Hausa completely, it does highlight other cultures like Tamasheq and Ful6e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WELtjFLnAlg&

How many ethnic groups besides the Hausa and many Fulani still sing completely in their native tongue? Hausa is Hausa. Many Africans are becoming Westernised and look at the Hausa. Proud to be whom they are.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 8:44am On Jan 18, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

Yeah, like I said, I'm not denying their existence, but the whites are just as bad, just that they are just trying to be politically correct which makes them worse. The sort of support trump is garnering for his racist rants is proof.

True no doubt about that
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by UltraSphinx(m): 9:21am On Jan 18, 2016
Yolobass are fake muslims according the slavemasters the Hausa-Fulani, so its a taboo for a slave to inter- marry with his masters
why do u make it ur hobby to exhibit your stupidity at any slight opportunity u get... Barbaric animist from the southeastern jungles of nigeria

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by IkpuMmadu: 10:33am On Jan 18, 2016
Nowenuse:

Of course u are very correct. Middlebelt (central Nigerian) muslims are not considered as true muslims by the hausas let alone yoruba muslims (southern Nigerian muslims). Name them, igala muslims, ebira muslims, nupe muslims, Alago, Bariba, Agatu, chamba, jukun muslims e.t.c are discriminated by hausas, except those middlebelt muslims who have dropped their cultures and language and are becoming hausanized.

The problem with hausas and hausanized fulanis is that they have lost their culture and replaced it with islam. So islam is like the only identity and culture they have. SO they tend to take it to the extreme.
Also, most middlebelt muslims and yoruba muslims are religiously mixed as they have a lot of christians in their tribes and their communities. So this leaves them no room for intolerance towards christianity and encourages them tribal identity and cultural oneness.

so apt
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by IkpuMmadu: 10:34am On Jan 18, 2016
UltraSphinx:
why do u make it ur hobby to exhibit your stupidity at any slight opportunity u get... Barbaric animist from the southeastern jungles of nigeria

but he is correct
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by UltraSphinx(m): 11:27am On Jan 18, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

but he is correct
and you are anoda example of what i earlier described him to be
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 7:10pm On Jan 18, 2016
Fulaman198:

There are 11 - 12 million Fulfulde Fulani speakers in the North East. Just an FYI.

This figure is highly doubtable pls.
Adamawa, Gombe, Taraba & Bauchi are the only states in the Northeast where fulanis can claim above 10% of the state's population. In Borno & Yobe, they maybe only abt 5% or even less.

In Adamawa, fulanis are like 20-25% of the state.
In Gombe, fulanis are like 35% of the state
While in Bauchi and Taraba, they are like 15-20% each

Considering the individual population of these states according to 2006 census and trying to ascertain the migration rates of the people of the various states. Fulani indigenes of Adamawa, Gombe & Bauchi can be up to 1-1.5million indigenes each. While that of Taraba should be abt 500,000-700,000.

I know most parts of the Northeast very well. I know Taraba, Adamwa, Gombe almost in and out. Where do u get the belief that pure fulanis in northeast are up to 11 million? Impossible. The northeast is the most sparsely populated geo-political zone in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 7:11pm On Jan 18, 2016
Nowenuse:

This figure is highly doubtable pls.
Adamawa, Gombe, Taraba & Bauchi are the only states in the Northeast where fulanis can claim above 10% of the state's population. In Borno & Yobe, they maybe only abt 5% or even less.

In Adamawa, fulanis are like 20-25% of the state.
In Gombe, fulanis are like 35% of the state
While in Bauchi and Taraba, they are like 15-20% each

Considering the individual population of these states according to 2006 census and trying to ascertain the migration rates of the people of the various states. Fulani indigenes of Adamawa, Gombe & Bauchi can be up to 1-1.5million indigenes each. While that of Taraba should be abt 500,000-700,000.

I know most parts of the Northeast very well. I know Taraba, Adamwa, Gombe almost in and out. Where do u get the belief that pure fulanis in northeast are up to 11 million? Impossible. The northeast is the most sparsely populated geo-political zone in Nigeria.

