Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,984 members, 7,825,065 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? (42343 Views)

Optometry, Dentistry And Pharmancy What Is The Duration Of Study / Pharmacy Or Physiotherapy / Which University Can I Study Physiotherapy In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 3:01pm On Jan 30, 2018
homesteady:

If you see the way most of this optometry graduates run away from working under private clinics, you'd think that they placed a curse on private clinic jobs grin

Of course. Why will I work in private as an intern. The workload na die plus they won't pay an intern as well as federal government. It's not because there is no money, it's a private sector things:maximize profit. An intern can make what the govt pays interns in a week. The average pay for a post nysc optometry doc in private is 120k. In three months it's increased. Plus ur Outreach programmes. And most don't stay in one employment for long. Opportunities are always there for u. U can refuse to work in one place and yet net up to 200k minimum a month. Ask optometry corpers hw e dey be.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jan 30, 2018
homesteady:

Why are you reasoning like an Education in gender studies student? Do you know anything about epidemiology? Don't you know diseases have different spread? I am giving you Statistics for Nigeria and you are countering it with statistics for US. You can as well say Malaria is common in US because it is very common in Nigeria.
If u bring up d dental cases of d USA to explain d dental disease burden in Nigeria, he'll call u a liar, but at d same time he was playing smart by bringing up hydrocephalus case statistics of America to explain its disease burden in Nigeria. What a hypocrisy!
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by homesteady(m): 3:13pm On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

Don't even talk of neuro surgery. Their procedures come regularly. Optometrists and ophthalmologists make referrals majorly to neuros. If obgyn, endocrinology, pediatricz, rheumatologist, cardios are all referring to them, can u imagine hw lucrative it is? Neuro surgery in private practice is also massive. For e.g cerebral adenomas are common. Brain surgeries to contain seizures, epileptic fits, are common. Cerebral hemorrhage, cortical blindness... Most subspecialty have convergence with neuros. And they r extremely few. Neurosurgeons earn a lot. Their procedures are lucrative and patient base is large.
Mr Man, can't you just be straightforward? Reply me based on what I said and not what you feel like saying!
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 3:14pm On Jan 30, 2018
Mandeyy:
I'm every surprised u don't know d difference b/w neurosurgery and neurology. Separation of siamese twins is d work of a neurosurgeon, and most of these cases (hydrocephalus, siamese twin's separation, etc) are rare compared to dental diseases.

Y are u always correcting inconsequential things. I purposely lumped them together because that's not the point am making. Neurology is a medical subspecialty, neurosurgery is a surgical specialty. Just like a cardiologist and a cardiac surgeon, or an ophthalmologist and an ophthalmic surgeon. For e.g, to qualify as an ophthalmologist u need a fwcopth, but to qualify as an ophthalmic surgeon, u need an fwcs. I dunno y u keep giving childish corrections. Do I look like ur junior colleague in dentistry? Na wao
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 3:19pm On Jan 30, 2018
homesteady:

Mr Man, can't you just be straightforward? Reply me based on what I said and not what you feel like saying!

So u now have a remote in your pocket with which to alter my thoughts to fit your purpose. Is my answer not comprehensive enough. Look at it again, the answer you want is there. U dey find transition point abi.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by homesteady(m): 3:20pm On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

You are poor so any amount you ask from your parents is poverty-motivated. As for nyash and boobs I know say Dat one na ur specialty. Unfortunately u never get money to fit do anything. Face ur book o. This one u r telling me about sending money, I hope say u no dey codedly ask me to send u money... No try am o.

I don't get, poverty-motivated? WTF is that? So if DJ Cuppy ask her father for money, it is poverty motivated?

I have my books to read, I don't stalk students. Do you also have their pictures you self-service to at night? Stalkers do this a lot.

