Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,485 members, 7,826,835 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo (54585 Views)

Oyinbo Woman Pays Homage To Oba Of Benin In His Palace. Photos / Oyinbo People Greet Ooni Ogunwusi At A Get-Together In New York.Pics / Etymology Of Yoruba Greetings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by safarigirl(f): 4:39pm On Mar 14, 2015
tintingz:
They are not the same it is a mixed up thing.

Onye ibo(Oyibo) means ibo people which the white men used to called the ibo people.

Oyin bo(Oyinbo) means peeled or bleached honey which the Yoruba people used to call the white men, Albinos, light skinned person.

Now tell me which make more sense and logical concerning "Oyinbo" a white person.

Oyibo is mixed up with Oyinbo, Oyibo is onye ibo.

Who has the time to correct you or listen to the missing "N" since the pronunciation are almost the same and they know you are referring to a white man.
Now I have correct you it is Oyinbo. smiley
stop trying to make silly claims

Yoruba people call it oyinbo. The rest of us who far outnumber south west call it oyibo. They both mean the same thing. Everyone but Yorubas know that.

Now stop quoting me and use google, sheesh!

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by whitecat1: 4:39pm On Mar 14, 2015
Yoruba use sweet in place of honey, so what is 'sweet' doing in nigeria's "crude oil'?

Dumb died dumb bury am!

safarigirl:

Even the angle of honey doesn't rhyme cuz honey is a golden brown colour, not pale

5 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by GentleToks(m): 4:46pm On Mar 14, 2015
SirShymexx:
Ezeagu

Lol. Which is more logical:

- melanin deficient

- or calling Europeans the name they once called you loool.

Bear in mind that Igbos were the last to have any contacts whatsoever with Europeans...use that as a premise to whatever answer you might posit.

No point fighting over a word - but the Igbo theory is just illogical to an history buff lol.

Lol!!!! It's quite shocking to see Igbo youngsters believing every gibberish that comes from their progenitors without asking questions.

How can you explain this to intelligent people around you that the names given to you by your masters(Europeans) is now being used to address d same European master? C 'mon guys, u r not that silly

6 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by whitecat1: 4:47pm On Mar 14, 2015
No they don't mean the same! But for words burrowers like you they will mean same!

Oyin - honey or sweet

Oyi - dizziness or fainting spell

You couldn't have called whitemen same name they called you, come back with less lame claim!
safarigirl:

Yoruba people call it oyinbo. The rest of us who far outnumber south west call it oyibo. They both mean the same thing. Everyone but Yorubas know that.

4 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by tintingz(m): 4:47pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:

Of course they are the same thing because the term Oyinbo simply means white person, it is a Yoruba word and other tribes borrowed the word it was mistaken as Oyibo.

5 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Lstar4real(m): 4:51pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
I'm sure you're smarter than you sound.

If something does not come up in WAEC does that mean it wasn't taught in school? If you did any part of history, you'd know all of this yarns was treated in SS1 and 2 curriculums so yes, na ONLY me do history for school apparently
Ofcourse am smarter than u and i read history Too...f u understand history.. .Y shouting wikipedia..is it not human like u that wrote it... And y u dont bring on what u study in school... There is nothing u will say that doesn't have different meaning in Yoruba lingo.. Its highly contested with English itself that's why u saw some English words sound like Yoruba words which the white men stole from Yoruba lingo to make up their words Lol....aren't u wonder why The English people are studying Yoruba and many countries..... Like your nick though grin

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by safarigirl(f): 4:51pm On Mar 14, 2015
whitecat1:
No they don't mean the same!

Oyin - honey or sweet

Oyi - dizziness

You couldn't have called whitemen same name they called you, come back with less lame claim!
grow sense please. And what does honey have to do with white people?

