Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,627 members, 7,820,215 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) (3353 Views)

10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. / Popular Misconceptions About The Igbos / Top 10 Misconceptions About The Yoruba Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by liveyourlife: 9:42pm On Mar 17, 2015
1. That Africa is a country.

2. That we all speak a dialect called African. (Like WTF??)

3. That we have lions, tigers and bears - oh my!

4. That we are all naked and running around with the above. (I wish)

5. That we all have AIDS.

6. And now, that we all have Ebola.

7. That all Africans are acquainted with all other Africans, regardless of country, state or city. Oh wait - #1 comes back to mind.

8. That we live in trees - how would that even work?

9. That we are all BLACK as charcoal with afro type hair. (Have u seen Tonto?)

10. That those of us who no longer live there are so HAPPY to be abroad. (visit Nairaland)

A few things my fellow students said when I was in boarding school in
the USA:

1. "Aren't you supposed to be really skinny with your ribs showing since you're African?"

2. "Don't you have AIDS though?"

3. "Is that mark from when you fought with a lion?" (I'm not kidding)

4. "Do you know my friend Paul? He is from Africa too!"

5. "But you're not really African like those wild people on tv. You're more like us."

Like what? human? Lols.

So Dear Foreigners...
If you know nothing about the African continent. Know that beyond the negative, often inaccurate and incomplete images and stories the media shows - we really are just people, like you.

Source: http://www.quora.com/What-are-some-things-foreigners-believe-about-Africa-but-Africans-know-are-laughably-way-off

Looking for a School? Find The Best School Around You,

2 Likes

Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by Nobody: 10:05pm On Mar 17, 2015
And as for stereotype, they think most africans smell. Maybe true, cosquite a number of us sweat a lot and don't make use of that invention called deodorant.
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by Nobody: 10:06pm On Mar 17, 2015
lmao! insulting, but funny.
I hate it when they say stuff like that.
cos the only difference btwn them and us is skin color!! my opinion tho.
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by sarmiie(m): 11:39pm On Mar 17, 2015
first time i ever chilled wif a white chick, i heard "dont you guys, like wear less over there though"??

made my blood boil.....but i remembered what chimamanda said in ted talks, so i replied

"arent all americans lazy and uncultured??"

we never talked again.

Good riddance!!!!

7 Likes

Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by liveyourlife: 2:32am On Mar 18, 2015
qbd2:
And as for stereotype, they think most africans smell. Maybe true, cosquite a number of us sweat a lot and don't make use of that invention called deodorant.

C'mon that's not true at all. By the way, are u African?
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by liveyourlife: 2:33am On Mar 18, 2015
EroticAngelina:

You are perfectly on point. dazall!
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by Nobody: 4:56am On Mar 18, 2015
qbd2:

Well most whites smell like wet nasty dogs.

4 Likes

Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by Nobody: 7:51am On Mar 18, 2015
liveyourlife:

C'mon that's not true at all. By the way, are u African?

Dats not true? Hmm. Yes I'm african and dats just something oi know and its better we b frank with one another nd change things.
Like I said earlier its a stereotype.
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by bigfrancis21: 3:24pm On Mar 18, 2015
Lmao. That's very true.

Unfortunately, the media isn't helping to portray the true image of Africa to the west. All they see in the news are images of starving and dying children, poverty, wars, animals on animal planet and nat geo wild, etc. Many of them are born and raised with this belief and it comes as a big shock to them when they get to learn the truth.
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by kemiola89(f): 7:05pm On Mar 18, 2015
This is stupidity undecided believing the whole of Africa to be a country? I do know they know just little about the African continent but what I didn't know is how high to the moon their level of ignorance could get.

Or this is probably exaggerated!

2 Likes

Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by liveyourlife: 11:27pm On Mar 18, 2015
aim5:

Well most whites smell like wet nasty dogs.

haha. :-) Which kind beef u dey chop on their head?
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by Nobody: 11:35pm On Mar 18, 2015
liveyourlife:

haha. :-) Which kind beef u dey chop on their head?

It's true some of them smell like wet dogs, especially in the rain..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by bigfrancis21: 11:38pm On Mar 18, 2015
kemiola89:
This is stupidity undecided believing the whole of Africa to be a country? I do know they know just little about the African continent but what I didn't know is how high to the moon their level of ignorance could get.

My guess is that you have never travelled out to America or Europe before. Some Americans think that Africa is a country and Nigeria, Ghana and Kenya are cities in the country. LOL! Until you travel out and get to experience the massive ignorance about Africa then you will know.
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by liveyourlife: 11:38pm On Mar 18, 2015
kemiola89:

lol
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by Nobody: 11:57am On Mar 19, 2015
No need for irritation, just flow with the ignorance and add more ridiculous tales to it.
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by liveyourlife: 1:16am On Mar 20, 2015
bigfrancis21:

My guess is that you have never travelled out to America or Europe before. Some Americans think that Africa is a country and Nigeria, Ghana and Kenya are cities in the country. LOL! Until you travel out and get to experience the massive ignorance about Africa then you will know.

Very hilarious but sadly true. And they call themselves "enlightened'.
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by Nobody: 1:26am On Mar 20, 2015
liveyourlife:

Very hilarious but sadly true. And they call themselves "enlightened'.

Trust me, I've lived in the US for most of my life and the vast majority of Americans are just painfully ignorant.
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by liveyourlife: 1:12pm On Mar 20, 2015
aim5:

Trust me, I've lived in the US for most of my life and the vast majority of Americans are just painfully ignorant.

My next topic should be Misconceptions Africans Have About Americans and Europeans.

And to imagine that our African fathers of old thought they were gods to the extent of putting their hands they used to shake Europeans in their pockets for weeks. (How Europe Underdeveloped Africa - Walter Rodney).

