Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? (42229 Views)

Optometry, Dentistry And Pharmancy What Is The Duration Of Study / Pharmacy Or Physiotherapy / Which University Can I Study Physiotherapy In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 11:20pm On Jan 25, 2018
Cosmode:

See me see wahala oo
Pls We need English teacher to judge whose syntax is right or wrong, This guy is the real slowpoke.
Another Error:
"You are easily the worst writer I have seen on nairaland". U are the one that wrote this? hmmm I won't say much, is left for the public to judge u on this.

The guy writeup is 100% inspiring than urs, try and check his age, then u will realise u ve wasted ur days in university learning thrash. what a pity.

You oaf, this is what I said: You are easily the worst writer I have seen on nairaland... "
What are you trying to correct. An illiterate like you trying to correct my write - up? What do you know in English. I don't blame you. You have the facelessnes of nairaland to thank for covering up your intellectual ineptitude.

2. " The guy writeup is 100% inspiring than urs,..."
Look at your write-up... U can't even construct a good comparative. It should be "the guy's write up is MORE inspiring than urs..."
Speaking with you is an insult. You keeping yapping about age:how come at your age you can't express yourself adequately in English? You are to be pitied. How do I discuss healthcare politics with a person who does not know the meaning of concord or pungent. Go and hire a tutor. Stop disgracing your lineage here.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Richohm(m): 12:52am On Jan 26, 2018
Wizydom144:
Mandeyy......keep educating him....just educate him wella...
Also tell him that dental surgeons study medicine, surgery (including anastesiology, opthalmolgy, cadiothoracic, pediatric surgery, etc), pharmacology and therapeutics, pathology, basic Med sci, and also have to study restorative dentistry,peadiatrics, preventive and community dentistry, and oral and maxillofacial surgery (including its diagnoses, radiology, medicine and its pathology).........
Tell him that all this are studied simultaneously in 6yrs, such that a dental surgeon is not just a doctor but a special type of doctor.....a dentist!! Or dental surgeon as it is fondly called....
Tell him that a medical doctor studies medicine and surgery, but a dental surgeon studies medicine, surgery and dentistry at same time.....
Tell him that dentistry is not just teeth but the specialty that deals with the medicine, pathology, diagnoses, radiology and surgery of the oral cavity, that maxillo and facial region, the head and some part of the neck.....
Tell him that apart from the dental clinic and an oral maxillofacial units, that in every plastic surgery unit of any standard hospital like uch for instance, that we have a dentist who specialized in oral maxillo facial surgery being among the frontiers of plastic and aesthetic team.....
Tell him that some specialties in dentistry is part of emedicine( emmergency med) ask him how many emmergencies hv been encountered in optometry...
Tell him that there's a field called forensic dentistry for criminal cases and identification during mass accident and fire outbreak like bombing and plane crash....it was one of the measures taken by luth in identification of corpses after dana plane crash.......
Tell him that dentistry re not in the clinic to count teeth...

Just nine dental schools in nigeria, and u say there's no prospect for a country with billions of pple....ah! Oga think nah.....
They re special type of doctors......a doctor and a surgeon at same time
All dentists are doctors but not all doctors are dentists......
Wao! concise and detailed

1 Like

Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 11:01am On Jan 28, 2018
Richohm:
Just ignore Originbm. Dentistry is a noble profession. In Bangladesh, it's still one body - Bangladesh medical and dental council that regulates medicine and dentistry. It's still one body in Pakistan, all African countries, Saudia Arabia, Malaysia, kuwait, iraq, iran. It's in Europe and d US that there are separate bodies regulating d two professions. Even in bangladesh and pakistan, it's one body that regulates postgraduate medicine and dentistry - bangladesh & pakistan colleges of physicians & surgeons (bcps & pcps). After residency training, both are awarded fellow, college of physicians and surgeons (fcps), afterwhich d dentist or d medical doctor becomes a consultant. See d links of drs abdullah al masud & s.m. Balaji (d duo are dentists) performing tongue cancer surgery with radical neck dissection. D links are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMcQzHvCNRY https://mobile.facebook.com/draamasud?_rdc=1&_rdr
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 11:14am On Jan 28, 2018
Richohm:
See d link of dr s.m. Balaji performing tongue cancer (oral squamous carcinoma of d tongue) surgery with radical neck dissection. D link is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPv6cAiaky0&itct=CAgQpDAYCCITCIDPoMus-tgCFU22VQod0aUNBTIHcmVsYXRIZEiW6ojex5nE42w%3D&hl=en-GB&gl=NG&client=mv-google
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Richohm(m): 1:47am On Jan 29, 2018
Mandeyy:
Just ignore Originbm. Dentistry is a noble profession. In Bangladesh, it's still one body - Bangladesh medical and dental council that regulates medicine and dentistry. It's still one body in Pakistan, all African countries, Saudia Arabia, Malaysia, kuwait, iraq, iran. It's in Europe and d US that there are separate bodies regulating d two professions. Even in bangladesh and pakistan, it's one body that regulates postgraduate medicine and dentistry - bangladesh & pakistan colleges of physicians & surgeons (bcps & pcps). After residency training, both are awarded fellow, college of physicians and surgeons (fcps), afterwhich d dentist or d medical doctor becomes a consultant. See d links of drs abdullah al masud & s.m. Balaji (d duo are dentists) performing tongue cancer surgery with radical neck dissection. D links are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMcQzHvCNRY https://mobile.facebook.com/draamasud?_rdc=1&_rdr
thanks. I looked b4 I leaped.
I am a fresh dental student of oau
subsequent hints by u my senior colleague is highly welcome

