Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:31 AM

Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation (19900 Views)

Court Nullifies Election Of Bassey Albert As Uyo Rep / Lagos State Government Denies Abolishing Monthly Sanitation / Kano Extends Monthly Sanitation To Sundays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by omonnakoda: 4:22pm On Mar 16, 2015
olalekan1:
This is good, I am in total support of it. A serious and sane government should know how to ensure people clean up their environment without restricting their movement.
I have visited many clean cities in my life(Lagos is not clean by the way) and none of them do this. Government should clean and pay people to do it. Businesses and residents should pay for this the dirtier their environment the more they pay. No one will them the before they start curbing antisocial behavior

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 4:22pm On Mar 16, 2015
omonnakoda:
There is no other sensible way to look at it than through the law. The Constitution is the supreme law and EVERY OTHER LAW must comply with the Constitution. I am not aware of whether Lagos State enacted any legislation before embarking o this enterprise.What this judgment is telling us is even if they did such a law is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. That is all there is to it and so no further discussion. Lagos State can appeal. I doubt that they will but if they do and lose then the only way to get that back is to change the constitution. Until such time there will be no restriction.

I think it is important to state why the government was always likely to lose. The law operates generally on PRINCIPLES that cover an infinite range of scenarios that cannot be captured exhaustively in legislation. If we are to have freedom of movement then we cannot have unlimited power to restrict that freedom. The ONLY scenarios envisaged in our constitution for restriction of movement are states of emergency and quarantine(quarantine is on the exclusive list) . By no stretch of the imagination can a routine exercise such as sanitation be classed as "emergency" therefore by imposing restrictions LAGOS STATE is exercising powers that IT DOES NOT HAVE. The rule of law implies that every person has boundaries and respects those boundaries. Government power has LIMITS. If government decides today they want to impose restriction for sanitation for 3 hours the question then arises why not for 3 days or one month?? Why not for religious reasons etc. In fact I see restrictions for Oro etc on shaky ground too
Well said friend.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by omonnakoda: 4:25pm On Mar 16, 2015
dein77:

The environmental sanitation exercise was brought about by a military decree. ..
Really? what is the name of the decree and when was it enacted?
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by cecegorz(m): 4:25pm On Mar 16, 2015
In as much as I want to hail the idea of challenging governments in the courts and getting a fair judgement, I'll also want to look at the effects of this liberty on our environment.
In a country where you even have people bring out refuse and dump them on the streets instead of paying waste collectors for clear out. If this restriction is cancelled, the environment is definitely going to take a turn for the worse, unless governments will charge the citizens extra money for cleaning up street drainages. It's a shame, but some people are not even appalled by a dirty environment.
Let's see how it goes when they appeal.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by dein77(m): 4:27pm On Mar 16, 2015
omonnakoda:
Really? what is the name of the decree and when was it enacted?

Bro, abeg lemme be....
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by eyinjuege: 4:35pm On Mar 16, 2015
dein77:
This is a welcomed development. Apart fro the fact that it violates one of our fundamental human rights as enshrined in our Constitution, at this time and age, it appears to be outdated and old fashioned to have an entire nation put on the halt every last Saturday of every month for Environmental sanitation exercise; [/b] it's supposed to be a DAILY activity[b]. This is 2015!

It may have worked in the past but it's obviously no more working. All that happens on those Saturday is that while a few clean their environment, the vast majority of people simultaneously idly wait for the hours to elapse, and then we go on piling obnoxious dirts and wait till another sanitation day before we do some cleaning and the process continues. It's a poor environmental management strategy.

In fact, I made a strong case against this decree around September last year when I was delayed at Agofure park because of sanitation exercise.

[/b]Every state government should employ and adequately equip and train environmental health officers who shall daily monitor our environment and punish defaulters where needed. [b]

This is a welcomed development.

True talk.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by eyinjuege: 4:46pm On Mar 16, 2015
slimmy05:
what do local govt do with the funds allocated to them? They should deploy staffs to clean swages and take refuse. Why do we pay tax.

Good question. Most of the LGs are as useless as they come. They are worse than the state and federal govts.
Its time to start demanding these LGs rise up to their responsibilities.

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 4:50pm On Mar 16, 2015
nairabetguru:

when it was once every month you find it very hard to come out and clean ur environment now that it has been nullified .... your drainage will be blocked and streets littered with dirt thereby posing serious health risk to you and your immediate environment>>>>>>> Lord hav mercy on you. undecided
Another ignoramus

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by dein77(m): 4:55pm On Mar 16, 2015
eyinjuege:

Good question. Most of the LGs are as useless as they come. They are worse than the state and federal govts.
Its time to start demanding these LGs rise up to their responsibilities.

