Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,519 members, 7,770,323 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:17 AM

Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. (164039 Views)

Kids Cartoon In Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Languages(Video) / Names Of Animals,insects And Birds In Hausa. / Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Lavidah: 6:17pm On Mar 07, 2015
You didn't mention the Yoruba name for Pigeon.
Can anyone help out?
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by johnshagb(m): 6:21pm On Mar 07, 2015
18. hamster - aşin

correction

shrew- asin

2 Likes

Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by petitmonde(m): 6:22pm On Mar 07, 2015
Peacock-Okin
who remembers okin biscuit?
Okin is the national bird(in fact the symbol) of the Offa people.
Okin biscuit industiry was owned by an indigene.Hence,the name and brand 'Okin biscuit'
giraffe-agbanrere
fox-kolokolo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by oladimeji09(m): 6:25pm On Mar 07, 2015
Ishilove:

So what's erilakatabu?

Big elephant,
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Ninilowo(m): 6:30pm On Mar 07, 2015
Point of correction OP, hedgehog is not turuku ooo. Turuku in Yoruba is wharthog while hedgehog is tafatafa cos of the way it shoots the arrows when threatened.The close relative is porcupine called liili. Also alligator and crocodile are usually called ONI cos its pretty difficult to differentiate the two moreso, only crocs are found around us here. At the same time, its a nice job by the OP. 3 gbosa for you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by abbyyzino(m): 6:31pm On Mar 07, 2015
Lavidah:
Can anyone help out?

eye ilé

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by abbyyzino(m): 6:33pm On Mar 07, 2015
Ninilowo:
Point of correction OP, hedgehog is not turuku ooo. Turuku in Yoruba is wharthog while hedgehog is tafatafa cos of the way it shoots the arrows when threatened.The close relative is porcupine called liili. Also alligator and crocodile are usually called ONI cos its pretty difficult to differentiate the two moreso, only crocs are found around us here. At the same time, its a nice job by the OP. 3 gbosa for you.
alligator is called àlégbà

1 Like

Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by anselm791(m): 6:35pm On Mar 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Welcome idea. You can quickly open a thread for that in the culture section and it will be moved to the fp.
Thanks for the tip.
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Abbeyunique2(m): 6:37pm On Mar 07, 2015
petitmonde:
Peacock-Okin
who remembers okin biscuit?
Okin is the national bird(in fact the symbol) of the Offa people.
Okin biscuit industiry was owned by an indigene.Hence,the name and brand 'Okin biscuit'
giraffe-agbanrere
fox-kolokolo

yeah, it goes thus

iyeru okin, olafamajo omo abisu je oruko,
omo ijakadi loro tofa................
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Ninilowo(m): 6:38pm On Mar 07, 2015
Lavidah:
Can anyone help out?
Pigeon should be eyele

1 Like

Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Abbeyunique2(m): 6:40pm On Mar 07, 2015
abbyyzino:

no. alegba or anta is monitor lizard.

alligator is a temperate spp just like tiger
they can't be found in the tropics.

3 Likes

Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Ninilowo(m): 6:42pm On Mar 07, 2015
abbyyzino:

No. Alegba is monitor lizard. You can Google it and confirm. The lenght and shape of the mouth are the only distinguishing factors between crocodile and alligator.
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by sod09(m): 6:43pm On Mar 07, 2015
Abbeyunique2:

actually we do have them. i've seen it at over 3 zoos (ibadan, funaab and oau)
yea that's true
My bad
There's one at ogba zoo benin
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Ninilowo(m): 6:43pm On Mar 07, 2015
Abbeyunique2:

no. alegba or anta is monitor lizard.

alligator is a temperate spp just like tiger
they can't be found in the tropics.
100% correct.
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by ghostofsparta(m): 6:46pm On Mar 07, 2015
NaijaOptimist:

source: https://sites.google.com/site/learnyorubafree/zoology---birds
Nice one

What are the English and Yoruba names of these birds/animals

Akalamagbo

Flying Squirrel

Efon
abbyyzino:

[size=16pt]àlégbà[/size] is a specie of iguana/monitor lizard/komodo dragon unique to Yorubaland habitat.

ggrin:
elephant
Erin
Ajanaku
Why akure peeps call it erinlakatabu cool
Incorrect.
[size=16pt]Erin[/size] is the generic name for elephants, [size=16pt]Ajanaku[/size]is it ijinle (authentic) name while erin-lakatabu refers their pre-historic such as the Mammoth, Mastodon.

