Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,417 members, 7,815,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

Engine Flush - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Flush (8595 Views)

Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) / Coolants: Types And When To Flush It. / Buying Naija Used Car, Should I Do Engine Flush Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engine Flush by Nobody: 5:54pm On Mar 05, 2015
Who have used a product by ABRO called Engine flush, my mechanic recommended it, at my last oil change.
Is it necessary?
Re: Engine Flush by uboma(m): 6:38pm On Mar 05, 2015
indigene:
Who have used a product by ABRO called Engine flush, my mechanic recommended it, at my last oil change.
Is it necessary?

What type of engine oil do you make use of?

What's the spec of your car?
Re: Engine Flush by DECOtech(m): 7:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
indigene:
Is it necessary?

Please don't waste your money.
Re: Engine Flush by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:40pm On Mar 05, 2015
indigene:
Is it necessary?

Reduce your oil change intervals if your engine is dirty or has developed sludge.
Re: Engine Flush by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:49pm On Mar 05, 2015
indigene:
Is it necessary?

engine flush is used to clean the internal part of the engine

its added to the engine oil and run the car for 10 minutes (this depends with instructions) then drain the oil and put fresh one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blMOUzzcCbg
Re: Engine Flush by Nobody: 10:52pm On Mar 05, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

engine flush is used to clean the internal part of the engine

its added to the engine oil and run the car for 10 minutes (this depends with instructions) then drain the oil and put fresh one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blMOUzzcCbg
The instruction on the product can stipulates that,the oil filter will be change, does it really apply?
Re: Engine Flush by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:45am On Mar 06, 2015
indigene:

The instruction on the product can stipulates that,the oil filter will be change, does it really apply?

yes the oil filter has to be changed because it is dirty already, remember its the one that was trapping dirty on the old oil you flushed, change it, it has dirty already put a new filter
Re: Engine Flush by honmusa(m): 1:19pm On Mar 06, 2015
indigene:
Is it necessary?

u can do better by stating ur car model .That it works for another engine doesnt make it to work for your engine.
If you can buy the specified recommended engine oil for u car ,it will work better in cleaning your engine inside and out rather than going for one third party stuff dt can react with sensitive part of ur engine to create more problems.
Re: Engine Flush by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:41pm On Mar 06, 2015
honmusa:

u can do b
u can do better by stating ur car model dt it works for another engine doesnt make it to work for your engine.
If you can buy the specified recommended engine oil for u car ,it will work better in cleaning your engine inside and out other than going for one third party stuff dt can react with sensitive part of ur engine to create more problems

shocked

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engine Flush by Readonee35L(m): 2:10pm On Mar 06, 2015
^
^
Lol
Re: Engine Flush by Nobody: 2:55pm On Mar 06, 2015
I'm not an advocate of oil flushes, and I'll tell you why.

If a good quality oil is used, and it's replaced at the specified intervals, then one shouldn't even be considering an engine flush.

There have been quite a few documented cases of engines losing oil pressure AFTER having a flush. The reasons are simple - carbon deposits tend to stick to the oil pan, rocker covers, timing chain covers and oil galleries in engines that MAY have had oil changes skipped, poor quality oil used, or simply high mileage.

As long as these deposits are stuck somewhere, they're not considered an issue. Break them down with any flushing agent, any carbon deposits that are NOT dissolved WILL travel to where they'll do the most harm - into the oil pump gears, and clog up the oil pump pick-up screen. The engine will then seize from lack of adequate lubrication.

The ONLY way to clean a dirty engine is to run it till the oil is hot, drain it IMMEDIATELY, then pull the oil pan, timing chain and rocker covers, giving them a good wash with DIESEL. Finally replace them with new gaskets or OEM sealant, not that nasty black "gum" Nigerian mechanics seem to be in love with.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Engine Flush by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:59pm On Mar 06, 2015
Siena:
I'm not an advocate of oil flushes, and I'll tell you why.

If a good quality oil is used, and it's replaced at the specified intervals, then one shouldn't even be considering an engine flush.

There have been quite a few documented cases of engines losing oil pressure AFTER having a flush. The reasons are simple - carbon deposits tend to stick to the oil pan, rocker covers, timing chain covers and oil galleries in engines that MAY have had oil changes skipped, poor quality oil used, or simply high mileage.

As long as these deposits are stuck somewhere, they're not considered an issue. Break them down with any flushing agent, any carbon deposits that are NOT dissolved WILL travel to where they'll do the most harm - into the oil pump gears, and clog up the oil pump pick-up screen. The engine will then seize from lack of adequate lubrication.

