Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,306 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:36 AM

A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. (1347 Views)

Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business / Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! / Understanding Timing In Job Search In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by ooofreezy(m): 7:55am On Mar 14, 2015
Am new in this writing stuff and as a result I might make some mistakes pls correction is allowed.
thanksss.....

The 16th day of october was one of the greatest day of my life, haven't finished serving my father's land.
I thought that what people say about job hunting was a mere exageration of the nigerian job market! Not until I was made to see things exactly the way they appear.

My first interview was in an insurance company, that was few days after POP so I preapared myself for the interview.
On getting to the venue of the interview somewhere around ikeja, I was made to wait at the reception for about 30mins before I was been attended to.

On getting to the small office were the interview was supposed to take place I waited for the interviewer to ask me to sit before I could, because of some of the things I read about been asked to sit before you can sit so I waited for him to ask me to. you know so many of us read lots of things about an interview some of which are actually true while some are just mere falacies.

To cut the story short the interviewer requested for my resume, after checking it he asked me if I will be able to do the job and I said yes! But unknown to me I never bother asking him about the nature of the job. Then he went ahead to tell me I won't be paid salary and that how will I be able to cope with it? And I was like what Work for free and untop of that I will be using my little alawee change for transport I said in my mind this man must be a joker!
So the man told me not to worry that within 3months I will be earning close to like 250k per month if I am willing to sacrifice my time and money.

He said, I have been working in this company for close to 10years now and no organisation can pay me. At that point I had already lost my patience and all the fear and anxiety about interview had already left me all I could thought of then was this man should just shut up and let me leave this place.

He was looking so unkept with pot belly and his blue shirt was not even ironed, and he's talking shit that no organisation can pay him blah! blah!!.

Finally, I left the office to a bar to sip a bottle of origin to calm my nerves. On getting home I shared my experience with my mum and I saw this huge disappointment on her face and I told her mum don't worry it is well.

I called my gf to tell her what my eyes saw and what my ears heard, she couldn't help it but laugh and I got infuriated the more and I had to drop the call.

My second experience was a GNLD interview somewhere around surulere in lagos, that was about a week later and I had to just attend "as per fresh graduate wey blood still dey hot". I dressed corprate as usual and that fateful day I spent close to 1k on transport.

On getting to the venue of the interview, I saw a lady outside the gate probably she's the one directing people inside and she asked me are you here for the interview? and I said yes!
So she directed me inside and the compound.

I meet the security man who was handling the attendance list, and he said write your name and phone number on the register and I did.

I went inside the so called "interview room" and I met about 35 people there sitting down and were corprately dressed. I looked around the interview room and something was telling me this place looks like a scam house, even the fan in the room were not working and we were all sweating like christmas goat!.

After a while, they served us question paper and in the question paper was quantitative and verbal reasoning. We were given 30mins to solve the questions and within me I felt that YES! this is a real interview.

But to my greatest surprise, after the test a lady walked in and asked us to write one million,hundred thousand and one in roman numerals. And I was like what the fvck!!! After writing nonesense we submitted it! Few minutes later they announced the none of us got the correct answer of the roman nmerals we were asked! Except one lady was close but she didn't get the answer.

To cut the story short, the same lady came back to give us what they call briefing which eventually turned to lecture. We were there for about 4hours and she was still talking and I whispered to a guy beside me who I didn't even know he also "pondering what am pondering" like brain will tell pinky in that popular cartoon those days while we were growing up..

To be continued.....

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by ignis: 7:58am On Mar 14, 2015
Following. ..

Sits down , Grabs popcorn and Lacasera. ...
Re: A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by Badgers14: 8:18am On Mar 14, 2015
Pitch my tent .

Wait i dey come .....Arranging my garri + milk + big groundnuts + cold water. cool
Re: A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by seunkeji5(f): 8:33am On Mar 14, 2015
i can't help but lafff. May God help the youth of Nigerian. job search na hmmmmmmmm
Re: A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by Nobody: 8:56am On Mar 14, 2015
Lolz...abeg make me sef follow cheesy
Re: A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by vintino(m): 10:25am On Mar 14, 2015
grin grin shocked
Re: A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by betty28: 12:03pm On Mar 14, 2015
honestly, I can't stop rolling on the floor. Nigeria sha.......hmmmm, it is well oo
Re: A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by ooofreezy(m): 12:14pm On Mar 14, 2015
Continuation.......

After the whole briefing the lady said: my MD is coming to address you! And then she strolls out with her tiny a$$.

Few minutes later, a lady walk in from one of the rooms and identified her self as the MD. All I could see was a hot igbo lady in a mini skirt in front of us! And I shouted within me chineke!!! See as MD hot!

