Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,257 members, 7,818,880 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation (19901 Views)

Court Nullifies Election Of Bassey Albert As Uyo Rep / Lagos State Government Denies Abolishing Monthly Sanitation / Kano Extends Monthly Sanitation To Sundays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:51pm On Mar 16, 2015
anonimi:

It encourages the LGAs to do their constitutional DUTY for which they receive monthly allocation from Abuja derived from Niger Delta oil revenues. Thankfully the judge nullified one of the clueless legacies of Buhari's senseless military DICTATORSHIP.

Abi you don hear sey dem dey lock people inside dem houses for obodo oyinbo sake of sey dem want clean dem environment
Since you've decided to remain føolish, stop quoting me. Tell me the PDP state that is neat, where the LGAs clean drainages.

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:51pm On Mar 16, 2015
mmsen:

Read what I wrote again - I mentioned the need to educate first.

Nigeria has a bloated civil service - why not make them earn their keep?

LASTMA seem to have no issues collecting fines - so your claim about no mechanisms to effectively punish 'deviants' is false.

Sir, have you actually considered the pros and cons of this restriction and why it was introduced in the first place? Let's look at it through this way. Building "A" has 5 occupants who have differing work schedule and differing time freedom allocated to them based on their variations in work and job specifics. If Mr Chika decides to clean his house on Monday at the expense of others, the environment still remains dirty. The relevance of creating a compulsory work free time for sanitation is to ensure that everyone does it simultaneously irrespective of one's working and job schedule. Mind you, this explanation is based on peculiarities relating to pervasive corruption in Nigerian Institution charged with implementing such compliances. For now, the cost of cleaning our environment and maintaining proper Institutions will have greater financial implications on the govt.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by dein77(m): 2:51pm On Mar 16, 2015
chillykelly86:
There are better ways of enforcing sanitation than restriction of movement.

Nigeria is moving forward

And one way is to ensure state governments employ, educate and train health officers who shall daily monitor the implementation of environmental laws, and sanction offenders.

That decree has no place in 2015!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:52pm On Mar 16, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
This judgement only encourages people to keep their environment untidy.
what do local govt do with the funds allocated to them? They should deploy staffs to clean swages and take refuse. Why do we pay tax.

3 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by boujaye: 2:52pm On Mar 16, 2015
abacusCm:
http://www.punchng.com/news/court-nullifies-movement-restriction-during-lagos-monthly-sanitation/

1st victory and liberation from the aristocratic regime of The Hyaena of Bourdillon: Asiwaju and Co.

More liberation coming in March 28 and April 11, 2015

Vote GEJ, Vote Jimi Agbaje

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:55pm On Mar 16, 2015
slimmy05:
so basic human rights should be violated? It's a democratic rule and fundamental human right shouldn't be violated for any reason whatsoever. They have environmental committee that check houses and issue fines to those who are making it unsafe for inhabitants. So why restrict people's freedom of movement?
Sir, I rest my case. Time will tell if actually the judgment favours Nigerians or adds to our woes.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:56pm On Mar 16, 2015
slimmy05:
what do local govt do with the funds allocated to them? They should deploy staffs to clean swages and take refuse. Why do we pay tax.
Wait for them to come clean your yansh after you finish dèfecting. It is their duty, obun.

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:57pm On Mar 16, 2015
franciskaine:
Sir, I rest my case. Time will tell if actually the judgment favours Nigerians or adds to our woes.
You need to get yourself informed. It's becoming annoying when youth expose their crass ignorance in public. Read! Read!! Read!!! and stop making annoying comments. What are the duties of the local govt when we pay taxes everyday?

2 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 16, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Wait for them to come clean your yansh after you finish dèfecting. It is their duty, obun.
I have known you to be a lose-mouthed uncultured vulture who needs to be incarcerated.

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by okomonny(m): 3:00pm On Mar 16, 2015
We should be able to judge issue with reason. with restriction of movement people will still not clean their environment. when rain fall and flood block the way people will blame government.
let apply law that will serve the people not politics.

