Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,625 members, 7,770,667 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:45 PM

Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. (164043 Views)

Kids Cartoon In Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Languages(Video) / Names Of Animals,insects And Birds In Hausa. / Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by justiniy(m): 1:23am On Mar 08, 2015
Hmm...hamster aint asin joor..shrew is asin...while ajanaku is buffalo..nd hyena is ikooko nd not wolf!..oya bami fa
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Thereishel: 2:38am On Mar 08, 2015
Elephant- Ajanaku, erin
Oriki erin ni erinlakatabu. They use this to describe the fat people too

Ishilove:

So what's erilakatabu?
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Abbeyunique2(m): 6:53am On Mar 08, 2015
soyelowo082:

pls wat is English name for esuru

Esuru is bitter yam Dioscorea dumetorum,
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Abbeyunique2(m): 6:57am On Mar 08, 2015
Odere Koko grin cool[/quote]

Odere koko is called laughing dove
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Adeyinka12(m): 7:34am On Mar 08, 2015
Mouse----- eworo/ehoro/eku funfun
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by jide333(m): 8:04am On Mar 08, 2015
Lots of people will argue with me that òdèrè is not cuckoo.. Even most of my friends gambled it and refuse to agree.. Thank GOD NL post this..
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Moblord(m): 9:10am On Mar 08, 2015
rakunmi and tolotolo are thesame in hausa..
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Irunmole(m): 2:26pm On Mar 08, 2015
7. Warthog and not hedgehog is turuku.
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by mayorall(m): 3:22pm On Mar 08, 2015
felsunseg:
it depends on which part of the Yoruba speaking community you are from.

It's the general accepted Yoruba. "Ede Oyo".
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Hero10001: 3:59pm On Mar 08, 2015
I don't agree with wolf as ikooko.
Hyena is ikooko-ajegun'jeran.
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by dellaziz(m): 8:45am On Mar 09, 2015
amodaade:

How did alligator pepper come about

Lol....is ALLIGATOR a Yoruba word
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by dellaziz(m): 8:46am On Mar 09, 2015
jide333:
Lots of people will argue with me that òdèrè is not cuckoo.. Even most of my friends gambled it and refuse to agree.. Thank GOD NL post this..

odere koko is turtle dove

1 Like

Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by dellaziz(m): 8:47am On Mar 09, 2015
justiniy:
Hmm...hamster aint asin joor..shrew is asin...while ajanaku is buffalo..nd hyena is ikooko nd not wolf!..oya bami fa

efon is buffalo and ajanaku is elephant
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by dellaziz(m): 8:50am On Mar 09, 2015
Ninilowo:
Yeah you are correct. Even we have purcupine too it is called LIILI. it coils itself into a ball when it senses danger or when threatened

that is hedgehog
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by dellaziz(m): 8:50am On Mar 09, 2015
Ninilowo:
Yeah you are correct. Even we have purcupine too it is called LIILI. it coils itself into a ball when it senses danger or when threatened

that is hedgehog...that coils when threatened
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by gatiano(m): 11:11am On Mar 09, 2015
Esu is not devil.
devil is Ika
Orisha is not GOD in that sense, They are Eloheim.

Rapidx:
Linguistically close and yet dislike themselves so much, Yoruba and Igbo need to discover themselves more than they are so far doing.
There are thousands of words that mean the same and sound the same in both languages.
In this list i could pick names like:

OWL----Yoruba___OWIWI.... Igbo....IKWIKWI

OSTRITCH....Yoruba...Ogongo......Igbo.....Ogonogo Nnunu

ELEPHANT....yoruba.....Erin..........Igbo.....Enyi

CAT.....Yoruba....olongbo..........Igbo.....Onogbo

GOAT.....Yoruba....Ewure..........Igbo ....Ewu

SQUIRREL....Yoruba....Okere......Igbo....Oke

HEN/ROOSTER...Yoruba...Akuko....Igbo....Okuko

And so many......Other similarities like;

Eriri.....Yoruba...Extreme grief
Ariri......Igbo....extreme grief

Imu....yoruba....nose
Imi.....Igbo...nose

Agan....bareness..Yoruba
Aga...bareness....Igbo

Eti....Ear...Yoruba
Nti....ear...Igbo

Igba...calabash...Yoruba
Agba....calabash...Igbo

Okuta...Stone Yoruba
Okute....stone...Igbo

Eru...Slave ...Yoruba
Oru...Slave...Igbo

Orisa...God...Yoruba
Olisa...God...Igbo

Esu..Devil...Yoruba
Ekwe-Nsu...Igbo

Ogun....Twenty...Yoruba
Ogu....Twenty ...Igbo

O mi/miri....water...Yoruba
N miri....water...Igbo

Agbin....Yoruba...chin
Agba....Igbo....chin

Ifufe....Yoruba....breeze/wind/air
Ifufu/Ikuku...Igbo...Breeze/wind/air

Awi...Yoruba...grey hair
Awo...Igbo.....grey hair

Giripa/Igiripa....Yoruba...Man in in his youth/strong man
Dimkpa.....Igbo......man in his youth/strong man

Oogun...yoruba...medicine/poison/charm
Ogwu....Igbo...medicine/poison/charm

Apara....Yoruba...basket?
Akpara....Igbo...basket

Udu omi...yoruba...large water pot
Udu mmiri...Igbo...large water pot

Orun...yoruba...neck
Onu....Igbo...neck

Etc...

