Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,752 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

The Kalām Cosmological Argument - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Kalām Cosmological Argument (23352 Views)

A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . / Atheists Come And See: The Most Powerful Argument For The Existence Of God / Does GOD Exist? "The Cosmological Argument" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Nobody: 2:21pm On Mar 13, 2015
Whoever proposed this argument is clearly not a nuclear physicist.

2 Likes

Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Joshthefirst(m): 7:11pm On Mar 13, 2015
ooman:

Infinity qualifies something, not itself.

A thing may be said to exist for infinity, but infinity cannot be said to exist for infinity.

Infinity is abstract, nonexistent when nothing exists.

So infinity by itself is nothing.

Else you'd be holding the block view of time, which is pathetic.
Sorry, but no one ever claims the source is abstract. Let me put forward at least one parameter to qualify the uncaused cause: Energy. The Personality of origin possesses infinite energy. Omnipotence.(wrt our universe of course).
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Joshthefirst(m): 7:15pm On Mar 13, 2015
Kay17:

Infinity can be in relation of numbers or any quantity. By in this circumstance, it is being used in relation to time. Hope you get me?
And in this instance The Source is said to be timeless in relation to time. Unchanging.
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by ooman(m): 7:18pm On Mar 13, 2015
Joshthefirst:
Sorry, but no one ever claims the source is abstract. Let me put forward at least one parameter to qualify the uncaused cause: Energy. The Personality of origin possesses infinite energy. Omnipotence.(wrt our universe of course).

what is energy?
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by davien(m): 7:40pm On Mar 13, 2015
Joshthefirst:
You do realise that infinite energy equals infinite entropy/disorder right?
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Joshthefirst(m): 7:46pm On Mar 13, 2015
undercat:

Yes, something currently exists. However, everything could also not have existed. That's what I mean when I say nothingness is a possibility.
And I say that the fact that something currently exists throws away the possibility of nothingness. The fact that something currently exists shows that something always existed, because nothing cannot create something.

undercat: The "ancient energy" you call God. I'm merely trying to show you that it could just as well not be "God".
OK.

undercat: I thing you are just repeating yourself here, that eternity=personality.
OK. Let's take things one by one. I say the source is personal, because only volition can cause our universe to be birthed from eternity.

undercat: I'm trying to say that spacetime can be eternal. That would invalidate the argument.
But Space-time has been shown to have a physical origin. So it cannot be eternal.

undercat: I couldn't understand you here. Could you explain a bit?
I mean you have to show the creator of this universe is not timeless and spaceless before you can say the creator might have been created, as a timeless and spaceless creator is uncreated.

undercat: Perhaps the singularity is inherently unstable. Perhaps this universe is one of the possible states of the singularity. These are options.
This universe has an origin. Hence it is not a transition of state.
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Joshthefirst(m): 7:48pm On Mar 13, 2015
ooman:

what is energy?
Energy is the ability to do work. Potential.
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Joshthefirst(m): 7:50pm On Mar 13, 2015
davien:
You do realise that infinite energy equals infinite entropy/disorder right?
Not in this instance. Here I purport a personality behind energy.
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by davien(m): 7:51pm On Mar 13, 2015
Joshthefirst:
Not in this instance. Here I purport a personality behind energy.
why? and how does this logically follow?
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Joshthefirst(m): 7:58pm On Mar 13, 2015
davien:
why? and how does this logically follow?
Volition is the only reason that can account for something like our universe existing.
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by davien(m): 8:01pm On Mar 13, 2015
Joshthefirst:
Volition is the only reason that can account for something like our universe existing.
And you came up with that conclusion how? How does one recognize an act of volition?
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by ooman(m): 8:25pm On Mar 13, 2015
Joshthefirst:
Energy is the ability to do work. Potential.

Are you in primary school?

Once again, what is energy?

1 Like

Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by undercat: 9:12pm On Mar 13, 2015
Joshthefirst:
And I say that the fact that something currently exists throws away the possibility of nothingness. The fact that something currently exists shows that something always existed, because nothing cannot create something.

I don't mean that there was actually a time when nothing existed. What I mean is that reality could have turned out differently such that there would have been nothing at all, instead of the richness we have now. I'm saying that I don't see the necessity of anything existing, that is, I sometimes wonder why there should be anything at all. You can only rule out the possibility of nothingness if you have the answer to that question.

OK. Let's take things one by one. I say the source is personal, because only volition can cause our universe to be birthed from eternity.

I don't think volition is the only option. Like I said the universe could have been unstable as a singularity. Even physicists will tell you that physical laws breakdown in a singularity. A state in which laws have broken down is far from stable, if you ask me. Of course this is just my lay person's view.

But Space-time has been shown to have a physical origin. So it cannot be eternal.

Now you're assuming that nothing physical can be eternal.

I mean you have to show the creator of this universe is not timeless and spaceless before you can say the creator might have been created, as a timeless and spaceless creator is uncreated.

My point is that you cannot show anything about what exists outside this universe. There could be time and space out there, or there couldn't. How are you to know, one way or the other? I don't think space and time have any feature that limits their appearance to this universe.