Are you scared of sending me money? Was it not you that claimed you are richer than all my generations? If you are not sending me money, then keep your fantasized riches to yourself.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

http://www.njcponline.com/article.asp?issn=1119-3077;year=2015;volume=18;issue=3;spage=318;epage=322;aulast=Ojo

Read this. U r giving me a spurious write up. U guys are doing cleft palate up and down, yet no one patronized ur practice.
Who told u that lie. Cleft lip and palate surgery is sponsored by an NGO called smile train from America, cos d people mostly suffering from it are poor and cannot affort it. Smile Train works through our oral & maxillofacial surgeons, plastic surgeons and orthodontists in Nigeria. There're two other NGOs set up by our own Drs Seidu Bello and Ngutor (oral & maxillofacial surgeons) who render free surgeries sponsored by philantropic Nigerians. It's a major surgery that cannot be done in a private dental clinic in Nigeria.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 3:20pm On Jan 30, 2018
Mandeyy:
If u bring up d dental cases of d USA to explain d dental disease burden in Nigeria, he'll call u a liar, but at d same time he was playing smart by bringing up hydrocephalus case statistics of America to explain its disease burden in Nigeria. What a hypocrisy!

He made the point, I sent another study. Look it up before shouting hypocrisy.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by homesteady(m): 3:22pm On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

So u now have a remote in your pocket with which to alter my thoughts to fit your purpose. Is my answer not comprehensive enough. Look at it again, the answer you want is there. U dey find transition point abi.

You have been so specific concerning Optometry and Dentistry and Neurology and Dentistry. So I want you to be more specific between Neurology and Optometry, which is more lucrative.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 3:24pm On Jan 30, 2018
Mandeyy:
Who told u that lie. Cleft lip and palate surgery is sponsored by an NGO called smile train from America, cos d people mostly suffering from it are poor and cannot affort it. Smile Train works through our oral & maxillofacial surgeons, plastic surgeons and orthodontists in Nigeria. There're two other NGOs set up by our own Drs Seidu Bello and Ngutor (oral & maxillofacial surgeons) who render free surgeries sponsored by philantropic Nigerians. It's a major surgery that cannot be done in a private dental clinic in Nigeria.

If u like jump out of ur screen, if you can't make money from your profession don't disturb people. The fact is that ur defense is centered only around surgery in your field as being lucrative. Then I look around and see no sign of the inflow. Yet u r yapping. I ask again, where are the flourishing dental clinics.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 3:27pm On Jan 30, 2018
homesteady:

You have been so specific concerning Optometry and Dentistry and Neurology and Dentistry. So I want you to be more specific between Neurology and Optometry, which is more lucrative.

Oga I hv given u my answer. Both are lucrative. Both are more lucrative than dentistry.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

http://www.njcponline.com/article.asp?issn=1119-3077;year=2015;volume=18;issue=3;spage=318;epage=322;aulast=Ojo

Read this. U r giving me a spurious write up. U guys are doing cleft palate up and down, yet no one patronized ur practice.
All we're saying is that hydrocephalus cases are rare compared to ameloblastoma in Nigeria. Google also d cleft lip and palate and ameloblastoma surgeries done by oral & maxillofacial surgeons in Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) from where u picked d hydrocephalus case. I know Profs Mobolanle Ogunlewe. Godwin Arotiba, Wasiu Lanre Adeyeemo (all oral & maxillofacial surgeons) have done countless cases of ameloblastoma, cleft lip and palate surgeries at LUTH.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

http://www.panafrican-med-journal.com/content/article/2/5/full/

Here the epidemiology of cleft palate was pegged at 0.3/1000 patients.

https://guardian.ng/features/hydrocephalus-ailment-in-children-deadly-but-curable/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C5078104104

Here the epidemiology of hydrocephalus is 1.2/1000 and probably even higher in Africa.
Please this academic albino, tell me about prevalence again.
U don't read at all. That's why i said earlier that u hate facts. According to that report u put here, d writer said that d prevalence of hydrocephalus in "developed countries" is 1.2/1,000 unlike in Africa. So, u don't know d meaning of a developed country. D writer further stated that its prevalence is uncertain here. Nawa for ur lie o!
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 3:42pm On Jan 30, 2018
Mandeyy:
All we're saying is that hydrocephalus cases are rare compared to ameloblastoma in Nigeria. Google also d cleft lip and palate and ameloblastoma surgeries done by oral & maxillofacial surgeons in Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) from where u picked d hydrocephalus case. I know Profs Mobolanle Ogunlewe. Godwin Arotiba, Wasiu Lanre Adeyeemo (all oral & maxillofacial surgeons) have done countless cases of ameloblastoma, cleft lip and palate surgeries at LUTH.