1 Like

Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 10:07am On Jan 29, 2018
Mandeyy:

Funny thing about dental students is that when you mention lucrativeness they start talking surgery. All the link you are giving is showing that dentists perform surgery. Was that in contention? You are telling me that they become consultant blah blah blah.
Our question is whether dentistry is lucrative in Nigeria. You are always shouting consultant and residency as if every dentist will gain residency placement. What happens if you don't get placement for as long as 8years which is usually the case or not at all. What will a general dentist feed on. U speak as if there are no general dentists out there. U r touting procedures, how many procedures can a general dentist perform? You yourself know that dentistry is not lucrative yet you are yapping. How is the average non-consultant dentist in Nigeria faring. It is funny that when you try to compare dentistry with something like physiotherapy, you start asserting that dentistry is more lucrative. but when it becomes compared with medicine you guys start asking whether a profession should be all about money.
What u can't come here to do is to turn facts on its head by adducing points not in contention.
The question in view remains whether dentistry is lucrative, not whether they perform surgery. You know that in Nigeria it is not.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 10:29am On Jan 29, 2018
Mandeyy:
See d link of dr s.m. Balaji performing tongue cancer (oral squamous carcinoma of d tongue) surgery with radical neck dissection. D link is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPv6cAiaky0&itct=CAgQpDAYCCITCIDPoMus-tgCFU22VQod0aUNBTIHcmVsYXRIZEiW6ojex5nE42w%3D&hl=en-GB&gl=NG&client=mv-google

I don't understand why you are giving me a link to go and watch oral surgery if I can see it being performed regularly here. So after your graduation you start making money performing oral cancer surgeries left right and Centre. U r funny. In NARHY Yaba, even in bonny camp, dentistry is the least patronized department. Sometimes they close by 2p.m since there are no patients. I wonder if you understand the point here. From ur points, all ur prestige is tied to the fact that dentistry is under the same Council as medicine in some countries. American dentists earn almost the highest income of all dentists yet they are in a different association. They are strong enough to be a major force in American private sector. So don't give me thrash. In Nigeria dentistry is not lucrative. But the health care politics is keeping them afloat. If it's a lie run ur residency as a dentist supra, then come here and talk again let me see if hunger will not erase nobility from your head.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by femianski: 11:06am On Jan 29, 2018
both optometry and dentistry are great courses
dentistry itself is medicine it's just that they specialize and it's professionals have an higher ranking than optometrists
but to be sincere no offense optometry is more lucrative than dentistry
how many ppl see the dentist
by chance I have entered the dentistry department and eye clinic in government hospitals
Wat I have noticed is that there is always crowd in the eye clinic and sometimes as someone with an eye defect have to wait for about two and a half hours to have an eye refraction because of the long queue but the day I entered a dental clinic in the same hospital I spent about 30 mins
even the medical laboratory has a lot of patients in fact more than eye clinics
I respect the dentists more than optometrists but I see optometry as a more lucrative profession
NB: I am neither an optometrist nor dentist
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jan 29, 2018
[quote author=originbm post=64605644]
In NARHY Yaba, even in bonny camp, dentistry is the least patronized department. Sometimes they close by 2p.m since there are no patients. I wonder if you understand the point here. From ur points, all ur prestige is tied to the fact that dentistry is under the same Council as medicine in some countries. In Nigeria dentistry is not lucrative. But the health care politics is keeping them afloat. If it's a lie run ur residency as a dentist supra, then come here and talk again let me see if hunger will not erase nobility from your head[quote]

Guy, u're funny. Dentistry is very costly. In govt hospitals, dental treatments are being subsidized so that people can afford it. Besides, a dept can close earlier and still make d highest cash than d one which stays up to 4 p.m. Besides, it's a lie. On nairaland, i've realized that u're lying. Dentists have tried to help pple here, and a large number of them were in dire need of dental treatment that they couldn't wait.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jan 29, 2018
[But the health care politics is keeping them afloat. If it's a lie run ur residency as a dentist supra, then come here and talk again let me see if hunger will not erase nobility from your head.]

