Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,740 members, 7,827,731 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. (6254 Views)

Photo: RANKED: The World's 20 Strongest Militaries / David Mark Sworn In As Senator For The 6th Time / Nigeria Ranked The 20th Saddest Nation on Earth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by BOSS7: 2:05pm On Jan 16, 2009
What an honor indeed? Nigeria is now ranked as the sixth (6) kidnapping country of the world!

A sixth country where people are practically stolen from the streets and disappeared only to re-surface after a ransom is paid with the option to be forever gone with the wind! And who still wants to take a chance at being held for ransom and sometimes killed for failure to deliver the king's ransom? The tourist? The investor? The expatriate? The educator? The Foundations staffer? This blogger? You? Me? The list of people staying off is growing and who suffers most but the economy of Nigeria, which is bleeding off all these potential additional tourism revenue due to instability occasioned by fear of kidnappers and other sundry anarchists parading in the country.

Icheoku had written similarly on the kidnapping menace in Enugu State, urging a precise determinate action against such terrorists(kidnap and death of a high chief ); and will like to urge the Federal government of Nigeria to make the crime of kidnapping a death-penalty offence. Kidnapping or fear of it paints Nigeria in a very bad light and sabotages its economy which would otherwise benefit from extra foreign exchange receipts from visitors, tourists and investors wishing to come to Nigeria. With the price of oil, the main stay of Nigeria's economy, tanking, the government need to start taking in revenue from other sources including tourism and the kidnappers should not be allowed to stand in the way. No price is too much to pay to put a stop to this nightmare and Icheoku pledges to support whatever action aimed at stamping out this scourge. The government of Nigeria should therefore treat these miscreants as economic saboteurs and mete a dissuading justice to them accordingly. On the hierarchy of crimes, Icheoku says that kidnapping should rank amongst treason as it attacks the very essence of Nigeria sustenance and by extension, its existence!

Now ranked among such countries like Haiti, Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechyna, Philippines, Colombia, Brazil, Venezuela and Mexico, Nigeria really need to press the accelerator to zoom out of this crowd fast. All the negative raps already heaped on Nigeria appear to be bad enough, but add kidnapping to it and Nigeria becomes a completely no-go area. Admitted that criminals masking as "businessmen" will always brave any condition whatsoever to see if they can ink one contract or catch a deal anywhere, even in Hell, but the real issue should be the standing of Nigeria in the eyes of the world, especially the tourists. Being tagged a kidnapping mecca of the world is a toga the Nigerian Foreign and Internal Affairs ministries should devote a greater percentage of their resources both in manpower, propaganda and money to wage a ruthless campaign against. They need to cleanse this insignia from Nigeria as the damage is unquantifiable both in revenue and reputation. Whatever it takes, let it be done including breaking some hands and legs if need be. Reputation is priceless and any nation without one is doomed!

Now take a little peek on how these top ten kidnapping-countries are viewed in the eyes of the world, in descending order:-

10. Haiti - It remains an unsafe place to visit, even considering the presence of the UN stabilization force. Kidnappers and street gangs are thriving in Haiti’s capital, Port-au-Prince. The targets include rich Haitians, diplomats, aid workers and, of course, foreign tourists.

9. Iraq – It doesn't come as a surprise, considering the widespread civil violence, that Iraq isn't one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations. Violence and kidnappings occur on a regular basis and are mainly aimed at foreigners. Once the home to the most ancient civilizations, Iraq is now a place where several distinct forces are competing for control.

8. Afghanistan – Afghanistan has been experiencing a lot of turmoil in the wars that have been raging on for over 25 years. Presently, several areas of the country remain unsafe for travelers, Attacks targeting foreigners are ever frequent, especially suicide bombings concentrated around foreign embassies. Visitors are recommended to avoid gatherings, avoid travelling alone or at night. Afghanistan presently has one of the most volatile situations.

7. Chechnya – Ever since the Russian empire collapsed in 1991, southern Russian has been marked by the conflict between the Chechen separatists and the Russian forces, thus reducing almost most of the province to sad ruins of a long war. Rich in petro-chemicals, natural gas and oil, the country’s economy and infrastructure have been experiencing a serious crash, due to the on-going conflicts. Tourists are not safe in the country.