Your stats are way off and incorrect
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by glossy6(f): 7:13pm On Jan 18, 2016
Fulaman198:

Yah don't lie against people, it does not make you look cool.
Which of them is a lie? Pls point them out and explanations will flow forth
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 7:13pm On Jan 18, 2016
Fulaman198:

Plateau/Kaduna is viewed as Arewa by some and middle-belt by others, it's controversial. However, Being from the North doesn't necessarily make someone very knowing of the North. I bet you don't know anything about the Zarmanci for example, am I right?

Why wont i know Zarma? Basu ne buzu? Fulani daji?
They r found mostly in Sokoto, kebbi axis in Nigeria although majority of them in Nigeria are settlers, their original home is Niger republic and extreme northern Benin republic.
Not all people are ignorant pls. U may be amazed that i may know the ethnic classifications of Africa and even the world more than u.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 7:15pm On Jan 18, 2016
Fulaman198:

Your stats are way off and incorrect

Prove they are. Or do u want me to breakdown the ethnic composition of the LGAs fulanis dominate in each of these states?
Taraba & Gombe are sparsely populated states compared to most other states in northern Nigeria. Adamawa & Bauchi are quite populous.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 7:21pm On Jan 18, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

ooh stop this poppycock. it has nothing to do with purity, lord knows im not pure but thats what i choose to identify myself with. because i understand you can either be one or the other but not both. This is the way it should be. stick to your own. these people you speak of are illiterates, because they try to blend in with whichever crowd theyre in, i have this friend whose surname is gambari, he actually tells us he's hausa but he speaks yoruba and hausa fluently yet amongst yorubas he doesnt call himself yoruba. maybe he does, i dont know but thats just the hypocrisy i speak of. if youre hausa and you choose to be something else thats your Goddamn busines, but if youre not hausa and try to call yourself or identify as hausa, thats where were gonna have a problem.

My brother, sometimes communities may have dual identities and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Go to northern african countries like Morocco & Algeria, many arabized berbers both claim an arab identity and sometimes a berber identity.

Even in southern Nigeria. Rivers state for example, do u know that there are some communities in Rivers state that claim they are ethnically ijaws but linguistically they are igbos?
Most indigenes of Opobo and Bonny LGA in Rivers state speak igbo as their mother's tongue but some of them will tell u that they are ijaws.....even in Ondo state, u now have yorubanized ijaws, some who claim yoruba and some claim ijaw.
Hausa land is not d only example of this, only that hausaland is more pronounced.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 7:38pm On Jan 18, 2016
Fulaman198:

Hausas have really maintained their culture more so than any other African group in Nigeria. Well Fulanis have too! This is purely Hausa, where is the Arab influence in it?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUv0X-7o4tU&

this video is in Hausa completely, it does highlight other cultures like Tamasheq and Ful6e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WELtjFLnAlg&

How many ethnic groups besides the Hausa and many Fulani still sing completely in their native tongue? Hausa is Hausa. Many Africans are becoming Westernised and look at the Hausa. Proud to be whom they are.

Hausas are only repelling westernization better than any Nigerian group because of their high islamic fanatism. This is why their region is the most illiterate in English language in Nigeria, they also have the largest popuation of poor people and beggars.

Tell us why hausas mostly cal God Allah (an arabic name) while speaking hausa than calling God Ubangiji (in their own hausa language)?

Why are 95% of hausas no longer answering their tribal names? U only see names like Fatima Mohammed Abdullahi or Ibrahim Shehu Yusuf. Where is the love for culture or cultural value in that?

The ruling system of hausa land is based on religion, islam. Was islam their ancestral culture? This means dat a hausa christian can never smell leadership position in hausa land. Where is the cultural bond and oneness dat defies religious boundaries?

Why is it only hausas who call christians Arne or kafiri (infidels) in Nigeria even in public?

See, so many words in hausa language are of arabic origin. Words like prayer (addu'a) and so many more for me to start listing here.

Whatever hausas are parading today as their culture is only a typically reformed one, an arabized one, no matter how cultural it may look it is nonsense. That is why hausas and hausanized fulanis are very different from other Nigerian muslims.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by curi00: 7:45pm On Jan 18, 2016
Nowenuse:

My brother, sometimes communities may have dual identities and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Go to northern african countries like Morocco & Algeria, many arabized berbers both claim an arab identity and sometimes a berber identity.