Thank God for the World Wars. They were really eye openers for the Black man.
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by Nobody: 2:54pm On Mar 20, 2015
liveyourlife:

My next topic should be Misconceptions Africans Have About Americans and Europeans.

And to imagine that our African fathers of old thought they were gods to the extent of putting their hands they used to shake Europeans in their pockets for weeks. (How Europe Underdeveloped Africa - Walter Rodney).

Thank God for the World Wars. They were really eye openers for the Black man.

It's not a misconception, most White Americans are indeed very ignorant.
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by liveyourlife: 3:59pm On Mar 20, 2015
aim5:

It's not a misconception, most White Americans are indeed very ignorant.

I didn't mean what you said was a misconception. I am talking about misconceptions Africans have in general that the white man is Superior. :-)

1 Like

Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by Nobody: 11:23pm On Mar 20, 2015
qbd2:

But they smell too
and I for one, cannot stand the rank smell of lipsrsealed people when I am underground

I think there is a distinct smell associated with the different races...
When I am in the gym, the ooze from the very different skin types around me...always make me wish I am making a bad stench too
Like, I would just be literally wishing..."Lawd! I hope these people cannot stand the otherness of my smell, I hope my sweat smells really horrible to them the way theirs does to me"
True. I just hold my breath. A lot. The one that just about kills me is the white smell

I keep wishing I could meet a white or Asian person that I could ask "do I smell? Badly? How bad is this smell? Cos you smell pretty, really bad to me!" A person that would not not get all politically correct and instead would tell me the truth of whether I smell to them too
And oh yeah...a few days ago, I believe I could smell the stew I made on my scarf! True story! I wondered what it would be doing to my neighbours on the train, and I was glad at the thought that it could be a bad smell to them! cheesy
My little way of rebelling against ...well...a lot

I swear, there is no hatred for any race in this post
If you people don't know the smell I talk about, ignore this post
Maybe I have dysnosmia....or olfactory hallucinations

3 Likes

Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by Filashade(f): 4:31pm On Mar 21, 2015
milychocs:

But they smell too
and I for one, cannot stand the rank smell of lipsrsealed people when I am underground

When I am in the gym, the ooze from the very different skin types around me...always make me wish I am making a bad stench too
Like, I would just be literally wishing..."Lawd! I hope these people cannot stand the otherness of my smell, I hope my sweat smells really horrible to them the way theirs is to me"
True. I just hold my breath. A lot. The one that just about kills me is the white smell

I keep wishing I could meet a white or Asian person that I could ask "do I smell? Badly? How bad is this smell? Cos you smell pretty, really bad to me!" A person that would not not get all politically correct and instead would tell me the truth of whether I smell to them too
And oh yeah...a few days ago, I believe I could smell the stew I made on my scarf! True story! I wondered what it would be doing to my neighbours on the train, and I was glad at the thought that it could be a bad smell to them! cheesy

lolllllllllllllll. Ur a joker. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by liveyourlife: 5:24am On Apr 14, 2015
Filashade:

lolllllllllllllll. Ur a joker. grin grin grin grin

yea. so hilarious cheesy

Are you a teacher or School head? Improve ur students Grades. Visit http://Classroom. .ng
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by sarmiie(m): 10:24pm On Apr 15, 2015
milychocs:

But they smell too

Like, I would just be literally wishing..."Lawd! I hope these people cannot stand the otherness of my smell, I hope my sweat smells really horrible to them the way theirs does to me"

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
when i first got here, the smell bothered me to no end.....
i think we all really do smell...
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by Nobody: 11:25pm On Apr 15, 2015
sarmiie:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
when i first got here, the smell bothered me to no end.....
i think we all really do smell...

Lol
cheesy
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by lepasharon(f): 12:52am On Apr 22, 2015
So true about the oyinbo smell,its like a mixture of stale cigarettes and other nastiness.
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by yhusiee(f): 9:14pm On Apr 23, 2015
And dey keep tellin us we dont read?
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by Ewuro4: 1:25am On Apr 24, 2015
Because they're dumb and ignorant.

Their govt should budget money into their education program to fund Afican history with their existing school board curriculum.
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by xamuell: 11:57am On Oct 28, 2019
cos
the only difference btwn them and us is skin color!! my opinion tho.
I would also consider intellectual capabilities. Most blacks have lower IQ(my opinion). While most whites have higher intellects as a result of their belief in almost anything and other factors of course. Religion is Healthy but truthfully, Africans restrict some possibilities under their religious ideology. The first step of becoming like the whites is believing in the possibilities of the impossible. Why are we stagnant whereas the so called SECULAR nations thrive? Belief, selflessness and patriotism creates a true civilization. And for now, Africa is not any of that. Think deeper.
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by khia: 11:45am On Oct 29, 2019

The op didn't say what color the Americans were so how do you know their skin is different from yours?
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by khia: 11:46am On Oct 29, 2019
xamuell:
I would also consider intellectual capabilities. Most blacks have lower IQ(my opinion). While most whites have higher intellects as a result of their belief in almost anything and other factors of course. Religion is Healthy but truthfully, Africans restrict some possibilities under their religious ideology. The first step of becoming like the whites is believing in the possibilities of the impossible. Why are we stagnant whereas the so called SECULAR nations thrive? Belief, selflessness and patriotism creates a true civilization. And for now, Africa is not any of that. Think deeper.

You're an idiot.
Re: Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) by khia: 11:48am On Oct 29, 2019
Ewuro4:
Because they're dumb and ignorant.

Their govt should budget money into their education program to fund Afican history with their existing school board curriculum.

The American government doesn't care about Africa or Africans other than the resources she can steal from mother Africa.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Samoan Proverbs / Origin Of The Osu Caste System? / An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.