A dentist in Nigeria doesn't even need to look for a residency slot, cos the number of residency slot now far outweighs the number of dentists graduated every year. Even as a fresh dental graduate, without residency, he/she can be employed as a dental officer where he/she will rise up d ladder of civil service without any further training. Any dentist not in residency training either has not passed his/her primary or is not prepared to sit for primary. To the best of my knowledge, no dentist in Nigeria is unemployed, cos there're more slots for d few dental graduates. But i've seen so many jobless optometrists in need of govt job without even getting any. If optometry is that lucrative, why are its graduates so much in dire need of govt jobs? But a dentist always gets a job in private clinics in Nigeria.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 6:31pm On Jan 29, 2018
[quote author=Mandeyy post=64617486][/quote]

You are just funny. Even ur colleagues boast that they work less than medicine and yet get paid more. they are never on call, nothing. This advantage in the public health sector is ur albatross in the private sector. In the private sector where input = output, u guys fail to measure up. We are insiders in this game. We can differentiate between spirits and ordinary masquerade. Dentistry is not the only profession whose service is subsidized by the federal government. Every service in a public hospital is under subsidy. That has nothing to do with the lucre of a profession. Dentistry is not lucrative. The environment is your friend. Look around my guy.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jan 29, 2018
[quote author=originbm post=64604951]
Our question is whether dentistry is lucrative in Nigeria. You are always shouting consultant and residency as if every dentist will gain residency placement. What happens if you don't get placement for as long as 8years which is usually the case or not at all. What will a general dentist feed on. U speak as if there are no general dentists out there. U r touting procedures, how many procedures can a general dentist perform?]

I've never seen a jobless general dentist in Nigeria. D job slots in govt and private hospitals outweigh d number of dental graduates churned out every year. Any dentist not in residency has not passed his primary. Let d truth be told: it's medical doctors that don't always get residency placements in Nig cos more medical graduates produced far outweigh d slots. Several medical doctors have complained of this recently. That does not mean i'm bashing medicine. A general dentist does a lot.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jan 29, 2018
originbm:

You are just funny. Even ur colleagues boast that they work less than medicine and yet get paid more. they are never on call, nothing. This advantage in the public health sector is ur albatross in the private sector. In the private sector where input = output, u guys fail to measure up. We are insiders in this game. We can differentiate between spirits and ordinary masquerade. Dentistry is not the only profession whose service is subsidized by the federal government. Every service in a public hospital is under subsidy. That has nothing to do with the lucre of a profession. Dentistry is not lucrative. The environment is your friend. Look around my guy.
Working less doesn't mean he's not working smart and contributing his best. Every subspecialty in Dentistry is relevant. Just see d lie "they are never on call". U forget that there are dental emergencies too, and there are dental wards too where dental and general nurses work. Then in the Accident and Emergency ward, a maxillofacial surgeon or a resident in maxillofacial surgery will be on call for facial trauma. Then, as a resident in oral medicine, you'll rotate through internal medicine and other relevant medical specialties during which time he/she may be on call. What of a dental resident in oral and maxillofacial surgery who will rotate through otorhinolargology, opthalmology, plastic surgery, neurosurgery and internal medicine during which he may be on call in those depts? What of a resident in oral pathology who will rotate through general pathology and internal medicine during which time he may be on call.

I still maintain that dentistry is lucrative in Nigeria. A nairalander once said here that he least expected that he would remove three teeth in Ilorin for N92,000, although two of them were impacted and a facial nerve passed through them, which if not properly done could lead to paralysis of facial muscles which it supplies. Apart from that, he paid N15,000 and N5,000 for X-ray and consultation respectively before the surgical extraction. He said that he visited about 15 private dental clinics in Ilorin and they were all busy. He therefore advised new dental graduates to partner in groups of two or three and set up dental clinics, that there's money in Dentistry in Nigeria. Also, I've lived in the core North. Dentistry is very lucrative in the North. Yet, surgical extraction is the least of dental procedures.

