Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,928 members, 7,817,719 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch (34628 Views)

Throwback Photos Of When Jonathan Gave South-west Obas N50m Each (photos) / Adesola Amosu Declares War On South-south Militants,Orders Air Bombing Of Creeks / Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by watchmyback: 7:44am On Mar 15, 2015
Kudos to those obas that refused d money, & to those dt collected, u jst collected wht is due to us as yoruba, for GEJ marginalising d region for ds past years. 'Ema jeki won fi bredi Ko wa lomi obe je'. In d words of Oba of Lagos, 'my people ar wise, they knw whom to vote' WE VE DECIDED

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by temitemi1(m): 7:52am On Mar 15, 2015
prof,but u get the message! tongue tongue tongue
ManMountain:

Now I know why you don't write much before writing your GEJ till whatever nonsense, your written English is really poor.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by onatisi(m): 7:54am On Mar 15, 2015
Punch can write whatever rubbish they want. The crux of the matter is apc stronghold in the south west has been broken and whether online apc supporters like it or not,gej now carries 60% of the south west voters. While apc was busy foolishly doling out money to social media ppl ,pdp has gone to the grassroot people,those that have the pvcs ,the baales,the mogajis,and traditional cheifs ,people that controls voters and ppl and majority of them have sworn and pledge to kick apc out, all this coupled with that arrogant nature of apc governors in their respective state have made pdp and other parties in the south west the peoples choice. Adieu apc.
Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by handie(m): 8:03am On Mar 15, 2015
See the logic: If you take any amount of money and give to obas and other groups, that's stealing. Corruption is when Monies meant for everybody(SURE-P) is given to a select group of people who are PDP members. It's also can be defined as giving Ministerial Nominations to major players in election rigging. Hope ya'll can see there's a difference between Stealing and corruption tho Jona is both a theif and a corrupt fellow. Come on bro, share the money. How much you give Oba of Benin? Just know that Obas ain't got more than 1 vote and no Oba, i repeat no Oba can tell me who to vote for..... Even if he's my father

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by spott(m): 8:46am On Mar 15, 2015
onatisi:
Punch can write whatever rubbish they want. The crux of the matter is apc stronghold in the south west has been broken and whether online apc supporters like it or not,gej now carries 60% of the south west voters. While apc was busy foolishly doling out money to social media ppl ,pdp has gone to the grassroot people,those that have the pvcs ,the baales,the mogajis,and traditional cheifs ,people that controls voters and ppl and majority of them have sworn and pledge to kick apc out, all this coupled with that arrogant nature of apc governors in their respective state have made pdp and other parties in the south west the peoples choice. Adieu apc.

Be deceiving urself

16 Likes

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by holatin(m): 9:18am On Mar 15, 2015
no one should be surprised at this news

who don't know GEJ is d cheerful sharer since 4 weeks ago

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by siraj1402(m): 9:19am On Mar 15, 2015
I just got the message clearly,this man is a real clueless someone. How many PVC did obas have?Continue spending our money,your are still a failure come March 28.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by 867Y5309(m): 9:19am On Mar 15, 2015
Young Jonathan sat on a wall
Young Jonathan had a great fall
All the King's horses and all the king's men
Could not put Jonathan together again

10 Likes

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by bogolobango(m): 9:19am On Mar 15, 2015
Dis otueke thief don finish our money

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by Arsenella007(f): 9:20am On Mar 15, 2015
Where does these media houses get these figures from? Where is the proof? Or is it still part of the smear politics?
If this is true, then Mr Jonathan has totally lost it

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by egift(m): 9:21am On Mar 15, 2015
Only a Failure needs to bribe his way through.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by mazda: 9:22am On Mar 15, 2015
He has given you guy freedom of speech you can say anything and talk any how. But if you lied on the king in Yoruba land you miss it. because Ooni is not a beggar.
Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by Nobody: 9:22am On Mar 15, 2015
Just 100 like for our President GEJ.... APC members are free to like too but let it not pass 100 oooo...