I left you to studies to compare. The comparison he was making was BTW cleft lip and palate and hydrocephalus. So I sent a study to the effect. I also made other points. But you conveniently ignored that.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 3:53pm On Jan 30, 2018
Mandeyy:
U don't read at all. That's why i said earlier that u hate facts. According to that report u put here, d writer said that d prevalence of hydrocephalus in "developed countries" is 1.2/1,000 unlike in Africa. So, u don't know d meaning of a developed country. D writer further stated that its prevalence is uncertain here. Nawa for ur lie o!

You hv started the insult again. If I respond in kind you will start sulking.
Please u r a scientist, or so I actually think. Go back and read that report again. It says the figures may even be higher in Africa. I guess u r d one who cannot read. What is more, you are typically calling me a liar for telling u a truth u don't want to hear. Even a documented truth. Funny you. Read the report and tell me who hates fact now.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

https://guardian.ng/features/hydrocephalus-ailment-in-children-deadly-but-curable/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C5078104104

Here the epidemiology of hydrocephalus is 1.2/1000 and probably even higher in Africa.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

Most researches on disease prevalence in Nigeria are hospital-based. Besides, adult cleft lip and palate sufferers feel shy to come out for community-based surveys where accurate prevalence and incidence rates are determined. Also, d writer wrote "even probably higher" cos he was not sure. Hence, in Africa, no accurate statistics exists regarding prevalence and incidence rates of diseases. It has always been guesswork by researchers in Africa.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

Y are u always correcting inconsequential things. I purposely lumped them together because that's not the point am making. Neurology is a medical subspecialty, neurosurgery is a surgical specialty. Just like a cardiologist and a cardiac surgeon, or an ophthalmologist and an ophthalmic surgeon. For e.g, to qualify as an ophthalmologist u need a fwcopth, but to qualify as an ophthalmic surgeon, u need an fwcs. I dunno y u keep giving childish corrections. Do I look like ur junior colleague in dentistry? Na wao
There's nothing like FWCOPTH. We have just FWACS, and it's for an ophthalmologist who is also an ophthalmic surgeon.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 4:21pm On Jan 30, 2018
Mandeyy:
Most researches on disease prevalence in Nigeria are hospital-based. Besides, adult cleft lip and palate sufferers feel shy to come out for community-based where accurate prevalence and incidence rates are determined. Also, d writer wrote "even probably higher" cos he was not sure. Hence, in Africa, no accurate statistics exists regarding prevalence and incidence rates of diseases. It has always been guesswork by researchers in Africa.

Oh. You need to read it again. The only bit uncertainty is that it might be higher in Africa, not lower. The statistic of 1.2/1000 was not an uncertain. The probability of deviation lies on the side of probable higher prevalence in Africa, not less. Read again.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

If u like jump out of ur screen, if you can't make money from your profession don't disturb people. The fact is that ur defense is centered only around surgery in your field as being lucrative. Then I look around and see no sign of the inflow. Yet u r yapping. I ask again, where are the flourishing dental clinics.
Are u in their pockets that u don't see the inflow? U must be blind if u've not noticed those big private dental centres in Nigeria. Ur points are out of point.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 4:33pm On Jan 30, 2018
Mandeyy:
There's nothing like FWCOPTH. We have just FWACS, and it's for an ophthalmologist who is also an ophthalmic surgeon.

Yeah my bad. I meant FRCOPTH different from FRSC. In Nigeria there is FMCoph different from FWACS. they are different colleges. For instance I can't be a retinal surgeon with just fmcoph, u must have a fics or FWACS. West Africa has no separate college for general ophthalmologists.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

Oh. You need to read it again. The only bit uncertainty is that it might be higher in Africa, not lower. The statistic of 1.2/1000 was not an uncertain. The probability of deviation lies on the side of probable higher prevalence in Africa, not less. Read again.
He was not sure; he was just guessing. I've carried out epidemiological surveys in my master's degree in medical microbiology, before going to study dentistry. It was from there that i realized that most of these surveys are not representative of d true prevalence & incidence cases of diseases in Nigeria. He was just guessing. As a researcher, u don't guess to arrive at a report. Where's d proof? He has got no evidence or verifiable data from a survey to prove d point.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 4:41pm On Jan 30, 2018
Mandeyy:
Are u in their pockets that u don't see the inflow? U must be blind if u've not noticed those big private dental centres in Nigeria. Ur points are out of point.

