Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,244 members, 7,811,687 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

Titration - End Point Problems - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Titration - End Point Problems (3185 Views)

RSUST Cut Off Point For 2016/2017 Academic Section / At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? / How To Carry Out Titration Experiment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Titration - End Point Problems by sofdoc(m): 7:24am On Mar 09, 2015
Hi guys, I'm having a serious issue with reaching the end point in my titration. can't tell if it's the methyl orange dat turns dark orange in base (na2co3) supposed to b yellow and golden yellow after titration (with dilute HCl) supposed to be pink or the amount of base diluted or d concentration of the HCl. Z it normal 4 my solution to get foamy during titration den stop after a while?!

Pls guys... a prompt and accurate reply would b much appreciated.

Tank u.
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by Nobody: 7:43am On Mar 09, 2015
Dude, what exactly is your question?
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by sofdoc(m): 5:03pm On Mar 09, 2015
promsman12:
Dude, what exactly is your question?

Why is my methyl orange dark orange in base (na2co3) instead of yellow?!
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by Orezy5(m): 5:20pm On Mar 09, 2015
sofdoc:

Why is my methyl orange dark orange in base (na2co3) instead of yellow?!
maybe the person that prepared the indicator added 2 much methyl orange powder to water. A similar tin also happened 2 me sum times ago.
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by Dioxidane: 5:36pm On Mar 09, 2015
Orezy5:
maybe the person that prepared the indicator added 2 much methyl orange powder to water. A similar tin also happened 2 me sum times ago.

That's definitely what happened... Besides methyl orange is supposed to be ORANGE in colour and NOT yellow...
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by sofdoc(m): 5:45pm On Mar 09, 2015
Orezy5:
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by sofdoc(m): 5:47pm On Mar 09, 2015
Orezy5:

I tot so also...pls can u help me wif an idea of the quantity of methyl orange to dilute in water. Tanx.
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by sofdoc(m): 5:49pm On Mar 09, 2015
Dioxidane:

That's definitely what happened... Besides methyl orange is supposed to be ORANGE in colour and NOT yellow...

It is orange but supposed to be yellow in base. At least that's what I read.
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by Dioxidane: 5:54pm On Mar 09, 2015
sofdoc:

It is orange but supposed to be yellow in base. At least that's what I read.

Yeah, of course...
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by sofdoc(m): 5:57pm On Mar 09, 2015
Dioxidane:

Yeah, of course...

Any idea of the quantity of methyl orange to dilute?!
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by Dioxidane: 6:08pm On Mar 09, 2015
sofdoc:

Any idea of the quantity of methyl orange to dilute?!

You dissolve 5g of dry Methyl Orange in 100ml distilled water...
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by sofdoc(m): 6:21pm On Mar 09, 2015
Dioxidane:

You dissolve 5g of dry Methyl Orange in 100ml distilled water...

Fanks bro...read dat 2. D problem z we have no analytic balance. So if I cld get d equivalent of 5g probably in relation to a tablespoon or teaspoon?!
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by Dioxidane: 6:41pm On Mar 09, 2015
sofdoc:

Fanks bro...read dat 2. D problem z we have no analytic balance. So if I cld get d equivalent of 5g probably in relation to a tablespoon or teaspoon?!

Uhmm, since you don't have the TTB I'll suggest you use 1spatula to 100ml distilled water... You'll still have to use your discretion in determining if it's saturated or not...
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by jorrn: 7:02pm On Mar 09, 2015
End point is the point in which the acid has finally neutralize the base, it is the point in which the total number(moles) of the acid has finally neutralize the total number(moles) of the base. In the end a colour change will be observed which depends on the indicator used for the titration. Guy if you use methyl orange, the colour change in base and acid are yellow and pink respectively. At End point the colour change will be orange if you use methyl orange. You should be careful in noting the colour changes because at the end point when the colour becomes orange any further addition of the diluted acid will change the concentration and hence it becomes acidic which will make the colour change to pink. Note that the main reason for titration is to get a neural solution of ph 7. So a colour change offered by methyl orange in base is yellow because the ph is greater than 7, while the colour change offered by methyl orange in acid solution is pink because the ph is less than 7. For neutral solution the colour offered by methyl orange is orange. Hope this helps.
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by Orezy5(m): 7:49pm On Mar 09, 2015
Dioxidane:

true talk
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by Orezy5(m): 7:50pm On Mar 09, 2015
sofdoc:

I tot so also...pls can u help me wif an idea of the quantity of methyl orange to dilute in water. Tanx.
dioxidane has said it all
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by sofdoc(m): 8:11pm On Mar 09, 2015
Dioxidane:

Uhmm, since you don't have the TTB I'll suggest you use 1spatula to 100ml distilled water... You'll still have to use your discretion in determining if it's saturated or not...

Fanks bro...would have 2 use my discretion to determine if 'what' is saturated?!

Sorry, I'm a green horn at this. Disliked chemistry wen I was in sch.
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by Dioxidane: 8:18pm On Mar 09, 2015
sofdoc:

Fanks bro...would have 2 use my discretion to determine if 'what' is saturated?!

Sorry, I'm a green horn at this. Disliked chemistry wen I was in sch.

Hope you understand 'concentrated'. It should not be too concentrated or 'thick'... That's what would make it dark brown...
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by sofdoc(m): 8:20pm On Mar 09, 2015
jorrn:
End point is the point in which the acid has finally neutralize the base, it is the point in which the total number(moles) of the acid has finally neutralize the total number(moles) of the base. In the end a colour change will be observed which depends on the indicator used for the titration. Guy if you use methyl orange, the colour change in base and acid are yellow and pink respectively. At End point the colour change will be orange if you use methyl orange. You should be careful in noting the colour changes because at the end point when the colour becomes orange any further addition of the diluted acid will change the concentration and hence it becomes acidic which will make the colour change to pink. Note that the main reason for titration is to get a neural solution of ph 7. So a colour change offered by methyl orange in base is yellow because the ph is greater than 7, while the colour change offered by methyl orange in acid solution is pink because the ph is less than 7. For neutral solution the colour offered by methyl orange is orange. Hope this helps.
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by sofdoc(m): 8:21pm On Mar 09, 2015
jorrn:

Does a lot bro...fanks.
Would let u know our progress.
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by sofdoc(m): 8:32pm On Mar 09, 2015
Dioxidane:

Hope you understand 'concentrated'. It should not be too concentrated or 'thick'... That's what would make it dark brown...
Shouldn't b dark brown as it reflects high concentration.
Ok, get it.
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by sofdoc(m): 3:16pm On Mar 10, 2015
Ok guys. Diluted the methyl orange as we agreed. Also diluted d base (na2co3) by adding 1 tablespoon in 250ml in water. What confuses me z, I don't feel like I've totally gotten it. As my methyl orange luks like light pink in base...attached.

My solution foams a lot wen I add d acid. Z it odd?!
Re: Titration - End Point Problems by sofdoc(m): 3:29pm On Mar 10, 2015
Methyl orange in base.

After adding acid

And the methyl orange

(1) (Reply)

Human Kinetics As A Course Of Study. / Heart Clipart / NUC Gives Update On Varsities Reopening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.