Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,974 members, 7,825,039 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Fact Check: Six Popular Lies About President Goodluck Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fact Check: Six Popular Lies About President Goodluck Jonathan (906 Views)

FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu / FACT CHECK ON DR. OLADOTUN OKUNOLA!!! / A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fact Check: Six Popular Lies About President Goodluck Jonathan by HzRF(m): 11:28am On Mar 17, 2015
“ In election season, parties make claims. Some are true. Some are not, and some are brazen distortions that can easily be checked” – Lior Dattel

In this 2015 election season, a number of claims have been made about President Goodluck Jonathan by both the opposition politicians and members of the public. These allegations include claims that the president hates Northerners as well as claims that he does not care about the Chibok kidnappings.

I’ve highlighted six of the most popular allegations and provided a fact-based response below:

1. The President does not care about Boko Haram victims – FALSE

The president set up a $400m Victim’s Support Fund to provide relief and shelter to victims of Boko Haram’s terrorist atrocities: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2014/08/01/africas-richest-man-aliko-dangote-tony-elumelu-others-raise-400-million-for-terror-victims/. In addition, to prevent allegations of corruption being levelled against him, he appointed the respected General Danjuma and Fola Adeola to serve as Chair and Vice Chair of the fund. In addition, representatives of Nigeria’s Christian and Muslim communities are members of the board. The board also has representative from the PDP and APC as well at the United Nations and the UK Department for International Development. That does not sound like a man who does not care about victims of terror.

2. The President did not care about the Chibok kidnappings – FALSE

People are a bit ignorant of the facts in this case. How can the president not care about the over 200 missing girls?
As widely reported in the media, here is what led to the initial confusion: The officer responsible for providing security to the Chibok area was summoned by his GOC to clarify whether any girls were missing. He told the GOC that none of the girls were missing. That information was said to have been passed to the President and that is believed led to the confusion within the Presidency about the authenticity of the missing girls' story.

As soon as it was discovered that the officer lied, he and 15 other officers were Court martialled and imprisoned for dereliction of duty and lying to their superiors. And this was widely reported in the media.

3. The President hates Northern Nigerians – FALSE

This is another very false claim. This president has built universities in every state of the North that did not have a federal university, as published here: http://www.fuotuoke.edu.ng/infos/nine-fed-universities He is building 125 (103 already completed) Almajiri schools in Northern Nigeria despite the fact that primary and secondary education is the primary responsibility of State Governments. In addition, over 50 per cent of Federal Government subsidies for farmers are concentrated in the North-West and North-East of Nigeria, and the statistics was published: http://www.fmard.gov.ng//gesreport/2013/2013-Report.htm

Should I go on? The President has appointed Northern Nigerians to important offices of the state. The Chief of Defence Staff (Alex Badeh), ADC ( Ojogbane Adegbe), National Security Adviser (Sambo Dasuki), Defence Minister (Aliyu Mohammed), Principal Private Secretary (Awwal Tukur), Foreign Affairs Minister (Aminu Wali), Minister of Justice (Mohammed Adoke) and Education Minister (Ibrahim Shekarau), among so many others, are all from Northern Nigeria.

4. Corruption has gotten worse under the President’s administration – FALSE

Transparency International which is the internationally recognised body for measuring countries corruption perceptions gave Nigeria her highest ever ranking (136 out of 174 countries) under the Goodluck Jonathan’s administration.

5. The Rail Transport reforms are a sham – FALSE

GEJ’s administration rehabilitated the colonial rail network which had been rendered obsolete by past governments. As a result, ordinary Nigerians can travel by rail from Lagos to Kano for 1,900 Naira as opposed to 5,000 Naira by road. It was even well reported in the international mmedia: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21364541 and http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/article_xinhua.aspx?id=255923

In addition, the administration has signed a contract with the Chinese Government to build a fast rail network across the country. The Kaduna to Abuja Standard rail line which is the first phase of the project has been completed. Also, the global accounting firm KPMG has ranked the fast rail project as one of the world’s top 100 infrastructure projects. There’s no way that such a feat can be viewed as a sham.

6. The President has been in office for six years – FALSE

This is one of the easiest to disprove, yet at opposition rallies across the country and on social media, the false claim has been repeated so often that it has begun to sound like the truth.