Talking about Arabized Berbers, they do have a real identity issue. They wanna be more Arabs than real Arabs themselves. They even insult and bash Non Arabized Berbers like if they are not Berbers lol. When you say to them, you are not Arab but Arabized, they gonna get crazy. Anytime I have a discussion with them, they dont want to say they are Arabized but at the end, they admit North Africans are Arabized Berbers but only culture matter.
Sometimes it can be ignorance. My friend is Kabyle (a berber tribe) but she thinks she is Arab just because she is Algerian. She doesnt speak Arab nor her parents but yet she thinks she is Arab.

People should not forget where they are from
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 8:35pm On Jan 18, 2016
Nowenuse:

Hausas are only repelling westernization better than any Nigerian group because of their high islamic fanatism. This is why their region is the most illiterate in English language in Nigeria, they also have the largest popuation of poor people and beggars.

Tell us why hausas mostly cal God Allah (an arabic name) while speaking hausa than calling God Ubangiji (in their own hausa language)?

Why are 95% of hausas no longer answering their tribal names? U only see names like Fatima Mohammed Abdullahi or Ibrahim Shehu Yusuf. Where is the love for culture or cultural value in that?

The ruling system of hausa land is based on religion, islam. Was islam their ancestral culture? This means dat a hausa christian can never smell leadership position in hausa land. Where is the cultural bond and oneness dat defies religious boundaries?

Why is it only hausas who call christians Arne or kafiri (infidels) in Nigeria even in public?

See, so many words in hausa language are of arabic origin. Words like prayer (addu'a) and so many more for me to start listing here.

Whatever hausas are parading today as their culture is only a typically reformed one, an arabized one, no matter how cultural it may look it is nonsense. That is why hausas and hausanized fulanis are very different from other Nigerian muslims.

You claim to know a lot about the Hausa yet you fail. Allow me to elaborate.

Hausa, just like Amharic of Ethiopia, Somali of Somalia, Tamasheq of many West and Northwest African countries, Oromo of East Africa, Ngas of Nigeria, etc etc is an Afro-Asiatic language.

Thus, it's in the same language family with Arabic so there are bound to be tons of similarities just like there are similarities with French and Spanish or Italian and Portuguese.

With that said, being fluent in the English language doesn't gauge ones level of intelligence. Far from it. In fact some of the most educated nations in the world China, Japan, South Korea, etc don't make use of the English language at all. So this mentality that speaking English correlates to ones level of intelligence needs to go.

If anything you should be proud of the Hausa for not having slave white wannabe mentality like some Nigerians have.

Personally, I'm very proud of the Hausa.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 8:49pm On Jan 18, 2016
Nowenuse:

Why wont i know Zarma? Basu ne buzu? Fulani daji?
They r found mostly in Sokoto, kebbi axis in Nigeria although majority of them in Nigeria are settlers, their original home is Niger republic and extreme northern Benin republic.
Not all people are ignorant pls. U may be amazed that i may know the ethnic classifications of Africa and even the world more than u.

In regards to the Zarmawa, they didn't migrate. Part of Northwestern Nigeria was once a part of the Songhai empire. The Zarmawa are Songhai people with a slightly different Songhai dialect. Thus, the Songhai you see in Nigeria today are a result of the stronghold of the Songhai empire from centuries ago.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 11:42pm On Jan 18, 2016
Fulaman198:

You claim to know a lot about the Hausa yet you fail. Allow me to elaborate.

Hausa, just like Amharic of Ethiopia, Somali of Somalia, Tamasheq of many West and Northwest African countries, Oromo of East Africa, Ngas of Nigeria, etc etc is an Afro-Asiatic language.

Thus, it's in the same language family with Arabic so there are bound to be tons of similarities just like there are similarities with French and Spanish or Italian and Portuguese.

With that said, being fluent in the English language doesn't gauge ones level of intelligence. Far from it. In fact some of the most educated nations in the world China, Japan, South Korea, etc don't make use of the English language at all. So this mentality that speaking English correlates to ones level of intelligence needs to go.

If anything you should be proud of the Hausa for not having slave white wannabe mentality like some Nigerians have.

Personally, I'm very proud of the Hausa.