1 Like

Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by gatiano(m): 11:25am On Mar 09, 2015
All the same, those name were given before the splitting of land from one another (tectonic plate), so at one time in the past, kiniun ws tiger found not far from this continent.

gidiMonsta:

There are no Tigers in Africa. Leopards are actually Ekun and Cheetahs are Amotekun.
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by gatiano(m): 11:29am On Mar 09, 2015
Op, could you kindly explain the meaning of these names and how they were derived. because i know for a fact that the blackman gave name to the animal based on their functions and not on their looks. those functions failed in them because... it is not important yet.
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Mattpopson101: 2:05pm On Mar 09, 2015
Me sef disagree with u, what Mouse
I knew it to be ASIN
justiniy:
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Mattpopson101: 2:08pm On Mar 09, 2015
Really?, wat re dey called in Hausa language?
Moblord:
rakunmi and tolotolo are thesame in hausa..
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Mattpopson101: 2:09pm On Mar 09, 2015
Hahahaha for where u see this one... mouse na asin
Adeyinka12:
Mouse----- eworo/ehoro/eku funfun

1 Like

Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Moblord(m): 8:31pm On Mar 09, 2015
Mattpopson101:
Really?, wat re dey called in Hausa language?
rakumi- camel tolotolo- turkey
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by itstpia8: 11:36pm On Mar 09, 2015
kriskristyne:
Nice. Just a little correction here op.
Leopard- ekun
cheetah- amotekun
tigers are not found in Africa so there was and there have never been a name for it.
Guessed our teachers who failed to listen to their teachers well taught us the wrong thing

there are no tigers native to (west) Africa, so there wouldn't be a native name for them, but soldiers or people who went to Asia for one reason or the other, might have seen tigers and when they got back home, probably described them as ekun.

that could account for the misconception.

I noticed some nlers believe tigers are found naturally in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by qudusiny007: 2:50am On Oct 13, 2015
[quote author=Haywhymido post=31401355] sir what about ako okuta
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Haywhymido(m): 11:42am On Oct 13, 2015
[quote author=qudusiny007 post=38929106][/quote]dat i dont knw mr qudusinny.
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Kass007: 2:06pm On Jun 26, 2016
Ishilove:
I thought elephant was 'erilakatabu'

It is spelt "Erinlakatabu" which translates "A big Elephant has fallen". Usage: it is used when an important, a prominent, personality dies.

Meaning: Erinlakatabu means a big Elephant falls and unable to get up. I.e when the elephant is so big that when it falls in a certain way, it won't be able to lift itself up without being aided. So in a situation where such an Elephant falls and people around can do nothing to help it up, such an elephant ends up dying.

Full Usage: Erinlakatabu ko le dide which means "A huge Elephant has fallen and can't get up".
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Kass007: 2:12pm On Jun 26, 2016
NaijaOptimist:

source: https://sites.google.com/site/learnyorubafree/zoology---birds

Pls what is Eye Kana-Kana called in English?
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by olumig(m): 2:40pm On Feb 18, 2017
gidiMonsta:

There are no Tigers in Africa. Leopards are actually Ekun and Cheetahs are Amotekun.
correct
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by olumig(m): 2:46pm On Feb 18, 2017
dellaziz:

efon is buffalo and ajanaku is elephant
actually ajanaku is a title given to elephant hunters
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by olumig(m): 2:48pm On Feb 18, 2017
Hero10001:
I don't agree with wolf as ikooko.
Hyena is ikooko-ajegun'jeran.
we don't have wolves in Africa
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Obaf1(m): 9:08am On Jul 06, 2017
NaijaOptimist:

source: https://sites.google.com/site/learnyorubafree/zoology---birds
;;;; what is the name of eye kanankanan(kanankanan bird) in english language plz
Re: Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. by Obaf1(m): 9:09am On Jul 06, 2017
zoology---birds[/quote];;;; what is the name of eye kanankanan(kanankanan bird) in english language plz

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Can't People Embrace Pan-africanism? Why So Much Hatred On This Forum?? / Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. / Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.