Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,313 members, 7,954,255 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:29 PM

Is linkedin A good Way To Seek A New Role Or Are Job Boards Better? A Case Study - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is linkedin A good Way To Seek A New Role Or Are Job Boards Better? A Case Study (2011 Views)

How To Get Job Offers Via Linkedin / Nigeria Airforce Recruitment 2016 Exercise(a Case Study Of 2014 Recruitment). / Photos: Unemployed Nigerians Seek Work At National Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is linkedin A good Way To Seek A New Role Or Are Job Boards Better? A Case Study by ayobase(m): 5:32am On Mar 04, 2015
A question by Ian Mitchell (Currently seeking Programme and Project Management Opportunities worldwide)

“Is linkedin a good way to seek a new role or are job boards better? What is your advice...”

Responses

Henry Motyka (Business Analyst/Project Manager looking For New Position)

“Job boards are a very poor way to seek a new job as those who post there usually receive many applications. That greatly reduces your odds. Jobs posted on LinkedIn also have the same problem. Many people usually apply.
Instead, think about connecting to as many recruiters as you can on LinkedIn. They usually post their open jobs in the Headlines. I have found that a useful way to go. You may also use LinkedIn to try to connect to people in your field. It's a form of networking.
Finally, consider going to as many networking events and presentations as you can in your field. Meetup.com has lists of networking groups. I have also found this a very good way to job hunt.
As you network, remember to have a very strong pitch prepared so as to impress people in your field that you meet.”

Todhunter Mark Weber (Services and Maintenance Manager; Asset and Capital Project Manager)
“Personal connections always trump social networks of all kinds”

william adams (CEO Amalgamated Conglomerates)
“job boards are essentially worthless for job seekers
i suspect that advertised jobs on LI would give some results but for a person there will still be lots of competition but overall both are poor”

Anupam Haldar (TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT CENTRE ,President & Chief Executive , Author , Trainer , Editor ,Counsellor)
“Ian , alone Linking won't do -you have to establish social & professional connections in deep sense ; then it may do or serve better than other modes .”

Lauren Leeman (Project Manager and Events Manager--PRINCE2 Practitioner)
“Just asked a similar question to a LinkedIn contact whom I met at a networking group. In person connections are ideal. I'm on the prowl as well and I find that most listings on job boards and even some LinkedIn job postings are very boilerplate.”

Rick Price, MBA, MPA, PMP, CSM [Building high performing BPO/digital design teams in Manila, Philippines (rickpricesf@gmail.com)]
“Networking face to face and keep in mind the 80/20 rule for getting new customers.”

mohamed radwan (PM at NEB , Dubai ,UAE)
“in my humble opinion, personal relation is the best way to find a job .”

Hafiz Abuelyamen (Member of the Committee to measure and evaluate projects for f Zakat Chamber in Sudan)
“My advice is to consider LinkedIn as a good way to seek a new role than to search a job.. The Two are positive points.. Seeking a a new role by acquiring professional ideas and sharing experience benefiting from trials exchange, that represent strength to every member. Seeking a job comes as opportunity that members may gained from LinkedIn..”

Steve Smith (Vice Principal at Belfairs Academy)
“As an experienced professional looking to move in to Project Management, I agree that social networking sites cannot replace personal connections. Lou Adler gives some great advice in his post that echoes the sentiments of most contributors.
https://www./15-odd-ball-ideas-getting-better-job-lou-adler

Bjarne M. Virenfeldt (Managing Director)
“I prefer vacancies publicized through LinkedIn.
Also I of course agree that social networking cannot replace personal connections - but unfortunately we can't all have the same and right connections? So we need the social networking in order to move forward.

Still - and broadening the discussion a bit - LinkedIn is only distributing "the News" not communicating or discussing the real and relevant messages (about vacancies). This is entirely up to the persons/companies put in charge of recruiting personnel. And here I think we have an issue of real interest.

The job market is flooded with thousands(?) of very poor job-descriptions (either providing to little or too much relevant information) often leaving it up the the applicant to guess what exactly is required in respect of specific experience and qualifications (does the offered title/position and specified responsibilities closely match the job-description etc.)

I would humbly request the recruiters to become as conscious and critical to that part of their jobs which concern writing the job vacancies as they must be when considering the applicants applications and qualifications.

When this balance is found, I strongly believe that an extended professional and relevant discussion between net-workers/professionals (in our discussion, recruiters, employers and applicants) could take place on LinkedIn aiming on getting to know and better understand each other.”

François Chabanne (Deputy manager at GESER BEST)
“Hi,
LinkedIn is obviously a good way to be known and is done to be used as a professional network.

It's, of course, not a job board and it doesn't pretend to replace them.
For my share, I already got some contracts through some of my LinkedIn contacts.
So, the way you use LinkedIn induces your results.