Hausa is not d only afro asiatic language in Nigeria. Infact that afro asiatic classification is just an extremely wide family of classifications
The influence of arabic on hausa came mostly through the koran and not through evolution of the languages, because such influences are non existent among most chadic speakers of Plateau, Bauchi (which am sure of), unless they copy it from hausa.
Are u telling the world that hausas now call God Allah when speaking hausa because hausa language and arabic are similar languages? LoL

U can imagine hausas that if they want to say 'please', they will say 'Don Allah, don annabi', (because of God, and because of the prophet-Muhammad), just imagine that. Which other african tribe does that? Was that the way their fore fathers said 'pls'? Or are we goin to say that since they (hausas) and arabs are "sister tribes", (LoL, as u want us to believe), then that is the reason for that? Hell no

See hausas need to hide their faces in shame for substituting an extremely large chunk of their ancestral culture with foreign ones. Just d same way hausas will claim that Babanriga and kaftan were their ancestral cultural attires. LoL

Hausas cannot be westernized because they hav already been arabized (in a way), or better to say islamized.
Islamization and westernization are two parallel lines. So they deserve no credit for succesful rejection of westernization.

As long as the sole official language of Nigeria remains English. Anyone who is not learned in the language can be considered an illiterate, nothing more nothing less. Dont compare us with korea, japan or china. Those countries do not have english as their sole official language!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 11:45pm On Jan 18, 2016
Fulaman198:

In regards to the Zarmawa, they didn't migrate. Part of Northwestern Nigeria was once a part of the Songhai empire. The Zarmawa are Songhai people with a slightly different Songhai dialect. Thus, the Songhai you see in Nigeria today are a result of the stronghold of the Songhai empire from centuries ago.

Hmm, well, u maybe correct. But as it stands, the Zarma do not have a well defined cultural territory or ancestral area in Nigeria. Their communities are within hausa land. There is no single LGA in Nigeria that is Zarma owned or zarma dominated. If there are, pls i'd like to know where they are.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 1:02am On Jan 19, 2016
Nowenuse:

Hausa is not d only afro asiatic language in Nigeria. Infact that afro asiatic classification is just an extremely wide family of classifications
The influence of arabic on hausa came mostly through the koran and not through evolution of the languages, because such influences are non existent among most chadic speakers of Plateau, Bauchi (which am sure of), unless they copy it from hausa.
Are u telling the world that hausas now call God Allah when speaking hausa because hausa language and arabic are similar languages? LoL

U can imagine hausas that if they want to say 'please', they will say 'Don Allah, don annabi', (because of God, and because of the prophet-Muhammad), just imagine that. Which other african tribe does that? Was that the way their fore fathers said 'pls'? Or are we goin to say that since they (hausas) and arabs are "sister tribes", (LoL, as u want us to believe), then that is the reason for that? Hell no

See hausas need to hide their faces in shame for substituting an extremely large chunk of their ancestral culture with foreign ones. Just d same way hausas will claim that Babanriga and kaftan were their ancestral cultural attires. LoL

Hausas cannot be westernized because they hav already been arabized (in a way), or better to say islamized.
Islamization and westernization are two parallel lines. So they deserve no credit for succesful rejection of westernization.

As long as the sole official language of Nigeria remains English. Anyone who is not learned in the language can be considered an illiterate, nothing more nothing less. Dont compare us with korea, japan or china. Those countries do not have english as their sole official language!

You seem to be a pretty intelligent fellow and I understand where you are coming from. You are right there are about 100 - 150 Afro-Asiatic languages between Nigeria, Cameroon and Chad.

Aren't there Nigerians that say Hallelujah? Or stuff like that? What does that have to do with Nigeria? My point is that Hausa culture is still quite different from Arab culture. Remember, there are Christian Arabs as well. Does that make them less Arab?

All these monotheistic religions are from the middle east anyways. Overall, the Hausa are the least westernised. Hausa music has no outside influence where there are Nigerians selling out each day like wannabes singing in either Pidgin or English. Completely showing total disregard for their respective cultures and selling out to the west. What kind of rubbish is that? If your children can't speak their native tongue, how can they be proud to claim Nigerian let alone African.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Why Oluwo Akanbi Divorced Chanel Chin: The Real Reason / Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ooni Arives Ife Ahead Of His Coronation / Hausa/Fulani Girls Are The Most Beautiful In Nigeria [Photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.