Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,545 members, 7,816,324 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

When Nigerians Say "There Is God O" - What Does That Mean? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When Nigerians Say "There Is God O" - What Does That Mean? (815 Views)

I Do Hear Heart Rendering Cry Of A Baby In My Dreams - What Could That Mean / I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn / The Fool Say There Is No God. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Nigerians Say "There Is God O" - What Does That Mean? by mmsen: 9:48am On Mar 16, 2015
I've often come across people on this forum say "There is god o" (why the extra 'O' would be another question - seems redundant).

Often in response to a revelation of some immoral or duplicitous act.

So my question quite simply (for those of you who insist on using such a term:

"There is God O" - what does that mean and why do you use it?

Thanks.
Re: When Nigerians Say "There Is God O" - What Does That Mean? by eleko1: 9:53am On Mar 16, 2015
Mama Peace is in best position to ansa dis.Reach her 'twinstar' handle @mamashepos undecided cool tongue
Re: When Nigerians Say "There Is God O" - What Does That Mean? by smakati(m): 9:56am On Mar 16, 2015
Its a loose translation of a common Nigerian expression, common in almost every indigenous language
Yoruba- olorun wa o
Pigeon english- God dey o
Urhobo- oghene roh

Its used to remind mortals that we will all give accounts to God for all our actions on earth, also infers that God is watching our actions.

The phrase became popular when the wife of the president said it repeatedly on national tv. I should add that though it is claimed she has a degree, her use of english is poor.

1 Like

Re: When Nigerians Say "There Is God O" - What Does That Mean? by DuchessLily(f): 9:56am On Mar 16, 2015
eleko1:
Mama Peace is in best position to ansa dis.Reach her 'twinstar' handle @mamashepos undecided cool tongue

Hahahaha... Bro u funny oo

@OP the extra 'O' is for emphasis

1 Like

Re: When Nigerians Say "There Is God O" - What Does That Mean? by eleko1: 10:07am On Mar 16, 2015
shocked lipsrsealed
DuchessLily:

Hahahaha... Bro u funny oo

@OP the extra 'O' is for emphasis
That mama is a comic relief anyday.We'll surely missed her when she go back to OTUOKE with the Clueless one on MAY 29,2015 sad.We are tired of their CoRRUTioN/STEALING,ineptitude,useless undecided sad

(1) (Reply)

Revelation Chapter 12, Verse 1-6 Need Explanation Pls! / American Christians React To Gay Marriage Being Legalized. / A Muslims Leader Advice All Muslims To Change To Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.