Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,916 members, 7,824,844 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari (23788 Views)

US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters / Dollar Hits 335 Naira. Remove Kemi Adeosun And Emefiele Now...replace With! / Fuel Subsidy: Buhari In Dilemma (new Telegraph) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by handie(m): 6:16am On Mar 19, 2015
The All Progressive Congress (APC) presidential candidate Muhammadu Buhari said he refused to remove subsidies on petrol and devalue the naira when he was head of state because it would destroy the economy.

Buhari, who spoke during a town hall meeting in Abuja on Wednesday, said he refused the bidding of the world super powers to save the country.
He said the nation has lost greatly from the devaluation of the currency in terms of growing the economy and creating employment for the youth as employers who had to take bank loans to import raw materials and machines are running their industries at a loss.

‎"When we came into power in December 1983, we were approached by the world power at some stage to devalue the naira, remove petroleum subsidy and remove subsidy on flour, but we refused," he said.
He explained that "the issue was that if we get plenty of naira, what are we going to do with it? We even stopped farming and the only thing we get money from them was oil and that was being paid in dollars."

He said "if you have excess of groundnut, cocoa, cotton or palm oil, you sell it in foreign exchange. If you devalue the currency, the naira will be affected and Nigerians will not get value for their goods and services."

The APC flag bearer said "I was told to remove subsidy on petroleum and because I had the honour of being in charge of petroleum for three and half years, I don't know in terms of Nigeria, who is subsidising who."

"To the best of my knowledge then, the Nigerian petrol and Nigerian capital was used to develop the refineries up to the time I was there. We built the refineries from one of 50,000 bpd to four of 450,000 bpd, laid pipelines of over 3000 kilometres, built more than 20 depots with all Nigerian money," he said.

He added that no money was borrowed to develop the infrastructure in the oil sector.

www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/news/49761-why-i-refused-to-devalue-naira-remove-fuel-subsidy-buhari

86 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by oluwafemi113(m): 6:19am On Mar 19, 2015
The man

The driver of the change we're all clamouring for, Meanwhile the change start with me and you for one Nigeria

Vote for Positive Change

Vote for better tomorrow

Vote for GMB

Vote APC

147 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by SeverusSnape(m): 6:22am On Mar 19, 2015
What does Buhari know about economy?... Absolutely nothing!, You didn't devalue the Naira, right?...Oya, Come and stabilize world oil price let's see. Nonsense!!!

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by Oklander: 6:26am On Mar 19, 2015
"To the best of my knowledge then, the
Nigerian petrol and Nigerian capital was
used to develop the refineries up to the time I
was there. We built the refineries from one of 50,000 bpd to four of 450,000 bpd, laid
pipelines of over 3000 kilometres, built
more than 20 depots with all Nigerian
money,
" he said. He added that no money was borrowed to develop the infrastructure in the oil sector."
hmmm, Many if not all these great achievements were under military regime.

Now, everything has been sinking since then, even though with more money from oil, to bring back to life fully and maintain just one of the refineries is too much for this incompetent government talk less of building another. Even when the oil price was booming, Instead of planning on building a refinery, they would rather 'daftly' remove subsidy, the minister would rather use billions to hire privates jets to flex around the world while the remaining money stolen by corrupt officials and the clueless daft CinC would come out on national TV to call it "common stealing". ...Smh

180 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by alberto2k(m): 6:27am On Mar 19, 2015
Sorry Baba Idonbilivit

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance

Let give GEJ another chance...
GEJ till 2019 cool

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by Nobody: 6:28am On Mar 19, 2015
Buhari has been literily concealed since he came back. I think he's ascribing more honour than deserved to himself.

15 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by Rawani: 6:28am On Mar 19, 2015
Before Jonathan
$1=N153.55
After Jonathan
$1=N202.65

Nigeria needs Buharinomics.

We have always known the subsidy was a scam, even before the corrupt subsidy earners were caught by Farouk Lawan's subsidy committee before they went on to bribe and set him up, because the numbers don't just add up.

General Buhari we cannot wait for you to stop Jonathan's destruction of our economy while feeding the masses with paper economic growth statistics.

We need change.

193 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by WisdomFlakes: 6:32am On Mar 19, 2015
SeverusSnape:
What does Buhari know about economy?... Absolutely nothing!, You didn't devalue the Naira, right?...Oya, Come and stabilize world oil price let's see. Nonsense!!!

Wait till March 28 when he is elected into office. Then we all will witness his different approach. Obviously the current system isn't sustainable. It's just not working. Why reward failure? Vote APC. Vote Buhar/Osinbajo 2015. smiley

151 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by midolian(m): 6:36am On Mar 19, 2015
SAI BABA!