If someone keeps calling yellow 'yennow'....people will start calling that person 'yennow' to mock the person. If white mispronounced ony'igbo as 'oyibo' it makes sense if the people would start calling them the same thing

If you're too ethnocentric to accept that, fine, but stop quoting me to yarn dust. ALL OF YOU

4 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by safarigirl(f): 4:53pm On Mar 14, 2015
Lstar4real:
Ofcourse am smarter than u and i read history Too...f u understand history.. .Y shouting wikipedia..is it not human like u that wrote it... And y u dont bring on what u study in school... There is nothing u will say that doesn't have different meaning in Yoruba lingo.. Its highly contested with English itself that's why u saw some English words sound like Yoruba words which the white men stole from Yoruba lingo to make up their words Lol....aren't u wonder why The English people are studying Yoruba and many countries..... Like your nick though grin
chei!

Una go soon tell me say na una even invent English
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Lstar4real(m): 4:59pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
chei!

Una go soon tell me say na una even invent English
its Yoruba lingo superiority.... grin

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 5:03pm On Mar 14, 2015
ezeagu:

"We have also markets, at which I have been frequently with my mother. These are sometimes visited by stout mahogany-coloured men from the south west of us: we call them Oye-Eboe, which term signifies red men living at a distance."

Olaudah Equiano, The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, [size=20pt]1789[/size]. [Link]

"John Taylor and Ajai Crowther, were called by the people of Onitsha black Europeans, oyibo ojii, or native foreigners."

Augustine Okwu, Igbo Culture and the Christian Missions, 1857-1957, 2010. [Link]

"Other words, phonetically closer to 'ebo' (e.g.ibo,oyibo), also had classificatory meanings. In [size=14pt]1832[/size], R. A. K. Oldfield recorded that on the middle reaches of the Niger near 'Eboe' (Aboh), locals hid in the bushes and called out to them what he heard as 'Oh, Eboe! Oh, Eboe!' (meaning 'White man, white man!'); in the 1850s at Onitsha another such 'stranger', Revd J.C. Taylor, was called by the people oibo, to mean 'whiteman'."

Paul E. Lovejoy, Identity in the Shadow of Slavery, 2009 [Link]

[size=18pt]!!![/size]

The Olaudah Equaino story has been debunked. The guy was born in America, and he never lived in today's Nigeria. Everything he alluded to were based on hearsay. Regardless, that's inconsequential cos the timeline is in the 18th century. Ijebus sold clothes to Portuguese explorers in the 12th century - that's about 6 centuries apart from the Olaudah's theory.

Also, is the theory logical to you as an history buff? Just put sentiments aside, and answer the question. Not saying it's a Yoruba word, but I need something more convincing and logical. Furthermore, I believe Igbos have other names for white people, which are more logical and have distinct meanings in Igbo language.

Onitsha folks have Bini links and ancestry. So, I'm guessing that must have come from the Bini etymology and words in their dialect.

Honestly, this is way folks don't take African historians seriously. Most of you just sit in your bedrooms and draw up illogical conjectures based on ego - not academic research - and spam everywhere with it. No one with an IQ above 50 will ever take this theory seriously. I think Igbos are guilty of this the most (Bini and Yorubas esp. the Oyo folks as well) - hence it's always difficult to read Igbo history cos it never adds up. Take a look at Igbo-Ukwu and Nri - rather than give the Igalas their credit, you see all these illogical Igbo pseudo-historians with all kinds baseless conjectures about how both were quintessentially Igbo, when that wasn't the case. Ditto trying to deny Bini influence in Onitsha - and Akwa Ibom/Calabar in Arochukwu.

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by whitecat1: 5:03pm On Mar 14, 2015
You are trying to derail the thread with your abusive words cos your claims have no legs to stand on. It won't take me 5 mins to scatter the thread if I want, but not now. You are made for a joke and that is on now.

What has sweet got to do with 'sweet crude" oil? Get that first like I asked you earlier before we proceed. You have burrowed most of the words you use today, your language is almost dead.
safarigirl:
grow sense please. And what does honey have to do with white people?

