Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,922 members, 7,817,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Calling All Nigerian Architects - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Calling All Nigerian Architects (827 Views)

Virgin Atlantic Airline Sacks All Nigerian Cabin Crew / A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. / Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Calling All Nigerian Architects by topup: 5:26am On Jan 17, 2009
Hi everyone smiley

I am currently studying Architecture in a country that's not Nigeria tongue, I haven't done too much research but I am really limited when finding books or even successful architects in Nigeria.

Now, there is an issue, I am not sure whether it is between the builders/bricklayers or the engineers or architects, but the architecture in Nigeria in some areas seems very lacking. I understand we have bigger problems than how straight or level our buildings are, but driving through lagos I see a low standard of buildings. I understand that in Abuja and the very well developed cities, the architecture matches that of some of the highest quality buildings all over the world and I am proud, but why is it that we have never really taken it upon ourselves to learn the skills in the non-african and possibly european architecture which we replicate. I have seen our traditional buildings and they are fantastic too, but we don't need symmetry, or too much accuracy. Is this an attitude of our people, is there really a low level of workmanship in the country (as in standards allow people to get away with floors that are not level, buildings with narrow windows (no consideration for daylight) etc. .

Also, it would be have been so helpful if there were books I could read, encouraging me, but I find it hard to find anything about modern Nigerian architecture and how it has developed.

Right now in PH and VI, we are currently immitating the gated communities which we see in the american neighbourhoods, and the houses don't express Nigeria's development, we are simply just copying and pasting what works for the Americans, however, what works for some does not work for others. Is this a reflection on the Nigerian attitude of laziness? Instead of doing the hard work, researching into our materials and deriving from them, distinct Nigerian styles, we prefer to just copy what we have seen before.

Any Architects or Civil engineers in the house? smiley

(1) (Reply)

Forget All This Low Paying Jobs And Learn How To Make Money On Your Own / Pharmacists' Forum / Be Self Employed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.