I think the lack of LG autonomy plays a large role in their ineffectiveness!
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by folem: 5:00pm On Mar 16, 2015
[size=20pt]Court abolishes movement restriction on sanitation days in Lagos[/size]

A Federal High Court in Lagos has declared as unlawful the restriction of citizens’ movement during the monthly Lagos environmental sanitation exercise. Justice Mohammed Idris, in a judgment delivered on Monday, held that such restriction of movement, in the name of sanitation, amounted to a violation of the citizens’ right to personal liberty and freedom of movement protected by sections 35 and 41 of the Constitution.

The court held that there is no law in place in Lagos state, which stipulates that citizens of the state be kept indoors compulsorily between those hours. The court found that the Constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria, grants freedom of movement to every citizen, and such freedom cannot be taken away by executive proclamation, in the absence of any law to that effect.

On Monday March 9, 2015, Justice Idris, presiding over a federal high court, Ikoyi, Lagos, took arguments in respect of the suit filed by human rights activist, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, against the Inspector-General of Police and the Lagos State Government, to challenge the restriction of human movements on the last Saturday of every month, for the purpose of observing environmental sanitation.

Mr Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, led Mr Gbenga Awoseye, to argue the case himself. Lagos State Govt was represented in court by Mr Jonathan Ogunsanya, chief state counsel from the ministry of justice. In the suit, Adegboruwa was contending that there is no law in force in Lagos state, presently, restricting movement of persons, for the purpose of observing environmental sanitation. He argued that section 39 of the Environmental Sanitation Law 2000, of Lagos State, which the respondents claimed to empower the Commissioner for the Environment, to make regulations, cannot be the basis of restricting human movement on Saturdays, as no regulation in force has indeed been made for that purpose.

He challenged the Lagos State government to produce such regulation before the court. He then urged the court to hold that even if there is such regulation in force, it cannot be enforced on roads that are designated as federal highways under the Highways Act, such as the 3rd Mainland bridge where he was arrested by the police and Lastma officials.

Ogunsaya, in his response, argued that section 41 of the 1999 Constitution permits government to make laws that may derogate from the right to freedom of movement and that the Environmental Sanitation Law of Lagos State, 2000, is an example of such derogation. He argued further that the practice of keeping people at home for three hours only on the last Saturdays of the month is meant to keep society and environment clean and safe.

Therefore, he said that there are classified exceptions to the restriction, including emergencies and ambulance services and those on essential services. After hearing arguments from counsel, the court adjourned the case till today for judgment. After the judgement Barrister Ebun Adegboruewa while addressing journalist at the premises of the court said: “I am committed to the struggle to eradicate all forms of arbitrariness and impunity from our society.”

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by omonnakoda: 5:11pm On Mar 16, 2015
dein77:

Bro, abeg lemme be....
Sure so let us agree that such a decree exists only in your imagination
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Mrbigman1(m): 5:36pm On Mar 16, 2015
dtruth3:
wow! fantastic, going to my own state (Anambra) to institute a legal actions to that effect!

Taaaaaaaaa onye bu nka?

We must clean our state by our self.
Do u know how much it's gonna cost the gov't to employ people who re gonna sweep d whole city?

Plus our culture of I dnt care and indiscriminate dumping of refuse, Anambra will turns ochanger of blessed memories.

We must clean it our self so we can know d pain of dumping.

One one nullifies d movement restrictions, no body will ever care
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by lizzlix(m): 5:58pm On Mar 16, 2015
All this one Na jonze talk. If them born anybody well make him come out before ten o' clock dey patrol, if police nab you. Na then you go know say that ruling is only application within the four walls of FHC. Them want put sand for our brothers garri. Haba! una no get conscience?
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by JeffreyJamez(m): 6:12pm On Mar 16, 2015
charijee:
You inclusive tongue

I no argue lol
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 16, 2015
abacusCm:
http://www.punchng.com/news/court-nullifies-movement-restriction-during-lagos-monthly-sanitation/

WOW! that gotta be a big to that now bronco egomaniac oppressor fashola....
#aPc going down widda speeda sound....
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by charijee(f): 7:10pm On Mar 16, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

I no argue lol
You fit argue?....how you dey jare?
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by omonnakoda: 7:15pm On Mar 16, 2015
It is one thing to impose restrictions in specific areas at specific times for specific reasons e.g marathon race route, Visiting First Lady( area of visit)etc but that is quite different matter from saying do not go ANYWHERE and you will be arrested if you do.

The other issue which does not appear to have been debated is the requirement to clean PRIVATE premises at SPECIFIC times. This is probably unconstitutional. I should have the right to choose WHEN to clean my HOUSE and how to use MY time. Not every dwelling needs so called "environmental" cleaning. Especially when well looked after
Let us imagine that government decides to do this on Friday afternoon or Sunday Morning.. Many would revolt on religious grounds
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by erico2k2(m): 7:19pm On Mar 16, 2015
fboycaestro:
well...okay

But who then is gonna take the exercise serious?
The same people who are gonna get ill from filthy environment
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by erico2k2(m): 7:22pm On Mar 16, 2015
Mrbigman1:

Taaaaaaaaa onye bu nka?