I looked to my left and the other guy looked at me and smiled, little did I know that the MD noticed that I was staring at her thighs. Our eyes met and I did as if it was nothing!

After introducing herself, she asked one of her staffs if some of her stuffs could be projected to give us a clear picture of was she was trying to paint but unfortunately, the projector was bad and she was forced to get some pictures from her office.

On getting back she shared some of her old pictures of how she and her mother travelled to dubai while selling GNLD products and how the company has helped her to travel around the world. As if that was not enough she also narrated her job hunting stories too. How her former boss sexually abused her because of the N8000 chicken change she was being paid and all the other story "wey follow" to atleast convince us to join GNLD.

After her sermon, she said how many of you want me to train you? And almost everybody raised their hands including me (make e no be like say I be the judas among us).
I will train you for 3 weeks and after that you will be your own boss! "Like paly like play I don spend like 6hours ontop wetin"?? So she went ahead by saying we are to pay 8k for registration and that we have to deposit atleast half of the money to show that we are serious. All I could hear in my head was Scam alert BEWARE!!
The lady said if you don't have cash that's not a problem we have POS machine here also.. Na there my eyes open finally! POS ke?? For this place!! that was when it dawned on me that there's nothing nigerian graduate eye no dey see and nothing nigerians no fit do to make moni! The only thing they did not do that day was to point a gun at us just to collect licence money.

Some gullible ones among us also drop their deposit and some use POS too, me wey be say my t-fair reach my house never complete sef wia I wan see 4k to deposit?? To cut the story short I left there regretting why I honoured the invitation for the interview in the first place.

NB: before you go for any interview at all, pls google the address of the company. Google is ur friend.

Three months after NYSC still no job, "alawee don finish" and something keeps singing that D prince song in my head OYO (on your own) chaiii water don pass garri!!!

I attend couple of seminars just to connect with people that could offer me job but all to no avail. I could recall one of the seminars I attend on the island at oriental hotel where a lot of dignitaries were present but before you say jack job hunters "don gather dem like fly wey see shit" but I never gave up I kept on applying.

Submitted my CV's to various company online but yet no show not until finally I got another invite form another insurance coy, but this time around it was a better than the first coy. I attended the interview for the post of a marketing executive, after the interview I was then called for a training few days later.

Training day! I dressed up as usual heading towards d company somewhere around isolo, on getting to the venue the gate was not open so I have to wait outside with some other applicants too. Finally, the trainers and the staffs of the coy arrived. And we were ushered into the training room.

The room was so cold that my stomach started shaking! "This one na cold room ooO" I told my self when I no be fish for christ sake! Some of us complained and they had to put off one of the air conditioners.

After the first half of the lecture they served us snacks and tea, I said to my self: shuo! Even if I no go come again make I chop this one enjoy myself.
After d tea break training continued and I was so carried away by their words, may it was because of the tea they served us that convinced me that way I couldn't phantom what the reason might have been.

As if that wasn't enough they brought us lunch, and guess what?? They gave us an option to choose from; (a) rice and chicken (b) pounded yam and better chicken also.
So I settled for a option (b) make my t-fair no waste for nothing..

To be continued......

Pls don't only read, you can also comment. "Constructive criticism" is allowed. Thanks

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by Olutola88(m): 12:28pm On Mar 14, 2015
WTF! From frying pan to fire. OP, dem don get you.

As I take my eyes see: “My second experience was with GNLD”, I laugh so tey my sis dey ask weda everything dey aiit.
Re: A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by ElDeeVee(m): 12:37pm On Mar 14, 2015
Am I d only one thinking dis is for d gods?

just kidding, I'm enjoying it , oya continue b4 I change my mind
Re: A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by Olutola88(m): 12:43pm On Mar 14, 2015
If you've never gone through GNLD recruitment process, then you've NOT seen anything as a job seeker.

I went through my one & only GNLD hiring process about 2 months after university final exams( just b4 NYSC).

GNLD recruitment process is the only recruitment where every applicant will pass test and interview( regardless of how dumb). In fact, the dumbest always perform best.

GNLD don't have maximum capacity. They are ready to hire the whole of china.

Only GNLD recruitment will make you pay even after getting and accepting an offer from them.

I didn't regret the time and money I spent that day cos I experienced something new and I saw another reason 2 make me believe Nigerian is a state of Bisma Pisma *lmao*

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by ooofreezy(m): 12:57pm On Mar 14, 2015
@olutola88 I couldn't agree less with what you said earlier! Experience is d best teacher and I can tell you right now that I have learnt a lot.

@eldeevee to be continued shortly....

Hit like to encourage!
Its not easy using mobile to type all this stuffs.
Re: A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by ooofreezy(m): 2:23pm On Mar 14, 2015
The concluding story......