Nor more nor less.
Kindly yours
François Chabanne”

Paul Anderson PhD, Electronics – Freelance (P.M. Consultant, Hands-on Product Designer -- Electronics / Wireless / Optical / Medical / FPGA / systems / much more)
“My own advice, but does require "effort" - build up a contacts list - go around the job ads you do see and make a note of the company and a name or two - talk to them and find out what skills they are short on and then get a good CV into their in-box and then do a follow up - make sure you are the person they would talk to first - this can be difficult and does require effort but it does pay off done well you need never be out of work

Linked-in can also provide contacts - however, like other BBs many people see the requirement so you are competeing with the many

For me linked-in has provided contact with many smaller companies / people needing expertise but cannot afford the "big guys" - which from my side is actually more interesting than just getting the next position .....

This kind of approach works well if you can offer something "a bit special" ... but in the end you need to clearly define what you can offer that makes you "special" and get a head start on your peers”

Nikos Rentas, PMP, OCT, BSc, Bed (Audience Cultivator, Business Strategist, Project Manager, and community developer)
“Social networking is face to face online. Face to face brings u opportunity. That's relationship building. Problem is that once people get a job they forget about their connections. Kinda like when your best friend gets a girlfriend he forgets about you.

Then when they break up, hey shoe up again... If you don't have a good relationship building practice develop one. LinkedIn without relationship is like a job post website. You are just applying and maybe u get the lucky one. I attribute my network to much of my success. Contacts always refer me and I refer them. Business grows this way. If you are looking for a job it is the same thing. I can't really introduce you to a CEO or a hiring manager if I don't know u and have a relationship of some sort with you... Goes for anyone out there... You keep working at it to find the right contacts who will open doors with u!”

I got this from here;

mycvclinic:

ii. Create your resume (paper & digital)
Haven discovered your focus, the task of creating your CV gets more meaningful and doable. A CV simply portrays your focus (interest, skills, abilities, aspirations). When preparing a CV, do not restrict yourself to the regular paper version. Create a profile for yourself on the career pages of companies, social media (LinkedIn, Facebook and even Twitter). I know people have gotten jobs just from how intelligent/smart they come across from their tweets. Recruiters these days headhunt and are no longer depending strictly on the job adverts they put out. Last week my colleague sent me a LinkedIn profile asking me to contact the lady to see if she was a right fit for a position we were trying to create and she has gotten the job just like that. Try different things and don't restrict yourself to your paper resume and job adverts.
Also, ensure your digital/social resume speaks good about you. A lot of us carry on very recklessly online and unknown to us, recruiters do a background check of us online. The views and photos you share online, do they put you in a good light?

https://www.nairaland.com/1573721/get-employed-2014-3-x#20570433

- Please, have you been able to secure a job via this platform, or should I say a job interview?

- What is/are you reason(s) of joining LinkedIn? Nice to join?

Here are my deductions after puzzling over this matter;

- LinkedIn is a site where Resumes are uploaded to tell the world how many certificates, qualifications, and what-have-you you possess

- I doubt if job can be secured via this platform. You can convince me.

- A site where one connects with others professionally or socially irrespective of whosoever.

- One making connections in order to establish 500+ contacts. A Don!

- Asking friends to endorse and recommend you to boost your Resume.

I joined related and partially related professional groups to read or contribute on found-interesting topic of discussion. Other activities are secondary and tertiary. But that 500+ connections in view as well.

[b]I, also do by attaching my linkedin link to my Resume. You should do as well. Better packaging

Here is my linkedin page, [/b]

http://johnomolaolu..com/2015/03/is-linkedin-good-way-to-seek-new-role.html

Re: Is linkedin A good Way To Seek A New Role Or Are Job Boards Better? A Case Study by Nobody: 7:54am On Mar 04, 2015
LinkedIn is one of the fastest means of getting job especially if you are highly skilled and you meet alot of professional to mingle and become friends
Re: Is linkedin A good Way To Seek A New Role Or Are Job Boards Better? A Case Study by vintino(m): 1:15pm On Mar 04, 2015
Well said... Personal connections is the best way to secure appointment.. all these sites are just to broaden our views on what is to be expected concerning our career and inside update on what's trending.
Re: Is linkedin A good Way To Seek A New Role Or Are Job Boards Better? A Case Study by crudedude(m): 5:31pm On Mar 04, 2015
LinkedIn is more for working professionals with good experience. They're the ones who enjoy it most. A lot of work and time was put in to get to that stage in life.
Fresh job seekers don't get much compared to the latter. What I learned from this article is personal (real life) connections remain the best.
Re: Is linkedin A good Way To Seek A New Role Or Are Job Boards Better? A Case Study by Nobody: 1:10pm On May 03, 2015
Getting runs from a politician is the sure fastest way...especially in our yeye country... angry

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

FMCL Invitation For Interview / USA: Fulbright Scholarships For Students (masters & Phd) / National Agricultural And Land Development Authority Is Recruiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.