In Enugu and Onitsha, i've come across ameloblastoma patients with this huge tumor that covered almost their entire faces; some were growing into the mouth and into the airways. They had nobody to foot their bills, and if nothing is done by philanthropic Nigerians, they will die. Yet there are experts (oral and maxillofacial surgeons) here who can do it. Also in the villages, i've seen cases of this magnitude, coupled with cleft lip and palate, yet there're experts who can do it. Gold crowns are very expensive to wear but there are many Nigerians who wear it.

Toothache nowadays could be life threatening when left untreated, and it can progress to dental abscess which can spread to the brain or to the mediastinum and other vital organs and kill the person. These cases are normally seen in Nigeria, when a person leaves his/her toothache unattended to. Before u know it, it will spread to the tooth root, and then progress to cellulitis whereby the person's face will be swollen cos the microbial agent(s) causing the abscess, is/are spreading very fast.

Also note that it's not only Nigeria that does dental residency. It's the practice all over the world. Do u want to tell me u're wiser than they do? Pls be reasonable. I'm done with u.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jan 29, 2018

1 Like

Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 11:05pm On Jan 29, 2018
Mandeyy:
Working less doesn't mean he's not working smart and contributing his best. Every subspecialty in Dentistry is relevant. Just see d lie "they are never on call". U forget that there are dental emergencies too, and there are dental wards too where dental and general nurses work. Then in the Accident and Emergency ward, a maxillofacial surgeon or a resident in maxillofacial surgery will be on call for facial trauma. Then, as a resident in oral medicine, you'll rotate through internal medicine and other relevant medical specialties during which time he/she may be on call. What of a dental resident in oral and maxillofacial surgery who will rotate through otorhinolargology, opthalmology, plastic surgery, neurosurgery and internal medicine during which he may be on call in those depts? What of a resident in oral pathology who will rotate through general pathology and internal medicine during which time he may be on call.

I still maintain that dentistry is lucrative in Nigeria. A nairalander once said here that he least expected that he would remove three teeth in Ilorin for N92,000, although two of them were impacted and a facial nerve passed through them, which if not properly done could lead to paralysis of facial muscles which it supplies. Apart from that, he paid N15,000 and N5,000 for X-ray and consultation respectively before the surgical extraction. He said that he visited about 15 private dental clinics in Ilorin and they were all busy. He therefore advised new dental graduates to partner in groups of two or three and set up dental clinics, that there's money in Dentistry in Nigeria. Also, I've lived in the core North. Dentistry is very lucrative in the North. Yet, surgical extraction is the least of dental procedures.

In Enugu and Onitsha, i've come across ameloblastoma patients with this huge tumor that covered almost their entire faces; some were growing into the mouth and into the airways. They had nobody to foot their bills, and if nothing is done by philanthropic Nigerians, they will die. Yet there are experts (oral and maxillofacial surgeons) here who can do it. Also in the villages, i've seen cases of this magnitude, coupled with cleft lip and palate, yet there're experts who can do it. Gold crowns are very expensive to wear but there are many Nigerians who wear it.

Toothache nowadays could be life threatening when left untreated, and it can progress to dental abscess which can spread to the brain or to the mediastinum and other vital organs and kill the person. These cases are normally seen in Nigeria, when a person leaves his/her toothache unattended to. Before u know it, it will spread to the tooth root, and then progress to cellulitis whereby the person's face will be swollen cos the microbial agent(s) causing the abscess, is/are spreading very fast.

Also note that it's not only Nigeria that does dental residency. It's the practice all over the world. Do u want to tell me u're wiser than they do? Pls be reasonable. I'm done with u.

Y don't you call your colleagues there and ask them whether they hv ever been on call in military hospital here. I am telling you what is open knowledge here. Their call duty is a political endowment. Again u mentioned sinusitis, and orbital cellulitis which may be legitimate sequel of untreated dental infection. It is not a unique feature of dentistry. An endophthalmitis can lead to orbital cellulitis and an uncorrected anisometropia can result in amblyopia ex an anopsia. A thing as simple as avitaminosis can lead to corneal ulceration, perforation or orbital decompression and enophthalmos. A simple iatrogenic wound could develop into a panophthalmitis and cellulitis. You yourself know that lucrativeness is a fxn of patient flow not disease severity. A disease may require 13hrs surgical input but if it doesn't come regularly, the specialty will only depend on govt subvention. It doesn't mean the specialty isn't important, it's just market dynamics.
Ameloblastomas, oral cancers, facial dystopias etc may be jewels in dentistry but they are occult specialties. They can't make dentistry lucrative.
Your guy who visited 15 busy dental clinics in Ilorin is a rarity. He has surpassed my imagination and created a new record.
Who is quarreling with ur residency. I asked if you could do it supra and make money through other means during the residency. You simply can't because dentistry is not a money spinner.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 11:51pm On Jan 29, 2018
[quote author=Mandeyy post=64618401][/quote]

