Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,661 members, 7,809,502 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry (4181 Views)

Accord 2007 V6, Stiff Steering. / Toyota FV2 Futuristic Vehicle Doesn’t Use Steering Wheel / 07 Camry Gear 13 Pin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry by megautche: 9:53am On Mar 16, 2015
Pls I need info on the cost of fixing stiff steering of Camry 07 or what causes the problem. When the a car is not in motion ice stationary the steering is hard to steer but is smooth when in motion. Pls waiting for advice
Re: Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry by RuggedArab: 9:58am On Mar 16, 2015
The steering pump is bad. Go to a mechanic garage to fix it up.
The cost should be less than 20k.
Re: Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry by uboma(m): 10:12am On Mar 16, 2015
@ op, check the level of ATF in your car. I'm sure it has gone very low or completely drained in the case of a leak. If the rubber pipe connected to the AFT cup is torn/broken, you'll have to replace it and top more ATF.

Try this first and let us if there's any improvement.
Re: Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry by Nobody: 9:54pm On Mar 16, 2015
uboma:
@ op, check the level of ATF in your car. I'm sure it has gone very low or completely drained in the case of a leak. If the rubber pipe connected to the AFT cup is torn/broken, you'll have to replace it and top more ATF.

Bro, Its not the ATF that's low. Besides, the mode of drain n filling of toyota xv40 is another stress on its own, it doesn't even have an ATF dipstick. However, Op can check the steering pump assy, rack and pinion assy.
Re: Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry by uboma(m): 10:05pm On Mar 16, 2015
lomomike:

Bro, Its not the ATF that's low. Besides, the mode of drain n filling of toyota xv40 is another stress on its own, it doesn't even have an ATF dipstick. However, Op can check the steering pump assy, rack and pinion assy.

Noted.

I experienced something similar with E39 some months ago. I found out that my ATF was very low, in fact one of the pipes was broken, hence ATF seeps out of it continuously. I got the pipe replaced and topped some fluid and its been flexible like it should be.
Re: Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry by Nobody: 11:12pm On Mar 16, 2015
uboma:

Noted.

I experienced something similar with E39 some months ago. I found out that my ATF was very low, in fact one of the pipes was broken, hence ATF seeps out of it continuously. I got the pipe replaced and topped some fluid and its been flexible like it should be.

Well, you use a beemer, their systems are precision engineered, parts are unified and in communication with each other which have little tolerance for abuse and failure. A little challenge on a beemer's system can make the owner get heart attack if he's not used to their systems. Toyota on the other hand are built with a range of tolerance for part break down and they can continue to work even when a system is down (i've seen a sienna with serious engine palava and check engine flashing on/off rapidly yet the driver didn't blink an eyelid). That said, he can also check those parts you've mentioned. Hope we're even?
Re: Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:59pm On Mar 16, 2015
uboma:

point of correction ATF is AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OIL for an automatic gearbox

generally as africans we always want to substitue something recommended by manufcaturer to something cheaper and sort of similar

in this case instead of buying the actual power steering fluid PSF , we use the ATF

so this might mislead someone they will top the actual AFT in the gearbox and cause damage, when you meant to say power steering fluid
Re: Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:09am On Mar 17, 2015
megautche:
Pls I need info on the cost of fixing stiff steering of Camry 07 or what causes the problem. When the a car is not in motion ice stationary the steering is hard to steer but is smooth when in motion. Pls waiting for advice

just to make sure, during that stationary will be the engine running/idling or switched off?

cars with hydraulic power steering, they need the engine to be running or idling and auxiliary belt turns the power steering pump

some new cars now come with an electric power steering and not yet sure if the motor works as well on accesories position on the key but like any car with power steering they start to work the moment the engines start to run
Re: Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry by uboma(m): 6:04am On Mar 17, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

point of correction ATF is AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OIL for an automatic gearbox

generally as africans we always want to substitue something recommended by manufcaturer to something cheaper and sort of similar

in this case instead of buying the actual power steering fluid PSF , we use the ATF

so this might mislead someone they will top the actual AFT in the gearbox and cause damage, when you meant to say power steering fluid

You just raised a valid point. Our roadside mechanics will never cease to amaze us in their lack of professional expertise. Can you please recommend a suitable PSF for my E39, 98 model?
Re: Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry by uboma(m): 6:06am On Mar 17, 2015
lomomike:

Well, you use a beemer, their systems are precision engineered, parts are unified and in communication with each other which have little tolerance for abuse and failure. A little challenge on a beemer's system can make the owner get heart attack if he's not used to their systems. Toyota on the other hand are built with a range of tolerance for part break down and they can continue to work even when a system is down (i've seen a sienna with serious engine palava and check engine flashing on/off rapidly yet the driver didn't blink an eyelid). That said, he can also check those parts you've mentioned. Hope we're even?

Lol. You sound like we are debating on this issue. I am open to learn from gurus like you and others just like I learnt something new from ZIMDRILL.
Re: Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry by Nobody: 6:44am On Mar 17, 2015
uboma:

Lol. You sound like we are debating on this issue. I am open to learn from gurus like you and others just like I learnt something new from ZIMDRILL.

My bros, sorry I wrote that based on what you wrote that ATF pipe being burst/disconnected causes stiff steering. Maybe you mistakenly wrote ATF instead of power steering fluid.

Power steering hose leakages will cause loss of power steering fluid which in turn will cause loss of power steering effectiveness and efficiency. All the same I dey loyal and I dey hail o! cheesy
Re: Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry by megautche: 7:05am On Mar 17, 2015
Thanks for your advice

1 Like

Re: Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry by uboma(m): 8:18am On Mar 17, 2015
lomomike:

My bros, sorry I wrote that based on what you wrote that ATF pipe being burst/disconnected causes stiff steering. Maybe you mistakenly wrote ATF instead of power steering fluid.

Power steering hose leakages will cause loss of power steering fluid which in turn will cause loss of power steering effectiveness and efficiency. All the same I dey loyal and I dey hail o! cheesy

My mechanic, out of ignorance, poured ATF in the steering cup of my car. And I followed the same routine but now I know better. I'll do more research and get the right PSF.

Thanks Bro.
Re: Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 17, 2015
uboma:

My mechanic, out of ignorance, poured ATF in the steering cup of my car. And I followed the same routine but now I know better. I'll do more research and get the right PSF.

Thanks Bro.
Pls do so, however, most Toyota from 2000-2006 recommends dextron ii or dextron iii atf fluid in the power steering as power steering fluid.
Re: Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry by ndidibabe(f): 6:13am On Oct 17, 2019
megautche:
Have you been able to fix this? What was the problem?

(1) (Reply)

How Much Can I Get A Used Opel Calibra Engine? / World's Greatest Drag Race 7 / Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.