Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,174 members, 7,811,418 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:13 AM

What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? (23351 Views)

Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? / Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? / What Is The True Sabbath Day, Saturday Or Sunday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by amarachi: 9:49pm On Feb 20, 2006
theres been a misunderstanding about that, i go to church on saturdays but why did it change to sunday?
Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by choiceA: 11:08pm On Feb 20, 2006
Well, let me ask:

what day is the seventh day?;
what day is the first day of the week?
what day is the Lord's day? (see Rev. 1:10)

Perhaps these verses could be a bit helpful:

1. "Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils." (Mark 16:9; see also John 20:19)
2. "And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight." (Act 20:7)
3. "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come." (1Co 16:2).

Jesus rose on the first day of the week, and the disciples' normal Christian worship activity seemed to have been held on that day. The key is finding what day corresponds to 'the first day' of the week - and I think that falls on Sunday. I should also note that the day we gather is not really the paramount thing about our faith (Christians being persecuted in some Islamic and communist countries gather on some other days during the week, and the Lord is showing His hand of blessing strong upon them). Every day is special to God, but we ought not focus our worship to the day itself - but on the Lord (see Gal.4:9-11).

Perhaps, the topic of this thread should read: "Got questions about your faith in Christ?" or "Christianity: wondering about those questions?" so that the thread doesn't just die out after a short time. This could help Christians who have other questions besides the one above to get answers from contributors visiting this page. You may wish to review it, perhaps? smiley

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by Free(f): 8:51pm On Feb 27, 2006
theres been a misunderstanding about that, i go to church on saturdays but why did it change to sunday?

i think you should go and ask your church pastor, am sure he got some information about that
Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by TYPOP(m): 9:18pm On Mar 24, 2006
See, it depends on your definition of the word sabbath because it is all from Ex 20. 'rememberthe sabbth day to keep it holy'. Define the sabbath day you are free.
Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by Layemi(f): 6:12pm On Mar 25, 2006
Basically, i feel the right day to go to church is on Sunday. The reason why this is so because,Jesus christ resurrected on a sunday.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by Jackie24: 5:22am On Mar 29, 2006
Do not make a problem out of something not meant to be a problem. The sabbath was created for man not man for the sabbath. A special day set asside for Jesus is a special set asside for Jesus. You think God on judgement day will care whether you said a prayer on a saterday instead of sunday. If there was a right day, the church would not open on saterdaY
Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by Johnny(m): 11:51am On Apr 03, 2006
Jesus Christ, while He was in the world, did not set any day aside for worship as He was seen daily doing His father's work. But He kept the Sabbath day (Saturday) holy as instructed by God Himself. Now, when He died, He resurrected on Sunday, the reason why Christians go to church on Sundays to worship God. But the Sabbath day is a holy day unto the Lord God. If Jesus had resurrected on this day, the Sabbath day, Saturday, would have been a better day to go to church, even though Jesus did not leave any instruction that we must worship God on the day He resurrected.
Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by Ndipe(m): 9:41pm On Apr 09, 2006
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come, Colossians 2:16-17

With the above Biblical Chapter/Verses, you can either worship God on Sunday or Saturday. I choose Sunday over Saturday though. If anybody argues with you on your mode of worship, be quick to quote Colossians 2: 16-17
Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by Zahymaka(m): 9:48pm On Apr 09, 2006
Sunday was a day set aside for the worship of the Sun in many places. Early missionaries discovered that "converted" people still worshipped the Sun on Sundays. By changing the sabbath to Sunday, instead of worshipping the Sun, they worshipped God.

A Roman Festival was also celebrated on December 25. Some strange customs from the pagan festival have been passed down -- like burning of a Yule Log and the Christmas tree.
Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by TYPOP(m): 10:48am On Apr 10, 2006
See, its not the going to church that is really the matter but what you do in the church. It's about worshipping God and that should be done at all times. Don't forget that we are the temple of the living God.
Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by TV01(m): 11:32am On Apr 10, 2006
Church is not something you "go to", church is something "you are". Wherever the called out ones gather or meet is church. So if two (or three) happen to meet at a bus stop, the gym or at the supermarked and exhortation, edification and comforting (worship even!) take place, guess what? church just happened.

Acts 2:46 - So continuing daily[/b] with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart,

Acts 2:47 - praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily[b]
those who were being saved.

Acts 5:42 - And daily[/b] in the temple, and in every house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.

Acts 16:5 - So the churches were strengthened in the faith, and increased in number daily[b]

Church is everday and everywhere. It's without walls.

Be Church!

God bless
Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by pilgrim1(f): 4:17pm On Aug 08, 2007
@topic,

Don't let the observance of days be the definitive substance of your faith in Christ.

"But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain." (Gal. 4:9-11).

We were never asked as a specific command to go to Church on any specific day. It would seem that Christians mostly recognized the first day of the week as bearing a special significance in their activities (I Cor. 16:2). However, liberty is given in the Body of Christ concerning what days we choose to regard as special to the Lord --

"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks." (Rom. 14:5 & 6).

What is more important to the Christian is not the day; rather, it is the Lord Himself and our worship and service to Him that matter more.
Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by IDINRETE: 12:50am On Sep 06, 2007
Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by cgift(m): 12:10pm On Sep 06, 2007
idinrete,

the infidels have becom ur pasttime now. Do not be caught off-guard. there is more to life than meets the eyes
Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by IDINRETE: 12:28pm On Sep 06, 2007
cgift:

idinrete,

the infidels have becom your pasttime now. Do not be caught off-guard. there is more to life than meets the eyes

the Infidels, why not?
caught off-guard from what?
Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by andrewcd: 9:01pm On May 25, 2013
[Gen 1-2 When god finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. And God Blessed it and made it holy.] I think the only reason man switched to Sunday was because Jesus rose from the dead, but your missing the real message. He died for our sins so we could have a chance to be free as well, and he rested on the Sabbath just like God did when he created the earth. I'm not sure where man lost their way but its not hard to understand when you look it up for yourselves.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by Gumer12: 12:33pm On Jun 23, 2018
We Christian really have to be wise and do the will of God. Some body said it was the law of Moses but the law comes from God. Jesus Christ only dead for our sin and not to change the law. Because Jesus knew that we humans are stubborn that’s why he said something in the book of Mathew 5:17 and 18, that’s said:Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but to fulfill.+ 18 Truly I say to you that sooner would heaven and earth pass away than for one smallest letter or one stroke of a letter to pass away from the Law until all things take place.... the rightful day to go to service is Saturday.. because the week starts on Sunday. Some Christianity are acting like inetrate. Not reading the bible everyday is the issue but understanding what you are reading. Note this that we humans can not chose the day to serve God but our self but listen to the bible always.
Re: What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? by Gumer12: 12:43pm On Jun 23, 2018
In Mathew 12:8 it was said, For the Son of man is Lord of the Sabbath.... Jesus Christ always keep the sabbath day Because is a heavenly law to all mankind... please my brother and sister Saturday is the day of service because it was so special to God that he made a great creation on earth.

(1) (Reply)

The Scientific Facts: The Biblical Evidence / Cleric Sues Member For Asking Return Of Car Gift After Failed Prophecy / 5 Easy Steps To Debunking The Quran (for Christians, Atheists, Agnostics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.