Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,083 members, 7,825,413 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo (54567 Views)

Oyinbo Woman Pays Homage To Oba Of Benin In His Palace. Photos / Oyinbo People Greet Ooni Ogunwusi At A Get-Together In New York.Pics / Etymology Of Yoruba Greetings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 8:59am On Mar 15, 2015
SirShymexx:

Loool.

Those folks are a lost cause. You shouldn't even be telling that much lies when ya king is called "Oba" - a pure Yoruba name with no meaning in Bini language looool.

Anyway, I love Bini folks but their lies can be overbearing sometimes.

The same Bini folks who employed Itsekiri middlemen to trade with Europeans - the landlocked empire - allegedly met Europeans before everyone loool. Utter tosh. In that region, the Itsekiris and Ijos had contact with them before anyone else. And that was around 15th/16th century or so.

@ SirShymexx

Read what you wrote: "Those folks are a lost cause..."

First you sound extremely INSULTING and very rude. Anyway denigrating others achievement through insult and abusive words is part of Yoruba culture and social life.

So you can be excused for that.

Again you wrote this: "You shouldn't even be telling that much lies when ya king is called "Oba" - a pure Yoruba name with no meaning in Bini language looool."

My friend, herein lies one of the major reasons we have no histories in Nigeria today. You the Yorubas started rubbishing others. One of such claims was the word OBA is Yoruba origin.

Sorry that is a big lie. Check olden days history, there was no king in the olden Yorubaland known as OBA. In fact no Yoruba king use the title OBA. What we had was; Alaafin of Oyo, Olubadan of Ibadan, Ooni of Ife.

The first time the title 'OBA' was used for a king in present day Yorubaland was Oba of Lagos - which was fully established by Old Oba of Benin.

The Benin kings has been known as 'OBAs' for many centuries before they established one in old Lagos.

Again you wrote: "pure Yoruba name with no meaning in Bini language looool."

Is not pure Yoruba name. Oba is 100% Benin name with great meanings. Even many high chiefs of Benin origin are still in Lagos today such as the Obanikoro family.

The major problem of you the Yorubas is that of swollen headed ego, vaunting superiority that has lead to the crippling of simple histories. And you did not disappoint here. You really represent the Yoruba mindset.

5 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 9:00am On Mar 15, 2015
macof:

The man u like quoting everyday, Olaudah said,his people were subjects to the Oba of Bini
I believe u said his town is in Anambra

So u only pick what you like from his book?
How mature

He was referring to the bight under which he believed his town was located - the bight of benin area. Bight of Benin extends all the way from south central Nigeria to Ghana. It includes south central and south-west nigeria, benin republic, Togo and Ghana and we all know that not all these areas and countries were under the influence of the kingdom of bini.

If it pleases you to assume that olaudah's town was under the rule of the kingdom of bini just because he mentioned his town as being in the bight of benin area, it would please me to also believe that they yoruba were under the king of bini because the much greater kingdom of bini than oyo or ife extended all the way to eko (lagos) state.

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 9:11am On Mar 15, 2015
NigerMan1:

@ SirShymexx

First you sound extremely INSULTING and very rude. Anyway denigrating others achievement through insult and abusive words is part of Yoruba culture and social life.

Again you wrote this: "You shouldn't even be telling that much lies when ya king is called "Oba" - a pure Yoruba name with no meaning in Bini language looool."

My friend, herein lies one of the major reasons we have no histories in Nigeria today. You the Yorubas started rubbishing others. One of such claims was the word OBA is Yoruba origin.

Sorry that is a big lie. Check olden days history, there was no king in the olden Yorubaland known as OBA. In fact no Yoruba king use the title OBA. What we had was; Alaafin of Oyo, Olubadan of Ibadan, Ooni of Ife.

The first time the title 'OBA' was used for a king in present day Yorubaland was Oba of Lagos - which was fully established by Old Oba of Benin.

The Benin kings has been known as 'OBAs' for many centuries before they established one in old Lagos.

Is not pure Yoruba name. Oba is 100% Benin name with great meanings. Even many high chiefs of Benin origin are still in Lagos today such as the Obanikoro family.

The major problem of you the Yorubas is that of swollen headed ego, vaunting superiority that has lead to the crippling of simple histories. And you did not disappoint here. You really represent the Yoruba mindset.

Thank you for this. 1000 likes for this.

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 9:21am On Mar 15, 2015
makazona:

Beautiful.u jst read my mind!!

Thanks. I will do a more detailed work on the topic tomorrow.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by GenIgrigi: 11:34am On Mar 15, 2015
SirShymexx:

Stop faking the funk - you don't just translate words based on what they sound like. You judge them based on the meaning. Also, you have to use the premise.

Does the premise make any sense to you? Oh, white men called us onye ibo - hence we started calling them the same name loool. Yet they have other words for white people, with proper distinct meanings which represent white people in the same language.

Your Yoruba is questionable - and I doubt you're Yoruba. If I could know more than you do, then you can't be Yoruba.