Are you serious. Don't say what you don't know oga. I have a friend who could not get a placement even with a letter of introduction from two senators. Stop saying what u don't know . Many dentists have passed their primaries with letters of recommendation, enough to fill one echolac box, yet no placement. What is primaries. Why did college increase the expiry date for primaries not long ago. Placement is worse for dentistry. Medicine has much more areas of specialization. And medical gp is a money spinner in its own right.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 12:01am On Jan 30, 2018
[originbm pos64625031] Guy, i'm not here to bandy words with u. I've made myself clear to u. D last time i checked, i've never seen an optometrist collaborate with an ophthalmologist. He just tells an optometrist what to do. D link above i posted to richolm was on spindle cell hemangioma below d right eye of a girl. It was a team of a maxillofacial surgeon, an ophthalmologist and an oral pathologist (also a dentist) who worked on d girl at LUTH. In fact, the oral pathologist did d diagnosis while d ophthalmologist & maxillofacial surgeon (a dentist) did d operation. An optometrist doesn't have d expertise. It's branches of dentistry & medicine that did d wonder. D link is in richolm's page above. I didn't name it. Just go through it. I though an optometrist works on d eyes, yet he was not even invited to contribute to d diagnosis. U like to lie. Many optometrists are looking 4 govt jobs. Why can't ur private clinics employ all of them? U've won. I'm done with u. Enough of blind argument, pls.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 12:17am On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

Are you serious. Don't say what you don't know oga. I have a friend who could not get a placement even with a letter of introduction from two senators. Stop saying what u don't know . Many dentists have passed their primaries with letters of recommendation, enough to fill one echolac box, yet no placement. What is primaries. Why did college increase the expiry date for primaries not long ago. Placement is worse for dentistry. Medicine has much more areas of specialization. And medical gp is a money spinner in its own right.
U must be d greatest liar on earth next to d APC! u think i don't know u're lying. We have over 40 hospitals accredited for dental residency in Nigeria, and they advertise every year. Enough of stupid lies! I'm done with u. Besides, few dentists are produced every year. Look for anoda lie. U don't need to lie to prove a point. Does even a dentist need a senator to secure residency placement? U're being childish. Envy is ur problem.

1 Like

Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 12:27am On Jan 30, 2018
@ Originbm, no resident doctor works in anoda hospital while doing residency. U're totally ignorant of d system, yet u claim u know something about it. D resident (be it a dentist or a medical doctor) doesn't work in anoda hospital while doing residency. Besides, they can take care of themselves with their salaries. Also, d resident doctor must live in that hospital. Haba! This will be d last i'll reply to ur comments cos i hate lies and blind arguments.

1 Like

Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by homesteady(m): 3:17am On Jan 30, 2018
Lmaooooo! So this original deluded clown is still grasping at straws, by repeating the same gibberish all over.

Are you seriously still on the issue of job placement for Dental Doctors? Are you this unfortunate? Didn't I give you a proper statistics of the ratio of Dental graduates to Dental clinics? Or are you arguing with statistics? I know illogical reasoning is your Forte, but C'mon....

I don't have much time to say much, but let me just say this. Have you ever seen anyone that had a neurosurgical operation? I won't be surprised if you haven't seen, even if you have seen, at most 3. Using your analogy, Neurosurgeons are paupers.

3 Likes

Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 8:57am On Jan 30, 2018
Mandeyy:
@ Originbm, no resident doctor works in anoda hospital while doing residency. U're totally ignorant of d system, yet u claim u know something about it. D resident (be it a dentist or a medical doctor) doesn't work in anoda hospital while doing residency. Besides, they can take care of themselves with their salaries. Also, d resident doctor must live in that hospital. Haba! This will be d last i'll reply to ur comments cos i hate lies and blind arguments.

Oga are u stupid or can't you read. I have been handling you with kid gloves. What do u know about the health care. Do u know the meaning of doing ur residency supra. It means u r not paid by the government. Some companies sponsor some medical doctors' residency. Stop portraying your ignorance here. A doctor in a lucrative specialty can run pp while in residency. Or you don't know that some medical doctors run their residency without any payment from federal government. Don't quote me if u don't understand my point. My point is Dat dentistry is too poor that a dentist cannot run a supra because their is no way of making money outside their salary. Oga understand before typing. You are telling me thrash, don't u know that residents run locum... What are u even talking about?
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 9:15am On Jan 30, 2018
Mandeyy:
U must be d greatest liar on earth next to d APC! u think i don't know u're lying. We have over 40 hospitals accredited for dental residency in Nigeria, and they advertise every year. Enough of stupid lies! I'm done with u. Besides, few dentists are produced every year. Look for anoda lie. U don't need to lie to prove a point. Does even a dentist need a senator to secure residency placement? U're being childish. Envy is ur problem.

