Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,141 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! (9214 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Urhobo Names And Their Meanings. / Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by mightyokwy(m): 8:21am On Dec 08, 2016
Nice thread. I learnt alot specifically that of Azikiwe.
Am from Ihiala and we also have names like Akaolisa, Olisa and Osakwe But they are mainly surnames. There are other names in my town I still find it deficult to understand their meaning. Such names include, Abaliwu, Agbakagba, Anyurugwo, Igwilo, onyenyuforo, Ezike, Alisigwo, Nwalisi and more.
Recently I learnt that Asika=Asikaburu, Ejezie=Ijeoma
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by CowHard: 6:02pm On Dec 08, 2016
Ifatu Chineze Ikem Azongini Abomeli Chiejina Dumebi Oseloka Egbuciem Bosa Duaka Emogokwue Egbunike Akosa Aduba etc.....
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 8:11am On Dec 10, 2016

Not really. The thing with some Igbo names is that one cannot always be sure how to interprete them if one is not aware of the stories behind them, or if one does not know the longer versions of such names (A lot of Igbo names are actually shortened versions which might not make much sense to someone who doesn't know the full version).

Igwenagu sounds like 'the multitude is reading'. I admit that that makes no sense. But unless Igwenagu in Onitsha is pronounced differently from the way it is pronounced elsewhere, I do not see it meaning 'King in the forest' either.

Question: Have you actually heard the name pronounced or are you going off of what you can make of the written form? I just want to be sure we are talking of the same name here.

Igwenagu is similar to Nzenagu.
Are used for Igwe and Nze title intenders respectively.

More like Nze Na agu m - I will like to be an Nze
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by connkg(m): 8:31pm On Dec 11, 2016
@abiki
Where art thou?
A bu m onye Umudei. Tasia by Ojedi.
I bu onye be m?

@radoillo and bigfrancis21,
Chude is Chukwu de be/ Chukwu de belu.

Okagbue! Azubuike! Enuma!
Easy, but sort of incomplete meanings without the full sentence.
A rapukwana isi okwu a! E je m mgbako Ndi Onitsha na Lagos nyaa. Onitsha erika!
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by abiki(f): 8:49pm On Dec 11, 2016
connkg:
@abiki
Where art thou?
A bu m onye Umudei. Tasia by Ojedi.
I bu onye be m?

@radoillo and bigfrancis21,
Chude is Chukwu de be/ Chukwu de belu.

Okagbue! Azubuike! Enuma!
Easy, but sort of incomplete meanings without the full sentence.
A rapukwana isi okwu a! E je m mgbako Ndi Onitsha na Lagos nyaa. Onitsha erika!

Nwanne m, a bu m onye umudei.
Re: Please Post Onitsha Names And Their Meanings! by connkg(m): 9:03pm On Dec 11, 2016
Ebee ka unu bi?
E bi m Tasia by Ojedi, n'uso Ojiba Lane.
A no m Lagos kitaa, site mgbe m nata mahadum.
Iwe ewena I, aro o ne ka I di?
I bu onye be m? I ma onye m bu?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Young Igbo Princess In Traditional Igbo Regalia / A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) / Who Is The Strongest Igwe In Igbo Land.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.