**grins** Shut da hell up, so because she is being objective her yoruba origin becomes questionable. LOLS. Like safarigirl said, if some stranger mispronouces words like Onye Ibo/Oyibo, the indigenes may use that mispronouced word to identify that stranger since they had no previous name for him. This is common sense, it happens almost everywhere. Mr quasi-intellectual please stick to your burger-frying and scrapping by to make ends meet.**LOLS**
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by GenIgrigi: 11:47am On Mar 15, 2015
NigerMan1:

@SirShymexx

Sometimes I strongly shiver why many of you Yorubas have been wired to use derogatory words / terms to describe other ethnics and pulling down their age-old values and contribution to the black race.

THE GREAT BENIN EMPIRE

So the great Benin Empire, which was the biggest and longest reigning African empire in olden days has now become a thing to be abused or put down by you Yoruba?

First you claimed Benin was 'landlocked' - and this shameless statement can only come from a Yoruba fellow. Historically Benin Empire extended across the Niger sea, conquering thousands of communities in present day Niger Delta, some Igbo communities, down to Lagos.

In the course of this massive progression, they established (or influenced) many monarchies such as Itsekiri, some Urhobho, Onitsha and Lagos.

That was the reason it was termed "Great Benin Empire" by international historians. Please the Oyo Empire was not so called term in international circles.

ABOUT ITSEKIRI:

Sorry this is another Yoruba fallacy trying fervently coin our collective histories to promote your penchant for supremacy. Itsekiri land was originally founded by old Benin Obas, including their Monarchy. Along the line there were other influences including few Yoruba contacts especially those brought from Lagos.

ABOUT WHO MEET THE EUROPEANS FIRST

This truth is well known even in Primary school sociology and history that the Portuguese first landed at the 'byte of Benin' and met the Oba. Trade, commerce, scholarship were exchanged. Even the slaves of the Benin Empire who were of Igbo, Urobho, Ijaw, Itsekiri origin etc benefited from those scholarship by going abroad for education.

Many did not return back to Nigeria!

ITSEKIRIS ARE NOT IJEBU:

Your so-called Ijebu forming Itsekiri is a twisted story which has remain the major plank upon which you guys love to write other history for sheer Superiority. And please I plead with you Yorubas to stop denigrating the Edo history and culture.

**grins** If you Binis know what's good for you, you'd better not let anyone rewrite your history for you else your children will be conditioned believe historical lies written by strangers who wish to regale themselves with tales of Bini historical subservience to yoruba when it's actually the other way round. I warn you. **LOLS**

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by eyinjuege: 11:57am On Mar 15, 2015
safarigirl:

The only person being a blockhead here is your ethnocentric self who has blatantly refused to accept that just maybe [/b]the tribe you hate most was also responsible for a term you originally though[b]........

Pls, take it easy. I've gone through his posts here and can't see anything suggesting he HATES (such a strong word) any tribe. We all can disagree on issues without necessarily hating.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by GenIgrigi: 12:00pm On Mar 15, 2015
NigerMan1:

@ SirShymexx

**grins** I am quoting the bolded for future reference **LOL**

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 12:21pm On Mar 15, 2015
NigerMan1:

@ SirShymexx

Well, I think you lack basic reading and comprehension skills - and reading in context isn't your forte. If you had taken time to read in context of what/who was reply was directed at - you would have seen that. Macof cited "Edoworld" - that's a website I've visited in the past, and I'm acquainted with the hyperbole on there - hence I labelled the folks on the website a lost cause. I neither denigrated your ethnic group nor vaunted superiority...but I did call out folks who're notorious for junk historical inaccuracies.

Er, you asserted that "Oba" is a Bini word - are you saying both "Obalufon" (an Ife king before Bini moved from Ogiso to Obaship), and "Obanta" (the progenitor of the Ijebus who existed way before Binis had an empire and/or started Obaship) also came from Bini? - bwahahahahaha. Like I said earlier - hyperbole is the bane of Bini history. You have got a great history, and there's no point adding extras, to boost ya non-existent egos. Stick with facts.

Also, do you know Obanta actually founded an Ijebu town in the 15th century called: "Obalufon"?

Image of Obalufon's head/mask here:

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 12:29pm On Mar 15, 2015
NigerMan1:

@ SirShymexx

You did not reply my earlier reply to you. Why?

It seems you are in love with the word "landlocked'. Bro is that the new word you Yorubas invented to denigrate Benin/Edo to promote your Yoruba 'superior folktale'?

So a land that was landlocked was recorded and called an EMPIRE?

Bro do you know the real meaning of Empire? And do you know the qualities and features that made old European historians, events recorders, missionaries, sailors etc to use the term 'Empire' to qualified and described powerful kingdoms in the olden days?

Bro you need to go back and discover these salient facts first.

In addition, Benin Kingdom was the only one even described as "GREAT" among most black African Empires of old. Again you also need to do more research why?

Let me quickly say few things:

1) Benin Empire Was NOT Landlocked

It was the oldest and longest reigning Empire. It extended from present day Benin throughout the Niger River, conquering most communities in present day Niger Delta, Onitsha and environs, Niger state, Bayelsa, down to Lagos.

Monarchy were either established or promoted in all those thousands of communities. For example, some in Urhobho land, Itsekiri, Onitsha. The monarchy in Lagos was 100% Benin established.