GEJ till Tompolo turns pastor...
Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by holatin(m): 9:22am On Mar 15, 2015
temitemi1:
Punch, keep collecting ur brown evelop from gullible apc! I hope u pple dnt go the way of Dele Giwa. Useless newspaper supporting useless party! GEJ till punch nwespaper stop collecting brown envelop from apc!
u claim buhari is against freedom of press but you ate here treating them of the same thing that happen to dele giwa ?

isnt dat contradicting ?

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by vanilson(m): 9:22am On Mar 15, 2015
Talking about corruption not stealing,
The Federal Executive Council on Wednesday approved the purchase of N9.2billion worth of clean cook stoves and wonder bags for rural women under the National Clean Cooking Scheme.
Muhammed said the N9.2billion inclusive of Value Added Tax was approved for the procurement of 750,000 units of clean cook stove and 18,000 wonder bags.

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-to-buy-cooking-stoves-with-n9-2bn/

Sad and sick government

Me I didn't see anyone with these stoves and wonder bags the government allocated such huge amount to procure.

Sai Baba

Sai Buhari

#ihavedecided

click like to vote GMB/PYO

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by Nobody: 9:23am On Mar 15, 2015
poor tanbots.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by loomer: 9:24am On Mar 15, 2015
Raiders:
I feel sorry for Buhari because by the time he gets swear into office by May 29 there will be no money left in the nation account for him to start with. I just hope he probe and arrest GEJ and his corrupt kitchen cabinet. #Never again will Nigeria vote a corrupt president like GEJ

Na urhobo u de speak for California?

Which kind English u de speak so?
Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by strawberryinc(m): 9:24am On Mar 15, 2015
let the dollars keep rolling in... me sef i be oba o
Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by mazda: 9:26am On Mar 15, 2015
He has given you guy freedom of speech you can say anything and talk any how. But if you lied on the kings you miss it. because Ooni is not a beggar.
Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by Nobody: 9:26am On Mar 15, 2015
867Y5309:
Young Jonathan sat on a wall
Young Jonathan had a great fall
All the King's horses and all the king's men
Could not put Jonathan together again

grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by eldnix: 9:26am On Mar 15, 2015
Y na does he knw wat dat money cud do to those who need it?..its sad
Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by mmsen: 9:27am On Mar 15, 2015
Whether they received money or not, what is it that all these traditional rulers do?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by Youngzedd(m): 9:28am On Mar 15, 2015
berem:
Southeast traditional rulers,una no go collect national cake? Your counterparts in the southwest are enjoying o!

Those guys na Mumu.

They leave GEJ to scam them, instead of them to scam GEJ.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by Youngzedd(m): 9:29am On Mar 15, 2015
Arsenella007:
Where does these media houses get these figures from? Where is the proof? Or is it still part of the smear politics?
If this is true, then Mr Jonathan has totally lost it

No smoke without fire.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by donodion(m): 9:29am On Mar 15, 2015
angry angry angry in a country where lecturers went on strike for months,existing tertiary institutions lacked funding, unemployment if graduates is sky high, health care is dire need of help, our defense and military personnels are demoralised and paid peanuts in comparison to foreign military consultants who earns $400 a day each, power and electricity source is daily depleting, rate of currency exchange is at its worst,.......... and you asking me not to be mad and rude to this jona and his co-looters in civil service?? .....so help me God.........

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by AlphaDibia(m): 9:29am On Mar 15, 2015
Buying votes with some Obas?. They should feel insulted. If they werent, then what kind of leaders are they? I am truly sick.. Your departure from Aso Rock is inevitable. Otuoke awaits your arrival

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by Adewale9(m): 9:30am On Mar 15, 2015
We can now see voting a man with no Shoes is a serious problem.... I trust the Oba's, dey will collect the money and vote who dey want....u think Yoruba's are Daft like u....moreover the last time we voted for u, u never gave us #1.....this shows u are not Capable Mr GEJ?

