Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,854 members, 7,817,528 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Photo: Little Girl Writes Note To Black Friend About Parents' Racism - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Photo: Little Girl Writes Note To Black Friend About Parents' Racism (1055 Views)

This Little Girl Got Married In Northern Nigeria (Unconfirmed) / Missing Little Girl In Cocain Village Port Harcourt / I Told My Friend About Her Result, Now She's Has Been Admitted In The Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photo: Little Girl Writes Note To Black Friend About Parents' Racism by hatux: 10:32pm On Mar 17, 2015
A little girl wrote this letter to say that she
wasn’t allowed to attend her friend’s birthday
party because she is black.
There was one guest missing from a 10-year-old’s
birthday party Friday after her friend said she
couldn’t attend because the birthday girl was
black.
Harmony Jones celebrated her tenth birthday
with a slumber party last week, but one of her
friends, a white classmate, sent a handwritten
note declining the invitation. “Maby [sic] I will
not be able to come to your birthday sleepover,
because my dad will not let me go because you
are black,” the note said. “Not trying to be races
[sic], but my mom let me go. Happy birthday!”

Harmony met this friend at Highland Oaks
Elementary School in Memphis, Tenn., where they
are classmates. “This is my daughter’s first time
going to that particular school,” Harmony’s
father, Christopher Jones, told WHBQ. “They
strike up a friendship. So what would seem to be
an innocent friendship, [I] never thought anything
like this would happen.” (Jones has not yet
responded to an interview request from Yahoo
Parenting.)
Harmony Jones didn’t let the letter ruin her
birthday party sleepover. Photo: WREG
Jones told WREG that he never expected his
daughter to encounter such prejudice. “It
angered me a little bit, it hurt me that my 10-
year-old girl had to deal with this, and I myself
never thought I would have to deal with this,” he
said.

Still, Harmony didn’t let the note ruin her party
and had a great sleepover, according WREG. And
while Jones doesn’t hold any hard feelings toward
the little girl who wrote the note, he said there’s
a lesson to be learned. “I guess [we] as parents
need to be more aware and conscious about what
we teach our children.”
Credits: https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/little-girl-writes-note-to-black-friend-about-113880069307.html

1 Share

Re: Photo: Little Girl Writes Note To Black Friend About Parents' Racism by Nobody: 10:45pm On Mar 17, 2015
Its so sad. We can't deny the fact dat racism exists even in this century. Children aren't born racist, its parents that teach them to b racist. But I'm glad sha that at least in naija pple don't discriminate bout skin complexion. Although we also have to adress d issue of tribalism that exists in our country.
Re: Photo: Little Girl Writes Note To Black Friend About Parents' Racism by Nobody: 10:47pm On Mar 17, 2015
Racism, affecting the world since 1BC
Re: Photo: Little Girl Writes Note To Black Friend About Parents' Racism by Harmvirus(f): 10:55pm On Mar 17, 2015
But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. Matthew 18:1-6
Re: Photo: Little Girl Writes Note To Black Friend About Parents' Racism by starboy86(m): 11:49pm On Mar 17, 2015
Whites n there silly mentality of blacks ehn, make God 4give dem ooo. I rest my case.

(1) (Reply)

Deep Genuine Marital Relatioship: The Place Of Honesty And Openess / . / What Men Really Want In Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.