2) You Are Guilty Of Same Error You Are Accusing The Igbos

By saying the Benin Empire was landlocked and stylishly promoting Yoruba folklore as fact (Ijebus established Itsekiri) you're not only lying but denigrating the the high value the Benin Empire brought to black race. You're re-echoing the age-long Yoruba lies, sentiments and barefaced denials to rubbish the Benin influence to present day Yoruba land.

3) Benin First Established Contact With Europeans

Why trying to change this fact? Maybe you don't know these were recorded by the Portuguese explorers, sailors and academics when they first forayed into Africa long, long before the French and British.

In fact there are records that they established agreement with Oba of Benin for trades, scholarship etc. And not only Benins enjoyed the scholarship but also slaves and people of lands under Benin Empire such as Ijaws, Itsekiris, Urhobhos, Igbo and many in the old Lagos.

4) Stop Your Yoruba Superiority Folktales

Can you see how easy for you to denigrate the massive achievements of one of the greatest Black Empires that ever existed? Can you smell your own odour of insults and sneer about us the Benin/Edos in your remarks?

And at the same time you easily put forward your Yoruba folktale as the truths? Can you decipher your own bias here? So according to you the Benin Empire was a ruse, while Yoruba 'history' handed to you by your parents and elders is sacrosanct?

So the history of Benin Obas and Ogisos were fake, but your Yoruba folktales and mythology of Oduduwa, Ijebu/Itsekiri land are all truths?

5) Ijebu Was Not An Empire

Am aghast you brought Ijebu into the mix. Sorry Ijebu was not a force to reckon with in the olden days; it was not an independent empire. We had only the Oyo and Great Benin Empires.

Lol.

This doesn't even deserve a reply - pure nonsense straight from Edoworld.

The only thing I'll say is: check the map of Bini empire to see if it was landlocked or not. And ask your Bini elders why they needed Itsekiri middlemen to trade with Europeans, if they were the first to have contacts with them.

Then, go read Itsekiri history (I'll recommend Prof. Itse Sagay's scholarship), and read about Itsekiri clans like: Ugborodo, Ogidiben etc. to know why they still hold on to their Ijebu links.

Have a nice life - it's difficult debating a vacuous airhead. Go find someone who's better acquainted with Bini history - so I can post academic links from academics/historians/archaeologists/anthropologists.

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 2:07pm On Mar 15, 2015
GenIgrigi:

**grins** If you Binis know what's good for you, you'd better not let anyone rewrite your history for you else your children will be conditioned believe historical lies written by strangers who wish to regale themselves with tales of Bini historical subservience to yoruba when it's actually the other way round. I warn you. **LOLS**

@ GenIgrigi

Thanks for this 'warning' my friend. No they cannot...

The beauty of this is that the Benin/Edo cultural heritage is so rich, deep and well known in most African records. In fact a great part of our history were recorded by early Europeans (Portuguese, French, British) which cannot be erased.

EDO/BENIN CULTURE IS VAST

This served as one of the major reasons that Benin artefact (Queen Idiah) was used as the symbol of African Art & Culture popular called Festac "77.

The Africans who planned that monster events in 1977 did not use Yoruba art and culture as symbol of the black race - they all settled for the Benin art and culture.

Yet later day Yorubas will not acknowledge that but speak as 'superior' when they'd offered little to the whole African art and culture.

YORUBAS ARE BORN "SUPERIOR" FIGHTERS

The problem is that the Yorubas are generally wired for superiority contest. Unfortunately they do this against themselves as well.

Go into a midst of say 5 Yoruba (Ijesha, Oyo, Egba, Ijebu, Awori, Ekiti etc) you'll discover this trait as each will claim is father, mother, lineage, accent is superior to the other.

For example, in Wema Bank. You will appalled how Yorubas are pulling each others down, reason why that bank has remained stunted despite 100% Yoruba.

We Edos Are Socially More Reserved

The major traits of we Edos is that we're reserved, respectful while an average Yoruba is socially loud and noisy. So they'd been pulling down our cultural values for several decades now.

We will not accept that anymore.

3 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by ezeagu(m): 2:54pm On Mar 15, 2015
GenIgrigi:

**grins** Shut da hell up, so because she is being objective her yoruba origin becomes questionable. LOLS. Like safarigirl said, if some stranger mispronouces words like Onye Ibo/Oyibo, the indigenes may use that mispronouced word to identify that stranger since they had no previous name for him. This is common sense, it happens almost everywhere. Mr quasi-intellectual please stick to your burger-frying and scrapping by to make ends meet.**LOLS**

"In the Igbo language, the word for "white man" is "beke" – a corruption of the surname Baikie - and the word for "Britain" is "ala Beke," or "Baikie's country."

William Balfour Baikie [Wikipedia]
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by gatiano(m): 3:07pm On Mar 15, 2015
you think oyinbo is a good thing? it is a thing rejected, they are not meant to live forever. Except of the albinoes who have blackness far under their skin. The oyibo has no blackness whatsoever, they are totally recessive.
GentleToks:

That write up does not make sense from d beginning to the end. Why trying to alter what is unalterable? If slave merchants used Onye Ibo as derogatory remark in reference to hardworking Ibo slaves, how come the same derogatory words are being used against the same white slave merchants who used the same derogatory words on their slaves? It didn't even hard up in the first place. How could ""On""-ye Ibo be called Oyinbo?