6. Nigeria – Africa’s most populous nation has a fascinating mixture of over 200 ethnic groups that, coupled with an unstable economy, often leads to a volatile situation. According to news reports, over 200 foreign oil workers have been kidnapped in the Niger Delta, most situations being resolved with a ransom. It is not a paradise for tourists as they are easy targets of kidnappers.

5. Philippines – The archipelago consisting of 7,107 islands is a fascinating, laid back natural paradise, with friendly, engaging people. But there’s a reason we included Philippines among the countries where tourists are most likely to get kidnapped. North Cotabato, Mindanao, Zamboanga peninsula, Basilan, Tawi-Tawi and the Sulu archipelago are just a few areas that a traveller should necessarily avoid. Apart from the usual robberies and kidnappings, foreigners also risk having a drug put in their drink that knocks one out immediately. Tourists are then either robbed, raped or have their kidneys taken. 10 hours are needed to wake up from the drug and another three days to remember what happened.

4.Venezuela – With some of the most spectacular landscapes and the longest waterfall in the world, Venezuela truly is a sight not to be missed, if you’re willing to leave aside street crime, kidnappings or political turmoil. If not, know that street crime is present on a daily basis throughout the country. Tourists in Venezuela are the easiest target for pickpockets; so try to look like anything but a tourist. Don’t wear jewelry, watches, avoid unfolding maps, taking pictures and stay away from poor areas.

3. Colombia – National parks, high mountains, cruise boats or soaring skyscrapers are just a few of the numerous attractions Colombia has to offer. Even though it might sound like an untroubled paradise, Colombia has its fair share of drug dealers, robberies and kidnappings. Even though safety has improved in recent years, Colombia still suffers from high kidnapping and homicide rates in urban areas. The extra violence is provoked by the guerrillas which operate mainly in rural areas – tourists are warned to be avoid the border areas with Ecuador and Venezuela.

2. Brazil – The largest country in South America, teeming with beaches and untamed forests, Brazil is one of the most vibrant and colorful places on the continent. As with the other countries on the list, the downside is the street crime present in big cities, where attacks against tourists have become frequent. Apart from the usual kidnappings, there are also a high number of muggings; so simply leave your valuables at the hotel and take with you only a small amount of money. To top it all off, Brazil experienced an increase in the number of yellow fever and dengue fever cases, so be sure to have your shots before entering the country.

1. Mexico – Mexico is one of the most dangerous countries in the world. You’ll come across plenty of corruption and the usual street crime that comes with every big city. Kidnapping for ransom is fairly common, especially in border cities such as Tijuana, Nogales or Juarez. As with other cities on the list, try not to look like a tourist, avoid flashing shiny, expensive objects and you should be fine.

Icheoku says, President Umaru Yar'Adua of Nigeria should call his security council's meeting immediately to harsh out a permanent fix to this creeping ugly trend of kidnapping which is enveloping Nigeria. It does not bode Nigeria any good and if left unchecked will metastasize into another cancer in the body-fabric of the country. It should therefore be stopped forthwith and decisively. Any action or measure taken by the government to root it out will be a welcome development with Nigerians and the international community. Enough of these negative marks on Nigeria's image by a few miscreants; who are cashing in on the present spineless administration to cause more terror and apprehension amongst Nigerians and her visitors. Opportunity calls for Umaru Yar'Adua to rise and shine, and re-establish himself as an authentic Nigerian leader, if only he can muster the will and determination to be a little tough on crimes including kidnapping. Now is the time to seriously mean it and do it, (the fight against crimes) Mr. President!

Source : http://meniru..com/2008/12/nigeria-bags-honor-6th-kidnapping.html
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by Kobojunkie: 4:13pm On Jan 16, 2009
This country continues to get itself on some of the world's most notorious lists . lol
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by BOSS7: 6:50pm On Jan 16, 2009
There's presently war in Afghanistan and even, Nigeria is worse than Afghanistan when it comes to kidnapping people.