Let’s do the maths: Jonathan became president of Nigeria on 6th May, 2010, which was a day after ex-president Umaru Musa Yar’adua died after his long battle with an illness. May 2010 to March 2015 is just 4 years and 10 months – not even up to 5 years. This information is available on the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodluck_Jonathan

-Michael Ehioze-Ediae, who is a barrister and chartered insurer, writes via @nigeriasbest

1 Like

Re: Fact Check: Six Popular Lies About President Goodluck Jonathan by ozoigbondu: 11:30am On Mar 17, 2015
APC just cook up lies to tarnish the image of Jonathan.Some of their gullible followers swallow these lies hook line and sinker without asking questions researching or even using their common sense.But their lies and propaganda will contuine to be dismissed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fact Check: Six Popular Lies About President Goodluck Jonathan by sayemma: 11:37am On Mar 17, 2015
We will know if it is lies or not

Nigerians will reply Jonathan march 28 if he likes let him promise atiku heaven on earth
Re: Fact Check: Six Popular Lies About President Goodluck Jonathan by yahx(m): 11:39am On Mar 17, 2015
Nigeria itself is a fat lie
GEJ till good opposition surface 2019
Re: Fact Check: Six Popular Lies About President Goodluck Jonathan by bodejohn(m): 11:48am On Mar 17, 2015
The facts are laid bare...Height ranking is 121st in 2008.
The results plummeted with the current regime contributed to by both ruling and opposition party leaders.

Corruption Perceptions Index between 2007 and 2014 for Nigeria.

CPI 2007 - Nigeria - 147th out of 180 Countries
CPI 2008 - Nigeria - 121st out of 180 Countries
CPI 2009 - Nigeria - 130th out of 180 Countries
CPI 2010 - Nigeria - 134th out of 178 Countries
CPI 2011 - Nigeria - 143rd out of 183 Countries
CPI 2012 - Nigeria - 139th out of 176 Countries
CPI 2013 - Nigeria - 144th out of 177 Countries
CPI 2014 - Nigeria - 136th out of 175 Countries

Source: http://www.transparency.org/
Re: Fact Check: Six Popular Lies About President Goodluck Jonathan by tp10: 11:54am On Mar 17, 2015
sponsored post
Re: Fact Check: Six Popular Lies About President Goodluck Jonathan by dulux07(m): 12:05pm On Mar 17, 2015
Hmmmm, he did nt visit d affected area, claimed it was unsafe, but went there for campaign, he didnt visit d victims, until d intervention of malala.

Citizens wer killed n d president was caught dancing in a party d nxt day, thousands r bin killed in d north n d president said he underestimated bh. SMH, R u telling me it's a coincidence dat d president is fightin BH fews days to electn undecided If BH saga had happened in d south south, would d president ve acted d same way?

Really, so r u nw saying corruptn has reduced during gej tenure, lets b realistic.abeg., now its even celebrated, d likes allison, obanikoro, ffk, alameisiagha etc

Whether 4 or 6 yrs, u dont nid all d yearz to make a huge impact, yar adua only spent 2yrs n he made a huge impact, fashola spent 4 yrs in lagos n made a huge impact as well.

D train is d only true thing, but d facts still remains corruptn will eat up d train sector he developed if gej remains, because he could not fight it.

These r jst my opinions as a nigerian, living in nigeria, i guess d op livs abroad for him to say corruptn has reduced. No offense.
Re: Fact Check: Six Popular Lies About President Goodluck Jonathan by ginawest(f): 12:26pm On Mar 17, 2015
dulux07:
Hmmmm, he did nt visit d affected area, claimed it was unsafe, but went there for campaign, he didnt visit d victims, until d intervention of malala.

Citizens wer killed n d president was caught dancing in a party d nxt day, thousands r bin killed in d north n d president said he underestimated bh. SMH, R u telling me it's a coincidence dat d president is fightin BH fews days to electn undecided If BH saga had happened in d south south, would d president ve acted d same way?

Really, so r u nw saying corruptn has reduced during gej tenure, lets b realistic.abeg., now its even celebrated, d likes allison, obanikoro, ffk, alameisiagha etc

Whether 4 or 6 yrs, u dont nid all d yearz to make a huge impact, yar adua only spent 2yrs n he made a huge impact, fashola spent 4 yrs in lagos n made a huge impact as well.

D train is d only true thing, but d facts still remains corruptn will eat up d train sector he developed if gej remains, because he could not fight it.