As usual, you come up with this meaningless assertion to sell to d gullible ones to buy and funny enough, few have bought it already. Chaiii!!!!.......

How come there is no slavery book that has ever made reference to this Onye - Ibo? As at 13/03/2015, white people are still being called Oyinbo in Nigeria and they(the ones in the country) have never seen it as derogatory words.

Finally, my Family name is "FATOYINBO"(OYINBO) and this name was given to my progenitor cos of his xtremely fair in skin complexion (very fair in skin colour).

N.B Right from genesis, Igbos have always called white people Onye Ocha, how has Onye Ocha transcend to Oyinbo.

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by gatiano(m): 3:13pm On Mar 15, 2015
i have a question. Do you think Igbo, Edo, Yoruba are each a tribe?
NigerMan1:

@ GenIgrigi

Thanks for this 'warning' my friend. No they cannot...

The beauty of this is that the Benin/Edo cultural heritage is so rich, deep and well known in most African records. In fact a great part of our history were recorded by early Europeans (Portuguese, French, British) which cannot be erased.

EDO/BENIN CULTURE IS VAST

This served as one of the major reasons that Benin artefact (Queen Idiah) was used as the symbol of African Art & Culture popular called Festac "77.

The Africans who planned that monster events in 1977 did not use Yoruba art and culture as symbol of the black race - they all settled for the Benin art and culture.

Yet later day Yorubas will not acknowledge that but speak as 'superior' when they'd offered little to the whole African art and culture.

YORUBAS ARE BORN "SUPERIOR" FIGHTERS

The problem is that the Yorubas are generally wired for superiority contest. Unfortunately they do this against themselves as well.

Go into a midst of say 5 Yoruba (Ijesha, Oyo, Egba, Ijebu, Awori, Ekiti etc) you'll discover this trait as each will claim is father, mother, lineage, accent is superior to the other.

For example, in Wema Bank. You will appalled how Yorubas are pulling each others down, reason why that bank has remained stunted despite 100% Yoruba.

We Edos Are Socially More Reserved

The major traits of we Edos is that we're reserved, respectful while an average Yoruba is socially loud and noisy. So they'd been pulling down our cultural values for several decades now.

We will not accept that anymore.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 3:17pm On Mar 15, 2015
SirShymexx:

Well, I think you lack basic reading and comprehension skills - and reading in context isn't your forte. If you had taken time to read in context of what/who was reply was directed at - you would have seen that. Macof cited "Edoworld" - that's a website I've visited in the past, and I'm acquainted with the hyperbole on there - hence I labelled the folks on the website a lost cause. I neither denigrated your ethnic group nor vaunted superiority...but I did call out folks who're notorious for junk historical inaccuracies.

Er, you asserted that "Oba" is a Bini word - are you saying both "Obalufon" (an Ife king before Bini moved from Ogiso to Obaship), and "Obanta" (the progenitor of the Ijebus who existed way before Binis had an empire and/or started Obaship) also came from Bini? - bwahahahahaha. Like I said earlier - hyperbole is the bane of Bini history. You have got a great history, and there's no point adding extras, to boost ya non-existent egos. Stick with facts.

Also, do you know Obanta actually founded an Ijebu town in the 15th century called: "Obalufon"?

My dear SirShymexx, let me reply you point by point:

1) You wrote: "Well, I think you lack basic reading and comprehension skills - and reading in context isn't your forte..."

Well as I said earlier, using abusive, derogatory words on others is part of the upbringing of an average Yoruba person. And you my friend, have not disappointed here at all. Once again, you are excused for abusing me, for I do not expect anything better when I launch into this discussions. In fact, I realized since the late 70s up till today, if a Yoruba man use decent language and word during discussions of this nature (where you often claim superiority) is but a 'plus'

2) You wrote: "Macof cited "Edoworld" - that's a website I've visited in the past, and I'm acquainted with the hyperbole on there - hence I labelled the folks on the website a lost cause. I neither denigrated your ethnic group nor vaunted superiority...but I did call out folks who're notorious for junk historical inaccuracies."

So my friend, you think you have superior knowledge to label the histories others are telling about their forefather's sojourn on earth as 'hyperbole' or 'junk historical inaccuracies' ? Maybe you're right - but herein lies the popular Yoruba hypocrisy down the ages.

While you're busy poking into others history to vanish it, you're at the same UPHOLDING your own history? Haba? So if those Edo stories on that site you quoted are folktales and lies, what do you call your own Yoruba Oduduwa story? My friend, let me tell you 99% of your Oduduwa 'history' is folktales, folklore, and mythology. In fact, Oduduwa was never a human being, but was a chief demon god that demand human sacrifices...

... and up till today, human beings are still being used to appease or worship the demon god called oduduwa.

3) You wrote: "Er, you asserted that "Oba" is a Bini word - are you saying both "Obalufon" (an Ife king before Bini moved from Ogiso to Obaship), and "Obanta" (the progenitor of the Ijebus who existed way before Binis had an empire and/or started Obaship) also came from Bini?"

Sorry your so called "Obanta" is a complete folklore and later smuggled into your Yoruba history to score a cheap point . What I discovered you guys do sometimes whenever you want to bring down or supplant other true history with yours is that you carefully create a folklore and back date it. This is where your "Obalufon" and "Obanta" stuff is coming in.