Would things ever get better?
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by Sapphic: 4:24am On Jan 17, 2009
If only we were topping the top ten lists for some laudable achievements, things for don better. bleeping useless country.
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by SeanT21(f): 5:04am On Jan 17, 2009
LOL!!

I thought Liberia was gonna be over here.Kidnappers are plenty over there!!
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by Ifygurl: 5:12am On Jan 17, 2009
I can't believe this year is when you guys learnt about this.  I read this about a year ago but in another website.  Different from the one posted.
N-way,  Niger-Deltans need to stop kidnapping foreigners.

For number 7, why didn't they just write Russia. We all know that place is in Russia, why don't they just write Russia? That can confuse people.
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by Ifygurl: 5:12am On Jan 17, 2009
SeanT21:

LOL!!

I thought Liberia was gonna be over here.Kidnappers are plenty over there!!

Aren't you a liberian?  Why are you insulting your own people.

Anyway Vanguard newspaper were the ones who did the ranking. If you want you're countries name in it. Why don't you go talk to them. I don't think it's a good idea though.
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by topup: 5:38am On Jan 17, 2009
I am not surprised with the statistics. I am more shocked that Mexico tops the list. I would have thought with all the human trafficking in Russia and Thailand that they would have surfaced the list.

I know as Nigerians, we are not foolish, some really sensible approaches have already been outlined, however we find it hard to effect these approaches, I actually would like to avoid using the word corruption. There isn't a single country on this earth that doesn't have an element of corruption, democracy or not, it still lies that the world is corrupt.

Okay, instead of stating obvious ways of solving the problem. I believe that we should note that modern day Nigeria hasn't been a toursit destination, we do not maintain our history too well, and upon visiting the clay artwork in osogbo (not quite sure the name of the area). I could see that mould had grown over the artifacts, and we were still being charged to enter. The access roads were very narrow and dangerous, certainly not a place where tourists would want to visit. I am not a tourist and even I found it to be an ordeal. There are many other areas I could mention, to prove how our history is slowly being allowed to rot away, we are not protecting the past, and are much to eager to shift to empty land to build skyscrapers than to attack the areas that are slowly depreciating.

Kidnapping is a threat to Nigeria, as even locals feel threatened. This is where a fantastic police system would come handy, but. . as you've guessed we don't even have that. Paranoia is growing in the country and facts like this only seem to worsen the situation.

Instead of adopting situational approaches and concentrating all our efforts on trying to reduce the chances for kidnap. I think it is about time Nigeria developed some dispositional approaches, where they actually attack the cause of the crime and kidnap. That we try and cater for these people or if they are past 'saving' that we remove them from common society and protect the people.
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by Sammy107d(m): 7:35am On Jan 17, 2009
too long mheen. too long
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by ilaugh1: 1:47pm On Jan 17, 2009
Sapphic:

If only we were topping the top ten lists for some laudable achievements, things for don better. bleeping useless country.

That includes you and your whole family - the country is the people, so if Nigeria is useless, it includes you and your family living in there.
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by PapaBrowne(m): 3:58pm On Jan 17, 2009
I find something interesting with this list.

If you observe closely, you'll notice something striking that behavioral scientists might want to look into!

Some of the countries are war torn:
Afghanistan, Iraq, Chechnya and that is pretty understandable.

But the rest of the countries are tropical countries with very high populations.
Brazil, Nigeria, Colombia, Phillipines, Mexico, Haiti and Venezuela.

There is definitely a correlation between kidnapping, population and climatic conditions!
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by BOSS7: 4:16pm On Jan 17, 2009
PapaBrowne:

I find something interesting with this list.

If you observe closely, you'll notice something striking that behavioral scientists might want to look into!

Some of the countries are war torn:
Afghanistan, Iraq, Chechnya and that is pretty understandable.

But the rest of the countries are tropical countries with very high populations.
Brazil, Nigeria, Colombia, Phillipines, Mexico, Haiti and Venezuela.

There is definitely a correlation between kidnapping, population and climatic conditions!

Without trying to criticise, Haiti is not among the world's 50 most populous countries.
Colombia is 27th world's most populous country and has gained notoriety for drug dealing (so kidnapping might be a by-product as a result).
Brazil - is one of world's most populous countries and I think is pretty similar to Nigeria when we consider the climatic conditions.
Mexico and Venezuela are the world's 11th and 4th most populous countries respectiely.