These r jst my opinions as a nigerian, living in nigeria, i guess d op livs abroad for him to say corruptn has reduced. No offense.

since d days of Abraham,Nigeria has bin a corrupt country....it won't b izy to fight it in jes 4 years..wot GEJ nids z awa prayers,support n cooperation.
Re: Fact Check: Six Popular Lies About President Goodluck Jonathan by dulux07(m): 12:34pm On Mar 17, 2015
ginawest:
since d days of Abraham,Nigeria has bin a corrupt country....it won't b izy to fight it in jes 4 years..wot GEJ nids z awa prayers,support n cooperation.

true, dats y we appoint leaders n hope they will take action. We r not saying stop corruptn, dats impossible, but reduce it, this regime celebrates it, wen he couldnt declare his asset, pardoned criminals, defended aviatn/petroleum minister, these r not good signs, imagine obanikoro appointed minister, jst after riggin electn. I mean its crazy. lets continue to pray for our country not gej.
Re: Fact Check: Six Popular Lies About President Goodluck Jonathan by paBuhari(m): 12:36pm On Mar 17, 2015
I regret the comments I made about boko haram. Truly I am. That's why am heading back to daura.
Re: Fact Check: Six Popular Lies About President Goodluck Jonathan by stronger: 12:37pm On Mar 17, 2015
HzRF:

I’ve highlighted six of the most popular allegations and provided a fact-based response below:

1. The President does not care about Boko Haram victims – FALSE

The president set up a $400m Victim’s Support Fund to provide relief and shelter to victims of Boko Haram’s terrorist atrocities: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2014/08/01/africas-richest-man-aliko-dangote-tony-elumelu-others-raise-400-million-for-terror-victims/. In addition, to prevent allegations of corruption being levelled against him, he appointed the respected General Danjuma and Fola Adeola to serve as Chair and Vice Chair of the fund. In addition, representatives of Nigeria’s Christian and Muslim communities are members of the board. The board also has representative from the PDP and APC as well at the United Nations and the UK Department for International Development. That does not sound like a man who does not care about victims of terror.

2. The President did not care about the Chibok kidnappings – FALSE

People are a bit ignorant of the facts in this case. How can the president not care about the over 200 missing girls?
As widely reported in the media, here is what led to the initial confusion: The officer responsible for providing security to the Chibok area was summoned by his GOC to clarify whether any girls were missing. He told the GOC that none of the girls were missing. That information was said to have been passed to the President and that is believed led to the confusion within the Presidency about the authenticity of the missing girls' story.

As soon as it was discovered that the officer lied, he and 15 other officers were Court martialled and imprisoned for dereliction of duty and lying to their superiors. And this was widely reported in the media.

3. The President hates Northern Nigerians – FALSE

This is another very false claim. This president has built universities in every state of the North that did not have a federal university, as published here: http://www.fuotuoke.edu.ng/infos/nine-fed-universities He is building 125 (103 already completed) Almajiri schools in Northern Nigeria despite the fact that primary and secondary education is the primary responsibility of State Governments. In addition, over 50 per cent of Federal Government subsidies for farmers are concentrated in the North-West and North-East of Nigeria, and the statistics was published: http://www.fmard.gov.ng//gesreport/2013/2013-Report.htm

Should I go on? The President has appointed Northern Nigerians to important offices of the state. The Chief of Defence Staff (Alex Badeh), ADC ( Ojogbane Adegbe), National Security Adviser (Sambo Dasuki), Defence Minister (Aliyu Mohammed), Principal Private Secretary (Awwal Tukur), Foreign Affairs Minister (Aminu Wali), Minister of Justice (Mohammed Adoke) and Education Minister (Ibrahim Shekarau), among so many others, are all from Northern Nigeria.

4. Corruption has gotten worse under the President’s administration – FALSE

Transparency International which is the internationally recognised body for measuring countries corruption perceptions gave Nigeria her highest ever ranking (136 out of 174 countries) under the Goodluck Jonathan’s administration.