Also we are talking about OBA - not Obanta and Obalufon. Look they don't sound the same. How was the Obanta called? There is a vast difference between calling a King "Oba of..." and a generic "Obanta"

Some Questions For You...

>> What happened to those titles and stool?

>> Why are the Kings no more called "Obalufon" and "Obanta" even as at many 100s years ago? Where are their descendants?

>> Why are today kings in the same locations, now being called a different titles?

>> Why do these "Obalufon" and "Obanta" only existed in the dark ages when there was no recorded histories?

4) You wrote: ""Obanta" (the progenitor of the Ijebus who existed way before Binis had an empire and/or started Obaship) also came from Bini?"

Very interesting, how you guys are firing from all cylinders to promote Yoruba history as very 'great' in all fronts and others very little. Now the latest is gradually bringing Ijebu that was never a force to reckon with in the olden days as a 'mighty' clan even before the Ogisos.

What then happen to the Ijebus, say 400-750 years ago?

5) You wrote: "...hyperbole is the bane of Bini history. You have got a great history, and there's no point adding extras, to boost ya non-existent egos. Stick with facts."

My brother, why talking like this? Can't see you're emitting "SUPERIORITY' mindset that is peculiar only to the Yorubas whenever our history become the subject?

What qualified you to described my own history as "HYPERBOLE" and your own Yoruba history as the "TRUTHS" ?

6) You wrote: "Also, do you know Obanta actually founded an Ijebu town in the 15th century called: "Obalufon"?

Image of Obalufon's head/mask here"

Haaa! Let me borrow your word here; This is all HYPERBOLE!!!

Yes - your "obalufon" and "Obanta" history is a complete HYPERBOLE.

Moreover the mask is not a big deal. All ethnic nationalities of the earth generally create artworks and sculptures to promote the folklore and beliefs they created. This is simply one of them. So it can never be tendered as a proof.

Am still battled that you find it very easy to denigrate the Benin histories and describing your Yoruba as "real".

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by GentleToks(m): 3:18pm On Mar 15, 2015
gatiano:
you think oyinbo is a good thing? it is a thing rejected, they are not meant to live forever. Except of the albinoes who have blackness far under their skin. The oyibo has no blackness whatsoever, they are totally recessive.

My friend, can u pls come back here to chat about this when you are fully awake?

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 3:46pm On Mar 15, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol.

This doesn't even deserve a reply - pure nonsense straight from Edoworld.

The only thing I'll say is: check the map of Bini empire to see if it was landlocked or not. And ask your Bini elders why they needed Itsekiri middlemen to trade with Europeans, if they were the first to have contacts with them.

Then, go read Itsekiri history (I'll recommend Prof. Itse Sagay's scholarship), and read about Itsekiri clans like: Ugborodo, Ogidiben etc. to know why they still hold on to their Ijebu links.

Have a nice life - it's difficult debating a vacuous airhead. Go find someone who's better acquainted with Bini history - so I can post academic links from academics/historians/archaeologists/anthropologists.

My dear SirShymexx,

Thanks for your reply. Again let me respond to you point by point:

1) You wrote: "This doesn't even deserve a reply - pure nonsense straight from Edoworld."

And, again you did not disappoint me at all. You are the true son of your fathers. Ability to insults and abuse is well ingrained and culturally established in the Yoruba person.

2) You wrote: "The only thing I'll say is: check the map of Bini empire to see if it was landlocked or not. And ask your Bini elders why they needed Itsekiri middlemen to trade with Europeans, if they were the first to have contacts with them.

First, you seems to be contracting yourself here. You called it "Empire" and at the same time a landlocked? Why was it described as an Empire? Or do you think an Empire was restricted to the promoter's location?

Let me briefly schooled you why the word 'empire' was used to described great nations of old...

A little nation, that applied military strategies beyond its traditional abode and conquered other towns, nations (most of whom were bigger and more in population) and able to bring them under its control and rulership were described as EMPIRE.

For the Great Benin Empire, as I told you, it extended far throughout most present day Niger Delta, some part of Igbo land, Niger state, down to Lagos.

Or would you also tell me the Oba of Lagos was not a Benin creation? Thank God you the modern Yorubas could not disprove this because is well recorded even by the Europeans. Plus the families of Lagos monarchies have continue to say and accept it to the sadness of the rest of you.

3) You wrote: "Then, go read Itsekiri history (I'll recommend Prof. Itse Sagay's scholarship), and read about Itsekiri clans like: Ugborodo, Ogidiben etc. to know why they still hold on to their Ijebu links.

Sorry history is a continuous discovery and accept changes. Whatever Sagay wrote is not sacrosanct because there are many events and discoveries that challenged that claims.

4) You wrote: "Have a nice life - it's difficult debating a vacuous airhead.

Again you described me as a "vacuous airhead" ?

In other words, am a dunce, foolish and lack intelligence!!! Yes, am NOT annoyed at all because you're a Yoruba person. Abusing and insulting opposing fellow is an acceptable norms and culture in among Yorubas.

5) You wrote: "Go find someone who's better acquainted with Bini history - so I can post academic links from academics/historians/archaeologists/anthropologists."