If someone keeps calling yellow 'yennow'....people will start calling that person 'yennow' to mock the person. If white mispronounced ony'igbo as 'oyibo' it makes sense if the people would start calling them the same thing

If you're too ethnocentric to accept that, fine, but stop quoting me to yarn dust. ALL OF YOU

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 5:06pm On Mar 14, 2015
GentleToks:

Lol!!!! It's quite shocking to see Igbo youngsters believing every gibberish that comes from their progenitors without asking questions.

How can you explain this to intelligent people around you that the names given to you by your masters(Europeans) is now being used to address d same European master? C 'mon guys, u r not that silly

Lol.

Every the word "ni.gger" was never flipped that way.

This is a disservice to history, and Igbos are always guilty of rewriting history. They have got a great history and hyperbole is the bane of Igbo historians lol.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 5:08pm On Mar 14, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. You will go with the most illogical hypothesis out there, no?

Why would Yorubas even borrow the word from Igbos, when they had contacts with Europeans way before them? And isn't 'ibo' a recent construct? I thought you are Yoruba and I have a better understanding than you do, then you might be an impostor.

The topic has been overflogged anyway.

1) Onye ibo sounds more like oyinbo than afin and efun.

2) All the odus I have read so far said nothing about Oyinbo or anything that sounds like it.

3) I have never heard of any adjectives (Yoruba) that sounds remotely like Oyinbo used to describe light-skinned in Yoruba.

4) it took the op forever to explain how the word Oyinbo was derived compare to the igbo's/SS version.

5) This is not about sentiment
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 5:08pm On Mar 14, 2015
Oyibo and Oyinbo are the same word, the only difference is how Yorubas write.

Its origin is from Onye Igbo (Igbo person) or Onye Ibo or Onye Eboe that Whites failed to pronounce correctly when referring to Igbo people. This was in turn used to refer to White people that often say it.

Same can be said with "Nyem mmiri" that becomes "Nyamiri" used to refer to Igbo people or "Ngb.ati Ngb.ati" used to refer to Yoruba people.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 5:10pm On Mar 14, 2015
GentleToks:

In response to the one u chose to believe.

The write up does not make sense from d beginning to the end. Why trying to alter what is unalterable? If slave merchants used Onye Ibo as derogatory remark in reference to hardworking Ibo slaves, how come the same derogatory words are being used against the same white slave merchants who used the same derogatory words on their slaves? It didn't even hard up in the first place. How could ""On""-ye Ibo be called Oyinbo?

As usual, you come up with this meaningless assertion to sell to d gullible ones to buy and funny enough, few have bought it already. Chaiii!!!!.......

How come there is no slavery book that has ever made reference to this Onye - Ibo? As at 13/03/2015, white people are still being called Oyinbo in Nigeria and they(the ones in the country) have never seen it as derogatory words.

Finally, my Family name is "FATOYINBO"(OYINBO) and this name was given to my progenitor cos he is xtremely fair in complexion (very fair in skin colour).

N.B Right from genesis, Igbos have always called white people Onye Ocha, how has Onye Ocha transcend to Oyinbo.

Give me something better

It is not even an Igbo word from what I read sometime ago. But I choose to believe their own version.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 5:12pm On Mar 14, 2015
BraniacX:

The way you yorubas skew history time and again to suit your pathetic agendas is very sad. I feel sorry for you lot claiming every one has affiliation with you while in the same vein same people are denying any affiliation with you by any means possible.
Have you asked any itsekiri historian about any probable connections between them and ijebus? No! But you ascribe that to them already from the comfort of your armchair.
Now what happens to the already accepted history of a benin prince setting up the itsekiri kingdoms
It never occurred to you that the history of some peoples is not as vague and theoretical as yours.

Lol. Itsekiri history is out there - written by Itsekiri historians.

Heck, they are mostly of Ijebu stock - and they still have Ijebu clans loool. I would have posted the links to you but I'm busy today.

Ode Jekri - Ode Remo - Ode Ijebu or Ijebu Ode...if you can't see the link in that, then I can't help you lol.

