Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,622 members, 7,820,204 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! (9304 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Urhobo Names And Their Meanings. / Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by ABUMONYE: 1:27pm On Mar 06, 2015
I really love all Igbo names, but I barely see any that come from Onitsha. Help me out with that!

Also, could somebody translate the following? I have ideas, I just want to confirm to see if I'm right.

Amalunweze
Agbatulenye
Igwenagu
Oseloka
Idei
Dakwasienyi
Akukalia
Akupueome
Mmilililienyi

Daalu!
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by abiki(f): 1:47pm On Mar 06, 2015
Onitsha ado n' idu.

Proud daughter of Onitsha.

Nwando

Ukecha

Mbanefo

Ofodile

Nwanyibuife

The names your mentioned above are for ozo title holders or Odu title holders in Onitsha.

I can translate few though. Mmilililienyi means "water that swallowed an elephant"

Akukalia - Plenty wealth.

Amalunweze - A king's child is known.

Oseloka - God is lord.

Akupoeme --- Your money has roots

Dakwasienyi --------- Someone that falls on an elephant. Lol

Agbatulenyi ---------------- Someone that killed an elephant.

1 Like

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by ifyalways(f): 2:48pm On Mar 06, 2015
Uhuha ooo. Nekwanu umunne m ebe. Okwa i na afu cheesy

Afa nna m ochie bu Amalunwaeze, Amalunwaogalanya ma o cho ilecha. But I agree with Abiki, most names there bu afa ozo na odu.

Afa m bu Ifeoma. Ada Onicha from Ogbea-abo. Afo odu m bu "Nma zuru aru". cool kiss

Abiki kedu ogbe i? Dalu kwanu

1 Like

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 3:28pm On Mar 06, 2015
Most of these names are common throughout Anambra.

Are there names that are peculiar to Onitsha-Mmili? I'm feeling more than a little doubtful about that.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 4:06pm On Mar 06, 2015
Amalunweze - Who knows the King's child?

Agbatulenye - Correction - Agbatuluenyi The Elephant was knocked down. A name often given to one who accomplishes/is known for accomplishing great feats.

Igwenagu - King of the forest.

Oseloka - God thinks greatly (for me). Other similar Igbo names are Chinelo, Chinecherem, Uchechukwu/Elochukwu.

Idei - Pillar.

Dakwasienyi - Lean/fall on the elephant.

Akukalia - Excess of riches.

Akupueome - Riches that has roots/came out from somewhere. 'Ome' is the new tender growth of plants.

Mmilililienyi - The water that drowned the elephant.

By virtue of its size, the elephant is used to symbolize one in Igboland who is great in his endeavours and accomplishes feats worthy of recognition.

2 Likes

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 4:09pm On Mar 06, 2015
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by ABUMONYE: 4:10pm On Mar 06, 2015
abiki:
Onitsha ado n' idu.

Proud daughter of Onitsha.

Nwando

Ukecha

Mbanefo

Ofodile

Nwanyibuife

The names your mentioned above are for ozo title holders or Odu title holders in Onitsha.

I can translate few though. Mmilililienyi means "water that swallowed an elephant"

Akukalia - Plenty wealth.

Amalunweze - A king's child is known.

Oseloka - God is lord.

Akupoeme --- Your money has roots

Dakwasienyi --------- Someone that falls on an elephant. Lol

Agbatulenyi ---------------- Someone that killed an elephant.

Daalu nwanne m nwanyi
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by ABUMONYE: 4:15pm On Mar 06, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Agbatulenye - Correction - Agbatuluenyi The Elephant was knocked down. A name often given to one who accomplishes/is known for accomplishing great feats.

Oseloka - God thinks greatly (for me). Other similar Igbo names are Chinecherem, Uchechukwu/Elochukwu.
Idei - Pillar.

Akupueome - Riches that has roots/came out from somewhere. 'Ome' is the new tender growth of plants.

By virtue of its size, the elephant is used to symbolize one in Igboland who is great in his endeavours and accomplishes feats worthy of recognition.

Yes, sorry it was a typo. Daalu nwanne m. Do you know of any names that are not commonly found outside of Onitsha?

1 Like

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 4:28pm On Mar 06, 2015
ABUMONYE:

Yes, sorry it was a typo. Daalu nwanne m. Do you know of any names that are not commonly found outside of Onitsha?