Am better acquainted with Edo / Benin history than any Yoruba man dead or alive. You're a Yoruba and am Edo man to the core. Unfortunately over 97% of you Yorubas do not understand their own histories, but even an unborn Yoruba child knows a thing or two about Edo/Benin! Yes, he knows about the lies and derogatory tales you'd been spinning about us. But ask him to tell you about Egba, Ibadan, Oyo, Awori, Akure histories - he will go blank.

Please you people should face your own history and leave us alone. Stop denigrating and our rich values.

5 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 3:48pm On Mar 15, 2015
gatiano:
i have a question. Do you think Igbo, Edo, Yoruba are each a tribe?

Dear gatiano,

I would like to share some knowledge with you, But kindly rephrase your question.
Thanks
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by gatiano(m): 4:06pm On Mar 15, 2015
Is Yoruba a tribe?
Is Igbo a tribe
Is Edo a tribe
Ibibio, etc within Nigeria, Are they all seperate tribes?

Pardon me if i asked wrong.
NigerMan1:

Dear gatiano,

I would like to share some knowledge with you, But kindly rephrase your question.
Thanks
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by gatiano(m): 4:12pm On Mar 15, 2015
I have been awake a longtime. what do we need to chat about? Besides, the way you made your comment is such that light skinned are meant to be glorified and thus not referred to the non-black.
I beg for forgiveness if i have thought contuary to what you meant.
GentleToks:

My friend, can u pls come back here to chat about this when you are fully awake?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 4:34pm On Mar 15, 2015
ezeagu:

"In the Igbo language, the word for "white man" is "beke" – a corruption of the surname Baikie - and the word for "Britain" is "ala Beke," or "Baikie's country."

William Balfour Baikie [Wikipedia]

In southern Igboland and central Igbo, another word for "white man"...
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 5:00pm On Mar 15, 2015
[s]
NigerMan1:

My dear SirShymexx,

Thanks for your reply. Again let me respond to you point by point:

1) You wrote: "This doesn't even deserve a reply - pure nonsense straight from Edoworld."

And, again you did not disappoint me at all. You are the true son of your fathers. Ability to insults and abuse is well ingrained and culturally established in the Yoruba person.

2) You wrote: "The only thing I'll say is: check the map of Bini empire to see if it was landlocked or not. And ask your Bini elders why they needed Itsekiri middlemen to trade with Europeans, if they were the first to have contacts with them.

First, you seems to be contracting yourself here. You called it "Empire" and at the same time a landlocked? Why was it described as an Empire? Or do you think an Empire was restricted to the promoter's location?

Let me briefly schooled you why the word 'empire' was used to described great nations of old...

A little nation, that applied military strategies beyond its traditional abode and conquered other towns, nations (most of whom were bigger and more in population) and able to bring them under its control and rulership were described as EMPIRE.

For the Great Benin Empire, as I told you, it extended far throughout most present day Niger Delta, some part of Igbo land, Niger state, down to Lagos.

Or would you also tell me the Oba of Lagos was not a Benin creation? Thank God you the modern Yorubas could not disprove this because is well recorded even by the Europeans. Plus the families of Lagos monarchies have continue to say and accept it to the sadness of the rest of you.

3) You wrote: "Then, go read Itsekiri history (I'll recommend Prof. Itse Sagay's scholarship), and read about Itsekiri clans like: Ugborodo, Ogidiben etc. to know why they still hold on to their Ijebu links.

Sorry history is a continuous discovery and accept changes. Whatever Sagay wrote is not sacrosanct because there are many events and discoveries that challenged that claims.

4) You wrote: "Have a nice life - it's difficult debating a vacuous airhead.

Again you described me as a "vacuous airhead" ?

In other words, am a dunce, foolish and lack intelligence!!! Yes, am NOT annoyed at all because you're a Yoruba person. Abusing and insulting opposing fellow is an acceptable norms and culture in among Yorubas.

5) You wrote: "Go find someone who's better acquainted with Bini history - so I can post academic links from academics/historians/archaeologists/anthropologists."

Am better acquainted with Edo / Benin history than any Yoruba man dead or alive. You're a Yoruba and am Edo man to the core. Unfortunately over 97% of you Yorubas do not understand their own histories, but even an unborn Yoruba child knows a thing or two about Edo/Benin! Yes, he knows about the lies and derogatory tales you'd been spinning about us. But ask him to tell you about Egba, Ibadan, Oyo, Awori, Akure histories - he will go blank.

Please you people should face your own history and leave us alone. Stop denigrating and our rich values.
[/s]

Lol. Stop spamming my mentions with illiteracy and "likes" from Igbo muppets. You can't even write coherently to begin with - and your knowledge of history is pub level at best.

Go get better educated Bini folks on my level, who actually understand history, timeline etc. to debate me. I don't do illiterate-speak. undecided

"I don't debate those below me - I educate them" - Prof. John Henrik Clarke.

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 5:11pm On Mar 15, 2015
bigfrancis21:

He was referring to the bight under which he believed his town was located - the bight of benin area. Bight of Benin extends all the way from south central Nigeria to Ghana. It includes south central and south-west nigeria, benin republic, Togo and Ghana and we all know that not all these areas and countries were under the influence of the kingdom of bini.