5. The Rail Transport reforms are a sham – FALSE

GEJ’s administration rehabilitated the colonial rail network which had been rendered obsolete by past governments. As a result, ordinary Nigerians can travel by rail from Lagos to Kano for 1,900 Naira as opposed to 5,000 Naira by road. It was even well reported in the international mmedia: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21364541 and http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/article_xinhua.aspx?id=255923

In addition, the administration has signed a contract with the Chinese Government to build a fast rail network across the country. The Kaduna to Abuja Standard rail line which is the first phase of the project has been completed. Also, the global accounting firm KPMG has ranked the fast rail project as one of the world’s top 100 infrastructure projects. There’s no way that such a feat can be viewed as a sham.

6. The President has been in office for six years – FALSE

This is one of the easiest to disprove, yet at opposition rallies across the country and on social media, the false claim has been repeated so often that it has begun to sound like the truth.

Let’s do the maths: Jonathan became president of Nigeria on 6th May, 2010, which was a day after ex-president Umaru Musa Yar’adua died after his long battle with an illness. May 2010 to March 2015 is just 4 years and 10 months – not even up to 5 years. This information is available on the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodluck_Jonathan

-Michael Ehioze-Ediae, who is a barrister and chartered insurer, writes via @nigeriasbest

First of all, these are NOT the most popular allegations! You already started your FACT-CHECKING with FALSEHOOD!!
6 years? Popular lie? When it is easily checked! Please! "hates northern" Nigeria, railway sham? these may be allegations but they are NOT the most popular. They are just the allegations that you thought you could prove! Yes, the Boko Haram and Chibok allegations are popular.

But let me address them;

1. The president does not care about Boko haram.
Actually this is false! He cares about them so much that he called them HIS family! LOL!
Listen, the President himself said he under-estimated them. In other words initially he practically didn't think much of it.. Which is why it took them 4 years (and only because of ELECTIONS) to really take the war to them! before then, it was all sorts of excuses;
We can't enter sambisa, it is too big! But they have invaded sambisa abi?
Chad and co are a problem. But they have managed to form a coalition with them abi?
I won't say the president didn't care about them, I will say he was simply INEFFECTIVE!! simple! This is the allegation! Don't twist it!

2. the President did not care about the Chibok girls
This is one that is close to me. I can write a whole page on this! He Absolutely did not care about them!!!
(a) The military had 4 hours forewarning of the kidnap! They didn't do anything! Did GEJ punish anyone for that? No!!
(b) Even after he heard they got kidnapped, he didn't make a simple statement. He went for a rally! who does that? When The jordanian pilot was killed, (ONE PERSON O), the King IMMEDIATELY left a meeting with obama and went home STRAIGHT!! GEj went to dance!
(c) It took GEj TWO WEEKSSSS!!!!! to make a statement on the girls. 2 whole weeks!! just a simple statement!! Is that someone that cares about them? If his daughter was there would he do that?
(d) when he eventually talked, he wqs even blaming the poor parents for not cooperating with the police! What kind of heart is that?
(e) Up until the last media chat, GEj was mocking the #BringbackOurGirls movement that single handedly brought so much attention to the abduction.

let me stop here.

GEJ did NOT care about the girls. He still doesn't. They are simply in the way of his re-election.

(3)GEj hates Northern Nigerians
I have no evidence to believe this is true! But when his "other half" says "we no be like dem for dat side (Northerners). We no dey born anyhow throway children", it really makes you think!!

(4) Corruption has gotten worse under the president's administration
I believe corruption is just as bad as Obasanjo's time!! Which clearly shows that PDP should be KICKED OUT!!
Don't be too quick to compare using TI's CPI. I am very conversant with it! The methodology changed a few years ago and TI makes it clear that you should not compare indices across years! That said, we are still the 27th MOST CORRUPT COUNTRY and out CPI is 27 which means VERY CORRUPT! No cause for celebration!
also, pardoning EX-CONVICTS is not a good way to show you are serious about corruption

(5) I don't believe the railway is a COMPLETE SHAM!! But there is proof that some advertised lines are either not working, have been faked or that the actual trains have been MOVED somewhere else for recomissioning!

check out Tolu Ogunlesi's fact-finding mission he did a few weeks ago and another journalist also came up with similar findings. Do some check and let's talk!

(6) Not worth responding to! The records are there for all. This has never been a serious allegation by serious people.

generally, please come back and defend real allegations!

(1) (Reply)

This Is President Jonathan For You By Omojuwa / President GEJ And Family Arrives For Accreditation / When Gov.fashola Follows Me On Twitter,then You Got Me Some Slacks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.