Nwanne, ife melu ife anunwa bu na afa onicha/anambra e fesago n'ani Igbo niine. Typical Onicha/Anambra names like Ifeanyi, Ifunanya, Nkeiru, Oluchi, Elochukwu, Dozie, Chinelo, etc. have spread over Igboland and are borne by Igbos all over Igboland, thus it might be rare to find names borne by Onicha people alone. Such names might still exist though.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by EzeEfuna(m): 4:51pm On Mar 06, 2015
ifyalways:

Afa nna m ochie bu Amalunwaeze, Amalunwaogalanya ma o cho ilecha. But I agree with Abiki, most names there bu afa ozo na odu.

Afa m bu Ifeoma. Ada Onicha from Ogbea-abo. Afo odu m bu "Nma zuru aru". cool kiss

Nwanne m nwanyi, kedu ka I mee? My grandfather's title was Amalunweze. I'm from Onitsha - Obikporo Village to be exact, but I was born and raised in America.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 6:01pm On Mar 06, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Interesting. The way this name is pronounced in my place does not support this translation.

it is pronounced like:

Igwe = Multitude (of people)

Na-agu = which sounds like to 'read' or 'being hungry' rather than 'forest'.

1 Like

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by abiki(f): 6:20pm On Mar 06, 2015
ifyalways:

Nwanne m nwanyi, abu m onye umudei.

Afa odu gi bu so mma. Mama mu na aza "Nwamulunamma".
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 7:01pm On Mar 06, 2015
Radoillo:

Interesting. The way this name is pronounced in my place does not support this translation.

it is pronounced like:

Igwe = Multitude (of people)

Na-agu = which sounds like to 'read' or 'being hungry' rather than 'forest'.

The tonality of Igbo, just like most African languages, leaves words open to several translations.

Interesting. I thought of your translation earlier. Going by your translation/pronunciation, do you think there's much sense/meaning to it?
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by tonychristopher: 7:24pm On Mar 06, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Nwanne, ife melu ife anunwa bu na afa onicha/anambra e fesago n'ani Igbo niine. Typical Onicha/Anambra names like Ifeanyi, Ifunanya, Nkeiru, Oluchi, Elochukwu, Dozie, Chinelo, etc. have spread over Igboland and are borne by Igbos all over Igboland, thus it might be rare to find names borne by Onicha people alone. Such names might still exist though.

Mechie onu

How can u say that

Shame

So onitsha brought those names ...I wonder how you people talk

3 Likes

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by tonychristopher: 7:31pm On Mar 06, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Agbatulenye - Correction - Agbatuluenyi The Elephant was knocked down. A name often given to one who accomplishes/is known for accomplishing great feats. wink

Oseloka - God thinks greatly (for me). Other similar Igbo names are Chinelo, Chinecherem, Uchechukwu/Elochukwu.

Idei - Pillar.

Alll these praise names in anambra
Afa otutu
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 7:32pm On Mar 06, 2015
tonychristopher:

Mechie onu

How can u say that

Shame

So onitsha brought those names ...I wonder how you people talk

LOL! grin
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 9:58pm On Mar 06, 2015
bigfrancis21:

The tonality of Igbo, just like most African languages, leaves words open to several translations.

Interesting. I thought of your translation earlier. Going by your translation/pronunciation, do you think there's much sense/meaning to it?

Not really. The thing with some Igbo names is that one cannot always be sure how to interprete them if one is not aware of the stories behind them, or if one does not know the longer versions of such names (A lot of Igbo names are actually shortened versions which might not make much sense to someone who doesn't know the full version).

Igwenagu sounds like 'the multitude is reading'. I admit that that makes no sense. But unless Igwenagu in Onitsha is pronounced differently from the way it is pronounced elsewhere, I do not see it meaning 'King in the forest' either.

Question: Have you actually heard the name pronounced or are you going off of what you can make of the written form? I just want to be sure we are talking of the same name here.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 10:44pm On Mar 06, 2015
Radoillo:

Not really. The thing with some Igbo names is that one cannot always be sure how to interprete them if one is not aware of the stories behind them, or if one does not know the longer versions of such names (A lot of Igbo names are actually shortened versions which might not make much sense to someone who doesn't know the full version).

Igwenagu sounds like 'the multitude is reading'. I admit that that makes no sense. But unless Igwenagu in Onitsha is pronounced differently from the way it is pronounced elsewhere, I do not see it meaning 'King in the forest' either.

Question: Have you actually heard the name pronounced or are you going off of what you can make of the written form? I just want to be sure we are talking of the same name here.