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 3:01pm On Mar 16, 2015
franciskaine:
Sir, have you actually considered the pros and cons of this restriction and why it was introduced in the first place? Let's look at it through this way. Building "A" has 5 occupants who have differing work schedule and differing time freedom allocated to them based on their variations in work and job specifics. If Mr Chika decides to clean his house on Monday at the expense of others, the environment still remains dirty. The relevance of creating a compulsory work free time for sanitation is to ensure that everyone does it simultaneously irrespective of one's working and job schedule. Mind you, this explanation is based on peculiarities relating to pervasive corruption in Nigerian Institution charged with implementing such compliances. For now, the cost of cleaning our environment and maintaining proper Institutions will have greater financial implications on the govt.
get it into your thick skull, it violates fundamental human right and there is no reason whatsoever that would justify restricting people's freedom for sanitation.

2 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by mmsen: 3:03pm On Mar 16, 2015
franciskaine:

Is sanitation about keeping the inside of homes clean? I'm sure it is about keeping the general environment clean.

It is for the owner of the premises to ensure that his/her building is clean.

If there are multiple occupants and one landlord then the landlord should stipulate within the terms of the tenancy what the arrangement is pertaining to the upkeep of the premises - most decent landlords know to do this.

'Corruption' is no excuse for not painting or cleaning your compound, ensuring that the drains are not blocked with refuse.

If citizens wish to be treated with respect then they ought to respect themselves enough to take pride in their own environs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by dein77(m): 3:03pm On Mar 16, 2015
slimmy05:
get it into your thick skull, it violates fundamental human right and there is no reason whatsoever that would justify restricting people's freedom for sanitation.

Seriously, I get upset whenever I see outright insults and personal attacks in this forum. We can still disagree without resorting to name calling and insults.

3 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 3:04pm On Mar 16, 2015
dein77:

Seriously, I get upset whenever I see outright insults and personal attacks in this forum. We can still disagree without resorting to name calling and insults.

You lack basic understanding of insults. Is the skull thick or light?

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 3:08pm On Mar 16, 2015
slimmy05:
You need to get yourself informed. It's becoming annoying when youth expose their crass ignorance in public. Read! Read!! Read!!! and stop making annoying comments. What are the duties of the local govt when we pay taxes everyday?
Sir, I will not stoop so low to the level of insults. U speak as if Nigeria is America without juxtaposing the lapses in our Institutions. Is it not the same local govt officials who visits a HOUSE with poor sewage system, rather than mark the house for special attention collects bribe of #500 and places the community on a greater risk of disaster? Speak like a Nigerian from facts on "what is" around you, and not on mere utopian "ought to be's".

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 3:13pm On Mar 16, 2015
franciskaine:
Sir, I will not stoop so low to the level of insults. U speak as if Nigeria is America without juxtaposing the lapses in our Institutions. Is it not the same local govt officials who visits a HOUSE with poor sewage system, rather than mark the house for special attention collects bribe of #500 and places the community on a greater risk of disaster? Speak like a Nigerian from facts on "what is" around you, and not on mere utopian "ought to be's".
the blame is on the governent and not the people. You still need to educate yourself more cos you're still speaking trash

2 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 16, 2015
slimmy05:
Okay sir!
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by olalekan1(m): 3:26pm On Mar 16, 2015
This is good, I am in total support of it. A serious and sane government should know how to ensure people clean up their environment without restricting their movement.

3 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by anonimi: 3:27pm On Mar 16, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
Since you've decided to remain føolish, stop quoting me. Tell me the PDP state that is neat, where the LGAs clean drainages.

That na your own fo0lish assignment as me I don do my own finish, according to you. grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 3:30pm On Mar 16, 2015
slimmy05:
the blame is on the governent and not the people. You still need to educate yourself more cos you're still speaking trash
dignifying you with a further reply puts us on same level of lacking public decorum. Pls do not quote me again. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by olalekan1(m): 3:30pm On Mar 16, 2015
franciskaine:
Let house A engage the service of one or two cleaners and let the occupants pay, simple!

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 3:33pm On Mar 16, 2015
franciskaine:
dignifying you with a further reply puts us on same level of lacking public decorum. Pls do not quote me again. Thanks!
You're just an ignoramus. Keep exposing your crass ignorance. Your brain at par with a 6years autist

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 3:35pm On Mar 16, 2015
So government no one work. Dem one make we provide light, water, then come dey sweep road again, also come fold up our sleeve, enter gutter, remove rubbish, then come still pay tax on top all that one.