Bini empire was landlocked and no proper Bini historian will ever make that claim. Ijebus traded with Europeans way before anyone. I don't even think there was a Bini empire when Ijebus started trading with Europeans - the empire was built later lol. Learn ya history!
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 5:16pm On Mar 14, 2015
Justfollowit:

2) All the odus I have read so far said nothing about Oyinbo or anything that sounds like it.

3) I have never heard of any adjectives (Yoruba) that sounds remotely like Oyinbo used to describe light-skinned in Yoruba.

4) it took the op forever to explain how the word Oyinbo was derived compare to the igbo's/SS version.

Stop faking the funk - you don't just translate words based on what they sound like. You judge them based on the meaning. Also, you have to use the premise.

Does the premise make any sense to you? Oh, white men called us onye ibo - hence we started calling them the same name loool. Yet they have other words for white people, with proper distinct meanings which represent white people in the same language.

Your Yoruba is questionable - and I doubt you're Yoruba. If I could know more than you do, then you can't be Yoruba.

3 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 14, 2015
SirShymexx:

Stop faking the funk - you don't just translate words based on what they sound like. You judge them based on the meaning. Also, you have to use the premise.

Does the premise make any sense to you? Oh, white men called us onye ibo - hence we started calling them the same name loool. Yet they have other words for white people, with proper distinct meanings which represent white people in the same language.

Your Yoruba is questionable - and I doubt you're Yoruba. If I could know more than you do, then you can't be Yoruba.

kelvin100:
Oyibo and Oyinbo are the same word, the only difference is how Yoruba's write.
Its origin is from Onye Igbo (Igbo person) or Onye Ibo or Onye Eboe that Whites failed to pronounce correctly when referring to Igbo people. This was in turn used to refer to White people that often say it.
Same can be said with "Nyem mmiri" that becomes "Nyamiri" used to refer to Igbo people or "Ngb.ati Ngb.ati" used to refer to Yoruba people.

When a group of people say something often that sounds funny to others, it can be used in reverse to refer to those people saying it.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by tintingz(m): 5:17pm On Mar 14, 2015
Justfollowit:

This is not about the sound we are talking about the meaning.

Onye ibo simply means an ibo man which the white men used to call the Igbo people.

Oyin bo means peeled honey which the yorubas used to call the white men.

Now which is more logical in meaning?

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Lstar4real(m): 5:21pm On Mar 14, 2015
kelvin100:
Oyibo and Oyinbo are the same word, the only difference is how Yoruba's write.

You make me laugh in spanish.. .you telling us now that onye Igbo mean Igbo person and white men failed to pronounce it and called Igbo person - Oyinbo how come u calling white men that gave u Oyinbo n calling them d name in return....common.. ..conjur another history... and lets see maybe it will be better than this...

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 5:23pm On Mar 14, 2015
kelvin100:

When a group of people say something often that sounds funny to others, it can be used in reverse to refer to those people saying it.

The reverse is still illogical.

Do Yorubas call themselves or Igbos the "ng.bati" word?

No matter how you twist it, it's going to remain illogical cos it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 5:24pm On Mar 14, 2015
tintingz:

Onye ibo simply means an ibo man which the white men used to call the Igbo people.

Peeled honey?

Are you kidding me?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 5:24pm On Mar 14, 2015
SirShymexx:

The reverse is still illogical.

Do Yorubas call themselves or Igbos the "Yoruba" word?

No matter how you twist it, it's going to remain illogical cos it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I don't understand what you mean here.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 5:28pm On Mar 14, 2015
kelvin100:

I don't understand what you mean here.

NL censorship: I posted "ng.bati".

Anyway, I'm out - I just came to correct some hyperbole and pseudo-history someone posted about Bini and Niger Delta groups.

I don't care about the word - out here, we say "Oyinbo" - and that shiit sounds Yoruba to me.

You lot can stick to onye ibo, oye ibo, oyibo, or whatever remix you want to ascribe to it.

Trifling a trifle is pointless.

Shalom.

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 5:31pm On Mar 14, 2015
tintingz:

What I am saying is that the op's analysis is wrong.

Wikipedia might not be a reliable source but it is pretty good.