U r a nincompoop. Wait, u r trying to say u don't need connection to get residency placement in dentistry. U r not a liar, u r just a gigantic fool. Now I know that u r uber-stupid and delusional. So once u pass ur primaries in dentistry, u automatically have a placement. U r in for a big ride. Whoever is feeding u dis thrash is d devil himself. U guys that take most times a maximum of, 2 residents in a specialty. How many specialties do u hv. My friend go and sit down. Who do u think you are talking to. In few yrs time this ur nonsense reasoning will clear from ur eyes. I know dentists that hv been frustrated by failure to get residency placement even after passing their primaries. U think residency is house job? I hv one who has the phone number of over 15 hmb chairmen. Yet nothing. You r coming here to launder ur image with lies. U r in for a rude shock if u really believe this ur nonsense. Dentists that pre-residency are the most frustrated group of health care professionals. Most of them later go for masters in anatomy and physiology and become lecturers. Don't say nonsense here o. There is a limit to the gullibility of people.
For Christ sake what is their to envy in dentistry. You guys don't measure up to optometry in revenue. What is it a about dentistry to be envied. How much are u paid in residency. How much does a junior resident receive 200- 250k? What an optometrist can make in a week Outreach or from few verilux prescriptions. What is dentistry's advantage that u talk of envy. Dentistry is not even competitive, so where is ur envy coming from. U r d envious ones who likes relegating other professions on social media telling spurious falsehood to small children who do not understand the real thing. Jump up and down, dentistry is not lucrative.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 10:09am On Jan 30, 2018
homesteady:
Lmaooooo! So this original deluded clown is still grasping at straws, by repeating the same gibberish all over.

Are you seriously still on the issue of job placement for Dental Doctors? Are you this unfortunate? Didn't I give you a proper statistics of the ratio of Dental graduates to Dental clinics? Or are you arguing with statistics? I know illogical reasoning is your Forte, but C'mon....

I don't have much time to say much, but let me just say this. Have you ever seen anyone that had a neurosurgical operation? I won't be surprised if you haven't seen, even if you have seen, at most 3. Using your analogy, Neurosurgeons are paupers.

You moronic slowpoke so u r now comparing neurology with dentistry. Are you sure you are OK. Just last month a lady with persistent headache was sent for CT scan only to discover she had a cerebral Adenoma. We have referred nothing less than 10 cases of pseudo tumor Celebri to neurologists. Higher Centre related photopsic episodes are routinely referred and these are common. What of seizures, epilepsy and other related neurological disturbances which are extremely common, neurosyphilis etc. Ophthalmology and optometry clinics do most of their referrals to neuros. What of hydrocephalus and other pediatric cases like congenital and developmental neurological syndromes which are very common. Extremely common diseases like diabetes and hypertension have neuropathic presentations. Cerebrovascular accidents are common. Other specialties also refer to them. Endocrinology, pediatric, rheumatologist etc. Neurology is the specialty of specialties. So don't speak nonsense here. It shows you are ignorant if you don't know that neurological problems are very common, and represent the specialty most associated with other specialties as many diseases at one stage or the other will assume a neurological presentation. It is an insult to compare dentistry to neurology in lucrativeness. The eye clinic has never referred anyone to a dentist. Neurology has an awesome patient load base. So please get over yourself.
When we take case history we usually ask for last dental examination date. Most patient's response is never. I wonder where your money will come from since pxs rarely visit dental clinic. I am sure u are arguing from the safety of the fact that u r still a student. U will soon face the real world.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 10:47am On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

Oga are u stupid or can't you read. I have been handling you with kid gloves. What do u know about the health care. Do u know the meaning of doing ur residency supra. It means u r not paid by the government. Some companies sponsor some medical doctors' residency. Stop portraying your ignorance here. A doctor in a lucrative specialty can run pp while in residency. Or you don't know that some medical doctors run their residency without any payment from federal government. Don't quote me if u don't understand my point. My point is Dat dentistry is too poor that a dentist cannot run a supra because their is no way of making money outside their salary. Oga understand before typing. You are telling me thrash, don't u know that residents run locum... What are u even talking about?
Dentists are even few that one of them will be a supernumerary resident. Supra and supernumerary are not related. Continue with ur stupid jargon. Meanwhile, no medical doctor or dentist who is a supernumerary resident will be allowed to do any work during the working days. Besides, before one becomes a supernumerary resident u must bring a financial evidence that u're financially Ok that it will not disrupt ur residency. Let me tell u: no resident ever has time to do other work except may be after work or on weekends (which is rare). Besides, If there were to be a dental supernumerary resident (although there is none 'cos they are few), a dentist can still do locum jobs in private dental clinics. Even medical doctors that do locum jobs are not supernumerary residents. They are mainly medical officers and the ones that finished NYSC newly, hence they're looking for jobs.