After a plate of pounded yam and a bottle of coke I was so weak that I could hadly get up from my seat. So we were later paired with a partner and my partner was a lady who has been in the company for God knows when! and she still keep asking questions that even we the newcomers would not even ask! So I felt it seems this lady does not understand the product knowledge. That choice of a partner I was given discouraged me because even if am to work with her am sure I won't make shi shi before I leave that company the reason been that
1.She's not the pretty type and in marketing u will really need a pretty face that's if you know what I mean??
2.She does not have the product knowledge.
So i left the office after my training and I went straight home with the thought of how will I be able to cope with this type of lady??

The following monday I left my house for office, guys on my street who saw me corporately dressed on a monday morning would have thought that this "this guy don get work" when I'm finish?? That was the question on their mind. On getting to the office we had morning devotion briefly before the meeting.

The meeting started shortly after the devotion and a man who is more like a motivational speaker started with some nice speeches and those speeches were so captivating and I had concluded that this is where I will make my money either the devil likes it or not.

After the speech they called some of the old staffs to project some of the product for us, and soon it got to my turn and I was called upon to project another newcomer that we attended the training together. The lady was a pretty one with a small tatoo on a wrist, And I could do was to stare at her hot thighs that I almost got carried away when she was projecting me.

Soon all became history as I got a call form brother's gf who help me to register with a consultant in ibadan that I should come for an interview where I was made to pay 2k for registration. initially I refused but they made it look like the position I applied for was vacant and if I don't act fast I will loose the job. So I paid the 2k and the 2 interviewer conducted an interview for me where I was asked about my proficiency in computer and I showed them how good I was by making use of the computer in their office to work on ms excel. After all this I travelled to ibadan where their office was upto 3 times just to hear one story or the other but unknown to me that these people too are scammers who have been scamming the nigerian graduate since time immemorial. I will mention their office for the sake of others so as not to fall into the same pit I fell.
Their address is at Bode kumapayi str iwo road in ibadan.

The only company they send people to is an agricultural company in ibadan, and they will not follow it up. They are just there scamming people of their hard earned money!. As that was not enough you see people come from all the way from PH, abuja just to attend their scam interview.

I came back to lagos regretting while I allowed myself to have been deceived by some idiots!

Finally, as God will have it! I was called for another interview in a reputable organisation weeks later.
And on the day of the interview it rained heavily that I was scared I was going to miss the interview. I had to board a "keke napep" from my house to the express where I will take a bike heading towards my direction.

On getting down from the bike a car on high speed splashed water that was in one of the pot holes on my white shirt, Jeez I shouted!!! before I know it my white shirt that I carefully starched and ironed for the that interview was in a complete mess! And Its already late I can't go back home and change. I quickly entered the office, luckily for me I was the first applicant there so I had to rush to the toilet so i could atleast clean the stain on my shirt.
So I cleaned the shirt with the help of my handkerchief and the hand wash in the toilet. the stain didn't leave completely but atleast its better than before!

After a while people started coming in for the interview and about 45mins later they gave us a written test to answer. After cracking and cracking my brain for some of the difficult vocabulary inside the test I heard the pretty lady saying time is up!

I submitted my answer sheet and they asked us to wait for the oral part of the interview. Being the first person to arrive at the venue my name came up as the first person to be interviewed, so I followed the sexy secretary to the interview room. On getting there I met 2 pretty lady who started bombarding me with questions.
I answered all their questions and one of the pretty lady now asked me; what do you know about this company??
So I started downloading everything I have read about the company and then she busted into laughter mistakenly and she said I am sorry but I was shocked at the extent at which you have crammed all our information. So after I left the office on my way home I began to think how nice it would be to work with such firm and the job was a sweet one!
So 2weeks later I got an email from the same firm that I should come for the final interview and I was happy I knew I have made a first good impression on the ladies the first time. So I went for the final assessment and I was told that I can go that they will get back to me. On my way home I saw their mail congratulating me that I have got the job and that I should resume next week for training! I was so happy that my job search misery has finally ended!

Lesson; never give up on your dreams and continue to believe in yourself! My perseverance paid off finally...!

#finallyGODWIN

12 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by ednut1(m): 7:13pm On Mar 14, 2015
funny as F***
Re: A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by saxwizard(m): 9:20pm On Mar 14, 2015
I think I gained sumtin thanks Op
Re: A Nairalander's Job Search Diary. by Nobody: 3:20am On Mar 15, 2015
Lol this GNLD have different strategies o. They never cease to amaze me o cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Vacancies At New Restaurant/lounge / Vixa Pharmaceutical Interview For Medical Representative / Vacancies In A Logistics Comapany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.