Among these countries listed before Nigeria, only Brazil and Mexico are among the world's top15 most populous countries and (though not really saying that they deserve to be there) but for Nigeria to rank among the likes of Afghanistan, Iraq and even Haiti (the poorest country in the world, isn't that troubling?

So from your list, I think we shouldn't be comparing them in the same line when it comes to reasons for abyssmal rate of kidnap (Nigeria, Venezuela and Haiti).
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by hajifaty: 5:23pm On Jan 17, 2009
One day nigeria Go beta ooo
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by SeanT21(f): 9:58pm On Jan 17, 2009
Ifygurl:

Aren't you a liberian? Why are you insulting your own people.

Anyway Vanguard newspaper were the ones who did the ranking. If you want you're countries name in it. Why don't you go talk to them. I don't think it's a good idea though.

I am not insulting my people~~I am speaking the truth!!
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by tpia: 11:55pm On Jan 17, 2009
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by Hauwa1: 8:41am On Jan 18, 2009
the kidnapping for juju is even worst. many are unsung.

yeah a person's blood can make money, the eyes, breast, private yada yada yada can make money. stupid ignorant illiterate ragamuffin that sees life as nothing but moneyish
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by Kobojunkie: 12:36pm On Jan 18, 2009
You all have it wrong. Following the thinking that seems to be prevalent, the only reason why Nigeria is on that list is  because Nigerians like you and are are not thinking enough happy thoughts.

Please think happy thoughts about Nigeria and the kidnappings with solve themselves. In fact, blame the international organization that decided Nigerian warranted being on that list. Shame on them !! They are racists!

roflmao!!
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by MrCrackles(m): 12:39pm On Jan 18, 2009
Kidnap for where?

Nothing dey shelle, them never born the kidnapper!

Brash is fiyaaaah!
!! grin
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by Hauwa1: 3:40pm On Jan 18, 2009
yeah happy thoughts and cries (suffering and smiling)
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by tpia: 3:47pm On Jan 18, 2009
Re: Go To Nigeria And Be Kidnapped - Nigeria Now Ranked The 6th Kidnapping Country. by PapaBrowne(m): 9:19pm On Jan 18, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

Without trying to criticise, Haiti is not among the world's 50 most populous countries.
Colombia is 27th world's most populous country and has gained notoriety for drug dealing (so kidnapping might be a by-product as a result).
Brazil - is one of world's most populous countries and I think is pretty similar to Nigeria when we consider the climatic conditions.
Mexico and Venezuela are the world's 11th and 4th most populous countries respectiely.

Among these countries listed before Nigeria, only Brazil and Mexico are among the world's top15 most populous countries and (though not really saying that they deserve to be there) but for Nigeria to rank among the likes of Afghanistan, Iraq and even Haiti (the poorest country in the world, isn't that troubling?

So from your list, I think we shouldn't be comparing them in the same line when it comes to reasons for abyssmal rate of kidnap (Nigeria, Venezuela and Haiti).

While Haiti is not one of the world's most populous countries, it happens to be by far the most populous in the Caribbean, with a population three times higher than the next most populous country, Jamaica. Haiti has a population of 10 million, Jamaica=3 million, Bahamas= 400,000 and barbados=300,000.So by Caribbean standards, Haiti has a very massive population
The other countries are well populated.

However, the point i raised (correlation btw population,tropical regions and kidnapping) is just an observation.
I personally don't think there would be any direct correlation. But I like to observe patterns where I see them, and try to understand them and see if there is any hidden thing I can learn from them.

While it might not be conspicuous, if you observe closely, you'll find that kidnappings are successful hence rampant in these tropical countries because, the kidnappers have a very good place to hide their captives = Very thick inaccessible rain forests/mangrove swamps!

So I think my point still stands relevant, even if I don't believe it myself!

(1) (Reply)

Reason Cctv Can Work In The Streets Of Lagos. / Poll - Jonathan's Approval Rating / Rwanda Minister Of Youth And Sport Scandal Photos. Why He Was Sacked.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.