In our colleges of medicine, it's mostly medical doctors that run a master's degree programme and thereafter become lecturers there. Dental lecturers in basic medical science are few cos dentists are few in Nigeria.

I still maintain that no dentist requires a senator's letter to become a resident. It's mostly medical doctors that don't get residency placements now because the slots are few while there are many medical graduates churned out every year. Some still stay up to 3-4 years after primaries to get residency placements. I know cos they (medical doctors) complain about it online. That's why there's a brain drain in Nigeria cos medical doctors are leaving the shores of Nigeria to climes favourable to them. So, residency training is nothing to write home about in Nigeria generally (it's not peculiar to dentistry), but then my point is that dentists are few for the available residency slots for them. However, a time is coming when it'll be saturated just like in medicine, and by then u'll begin to see few slots for many dental graduates. But at the same time, i still doubt such a time will come in the near future cos more hospitals not accredited for dental residency are being accredited for dental residency in Nigeria.

Learn to be cultured in ur analysis. Truth is desirable while falsehood is evil and unsightly.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by homesteady(m): 11:05am On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

You moronic slowpoke so u r now comparing neurology with dentistry. Are you sure you are OK. Just last month a lady with persistent headache was sent for CT scan only to discover she had a cerebral Adenoma. We have referred nothing less than 10 cases of pseudo tumor Celebri to neurologists. Higher Centre related photopsic episodes are routinely referred and these are common. What of seizures, epilepsy and other related neurological disturbances which are extremely common, neurosyphilis etc. Ophthalmology and optometry clinics do most of their referrals to neuros. What of hydrocephalus and other pediatric cases like congenital and developmental neurological syndromes which are very common. Extremely common diseases like diabetes and hypertension have neuropathic presentations. Cerebrovascular accidents are common. Other specialties also refer to them. Endocrinology, pediatric, rheumatologist etc. Neurology is the specialty of specialties. So don't speak nonsense here. It shows you are ignorant if you don't know that neurological problems are very common, and represent the specialty most associated with other specialties as many diseases at one stage or the other will assume a neurological presentation. It is an insult to compare dentistry to neurology in lucrativeness. The eye clinic has never referred anyone to a dentist. Neurology has an awesome patient load base. So please get over yourself.
When we take case history we usually ask for last dental examination date. Most patient's response is never. I wonder where your money will come from since pxs rarely visit dental clinic. I am sure u are arguing from the safety of the fact that u r still a student. U will soon face the real world.

Lmaooooo! Isn't it quite stupiid and funny how you have normalized some conditions like Hydrocephalus and other congenital abnormalities and yet you claim that Ameloblastomas and other dental related surgeries are uncommon?
Road accidents happens on a daily basis in Nigeria, and a great percentage of those affected always have some maxillofacial problems which are corrected by Dentists.

You were to dumb to catch my drift. Let me just clearly spell it out to you - Are there more neurological patients than "Optometrist" patients?
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by homesteady(m): 11:12am On Jan 30, 2018
Originbm, can you please answer this question?
Are you through with your optometry program? If yes, how long did it take you to get internship space?
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 11:19am On Jan 30, 2018
homesteady:

Lmaooooo! Isn't it quite stupiid and funny how you have normalized some conditions like Hydrocephalus and other congenital abnormalities and yet you claim that Ameloblastomas and other dental related surgeries are uncommon?
Road accidents happens on a daily basis in Nigeria, and a great percentage of those affected always have some maxillofacial problems which are corrected by Dentists.

You were to dumb to catch my drift. Let me just clearly spell it out to you - Are there more neurological patients than "Optometrist" patients?