We must clean our state by our self.
Do u know how much it's gonna cost the gov't to employ people who re gonna sweep d whole city?

Plus our culture of I dnt care and indiscriminate dumping of refuse, Anambra will turns ochanger of blessed memories.

We must clean it our self so we can know d pain of dumping.

One one nullifies d movement restrictions, no body will ever care
that's what the Tax you pay monthly is meant to be used for, however if you fail to clean up your personal space its you who is going to smell personally.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by meforyou1(m): 7:28pm On Mar 16, 2015
sucess001:
strange decision...

Strange indeed...

That rule has been in existence as far as i can remember...

I want to know the legal basis of the judgement...
Courts only entertain cases brought before them. The law can be as old as methuselah, courts only pronounce judgement when the matter is brought before them
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by MeggaMaga(m): 7:30pm On Mar 16, 2015
Dragonking:
Good for fashola. Now he will know that GEJ is his boss...
Click like for GEJ and share for GMB..Let's see who wins. cool
GMB has always won in this like n share votes. Seems we have more of. GMBites on NL than GEJites undecided
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by nairabetguru(m): 7:43pm On Mar 16, 2015
slimmy05:
Another ignoramus

#GEJFoolz
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Mrbigman1(m): 7:48pm On Mar 16, 2015
erico2k2:
the Tax you pay monthly is meant to be used f or however if you fail to clean up your personal space its you who is going to smell personally.
Thats what
Oga I understand this, but imagine a situation wia worker re not paid for two months and with the level of waste generation in a city, osha and nnewi will return to d dust.

Dey still do some work and wen u see dem working, u'd know dat it's not in dia interest.

People should clean up dia compound every last Saturday and it should not be tempered with.

Plus in osha, tenants enjoy doing it, dey come out and have yard meeting after clean up and drink to it in relaxation.

The good thing is, oga re those who do d job, the boys wash cars and home and prepare for market.

That should not be played with in my state bikonu
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by JeffreyJamez(m): 7:58pm On Mar 16, 2015
charijee:
You fit argue?....how you dey jare?

I just dey o.....how your side?
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by omonnakoda: 8:09pm On Mar 16, 2015
Mrbigman1:

Oga I understand this, but imagine a situation wia worker re not paid for two months and with the level of waste generation in a city, osha and nnewi will return to d dust.

Dey still do some work and wen u see dem working, u'd know dat it's not in dia interest.

People should clean up dia compound every last Saturday and it should not be tempered with.

Plus in osha, tenants enjoy doing it, dey come out and have yard meeting after clean up and drink to it in relaxation.

The good thing is, oga re those who do d job, the boys wash cars and home and prepare for market.

That should not be played with in my state bikonu
It is a good idea for communities to organize themselves this way.There are so many benefits e.g you may spot emerging eaglets in your neighbourhood.Nevertheless it should be locally organized and voluntary. People should not be arrested for moving around. Adults should not be treated like children. That is what I disagree with besides neighbourhoods are different.The needs of Ikoyi are not the same as Egbeda. The exercise echoes of military government. In a democracy people organize themselves differently.We need to understand the idea that government is there to serve not to rule
The principle is the same if government can do this or sanitation they can do it for anything,child immunization,election registration,operation brush your teeth or anything that takes their fancy also what stops them making it 6 hours or whole day
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by charijee(f): 8:10pm On Mar 16, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

I just dey o.....how your side?
No shaking for my side grin....I dey where you keep me o
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:14pm On Mar 16, 2015
charijee:
No shaking for my side grin....I dey where you keep me o

Where I keep you?.... cheesy
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by charijee(f): 8:18pm On Mar 16, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

Where I keep you?.... cheesy
Make I open your nyansh for here?
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:21pm On Mar 16, 2015
charijee:
Make I open your nyansh for here?

Open am abeg.... na beg I dey beg you o....Please open it grin
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by charijee(f): 8:32pm On Mar 16, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

Open am abeg.... na beg I dey beg you o....Please open it grin
Hahaha yeye somebody grin grin.....I understand say you dey beg me make I no try am tongue
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:34pm On Mar 16, 2015
charijee:
Hahaha yeye somebody grin grin.....I understand say you dey beg me make I no try am tongue

I no beg you not try am o.....beg fire!!..... see my bumbum please open it lol
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by charijee(f): 8:38pm On Mar 16, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

I no beg you not try am o.....beg fire!!..... see my bumbum please open it lol
Where the bumbum?....show me wella grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

New York Times Special Report On Buhari's Inauguration / I Will Support My Husband To Succeed – Aisha Buhari / Minimum Wage: NLC Declares Strike In Imo, Rivers, Osun, 15 Other States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.