U r a blind bat if u fail to note that thriving dental clinics are very few in Nigeria. How many thriving dental clinics do u know Mr seer. All around is evidence that dentistry is not lucrative and u are asking me about their pocket. Can u cover the moon with your hand. The plight of dentistry is common knowledge.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 4:48pm On Jan 30, 2018
Mandeyy:
He was not sure; he was just guessing. I've carried out epidemiological surveys in my master's degree in medical microbiology, before going to study dentistry. It was from there that i realized that most of these surveys are not represented of d true prevalence & incidence cases of diseases in Nigeria. He was just guessing. As a researcher, u don't guess to arrive at a report. Where's d proof? He has got no evidence or verifiable data from a survey to prove d point.

Oga don't tell me that bullsh*t. His uncertainty was clearly stated. The sociological factors that gave birth to it was admitted. Even at that, the uncertainty is still on the side of increased prevalence for hydrocephalus.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

Yeah my bad. I meant FRCOPTH different from FRSC. In Nigeria there is FMCoph different from FWACS. they are different colleges. For instance I can't be a retinal surgeon with just fmcoph, u must have a fics or FWACS. West Africa has no separate college for general ophthalmologists.
It's FRSC; it's FRCS. A retinal surgeon just needs only one (in Nigeria, either FMCopth or FWACS). FICS is not important in Nig. FICS is mostly not awarded by exam. It's still d same in dentistry. U need either of d two (FMCDS or FWACS). FICS is also awarded to dentists but not really by election while FFDRCS, FDSRCS, FDSRCPS (fellow in dental surgery of the royal college of physicians & surgeons) are awarded to dentists by exam. However, a consultant may still want to have all at d same time, but it's just having one of them that qualifies a medical doctor or a dentist as a consultant.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 5:11pm On Jan 30, 2018
Mandeyy:
It's FRSC; it's FRCS. A retinal surgeon just needs only one (in Nigeria, either FMCopth or FWACS). FICS is not important in Nig. FICS is mostly not awarded by exam. It's still d same in dentistry. U need either of d two (FMCDS or FWACS). FICS is also awarded to dentists but not really by election while FFDRCS, FDSRCS, FDSRCPS (fellow in dental surgery of the royal college of physicians & surgeons) are awarded to dentists by exam. However, a consultant may still want to have all at d same time, but it's just having one of them that qualifies a medical doctor or a dentist as a consultant.
I am not going to start arguing. You need either fwcs or frcs to be a proper ophthalmic surgeon. Fmcoph makes u a general ophthalmologist who can perform some surgical procedures like cataract and pyerygium excision. You cannot operate a sphenoid dysplasia without a surgical specialization. West Africa combines it. But most ophthalmic surgeons first aquire fmcopth then go for FWACS.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 5:36pm On Jan 30, 2018
Mandeyy:

The fact is that you will hardly find a retinal surgeon with just fmcopth. true u need just one to be a consultant, but most have both. You can pick up any osn Magazine and flip through. But then the dichotomy may not be sharp in ophthalmology as in neuro where the neurosurgeons perform surgery and not the neurologist.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

The fact is that you will hardly find a retinal surgeon with just fmcopth. true u need just one to be a consultant, but most have both. You can pick up any osn Magazine and flip through. But then the dichotomy may not be sharp in ophthalmology as in neuro where the neurosurgeons perform surgery and not the neurologist.
Even neurosurgeons need either of d two in Nigeria (FMCS or FWACS).
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

I meant it's FRCS, not FRSC.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 7:00pm On Jan 30, 2018
Mandeyy:
Even neurosurgeons need either of d two in Nigeria (FMCS or FWACS).

Yeah but the point is that while neurologists manage medically, neurosurgeons manage with surgery. These are asides by the way.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 30, 2018
originbm:

Yeah but the point is that while neurologists manage medically, neurosurgeons manage with surgery. These are asides by the way.
Neurology needs either FMCP or FWACP or both.
Re: Optometry , Dentistry Or Physiotherapy? by originbm: 7:03am On Jan 31, 2018
Mandeyy:
Neurology needs either FMCP or FWACP or both.

Yes. College of physicians. So they don't manage surgically. Neurosurgeons do so.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Seeing This As The Parent, What Would You Do? / Which University Is The Most Beautiful In Nigeria? (photos) / SHELL Petroleum (SPDC) Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.