Boy u r a dunce. How many people refer to u guys. My friend shut up. U r shouting ameloblastomas, how many are they. Most Specialties refer to neurologists. My friend u r a dreamer. U can't in ur right mind compare optometry px inflow with that of dentistry. Who visits a dentist. Who refers to you get guys. Most referral from endocrinologists is to neurologists. My friend go and find work if u hv nothing to say. We are talking about px inflow and u r calling dentistry
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by homesteady(m): 11:37am On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

Boy u r a dunce. How many people refer to u guys. My friend shut up. U r shouting ameloblastomas, how many are they. Most Specialties refer to neurologists. My friend u r a dreamer. U can't in ur right mind compare optometry px inflow with that of dentistry. Who visits a dentist. Who refers to you get guys. Most referral from endocrinologists is to neurologists. My friend go and find work if u hv nothing to say. We are talking about px inflow and u r calling dentistry

Look, this is 2018, you shouldn't crossover this your Agbero-styled argument pattern into this year. Debate logically with facts and you wouldn't have to be screaming at the top of your voice.

How would you classify Hydrocephalus as a common disease and classify Ameloblastoma as a rare case? Are you freaking kidding me? I haven't even seen anyone with hydrocephalus, except on TV, but I have seen many cases of Ameloblastoma which is quite common in the North. What of Cleft Palate and lip? This are not even among the most frequent cases Maxillofacial surgeons treat.

I guess you have realised your folly, that's why you refused to answer my question on who gets to see more patients between Optometrists and Neurosurgeons.

Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by homesteady(m): 11:41am On Jan 30, 2018
homesteady:
Originbm, can you please answer this question?
Are you through with your optometry program? If yes, how long did it take you to get internship space?

Originbm Did you miss this question?
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 11:52am On Jan 30, 2018
Mandeyy:
Dentists are even few that one of them will be a supernumerary resident. Supra and supernumerary are not related. Continue with ur stupid jargon. Meanwhile, no medical doctor or dentist who is a supernumerary resident will be allowed to do any work during the working days. Besides, before one becomes a supernumerary resident u must bring a financial evidence that u're financially Ok that it will not disrupt ur residency. Let me tell u: no resident ever has time to do other work except may be after work or on weekends (which is rare). Besides, If there were to be a dental supernumerary resident (although there is none 'cos they are few), a dentist can still do locum jobs in private dental clinics. Even medical doctors that do locum jobs are not supernumerary residents. They are mainly medical officers and the ones that finished NYSC newly, hence they're looking for jobs.

In our colleges of medicine, it's mostly medical doctors that run a master's degree programme and thereafter become lecturers there. Dental lecturers in basic medical science are few cos dentists are few in Nigeria.

I still maintain that no dentist requires a senator's letter to become a resident. It's mostly medical doctors that don't get residency placements now because the slots are few while there are many medical graduates churned out every year. Some still stay up to 3-4 years after primaries to get residency placements. I know cos they (medical doctors) complain about it online. That's why there's a brain drain in Nigeria cos medical doctors are leaving the shores of Nigeria to climes favourable to them. So, residency training is nothing to write home about in Nigeria generally (it's not peculiar to dentistry), but then my point is that dentists are few for the available residency slots for them. However, a time is coming when it'll be saturated just like in medicine, and by then u'll begin to see few slots for many dental graduates. But at the same time, i still doubt such a time will come in the near future cos more hospitals not accredited for dental residency are being accredited for dental residency in Nigeria.

Learn to be cultured in ur analysis. Truth is desirable while falsehood is evil and unsightly.

My friend supra is a colloquial term for supernumerary. Don't tell me nonsense. Don't give me stupid childish corrections again. You are stupendous liar. Of course I know that u not only falsify facts, u choose the truth which favors u most. Dentistry that takes just two resident per specialty. How many specialties do u hv.
This befuddled fellow, weekend locum sustains many doctors. If u were to go supra in Benin where would u cover. Omo go and relax. Supernumerary means that you must show evidence of ability to pay available fees. Must your sponsor feed you? Getting financial statement is nothing. Anybody can give you his. It's like what you do when you are traveling abroad. It's just like getting a guarantor. U can get statement through any means. So don't tell me nonsense. Some just get statement of account purporting to sponsor. The prospective resident tender it as evidence of financial competent but sponsors himself. A dentist will never try that. Where will he cover. Which clinics. Which patient load.
You are the deluded liar. Telling shameless lies and arguing what you know nothing about.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 12:02pm On Jan 30, 2018
homesteady:

Facts aboutHydrocephalus|Hydrocephalusstatistics ...

http://nhfonline.org/facts-about-hydrocephalus.htm

Before pasting nonsense, check out the statistics on hydrocephalus. I don't get my info from Twitter, I get it from professional websites
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 12:22pm On Jan 30, 2018
homesteady:

I am not about to give u personal info about myself. U should know that. I hv a career path u can only dream of. So don't get personal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

"Will You Go Back To Primary 6 For 50billion Naira?": See Funny Comments / The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University / Jamb Introduces New Rules For All Jambites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.