Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,009 members, 7,825,149 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu (25009 Views)

Buhari Gets Upper Hand In Senate Confirmation Battle / Malami Asks Tony Ojukwu To Resume As NHRC Boss Without Senate Confirmation / 7 Governors Implicated In Anti-magu’s Plot To Stop The Senate Confirmation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by sarrki(m): 2:44pm On Dec 17, 2016
On Thursday, the Nigerian Senate declined to confirm the appointment of Ibrahim Magu as substantive chair of the country’s premier anti-graft agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The upper legislative chamber claimed it could not approve the presidency’s request to confirm Mr. Magu based on a security report forwarded to it by the State Security Service.

“The Senate wishes to inform the public that based on available security report, the Senate cannot proceed with the confirmation of Ibrahim Magu as Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission,” the spokesperson for the Senate, Aliyu Abdullahi, said in a statement read to journalists.

“The nomination of Ibrahim Magu is hereby rejected and has been returned to the President for further action,” Mr. Abdullahi said.

The Senate did not provide the EFCC chairman an opportunity to respond to the allegations against him.

PREMIUM TIMES has obtained details of the security report on which the lawmakers based their decision and has investigated the claims against Mr. Magu.

We fact-checked some of the claims made by the SSS, and below are our findings:

ALLEGATION ONE: That during the tenure of Farida Waziri as EFCC chairperson, sensitive documents were found in Mr. Magu’s home.

The facts do not support that claim. A reporter for this newspaper extensively reported that event in 2008 when it happened, and is familiar with what transpired at the time.

Based on pressure from political gladiators of the period (among which were former Governors James Ibori and Bukola Saraki), then President Musa Yar’Adua unceremoniously removed Nuhu Ribadu as chairman of the EFCC.

After Mr. Ribadu’s departure, his successor, Mrs. Waziri, frustrated some of his closest and most resourceful aides in the commission, and harassed them for prolonged period.

Mr. Magu, who was a chief superintendent of police at the time, was sent away from the EFCC and his Lagos and Abuja homes were raided by operatives even before he had the opportunity to hand over to Umar Sanda as head of the Economic Governance Unit of the commission. He was later detained for three weeks.

Following complaints by Mrs. Waziri, the then Inspector General of Police, Mike Okiro, queried Mr. Magu, accusing him of serious misconduct. One of the allegations against him was that he removed and withheld EFCC files.

On August 25, 2008, Mr. Magu replied the query, explaining to the IGP that no unauthorized EFCC official documents were found in his home.

“I wish to state that the nature of my assignment at the EFCC is such that I worked round the clock and it was impossible for me to do my work effectively without working on some documents at home,” he wrote to Mr. Okiro at the time. “This is the reason I maintain an office bag where documents relating to investigations were kept. The documents listed were found in my office bag which I was in the process of handing over and were not found hidden anywhere in my house.

“It is therefore not the correct position to say that I bluntly refused to hand over EFCC’s property and documents. I had just concluded handing over the Abuja office and I was in Lagos to conclude handing over the Lagos office when the search was conducted. At the time of the search, I had not reported to my new command. It could therefore not be my intention to keep government documents in my house.

“I have suffered untold humiliation within the past one month. My home was ransacked, vandalized and my properties destroyed by men of the EFCC. I was detained in a cell meant for hardened criminals most of whom are armed robbers for three weeks. My health condition deteriorated as a result of his inhuman treatment meted out to me for doing my job diligently and with the pride required of a senior police officer of my rank in the Nigerian Police Force.

“I humbly implore the Inspector General of Police to totally exonerate me from blame and the said acts of serious misconduct because I was not involved and I am not involved. I will never be discouraged in my unrelenting war against crime and its associated manifestations as enshrined in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

After investigation, the police IG exonerated Mr. Magu, posted him to the police’s Special Fraud Unit and promoted him to the rank of Assistant Commissioner of Police shortly afterwards.

ALLEGATION TWO: That Mr. Magu currently occupies a residence rented for N40 million at N20 million per annum. This accommodation was not paid [for] from the commission’s (EFCC) finances, but by one Umar Mohammed, air commodore retired.

This claim is also untrue.