Ghost_of_Sparta aka Amos Nonyu... the deep Yoruba researcher has spoken with authority.

In the meantime...One of these interesting topics might fancy your interest

To understand how a child begotten through the mating of a husband and wife still manages to capture the resemblance of an outsider, click PARANORMAL or SCIENCE:MATERNAL IMPRINTING where a rational possibility is examined, following up on Nelly's 99.3 Nigeria Info Friday radio talk show 'Paranormal or Science'

Apart from religious reasons why do Nigerians pretend so much about sex, click Why Should We Avoid Premarital Sex? following up on MzMyColi poser on the burning question.

To get some clarity on the confusion as to why the deistic force of retribution and justice known as ṢANGÓ is generally misunderstood, click ṢANGÓ-ONE OF THE 401 MISPERCEIVED ÍRUNMO̩LẸ to read on how the misperception is rationalized.

To read about the new Intel's low-energy Core M processor, click PROCESSOR OF CONFUSION to read on how this relatively new chip oppresses some of its predecessors.

Who is to blame immediately a budding relationship start heading south? Find out by clicking THE RELATIONSHIP BLAME GAME: THE ABUSE, THE ABUSED & THE ABUSER to see if you agree or not with the arguments.
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Ninilowo(m): 6:46pm On Mar 07, 2015
dondemex:
Big Fish: Dapo Oyebanjo
grin dBanj
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Jabioro: 6:48pm On Mar 07, 2015
Ishilove:
I thought elephant was 'erilakatabu'
Ajanaku in deep Yoruba
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by AmakaDNB(f): 6:48pm On Mar 07, 2015
Hare = Ehoro Igbo

MEANING?
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by RAO1(m): 6:50pm On Mar 07, 2015
please, OP....... is it eagle - awodi dt feed on chickens....Cus am always confused of d 2 birds Kite - Asa n Eagle - awodi....
wot i know about d 2 birds,,,
kite-Asa.....smaller n not dt wild...
Eagle -awodi / asa konko..... not very common in our vicinity... wilder n Bigger dan d oda one
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by tabontabon: 6:50pm On Mar 07, 2015
It is erinlakatabu,(you missed the 'n') which i guess it's the longer form of erin.
All three refers to an elephant. There is a yoruba sentence/idiom that says it all
"Erinlakatabu,ajanaku koja mo ri nkan fiiri."
Ishilove:

So what's erilakatabu?
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by ageraGT: 6:53pm On Mar 07, 2015
ah confess I only clicked here to compile yoruba words to insult my bestie.
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by mayorall(m): 6:54pm On Mar 07, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
If Aligator is Elegungun, what do you call porcupine?

Aligator is Anta

Porcupine is sese
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Hawlahscho(m): 6:55pm On Mar 07, 2015
ifekemmie:
I dunno hamster is asin, thanks for d info.

Pple will not be much on dis thread even yoruba pple because dey can't speak nor write their language.

Am waiting for igbo n hausa version

Even me.
and that cuckoo too... Odere Koko grin cool
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by itstpia99: 6:56pm On Mar 07, 2015
dondemex:
Big Fish:

big fish is eja nla.
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Hawlahscho(m): 6:57pm On Mar 07, 2015
Ishilove:

So what's erilakatabu?

Same thing.
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by masqot(m): 6:59pm On Mar 07, 2015
anselm791:
To be fair and in the spirit of one nigeria, I will be working on the names of animals in Igbo and it better make front page for the good of all of us. Thank you.
It'll be appreciated. One love.
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Hawlahscho(m): 6:59pm On Mar 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

That is Igbo (Aguiyi) for Crocodile??

Oni or Aroni for crocodile.
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by mayorall(m): 7:00pm On Mar 07, 2015
Hawlahscho:

Oni or Aroni for crocodile.

Aroni is warrior, someone with potent black magic.
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by dammy336(f): 7:05pm On Mar 07, 2015
johnshagb:

18. hamster - aşin

correction

shrew- asin
I think the mouse is asin while the rat is eku
Hamsters are more furry than mice
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Kimoni: 7:06pm On Mar 07, 2015
I could swear this thread was from Tpia but I am wrong.

Op, what is akalamagbo? I hear that a lot.

1 Like

Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Nobody: 7:06pm On Mar 07, 2015
Op,no 18 in d animal section is incorrect. Asin is known as shrew or mole in english. lt has long mouth n smells offensively

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Can't People Embrace Pan-africanism? Why So Much Hatred On This Forum?? / Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. / Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.