Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,696 members, 7,820,429 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister (4095 Views)

Would You Marry A Man Like Your Dad? See Replies Girls Gave / Your Dad Or Your Husband: Wives, Who Would You Obey? / Why Are Wives Looking Older Than Their Husbands? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by daroz(m): 5:26am On Mar 18, 2015
I want to know if you can still refer to your dad/ mum's brother/ sister as uncle/ aunty if you are older than them. This question has been bothering me for a long time now cos I am in the situation. Thanks for your contribution.
Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by blessedvisky(m): 5:32am On Mar 18, 2015
of course
Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by spyg1(m): 5:39am On Mar 18, 2015
Yes, you call them small uncle or aunty, grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by Beesluv: 5:43am On Mar 18, 2015
i will just respect them for the sake of my parent.
Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by centmichael101(m): 5:57am On Mar 18, 2015
That ur own cup of tea!!
Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by enoqueen: 6:04am On Mar 18, 2015
its no big deal.

my elder bro and sister was older than our aunt and it didn't change anything.

we call her by her name. we are like siblings.
Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by Cutehector(m): 6:18am On Mar 18, 2015
I was born befor him or her. So it doesn't change anytn. Our teachers taught us dat wen u see ur elders, u greet dem grin.
Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by KanwuliaJara: 6:22am On Mar 18, 2015
Very normal in Africa ke! cheesy
Babas must PHOCK abi?
Yes O!
Uncle ati Aunty "KEKERE"! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by ggrin(f): 7:01am On Mar 18, 2015
Man, ur older than that boy FFSangry
Jus find one nickname give amwink
Uncle ko brocle niangry

lipsrsealed
Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by CoCoLav(f): 7:22am On Mar 18, 2015
I and my 'uncle' used to fight over it all the time. We were the same age but I never referred to him as 'uncle' instead I called him my brother till he died. It was always fun arguing about it and taking the issue to my grandpa.
Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by maclatunji: 10:36am On Mar 18, 2015
daroz:
I want to know if you can still refer to your dad/ mum's brother/ sister as uncle/ aunty if you are older than them. This question has been bothering me for a long time now cos I am in the situation. Thanks for your contribution.

It is what they are called in English. They are your Uncle or Aunt.

It has nothing to do with their age.

1 Like

Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by maclatunji: 10:38am On Mar 18, 2015
See how people tag family relationship to age. Not right at all.
Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by daroz(m): 11:05am On Mar 18, 2015
maclatunji:
See how people tag family relationship to age. Not right at all.
It may literally have nothing to do with age, but this is Africa. Imagine a thirty something years old successful family man referring to or introducing a 19years old 100 level undergraduate as his uncle in a public gathering. grin
It may sound somehow at times. So I thought there could be possibly another name for it.
Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by maclatunji: 11:13am On Mar 18, 2015
daroz:

It may literally have nothing to do with age, but this is Africa. Imagine a thirty something years old successful family man referring to or introducing a 19years old 100 level undergraduate as his uncle in a public gathering. grin
It may sound somehow at times. So I thought there could be possibly another name for it.

'Hi friend, meet my younger uncle'. Simple.

2 Likes

Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by SAMBARRY: 3:08pm On Mar 18, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
Very normal in Africa ke! cheesy
Babas must PHOCK abi?
Yes O!
Uncle ati Aunty "KEKERE"! grin
How do youkknow. You nailed it perfectly. grin
Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by Evina(f): 4:03pm On Mar 18, 2015
maclatunji:

'Hi friend, meet my younger uncle'. Simple.

Why is there a need to stress on the younger?

Uncle/Aunty is relationship position, just like Mum, Dad, In laws, Sister or Brother.

Op, mutual respect is all that matters and please note that respect is NOT demanded but earned.

Too much ego really does lead to ignorance.

1 Like

Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by maclatunji: 10:49pm On Mar 18, 2015
Evina:

Why is there a need to stress on the younger?

Uncle/Aunty is relationship position, just like Mum, Dad, In laws, Sister or Brother.

Op, mutual respect is all that matters and please note that respect is NOT demanded but earned.

Too much ego really does lead to ignorance.

Uncles and Aunts are usually older. The word 'younger' let's the other person know you aren't joking.

The fact that you say someone is younger does not mean you respect or disrespect them. It is just a matter of fact!
Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by Francman(m): 11:13pm On Mar 18, 2015
Ur aunt/uncle remains so as far as spelling out the relationtionship is concerned. I'm 23, answer ma/sir to some of my siblings.
Their children now answer me 'uncle' unlike when we were small.
Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by Fulaboy(m): 12:15am On Mar 19, 2015
daroz:

Hello fellas meet my dad's/mum's junior Bro

Period cool
Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by Nobody: 5:41am On Mar 19, 2015
Got an aunt I'm older than. I call her by name but introduce her as my aunt. Dem never born am make she look me for eye. Na knock I go give am. angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by funkyjms: 2:48pm On Mar 19, 2015
That awkward moment when grand parents are still making babies despite having grand children gringringrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by daroz(m): 9:21pm On Mar 19, 2015
funkyjms:
That awkward moment when grand parents are still making babies despite having grand children gringringrin
U go blame them? What do u expect gra pa to do when though the body is weak, but the manhood continue to wax stronger. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by maclatunji: 3:14pm On Mar 20, 2015
funkyjms:

They are allowed to as long as they do it the right way within marriage.

1 Like

Re: When You Are Older Than Your Dad/ Mum's Brother/ Sister by daroz(m): 7:54pm On Mar 24, 2015
maclatunji:

They are allowed to as long as they do it the right way within marriage.
True talk.

(1) (Reply)

Are You Interested In Moderating This Section? / Are These Evidences Enough? / My Wife Body Count Is More Than 20

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.