If it pleases you to assume that olaudah's town was under the rule of the kingdom of bini just because he mentioned his town as being in the bight of benin area, it would please me to also believe that they yoruba were under the king of bini because the much greater kingdom of bini than oyo or ife extended all the way to eko (lagos) state.

This kingdom(Benin) is
divided into many provinces or
districts: in one of the most remote
and fertile of which, called
Eboe, I was born, in the year 1745,
in a charming fruitful vale, named
Essaka. The distance of this province
from the capital of Benin and
the sea coast must be very
considerable; for I had never heard of
white men or Europeans, nor of the
sea: and our subjection to the king
of Benin
was little more than
nominal; for every transaction of the
government, as far as my slender
observation extended, was conducted
by the chiefs or elders of the place.
From the link you sent to me

https://archive.org/stream/theinterestingna15399gut/15399.txt

grin you make me laugh
now the man doesn't know his hometown? Why then should anybody take his work seriously when he is so full of errors..even u are correcting his blunder, but get excited and choose to remain adamant on claiming Yoruba corrupted Oyibo into Oyinbo because Olaudah used Oyeebo in his book
If u don't take him seriously why should anybody?
Nt only does he fail the spelling/pronunciation of his town, he lacks the knowledge of it's location and reports falsely that his people were subjects to Oba of Benin
..but u lie Francis, and lately you've got a habit of it

The man specifically said his,town has a considerable distance from the coast and he never knew of Europeans
He also didn't mention bight of Benin, but coast of Guinea which is a different thing if u understand geography well

Keep it coming Francis, keep showing us more errors in Olaudah's book until we get to the point of "Oyeebo" and suddenly Olaudah has the final say grin grin grin

Well u can keep believing in ur fantasy that Benin was larger than Oyo...the outside world knows otherwise

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 5:33pm On Mar 15, 2015
SirShymexx:

Oh jst to add some more ancient names of Yoruba ancestors before Oranmiyan went to help the Edos establish obaship

Obalesun, Obalara, Obalale, Obawinrin, Obaluru, Obalase, Obaloran, Obatala, Obaluaye...that's enough

Oba as the same root word as Iba "ba" - to pay homage, give honour
Same u find in Baba

Funny how Edo had to wait for Oranmiyan before they started using Oba...imagining Oba is native to Edo

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 5:45pm On Mar 15, 2015
SirShymexx:
[s][/s]

Lol. Stop spamming my mentions with illiteracy and "likes" from Igbo muppets. You can't even write coherently to begin with - and your knowledge of history is pub level at best.

Go get better educated Bini folks on my level, who actually understand history, timeline etc. to debate me. I don't do illiterate-speak. undecided

"I don't debate those below me - I educate them" - Prof. John Henrik Clarke.

All the likes he's getting are from Yoruba hating Igbos who ultimately hang on to Bini to boast their ego
A pity tho

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 5:46pm On Mar 15, 2015
macof:

Oh jst to add some more ancient names of Yoruba ancestors before Oranmiyan went to help the Edos establish obaship

Obalesun, Obalara, Obalale, Obawinrin, Obaluru, Obalase, Obaloran, Obatala, Obaluaye...that's enough

Same u find in Baba

Funny how Edo had to wait for Oranmiyan before they started using Oba...imagining Oba is native to Edo

Lol. Don't mind these clowns.

Rather than debate the topic (which is obviously out of his depth) - he had to twist my words and allege that I denigrated his ethnic group, when I was clearly alluding to Edoworld (the website you cited). These folks are stark illiterates with pub-talks, after a few pints of cider. There's no point wasting precious time on them.

And you have got time debating the bigfrancis21 clown. His IQ should be below 70...folks stopped wasting time on him time ago.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 5:55pm On Mar 15, 2015
macof:

From the link you sent to me

https://archive.org/stream/theinterestingna15399gut/15399.txt

grin you make me laugh
now the man doesn't know his hometown? Why then should anybody take his work seriously when he is so full of errors..even u are correcting his blunder, but get excited and choose to remain adamant on claiming Yoruba corrupted Oyibo into Oyinbo because Olaudah used Oyeebo in his book
If u don't take him seriously why should anybody?
Nt only does he fail the spelling/pronunciation of his town, he lacks the knowledge of it's location and reports falsely that his people were subjects to Oba of Benin
..but u lie Francis, and lately you've got a habit of it

The man specifically said his,town has a considerable distance from the coast and he never knew of Europeans
He also didn't mention bight of Benin, but coast of Guinea which is a different thing if u understand geography well

Keep it coming Francis, keep showing us more errors in Olaudah's book until we get to the point of "Oyeebo" and suddenly Olaudah has the final say grin grin grin

Well u can keep believing in ur fantasy that Benin was larger than Oyo...the outside world knows otherwise

I must have missed that. I type fast. It's been a while I read that book last. Now, the gulf of guinea extends from ghana to gabon, including both bight of bonny and bight of benin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Guinea

Now, their subjection to bini still doesn't prove that 'oyibo' came from 'bini'. The bini hardly imposed their language on any of their conquered groups and it was restricted to the people of bini and as language of discussion in the royal palace. There is little or no evidence to prove that because Olaudah's village was under the king of bini, therefore 'oyibo' was borrowed from bini when they hardly even knew bini nor spoke it as second language. Till today, binis would rather not teach you their language but want to learn yours.