The ONLY way to clean a dirty engine is to run it till the oil is hot, drain it IMMEDIATELY, then pull the oil pan, timing chain and rocker covers, giving them a good wash with DIESEL. Finally replace them with new gaskets or OEM sealant, not that nasty black "gum" Nigerian mechanics seem to be in love with .

seems you have been out of naija for a while, they have upgraded to other color variants of the gum grin

thanks for the diesel tip.

3 Likes

Re: Engine Flush by Nobody: 3:10pm On Mar 06, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
seems you have been out of naija for a while, they have upgraded to other color variants of the gum grin

thanks for the diesel tip.

Lol @ upgraded gum.
Re: Engine Flush by DECOtech(m): 4:50pm On Mar 06, 2015
Lolz! ...Siena never misses this line when talking about gaskets and sealants
Siena:
not that nasty black "gum" Nigerian mechanics seem to be in love with.

grin grin grin
Re: Engine Flush by Nobody: 9:30pm On Mar 06, 2015
uboma:

What type of engine oil do you make use of?

What's the spec of your car?
Been on with Total SAE 40 multi-mineral technology
Re: Engine Flush by jboixxx: 3:47am On Mar 08, 2015
@ siena & gazzuzz: what's d difference(s) btw Engine flush & ringing of engine? Thanks.
Re: Engine Flush by Nobody: 12:27pm On Mar 08, 2015
DECOtech:
Lolz! ...Siena never misses this line when talking about gaskets and sealants

grin grin grin
The so called gasket gum, that comes in multi shades of color, quite sad many don't know about shellac gasket sealant
Re: Engine Flush by Nobody: 1:23pm On Mar 08, 2015
jboixxx:
@ siena & gazzuzz: what's d difference(s) btw Engine flush & ringing of engine? Thanks.

Engine flushing: Draining the oil, replacing the oil with the same capacity engine flush or diesel, running the engine at idle for about 10 minutes, then draining. Some flushing agents you actually add to the old oil, idle and drain as above. Then a new oil filter is fitted, new oil added then you're done.

Ringing an engine: This involves removing the pistons, stripping the oil control and compression rings, then fitting new items. If the cylinder bores are glazed, they will need to be lightly scored with a deglazing tool, otherwise the new rings won't bed in and seal properly. Replacing piston rings usually involves an engine strip down, though the procedure can be done with the engine in situ, with just the cylinder head/heads and oil pan pulled.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Engine Flush by jboixxx: 2:44pm On Mar 08, 2015
Siena:

Engine flushing: Draining the oil, replacing the oil with the same capacity engine flush or diesel, running the engine at idle for about 10 minutes, then draining. Some flushing agents you actually add to the old oil, idle and drain as above. Then a new oil filter is fitted, new oil added then you're done.

Ringing an engine: This involves removing the pistons, stripping the oil control and compression rings, then fitting new items. If the cylinder bores are glazed, they will need to be lightly scored with a deglazing tool, otherwise the new rings won't bed in and seal properly. Replacing piston rings usually involves an engine strip down, though the procedure can be done with the engine in situ, with just the cylinder head/heads and oil pan pulled.
Thanks, sir. Well understood.
Re: Engine Flush by engrQudus(m): 8:31am On Mar 10, 2015
Flushing of ur engine is a very good tin .. cos it remove d slug in ur engine.. meaning it remove thick dirty oil away from ur engine for d new oil to supply well round d engine and most of all after flushing ur engine. .for d next 2 month ur engine oil will still b clean wen u check it
Re: Engine Flush by donbuchi1(m): 2:25pm On Mar 18, 2015
engrQudus:
Flushing of ur engine is a very good tin .. cos it remove d slug in ur engine.. meaning it remove thick dirty oil away from ur engine for d new oil to supply well round d engine and most of all after flushing ur engine. .for d next 2 month ur engine oil will still b clean wen u check it

Please watch this video and decide... It is a terrible thing
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/flushservices.html
Re: Engine Flush by honmusa(m): 3:21pm On Mar 18, 2015
indigene:
Is it necessary?
Moral of this video is that :Never follow any procedure that is not recommended by your manufacturer ,Flush your engine at your own own risk cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Engine Flush by apatayeraye: 3:02am On Mar 16, 2023
Please house, what type of engine oil is good for servicing Honda Accord (bulldog) that will not turn to gum, reduce oil after two weeks of changing the oil and will not make the engine smoke?. Experienced person pls.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Does It Cost To Register A Car In Nigeria / Read Why & How My Car Almost Got Seized By Customs Because Of These Car Sellers / See The New TESLA Roadster Y Concept Study

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.