2 Likes

Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Nobody: 10:08pm On Mar 13, 2015
Acknowledging the existence of quantum fluctuations should have closed this thread long time ago undecided

4 Likes

Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Kay17: 1:32am On Mar 14, 2015
Joshthefirst:
And in this instance The Source is said to be timeless in relation to time. Unchanging.

And I'm saying, if it is timeless, it cannot be infinite at the same time.

1 Like

Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by EvilBrain1(m): 12:16pm On Mar 14, 2015
Deleted. Double post.

1 Like

Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by EvilBrain1(m): 12:17pm On Mar 14, 2015
@OP

Look, [url=wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Kalam]the Kalam argument has been thoroughly debunked on multiple levels[/url]. First, it starts with a faulty premise ("all things that begin to exist have a cause." Says who?). It conflates concepts that are totally different: The universe didn't begin to exist in the same way planets, trees and pencils do. Planets, trees and pencils are rearrangements of previously existing stuff, which is not neccesarily true of the universe. It makes conclusions that dont follow from the logic: why does the cause have to be personal? And even if it is, why just one? Why not 2, or 10? Why not a race of powerful suprradimensional space aliens? And why do they have to be timeless and unchanging? Why can't they have their own time? Is it even possible for a timeless being to create anything? How does it see and learn and react to things without changing, without time?

Of course even of Kalam was airtight (its not) it still wouldnt matter because all it is is proof by logic. Religious apologists like to think that they can prove god exists simply by constructing a fancy argument, which is simply not true. Theory is not enough, you need to be able to demonstrate your god via observation or experiment. Otherwise its just like arguing about who would win in a fight, Voltron or Optimus Prime. No matter who wins, the conclusion is ultimately meaningless until you can show that both of them exist in the real world.

Any argument that cannot be settled by experiment is not worth discussing - Newton's flaming laser sword.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by EvilBrain1(m): 1:24pm On Mar 14, 2015
^^^In case anybody is wondering, the answer is Voltron, obviously.

2 Likes

Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Nobody: 4:47pm On Mar 14, 2015
EvilBrain1:
^^^In case anybody is wondering, the answer is Voltron, obviously.

oya, who would win between voltron and gypsy danger?
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by EvilBrain1(m): 6:49pm On Mar 14, 2015
oyb:

oya, who would win between voltron and gypsy danger?

Voltron again.

First of all, Voltron can fight as 5 separate autonomous units giving him a huge tactical advantage over most other giant robots (except for combiners like Superion and Omega Prime). Plus each of Voltron's lions specialize in a different environment (underwater, boiling lava, etc) giving him a versatility that Gipsy Danger can only dream of.

Even if you force Voltron to fight only as his combined form, he'll still be far stronger. For one he's bigger (each individual lion is almost as tall as the castle), he has better ranged weapons (shoulder missiles, lasers and flaming breath versus Gipsy Danger's admittedly powerful pulse launcher and plasmacaster). Also, while both of them can sword fight, Voltron's flaming sword can cut through metal, meaning that GD can't parry with his dual chain swords. Not being able to parry means GD would have to rely on dodging Voltron's sword attacks and no Jaeger is that fast or nimble.

The fact is that Voltron is simply on another level compared to all other known giant robots. There is simply no contest. If say it was Optimus Prime vs Gipsy Danger, it'll be a much closer fight. Optimus would win though.

2 Likes

Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Nobody: 8:01pm On Mar 14, 2015
EvilBrain1:

Voltron again.

First of all, Voltron can fight as 5 separate autonomous units giving him a huge tactical advantage over most other giant robots (except for combiners like Superion and Omega Prime). Plus each of Voltron's lions specialize in a different environment (underwater, boiling lava, etc) giving him a versatility that Gipsy Danger can only dream of.

Even if you force Voltron to fight only as his combined form, he'll still be far stronger. For one he's bigger (each individual lion is almost as tall as the castle), he has better ranged weapons (shoulder missiles, lasers and flaming breath versus Gipsy Danger's admittedly powerful pulse launcher and plasmacaster). Also, while both of them can sword fight, Voltron's flaming sword can cut through metal, meaning that GD can't parry with his dual chain swords. Not being able to parry means GD would have to rely on dodging Voltron's sword attacks and no Jaeger is that fast or nimble.

The fact is that Voltron is simply on another level compared to all other known giant robots. There is simply no contest. If say it was Optimus Prime vs Gipsy Danger, it'll be a much closer fight. Optimus would win though.

For l his might voltron has one sick weakness. Disrupt the integration process and you have him in a corner. One robeast with a metal cutting sword nearly had him if not for
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by EvilBrain1(m): 9:45pm On Mar 14, 2015
voltron:

For l his might voltron has one sick weakness. Disrupt the integration process and you have him in a corner. One robeast with a metal cutting sword nearly had him if not for

But in a real fight, youll never get that chance since theres no reason to ever form Voltron. Individually, the 5 lions are faster, more maneuverable and can use a far wider range of attack strategies. Plus aside from the sword, they have access to more or less the same weapons. 5 weaker units are almost always tactically superior to one strong one.