PREMIUM TIMES has obtained evidence showing the property in question was paid for by the Federal Capital Development Administration, and not Mr. Umar.

The E-Payment schedule, dated March 31, was issued by to the branch controller of Central Bank, Abuja, in favour of M/S Valcour SA Nigeria Limited.

The company was paid N39.628 million as payment for two-year rent and furnishing of the property, located in upscale Maitama district of Abuja.

The payment schedule was signed by Isiyaku Ismaila and confirmed by Zanna A. Hamza.

Mr. Magu lived in Karu, a suburb of Abuja, before his appointment as acting EFCC chair. With his new position, Mr. Magu moved into an official residence provided by the FCDA.

ALLEGATION 3: That the acting EFCC chairman regularly embarked on official and private trips through a private jet owned by embattled Air Commodore Mohammed Umar (Rtd).

PREMIUM TIMES checks show that this is not entirely correct. Our investigations indicate that Mr. Magu first met Mr. Umar when both of them worked as members of the Presidential Committee on the investigation of arms procurement. At the time, Mr. Umar was very close to President Muhammadu Buhari and had unlimited access to the presidential villa. Both men became close during the assignment.

Our investigations indicate that once this year, Mr. Magu travelled to Kano in company of EFCC’s director of finance and that in charge of organizational support. Those familiar with the trip said on their way back to Abuja, Mr. Umar, who at the time remained Mr. Magu’s colleague at the presidential committee, and who was at the time not in any trouble with the SSS, gave the two officials a lift.

We are unable to find any evidence that Mr. Magu flew in Mr. Umar’s private jet at any other time. Neither were we able to establish that the EFCC chairman flew to Maiduguri alongside Mr. Umar and a bank MD being investigated by the EFCC over complicity in funds allegedly stolen by former Petroleum Minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke.

While some insiders at the commission denied the allegation, we could not independently verify the claims.

ALLEGATION 4: On 24 June, 2016, he (Magu) flew Emirate airlines first-class to Saudi Arabia to perform lesser hajj at the cost of N2.9m. This is in spite of Mr President’s directive to all public servants to fly economy class.

Insiders say while it was true that Mr. Magu indeed flew first class to Saudi Arabia for lesser hajj, he did not pay for the ticket with public funds. We could not however confirm this claim independently.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/218293-fact-check-senate-confirmation-how-sss-lied-against-efcc-boss-magu.html

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by Noblesoul123: 2:46pm On Dec 17, 2016
This looks like a sponsored publication. The best thing that Magu should do is to prove his innocence in terms of the allegations contained in the Secret Report beyond reasonable doubt. Providing documentary evidence of flight manifest, title deeds of his rented house etc, will go a long way to help his case.

As for Premium Times It's very interesting that just two days ago, the Senate made public the reason for the non-confirmation of Magu based on a security report by the DSS and just two days later, Premium Times has conducted and concluded a report that exonerates Magu of any wrong-doing?
Magu and his supporters that are sure to take over this thread should defend him with hard evidence. We are tired of propaganda.

We are also keenly watching this show of shame

73 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by sarrki(m): 2:48pm On Dec 17, 2016
Hmmmm

Wailers food is ready

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 17, 2016
The secretary to the government is corrupt.....embezzling money meant for people who have seen hell at the hands of Boko haram.

The chairman of the government's premier anti-corruption body is corrupt, hobnobbing with the people he is supposed to prosecute.

Amaechi has been accused by two supreme court justices of trying at various times to bribe them in a bid to get favourable judgments. The government never reacted to those allegations, and Amaechi still remains a minister.

Yet Buhari thinks he is fighting corruption. undecided undecided

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by fulaniHERDSman(m): 2:48pm On Dec 17, 2016
No facts here joor ... just sillly bedroom conjectures to suit whoever paid for this publication cool cool

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by fulaniHERDSman(m): 2:48pm On Dec 17, 2016
sarrki:
Hmmmm

Wailers food is ready
Buharri just scammed his way into ASSOROCK for one reason .... TO CONTINUOSLY HAVE UNHINDERED ACCESS TO OUR COMMON WEALTH so as to enjoy the GOOD THINGS OF LIFE.

He has no plan for any other person nor the country. Very typical of the northern elite!