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by micrep3030(m): 9:31am On Mar 15, 2015
Gej for sure
Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by Lstar4real(m): 9:31am On Mar 15, 2015
Kings don't collect bride for God sake sad...what they collected from Jonathan is called ISAKOLE.. .anyone know English for the word then quote me

Jona deceiving himself.

Sai Buhari

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch by experimentist: 9:31am On Mar 15, 2015
kolonigga:
The March 28 presidential election has made some traditional rulers in the South-West geopolitical zone millions of naira richer, SUNDAY PUNCH has learnt.

Findings show that this change of fortunes was brought about by President Goodluck Jonathan’s quest for the support of the traditional rulers, and their subjects, for his re-election bid.

Jonathan, the Peoples Democratic Party candidate, has virtually relocated to the South-West since the Independent National Electoral Commission postponed the general election. The President has traversed the geopolitical zone holding series of meetings with traditional rulers, groups and individuals.

Analysts have said South-West voters might determine the outcome of the election. As a result, the All Progressives Congress and the PDP are making strenuous efforts to win the votes of the region.

SUNDAY PUNCH learnt that the President and his team doled out various amounts of money in dollars to monarchs during his recent visits to the region. It was, however, gathered that a few of the traditional rulers and chiefs turned down the money.

Competent sources disclosed to our correspondents that a handful of Obas received as high as $250,000 each, while the least paid were traditional rulers of small towns who were given $10,000 each.

Sources say the sum of money given to each traditional ruler was determined by a set of criteria which ranged from status and class — whether first-class, second-class, or mere traditional chief — to the popularity and perceived political clout of the monarch.

The traditional ruler of a prominent South-West ancient city which the President visited is said to have been given $250,000 (N50m) while other traditional chiefs were given $10, 000 (N2.2m).

A prominent Yoruba lawyer, who spoke to SUNDAY PUNCH in confidence, confirmed each of the paramount rulers received about $250,000 (about N50m). He, however, added that some of the senior Obas were expected to share the largesse with their subordinate Obas and chiefs.

He said, “We learnt that the Yoruba Obas in the highest category got $250,000, a part of which will go to the lower Obas. Ironically, a son of one of the prominent Obas is contesting on the platform of the opposition, APC. Interestingly, when the President visited the palace, the father dressed the son with the same attire as the others.”

On February 21, President Jonathan after inaugurating the Olorunsogo Power Plant 2, at Papalanto in Ewekoro Local Government Area of Ogun State, held a private meeting with some prominent traditional rulers in the state.

At the meeting were the Akarigbo of Remoland and Chairman of the Ogun State Traditional Council, Oba Michael Sonariwo; Alake and the Paramount ruler of Egbaland, Oba Adedotun Gbadebo; Olowu of Owu, Oba Adegboyega Dosunmu; Olu of Itori, Oba Fatai Akamo; Oniro of Iro, Oba Adebari; Olu of Owode-Egba, Oba Kolawole Sowemimo; and other traditional rulers, mostly from the Ogun Central Senatorial District. The Awujale and paramount ruler of Ijebuland, Oba Sikiru Adetona; and Olu of Ilaro, the paramount ruler of Yewaland, Oba Kehinde Olugbenle were absent.

President Jonathan returned to Ogun State on Thursday and paid a private visit to the Awujale in his palace at Ijebu Ode.

Also three weeks ago, the President was in Oyo State where he visited the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi, and the Soun of Ogbomoso, Oba Oladunni Ajagungbade, separately in their respective palaces.

On March 7, the President visited the Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade in Ile-Ife, Osun State to seek the support of the monarch and his colleagues for his re-election.

Apart from the Ooni, the Orangun of Oke-Ile, Oba Adedokun Abolarin; the Owamiran of Esa Oke, Oba Oba Adeyemi Adeniran; the Olufi of Gbongan, Oba Adetoyese Oyeniyi; Alowa of Ilowa, Oba Bukola Ali; the Olojudo of Ido Osun, Oba Adeen Aderemi; and monarchs from the entire Ile-Ife region were at the palace to receive the President.