In real life, the only time they'd form Voltron is for parades and for photos with the president of the Galactic Alliance, never in battle.

1 Like

Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Nobody: 10:05pm On Mar 14, 2015
we can always fry voltrons circuits with an emp and take him out. remeber gypsy is erm 'analog'. ah what am i saying? voltron is from the eighties when almost everything in the future was still analog.

i need to fish out that giant robot scaling comparison from makeuseof/nerd approved
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Nobody: 12:30am On Mar 15, 2015
I can't believe this thread just turned into a giant robot death-match.

Megas XLR dey look una oh.
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Nobody: 1:26am On Mar 15, 2015

2 Likes

Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by wiegraf: 3:09am On Mar 16, 2015
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by wiegraf: 3:59am On Mar 16, 2015
DProDG:
I can't believe this thread just turned into a giant robot death-match.

Megas XLR dey look una oh.

At least when one discuses giant robohs, one is usually discussing the good guys. When speculating on yahweh (in particular) one is speculating (and usually praising, if you're judeoxtian) a monster. Indeed, when discussing yahweh's powah levels, one ought to compare him with villains, eg Skeletor, Bluto, Megatron, Mojojojo (granted that's not fair on Mojo, as he's nowhere near yahweh on the evil scale) etc

1 Like

Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Nobody: 4:22am On Mar 16, 2015
wiegraf:

At least when one discuses giant robohs, one is usually discussing the good guys. When speculating on yahweh (in particular) one is speculating (and usually praising, if you're judeoxtian) a monster. Indeed, when discussing yahweh's powah levels, one ought to compare him with villains, eg Skeletor, Bluto, Megatron, Mojojojo (granted that's not fair on Mojo, as he's nowhere near yahweh on the evil scale) etc

Wow...you're a real 90s kid. Cartoon network did you bad grin

1 Like

Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by Joshthefirst(m): 7:33am On Mar 27, 2015
EvilBrain1:
@OP

Look, [url=wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Kalam]the Kalam argument has been thoroughly debunked on multiple levels[/url]. First, it starts with a faulty premise ("all things that begin to exist have a cause." Says who?). It conflates concepts that are totally different: The universe didn't begin to exist in the same way planets, trees and pencils do. Planets, trees and pencils are rearrangements of previously existing stuff, which is not neccesarily true of the universe. It makes conclusions that dont follow from the logic: why does the cause have to be personal? And even if it is, why just one? Why not 2, or 10? Why not a race of powerful suprradimensional space aliens? And why do they have to be timeless and unchanging? Why can't they have their own time? Is it even possible for a timeless being to create anything? How does it see and learn and react to things without changing, without time?

Of course even of Kalam was airtight (its not) it still wouldnt matter because all it is is proof by logic. Religious apologists like to think that they can prove god exists simply by constructing a fancy argument, which is simply not true. Theory is not enough, you need to be able to demonstrate your god via observation or experiment. Otherwise its just like arguing about who would win in a fight, Voltron or Optimus Prime. No matter who wins, the conclusion is ultimately meaningless until you can show that both of them exist in the real world.

Any argument that cannot be settled by experiment is not worth discussing - Newton's flaming laser sword.
Thanks for derailing my thread.
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by EvilBrain1(m): 2:18pm On Mar 27, 2015
Joshthefirst:
Thanks for derailing my thread.

The central premise of your thread has been comprehensively debunked both here and elsewhere. The fact that so far no one from your camp has has attempted to rebutt my last (on topic) post is effectively a concession. If you have any more fallacious logic for us to shoot down, nobody is stopping you from posting it.

In the mean time, you cant really blame others for moving on to more pressing issues. You'll thank us next time Earth is attacked.

1 Like

Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by gatiano(m): 4:58pm On Mar 27, 2015
Good writeup. But what do you mean by an uncaused creator?
The creator has a cause and reason to create the universe, and the universe has a cause and a mission so does every atom within it.
Who would you say the source of all things are or is?
Joshthefirst:
Everything that begins to exist has a cause;
The universe began to exist;
Therefore:
The universe has a cause.

From the conclusion of the initial syllogism, we can put forward the next part

The universe has a cause;
If the universe has a cause, then an uncaused, personal Creator of the universe exists, who sans the universe is beginningless, changeless, immaterial, timeless, spaceless and enormously powerful;
Therefore:
An uncaused, personal Creator of the universe exists, who sans the universe is beginningless, changeless, immaterial, timeless, spaceless and enormously powerful.

Before I was aware of this argument I had a bit of thought on causes and origins and arrived at the same conclusion of the character and basic nature of the Source of all things.
Re: The Kalām Cosmological Argument by EvilBrain1(m): 7:07pm On Apr 05, 2015
@Joshthefirst

Watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDdiCYTK160

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Frank Edwards: 'Jesus Is Interested In That Soul You Are Praying To Die By Fire' / What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? / 10 Reasons Why You Should Go To Church!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.