I regret campaigning blindlingly and voting for this hateful and greedy GOAT.

"Wailers" please find a place in your good hearts to forgive me cry cry

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by Cmeo(m): 2:48pm On Dec 17, 2016
I am happy that this got to frontpage.

#SenateconfirmMagunow#

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by OBAGADAFFI: 2:49pm On Dec 17, 2016
But the DSS is working for the Presidency, why are they fighting President appointees

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by Nobody: 2:50pm On Dec 17, 2016
Ok.
All these allegations against one person and he is still walking free....to the extent that he is even planning to take the highest position in the EFCC.
I must tell you, Nigeria (My country) is fantastically corrupt. David couldn't have used non-other correct adjective than that.
Soon, Wailers vs Zombies will litter this place with their disgusting and needless arguments.
Awon weyrey(Maaad fellow) gbogbo

5 Likes

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by Elkay3: 2:50pm On Dec 17, 2016
Even without debunking such claims, we all ought to know their dirty side.

1 Like

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by arafone(m): 2:50pm On Dec 17, 2016
Na dem sabi
Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by sarrki(m): 2:51pm On Dec 17, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:
But the DSS is working for the Presidency, why are they fighting President appointees

Baba is a good man

He's neutral in all

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 17, 2016
where does chairman of EFCC get M2.9m for air ticket?

13 Likes

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by ThePathfinder(m): 2:51pm On Dec 17, 2016
This country can frustrate its citizens.

6 Likes

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by wowmenow: 2:52pm On Dec 17, 2016
Buhari his not in control

He has loss is government

8 Likes

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by Maydfourth: 2:52pm On Dec 17, 2016
Please leave this man alone...
Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by Miles300: 2:52pm On Dec 17, 2016
Abeg make dem fix economy , so much wahala over this more than a year administration ... Useless leaders like say all of dem no corrupt !

1 Like

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by miqos02(m): 2:52pm On Dec 17, 2016
wow
Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by aminho(m): 2:53pm On Dec 17, 2016
Hmm oya food is ready
Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by LesbianBoy(m): 2:53pm On Dec 17, 2016
Noblesoul123:
This looks like a sponsored publication. The best thing that Magu should do is to prove his innocence in terms of the allegations contained in the Secret Report beyond reasonable doubt. Providing documentary evidence of flight manifest, title deeds of his rented house etc, will go a long way to help his case

Chikina! cool

8 Likes

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by olan4ward: 2:53pm On Dec 17, 2016
Commot for front.Na that one go put food on my table

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by patchsk(f): 2:53pm On Dec 17, 2016
thrash

1 Like

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by Bizibi(m): 2:53pm On Dec 17, 2016
Hmmm,rule number 1
Don't get your hands dirty on the job,it will surely taint your image at the right time.

2 Likes

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by Martinola(m): 2:53pm On Dec 17, 2016
ok
Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by lollypeezle(m): 2:54pm On Dec 17, 2016
Uhmmn, we nigerians are watching

I know for sure, every sector of the nigerian government has failed us

Y d fuss

1 Like

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by DropShot: 2:54pm On Dec 17, 2016
The Senate is a congregation of thieves and criminals who will do anything to have a corrupt EFCC chairman instead of an upright Magu.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by segzy17: 2:55pm On Dec 17, 2016
Naija.....a land of drama
Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by bettercreature(m): 2:55pm On Dec 17, 2016
wowmenow:
Buhari his not in control

He has loss is government
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by Noblesoul123: 2:55pm On Dec 17, 2016
vodutive:
where does chairman of EFCC get M2.9m for air ticket?
A public servant for that matter!!!

4 Likes

Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by sarrki(m): 2:55pm On Dec 17, 2016
DropShot:
The Senate is a congregation of thieves and criminals who will do anything to have a corrupt EFCC chairman instead of an upright Magu.

Naso bro
Re: FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu by sekundosekundo: 2:55pm On Dec 17, 2016
Sarrki sounds like Saraki.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Looters' List: Stella Oduah Reacts To The Inclusion Of Her Name By Lai Mohammed / Kayode Ogundamisi Mocks Ezekwesili For Withdrawing From Presidential Race / Yahaya Bello: Buhari Is The Most Democratic Ex-Military Head Of State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.