I went by the written form because it made sense to me after considering its several possible meanings. The 'Igwe' in your interpretation might actually mean 'heaven' or 'king', which would then give the name a more valid meaning. Don't you think?
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 10:52pm On Mar 06, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I went by the written form because it made sense to me after considering its several possible meanings. The 'Igwe' in your interpretation might actually mean 'heaven' or 'king', which would then give the name a more valid meaning. Don't you think?

Igwe (King/heaven) and Igwe (multitude) are not pronounced the same, and Igbo speakers are not in the habit of mixing them up.

In any case, I just got off the phone with my mother, and she gave me an interpretation that makes a lot of sense. Don't know why I didn't see it before; it was quite obvious.

Igwenagu = (I) hunger for/yearn for people (multitude), i.e., No one wants to be a loner or to be isolated.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 10:54pm On Mar 06, 2015
Radoillo:

Igwe (King/heaven) and Igwe (multitude) are not pronounced the same, and Igbo speakers are not in the habit of mixing them up.

In any case, I just got off the phone with my mother, and she gave me an interpretation that makes a lot of sense. Don't know why I didn't see it before; it was quite obvious.

Igwenagu = (I) hunger for/yearn for people (multitude), i.e., No one wants to be a loner or to be isolated.

Wonderful. The meaning is much clearer now.

Anyway, how are you doing? cool
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by pazienza(m): 10:59pm On Mar 06, 2015
Igwenagu= Ezenagu?= One who hungers for crown/glorly?

1 Like

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 11:02pm On Mar 06, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Wonderful. The meaning is much clearer now.

Anyway, how are you doing? cool

I'm doing alright. And you? smiley
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 11:04pm On Mar 06, 2015
pazienza:
Igwenagu= Ezenagu?= One who hungers for crown/glorly?

Er... not really. The Igwe in that name isn't pronounced as King. The translation is won point for Ezenagu though.

1 Like

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 11:07pm On Mar 06, 2015
Radoillo:

I'm doing alright. And you? smiley

I'm alright. Got some free time on my hands today. It snowed heavily throughout yesterday, campus was closed yesterday and today.

Where are you now?
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by pazienza(m): 11:09pm On Mar 06, 2015
By the way, those names are not Onicha names. They are Idemili names, They are our gift to Ezechime people upon their return from Bini.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 11:11pm On Mar 06, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I'm alright. Got some free time on my hands today. It snowed heavily throughout yesterday, campus was closed yesterday and today.

Where are you now?

Still knocking around Birmingham. I finished my degree last year though. Seriously thinking of heading back home. Ebe a aburo be mmadu, mehn. smiley
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 11:14pm On Mar 06, 2015
pazienza:
By the way, those names are not Onicha names. They are Idemili names, They are our gift to Ezechime people upon their return from Bini.

Could you name some 'core' onicha names that you know?
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 11:16pm On Mar 06, 2015
Radoillo:

Still knocking around Birmingham. I finished my degree last year though. Seriously thinking of heading back home. Ebe a aburo be mmadu, mehn. smiley

Yea, that's true. With a good job or an established business, one is better off in Nigeria, much less taxation, cheaper cost of living etc.

What field is your masters degree in?
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by pazienza(m): 11:21pm On Mar 06, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Could you name some 'core' onicha names that you know?

Can only remember "Adibua" now. That's a typical Onicha name.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 11:27pm On Mar 06, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Yea, that's true. With a good job or an established business, one is better off in Nigeria, much less taxation, cheaper cost of living etc.

What field is your masters degree in?

It's Engineering-related.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by Nobody: 11:36pm On Mar 06, 2015
What may pass off as typical Onitsha names are actually Aniocha/Oshimili names that their forbears brought from there.

Adibua is a common Aniocha name. Another one are the Azi- names (Azike, Azikiwe).

I'm tempted to add Chude/Chukwude/Chukude. Every single person I know with the name is either Aniocha/Oshimili or Onitsha.

Then there is Uwechia (clearly a form of Uwechue). And Nzegwu/ Nzedegwu.

Names beginning with Osa/Ose, though now very widespread were probably originally confined to Ika, Aniocha/Oshimili, Ogbaru and Onitsha.

2 Likes

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by bigfrancis21: 11:42pm On Mar 06, 2015
Radoillo:

It's Engineering-related.

I didn't know you are a fellow engineer like me. I studied EE but doing my masters in telecommunications engineering. What's your field?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

HRH Eze Damian Obianigwe Emerges Grand Patron First Amity United Friends Club / The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source / What Is Female Beauty In Your Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.