Olaudah mentioned that his people referred to 'red men' as 'oyibo', meaning that the word was already flourishing amongst his people by that time or even before.

By the way, you are here debating a well-established academic proof of 'oyibo', don't you think you should be furnishing evidence of the earliest usage of 'oyinbo'? Isn't that common sense?? undecided

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 5:59pm On Mar 15, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. Don't mind these clowns.

Rather than debate the topic (which is obviously out of his depth) - he had to twist my words and allege that I denigrated his ethnic group, when I was clearly alluding to Edoworld (the website you cited). These folks are stark illiterates with pub-talks, after a few pints of cider. There's no point wasting precious time on them.

And you have got time debating the bigfrancis21 clown. His IQ should be below 70...folks stopped wasting time on him time ago.

You mean your couple of useless posts I have been reading? Who takes them serious anyway? I think it is your level of reasoning that can't step up to some higher one. One who can't simply pass a message across without adding insults, signs of an egotist with a fragile ego using insults to cover up his insecurity. Signs of low IQ indeed. wink

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by GentleToks(m): 6:34pm On Mar 15, 2015
gatiano:
I have been awake a longtime. what do we need to chat about? Besides, the way you made your comment is such that light skinned are meant to be glorified and thus not referred to the non-black.
I beg for forgiveness if i have thought contuary to what you meant.

You actually misconstrued my message but it's all good
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 6:54pm On Mar 15, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You mean your couple of useless posts I have been reading? Who takes them serious anyway? I think it is your level of reasoning that can't step up to some higher one. One who can't simply pass a message across without adding insults, signs of a egotist with a fragile ego using insults to cover up his insecurity. Signs of low IQ indeed. wink

Lol.

You actually crack me up. This is the last reply you'll ever get from me cos engaging you will reduce my IQ by ten folds. Dude, I'm not on ya level, and the first way to notice that is your constant use of wikipedia for reference(s) (something you do in all ya debates). Additionally, you can never make an argument, without attaching sentiments to it - and everything you posit is always banal and bereft of anything intellectually sound. Also, anyone with a decent knowledge of history (not wikipedia-educated dunderheads) can compare the simple contributions I made on this thread, to yours - and the difference is clear based on logic and historical facts.

Most of you see insults cos you lack basic reading and comprehension skills...and I don't get paid to teach folks how to read and comprehend on a forum. Get on my level (that's if you'll ever have the cerebral capacity to get there). Then again, I'm British, and a villager will always get lost in translation whenever I speak. My bad for the language barrier lol.

Lest I forget: you write poorly as well. I'd wager that you can't be older than 21 based on ya thought process. You're far beneath me.

Bye Felicia. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 7:53pm On Mar 15, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol.

You actually crack me up. This is the last reply you'll ever get from me cos engaging you will reduce my IQ by ten folds. Dude, I'm not on ya level, and the first way to notice that is your constant use of wikipedia for reference(s) (something you do in all ya debates). Additionally, you can never make an argument, without attaching sentiments to it - and everything you posit is always banal and bereft of anything intellectually sound. Also, anyone with a decent knowledge of history (not wikipedia-educated dunderheads) can compare the simple contributions I made on this thread, to yours - and the difference is clear based on logic and historical facts.

Most of you see insults cos you lack basic reading and comprehension skills...and I don't get paid to teach folks how to read and comprehend on a forum. Get on my level (that's if you'll ever have the cerebral capacity to get there). Then again, I'm British, and a villager will always get lost in translation whenever I speak. My bad for the language barrier lol.

Lest I forget: you write poorly as well. I'd wager that you can't be older than 21 based on ya thought process. You're far beneath me.

Bye Felicia. undecided

LOL! I'm much older than you think! grin

Well, some articles on wikipedia are well-researched, tagged as 'good articles' and locked to edits by outsiders except with citations, take for example the article on igbo people on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people, look at upper right hand side, hover your mouse over the '+' sign in green), or the article on Nigeria, or USA (notice the padlock sign on the upper right hand side). These pages are constantly on guard and are edited only with verifiable links. And, some articles on wikipedia lack integrity, and you can tell from the often poor use of English used by the 'writer'.

As one of british citizenship, some level of decency and objectivity is expected of you but you exhibit a mentality of a villager uncivilized in most of his ways.

A little assignment for you, now compare the page on Igbo people:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people

With Yoruba people:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_people

One article is flagged as 'better' article than the other. You go figure it out. wink
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 7:58pm On Mar 15, 2015
macof:

Same u find in Baba

In addition, O ba is an inference from 'ba' which means to lord/sit/cover/control. Just like we say adiye sa'ba, (hen sitting on eggs to hatch).

O ba - eni to o ba (a person who + any of lord/sit/cover/control).

Oba is not native to Edo, only a fraudster and dishonest person would out of sheer mischief (could also be prejudice or ignorance) ascribe a known borrowed word to Edo.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply)

White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) / Alaafin Of Oyo Or Sijuade Of Ife / 200-Year-Old Crocodile Showcased At Ero Okeliwo Festival In Ogun (Photos)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 202
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.