The President, thereafter, proceeded to Ilesa where he also met with the Owa Obokun of Ijesaland, Oba Adekunle Aromolaran, another paramount ruler. Traditional rulers from Ijesaland were also present at the Owa’s palace to receive the President.

In Ekiti State, a similar scenario played out. President Jonathan met Ekiti monarchs when he visited the state for the PDP campaign in January, it was learnt on Friday. About 50 traditional rulers were present at the meeting and the President took time to shake hands with all of them.

A source within the PDP told our correspondent that traditional rulers categorised as ‘mere traditional chiefs’ were given $10,000 each by the President’s aides. The monetary gift, it was gathered, was given to “appreciate the presence of the traditional rulers and solicit their support for the President’s re-election.”

Similarly, a source in the palace of a prominent traditional ruler in one of the South-West states said, “It is true that the President gave out money to the kings. But it was not a huge sum as speculated. Thus, the kings should not be seen as being bought over. Our kings are men of good standing in the public. Their consciences are not for sale and could not have been bought.”

The windfall from the President was not limited to traditional rulers alone as groups and individuals also benefitted hugely from it.

The groups, which included market women, students, professional and ethnic groups, SUNDAY PUNCH learnt, made between $5,000 and $100,000 in Lagos. All the groups that visited Jonathan at the State House, Marina, went home richer. The largesse however caused rancour among some of the groups as members accused their leaders of short-changing them.

A member of a popular Yoruba group that visited Jonathan in Lagos said his group received the sum of $50,000. Pleading anonymity, he said, “We were given $50,000 when we finished meeting the President but to my surprise, our leader gave me only $500. A lot of us are not happy with what he did.”

The Secretary, Board of Trustees, National Council of Traditional Rulers in Nigeria, Oba Adedapo Aderemi, however, told one of our correspondents on the telephone that he knew nothing about the President’s largesse.

Aderemi, who is the Olojudo of Ido Osun in Osun State, said the monarchs did not collect any bribe, neither were they offered.

He said, “I do not know anything about the bribe. The President invited us and we went to meet him. Jonathan is our son just like Buhari is our son. As the number one citizen of the country, Jonathan invited us and we honoured the invitation.

“There is none of us who is hungry. Obas in Nigeria are not hungry as far as I know.”

Similarly, the Chairman, Ekiti State Council of Traditional Rulers and the Onitaji of Itaji, Oba Adamo Babalola, said they (kings) did not receive money from Jonathan at any time.

He said, “I’m not aware. Nothing of such happened to my knowledge. If that happened, I was not part of it.”

In the same vein, the Ondo State Council of Traditional Rulers said it did not benefit from Jonathan’s cash gift.

A member of the council, the Olufon of Ifon, Oba Israel Adeusi, said the allegation was an effort to drag the traditional council into politics and tarnish its image.

“This kind of rumour should be stopped. We are not politicians and we should not be dragged into this kind of politics.

“You have a duty to stop this kind of rumours and protect the integrity of the traditional institution,” he said.

On his part, Oba Kayode Olisa, Oba Ajowa Akoko, said he was not at the meeting where President Jonathan met with the traditional rulers in the state.

According to him, he had travelled out of the state and was unable to meet the appointment.

Asked if anything was sent to him afterwards, he said, “I am not aware if anything was given; only those who attended will be able to confirm what happened.”

Efforts by SUNDAY PUNCH to get the Presidency’s reaction did not yield any positive result on Saturday, as calls made to the telephone line of the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, did not connect.

http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-rains-dollars-on-south-west-obas/
grinsmileycrysadangrytonguekiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

El-rufai: It’s Foolish To Sit In Lagos Or Port Harcourt And Demand Power Shift / Akwa Ibom State Can Solve Nigeria’s Fuel Scarcity – Gov. Udom Emmanuel / Tijani Yusuf Is Dead! Presidency Announces Death Of SA Special Duties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.