Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,810 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) (7189 Views)

Boxing In Nigeria: A Life Of Hard Knocks For The Poor (PICS) / Where Can I Learn Boxing In Ibadan? / Why Ishola Is Yearning For Professional Boxing In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by sunnykiss(m): 2:09pm On Jan 16, 2009
Competitors crouch down in a ready stance, extending their free, unwrapped hand out as far as their opponent will allow.
The idea is to test your reach, and tempt your opponent to make a move, and maybe leave himself open.

The boxers can stare at each other in this pose for what seems like minutes before striking.
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by debosky(m): 9:03pm On Jan 16, 2009
The name given to this sport (in Northern Nigeria at least) is Dembe.

The men who dedicate their lives to it are wanderers, itinerant labourers in search of fame, or the sons of boxers - born into the ring.

"Dembe", as it is called in Hausa, is exceedingly dangerous. Serious injury, and even death, are a real risk.

One of the few rules in Dembe is that if your fist wrapping comes off, you must stop and re-do it, but not all boxers are so disciplined.

All competitors belong to one of two clans that travel from competition to competition fighting each other over and over again.

Images courtesy of BBC.
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by AloyEmeka9: 10:32pm On Jan 16, 2009
"Dembe", as it is called in Hausa, is exceedingly dangerous. Serious injury, and even death, are a real risk.

Do they have life insurance or they just throw their lives to the dogs for nothing?
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jan 16, 2009
hmm . . .thot it was only thais that were into blood sports - so fight club dey naija as well grin
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by lailai2(m): 11:55pm On Jan 16, 2009
sounds interesting though dangerous
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by SisiJinx: 12:10am On Jan 17, 2009
In Hausa it is called DAMBE and it such an awful sight.

I bet you, you will puke your guts out the first time you sit through one.

Watch Video

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWF_ARr91bs&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by spoilt(f): 2:24am On Jan 17, 2009
Chei Is there a woman at stake like in the sharro? still havent recovered from the sharro i saw. I almost fainted. shocked

is there money to be won by the winner? grin
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by osisi2(f): 2:26am On Jan 17, 2009
The faces look evil.
Do they fight to kill?
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by Raymond88(m): 2:43am On Jan 17, 2009
Seems like a sport i'd like, it may give the UFC a run for its money. grin
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by bawomolo(m): 3:01am On Jan 17, 2009
Raymond88:

Seems like a sport i'd like, it may give the UFC a run for its money. grin

lol now this is the real human cock fighting. lmao@the idiots using charms
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by Gayigaskia(m): 3:11am On Jan 17, 2009
This is so great, i planned to promote big matches of Dambe in around Nigeria and Niger republic when i return home. I think Dambe coupled with Zabuwa or Kokowa ( wrestling) can be a huge profitable business and a way of fulfilling our cultural richness
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by cvibe: 3:57am On Jan 17, 2009
This could turn out to be a big sport if the contestants can be provided with protective gear and also carried out in a proper arena. Gladiators i would say.
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by Nobody: 10:24am On Jan 17, 2009
**osisi:

The faces look evil.
Do they fight to kill?

na wa o. . .a professional fighter is supposed to look like a gentle pushover when in the ring
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by chudie: 10:28am On Jan 17, 2009
I hope this does not end up taking us some steps back to the stone age. Its good but it sort of looks a bit barbaric. Its soo aggressive! our strengths should be channeled into constructive and productive actions and activities abeg. The formal boxing as a sport demands boxing for points but this one, from my understanding, guys box to DOWN the other fellow. Abi no be soo?
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by damilola15: 11:43am On Jan 17, 2009
I watched this thing a CNN. The juju this guys carry is nothing but heavy.
The blood they draw from their opponent is not small at all.
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by D1KeleVra(m): 11:54am On Jan 17, 2009
Mehnnnnnn! This ain't no small thing o!
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 17, 2009
so the arena urge - WWF, Gladiators, Thailand Kick boxing , Modern Boxing etal extends across all cultures

man nad his need to be entertained by gore and blood
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by sherrylo: 3:11pm On Jan 17, 2009
what,what was that? no now,even ultimate fighter no reach that one.I am sure most of those guy don't have life insurance oo.
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jan 17, 2009
Life insurance ke? What got me was that the wrappings they use for binding the punching fist can be dipped in a mixture of glue and broken glass (though its illegal now), and they even wrap charms inside the glove, so if the guys jazz works well, imagine being hit by a glove, with jazz wrapped inside, then the glue n broken glass thingie, I pity the local coach who wants to take this professional, lol
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by lailai2(m): 11:36pm On Jan 17, 2009
i fink if it gets well publicized, then health bodies and other humanity-related bodies will show disapprovement

these guys get mind, chai!!!
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by kingzli(m): 9:20pm On Jan 18, 2009
I don't think it is really so dangerous
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by kingzli(m): 9:22pm On Jan 18, 2009
I don't think it is really so dangerous
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by D1KeleVra(m): 9:31am On Jan 19, 2009
U never jam knuckle.
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by lailai2(m): 5:25am On Jan 20, 2009
if u don chop correct punch b4, u go understand the implication of constant barrages of correct punches possibly mixed with glue and glass as stated grin grin grin grin grin

at least, they gat a ref sha
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by RSA(m): 11:44am On Jan 21, 2009
In South Africa we have the samething but its called "Musangweni",It is practised by Venda people in the northern part of south africa.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/More_Sport/0,,2-9-32_1859751,00.html
No 'Diesel' so 'Zulu' wins
08/01/2006 17:37 - (SA)

Norman Mmbengwa

Johannesburg - This sport is not for the faint-hearted. Here, there are no rules or limits.

Musangwe (traditional, indigenous bare-knuckle fighting) is a well-known sport still practised among Vhavenda people today.

Fighters are allowed to hit with their fists and use their heads and knees to defeat their opponents. The use of muti is also permitted.

Who takes part? Males of any age, even nine year-old boys, can take up the fight.

The recreational sport is a humour-filled one and spectators and referees treat it as such.

The Musangwe event takes place in Gaba village outside Thohoyandou every December.

When we arrived to witness the grand finale the air was thick with anticipation. The locals were looking forward to seeing who would be crowned overall champion. Although Musangwe can be quite dangerous, it enjoys a big following in the area.

The open space next to the dipping tank which doubles as an arena and a ring for fighters was packed to capacity.

About 4 000 people had turned up for the finale to see if Pfarelo "Zulu" Mahadulula would successfully defend his title against challenger Eric "Diesel" Muvhali.

But it is not so much about winning as it is about proving your manhood - "Zulu" was unanimously crowned champion after "Diesel" failed to turn up for the fight.

- City Press

Other links

http://www.journeyman.tv/?lid=57630&tmpl=synopses
http://v.mcomet.com/detail/3011904/
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by Kenezi: 8:56am On Jan 23, 2009
That's not the same thing.
Re: Traditional Boxing In Nigeria (Dembe) by Cholls(m): 10:53pm On Apr 08, 2022
My brother Omo this will be fun

(1) (Reply)

Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? / Mario Balotelli Look Alike With His Younger Brother Enoch / World Cup Awards 2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.