Have a look at this link
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyibo

The one for Yoruba makes more sense, sounds more like Yoruba. Thus it has peeled in Yoruba would be 'o ti yi bo' or ‘o yi bo'

The igbo version of Oyinbo is also believable. 'Onye ibo' to ‘Oyinbo'

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by GentleToks(m): 5:32pm On Mar 14, 2015
Justfollowit:

Give me something better

It is not even an Igbo word from what I read sometime ago. But I choose to believe their own version.

Good for ya.

But I hope that is not how u ve chosen or choose your path to greatness in life when d right right path is staring at u or obvious to u
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by chicargo(m): 5:32pm On Mar 14, 2015
Oyinbo has assn IBO root. Still wondering why someone wants to take it to Yoruba history class. Mcheeeew.

The whites called the IBO man Oyinbo for ' Onye IBO'. Just like the Hausas called IBO Inyamiri for 'Nyem mmiri'. Fake history lesson.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 5:35pm On Mar 14, 2015
SirShymexx:

The Olaudah Equaino story has been debunked. The guy was born in America, and he never lived in today's Nigeria. Everything he alluded to were based on hearsay. Regardless, that's inconsequential cos the timeline is in the 18th century. Ijebus sold clothes to Portuguese explorers in the 12th century - that's about 6 centuries apart from the Olaudah's theory.

Also, is the theory logical to you as an history buff? Just put sentiments aside, and answer the question. Not saying it's a Yoruba word, but I need something more convincing and logical. Furthermore, I believe Igbos have other names for white people, which are more logical and have distinct meanings in Igbo language.

Onitsha folks have Bini links and ancestry. So, I'm guessing that must have come from the Bini etymology and words in their dialect.

Honestly, this is way folks don't take African historians seriously. Most of you just sit in your bedrooms and draw up illogical conjectures based on ego - not academic research - and spam everywhere with it. No one with an IQ above 50 will ever take this theory seriously. I think Igbos are guilty of this the most (Bini and Yorubas esp. the Oyo folks as well) - hence it's always difficult to read Igbo history cos it never adds up. Take a look at Igbo-Ukwu and Nri - rather than give the Igalas their credit, you see all these illogical Igbo pseudo-historians with all kinds baseless conjectures about how both were quintessentially Igbo, when that wasn't the case. Ditto trying to deny Bini influence in Onitsha - and Akwa Ibom/Calabar in Arochukwu.

Why are you so worked up about a name that brought tears and suffering.

Anything goes for me

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 5:39pm On Mar 14, 2015
GentleToks:

Good for ya.

But I hope that is not how u ve chosen or choose your path to greatness in life when d right right path is staring at u or obvious to u

This is not about the odu, Osun, esu, Ogun or any of the gods. I will rather argue all day about my history than some stupid conjectured word
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 14, 2015
tintingz:

guy, what is the link between white man and peeled honey?

Is it that the white man came with honey when his skin is peeling?

I am getting confuse by logic, it doesn't add up.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 5:48pm On Mar 14, 2015
Justfollowit:

Why are you so worked up about a name that brought tears and suffering.

Anything goes for me

Are you crazy? Who is worked up? And was that directed to you? What tears did the word bring to ya eyes? Get ya nonsense off things that have to do with history ad timeline.

I posted a response to someone I have a history of discussing history with, citing different examples - a discourse out of ya depth. Yet you had to quote that to spout nonsense.

Get the fvck out of my face, fvcking impostor.

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 5:52pm On Mar 14, 2015
SirShymexx:

Are you crazy? Who is worked up? And was that directed to you? What tears did the word bring to ya eyes? Get ya nonsense off things that have to do with history ad timeline.

I posted a response to someone I have a history of discussing history with, citing different examples - a discourse out of ya depth. Yet you had to quote that to spout nonsense.

Get the fvck out of my face, fvcking impostor.

Okay shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) / Alaafin Of Oyo Or Sijuade Of Ife / 200-Year-Old Crocodile Showcased At Ero Okeliwo Festival In Ogun (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.