WarrA life!

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by charijee(f): 3:36pm On Mar 16, 2015
JeffreyJamez:
How many people dey Even clean up sef..... most people just sit at home till 10,then thEy move.
You inclusive tongue
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by 2n2k(m): 3:39pm On Mar 16, 2015
boujaye:

1st victory and liberation from the aristocratic regime of The Hyaena of Bourdillon: Asiwaju and Co.

More liberation coming in March 28 and April 11, 2015

Vote GEJ, Vote Jimi Agbaje

What has Tinubu, GEJ or politics got to do with this?

FCT Abuja also have the same restriction rule on sanitation day. Even when the authority decided to relax the rule, it was not publicized. Till today, the Abuja Environmental Protection Board Task Force still use that to fleece people coming into the city centre from suburbs on last Saturday of the month.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by lozanni(m): 3:40pm On Mar 16, 2015
Testing

Great, the next legal battle to be fought is the one against restriction of movement during elections.
I believe you could have a clean environment, and vote also, without restriction of movement as we are in a democratic setting.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:43pm On Mar 16, 2015
slimmy05:
I have known you to be a lose-mouthed uncultured vulture who needs to be incarcerated.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by nairabetguru(m): 3:55pm On Mar 16, 2015
pheesayor:
The only time dirty Lagosians have to clean up their environment. Most times gaan most people don't come out for cleanup and we have to persuade them to do so. Now that movement restriction has been nullified, be rest assured that environmental sanitation will die a natural death.

when it was once every month you find it very hard to come out and clean ur environment now that it has been nullified .... your drainage will be blocked and streets littered with dirt thereby posing serious health risk to you and your immediate environment>>>>>>> Lord hav mercy on you. undecided
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by garyaustin(m): 3:55pm On Mar 16, 2015
I hail the landmark judgement. It means the monthly sanitation exercise has been fake, backed by no legislation, illegal and false imprisonment of the people of Lagos state for a very long time. please someone should post the full text of that judgement.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by omonnakoda: 4:04pm On Mar 16, 2015
dein77:

I'm really impressed with you guys. I'm happy you guys are willing to play your part in this issue. That decree has NO place in this time and age. Keep the good work going.
What decree?
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by omonnakoda: 4:18pm On Mar 16, 2015
franciskaine:
There is no other sensible way to look at it than through the law. The Constitution is the supreme law and EVERY OTHER LAW must comply with the Constitution. I am not aware of whether Lagos State enacted any legislation before embarking o this enterprise.What this judgment is telling us is even if they did such a law is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. That is all there is to it and so no further discussion. Lagos State can appeal. I doubt that they will but if they do and lose then the only way to get that back is to change the constitution. Until such time there will be no restriction.

I think it is important to state why the government was always likely to lose. The law operates generally on PRINCIPLES that cover an infinite range of scenarios that cannot be captured exhaustively in legislation. If we are to have freedom of movement then we cannot have unlimited power to restrict that freedom. The ONLY scenarios envisaged in our constitution for restriction of movement are states of emergency and quarantine(quarantine is on the exclusive list) . By no stretch of the imagination can a routine exercise such as sanitation be classed as "emergency" therefore by imposing restrictions LAGOS STATE is exercising powers that IT DOES NOT HAVE. The rule of law implies that every person has boundaries and respects those boundaries. Government power has LIMITS. If government decides today they want to impose restriction for sanitation for 3 hours the question then arises why not for 3 days or one month?? Why not for religious reasons etc. In fact I see restrictions for Oro etc on shaky ground too

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by dein77(m): 4:19pm On Mar 16, 2015
omonnakoda:
What decree?

The environmental sanitation exercise was brought about by a military decree. ..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Abba Kyari Cuts Dubious Financial Deals Under Buhari - Sahara Reporters / Femi Fani-Kayode Appreciates His Wife, Precious Chikwendu With Adorable Photos / New Minimum Wage: Falana Reveals Why It’s Illegal For Governors To Determine Amo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.