NIGERIA NEEDS YOU NOW THAN EVER.

69 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by SeverusSnape(m): 6:36am On Mar 19, 2015
WisdomFlakes:

Wait till March 28 when he is elected into office. Then we all will witness his different approach. Obviously the current system isn't sustainable. It's just not working. Why reward failure? Vote APC. Vote Buhar/Osinbajo 2015. smiley
... Elected to be the president of Arewanistan, with capital in Sambisa forest.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by Chiefpriest1(m): 6:37am On Mar 19, 2015
For Nigerians, the available has become the desirable. No matter how much I think Buhari needs some brushing up, I think he's still better than the bros we currently have there.

Leadership requires courage, capacity and character. Jonathan has none of these.

We shouldn't even be talking about a man who left government over 32 years ago if jonathan was really doing well . But here we are, stuck between two bad choices.

109 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by centmichael101(m): 6:37am On Mar 19, 2015
If u don't know by now that jonathan have beaten buhari off the poll then u are on a wrong things!!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by WisdomFlakes: 6:41am On Mar 19, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Listen, you don't have to vote for him, that is fine. But he has enough voters that will realize that objective of electing him into office. This is a movement, it's not just about Buhari. The Nigerians masses OWN this movement.

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by lovemko(m): 6:46am On Mar 19, 2015
i have finaly comcluded that some people in this country naturaly have bad blood, they are sadist, and they dont care about the well being of anybody aside them selves...

guy if you are ibo, then what i wrote above is a waiste on you, but if you are any other tribe wch i doubt... then you need to be excommunicated cos people like you can bring unnecessary enemity and hatred that could instigate war!

SeverusSnape:

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by SeverusSnape(m): 6:49am On Mar 19, 2015
WisdomFlakes:

Listen, you don't have to vote for him, that is fine. But he has enough voters that will realize that objective of electing him into office. This is a movement, it's not just about Buhari. The Nigerians masses OWN this movement.
Masses my foot, the masses don't want to be slaves any more, and mind you, Jonathan also have "enough voters that will realize that objective of electing him into office".

15 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by politricks: 6:50am On Mar 19, 2015
alberto2k:
Sorry Baba Idonbilivit

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance

Let give GEJ another chance...
GEJ till 2019 cool
Person wey fail deserves to repeat right?
Sai GMB

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by Oklander: 6:50am On Mar 19, 2015
centmichael101:
If u don't know by now that jonathan have beaten buhari off the poll then u are on a wrong things!!
We shall see... #9days

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by SeverusSnape(m): 6:52am On Mar 19, 2015
lovemko:
[s]i have finaly comcluded that some people in this country naturaly have bad blood, they are sadist, and they dont care about the well being of anybody aside them selves...[/s]

guy if you are ibo, then what i wrote above is a waiste on you, but if you are any other tribe wch i doubt... then you need to be excommunicated cos people like you can bring unnecessary enemity and hatred that could instigate war!

Trash!.. @ slashed

As for my tribe, You'll never know, Keep wasting your time.
It's Buhari that needs to be excommunicated, because he wants to take us back to the slave era.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by edo3(m): 6:53am On Mar 19, 2015
oluwafemi113:
The man
For the job,,not a joker.

12 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by alberto2k(m): 6:54am On Mar 19, 2015
politricks:
Person wey fail deserves to repeat right?
Sai GMB
Yeah... You wan tell me say u never take "make up test" for your life before undecided
Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by omenka(m): 6:55am On Mar 19, 2015
Baba no need to tell us, we know the great things you did. We can hardly wait for you to take your oath of office.

God bless and keep you safe.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by Princecalm(m): 6:58am On Mar 19, 2015
since ged is not an economist, he was just using foolish advice from his aides

6 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by Ikwokrikwo: 7:17am On Mar 19, 2015
Why was there fuel subsidy in Buhari's time?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by viczing(m): 7:25am On Mar 19, 2015
oluwafemi113:
The man

Ogbeni that man will not smell aso rock

7 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by Nobody: 7:52am On Mar 19, 2015
typing...................
Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by Ngasky(m): 8:02am On Mar 19, 2015
The nation of fools. If somebody that fail deserve the second shot. What about the person that succeeded what did he deserve?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by stronger: 8:11am On Mar 19, 2015
The All Progressive Congress (APC) presidential candidate Muhammadu Buhari said he refused to remove subsidies on petrol and devalue the naira when he was head of state because it would destroy the economy. Buhari, who spoke during a town hall meeting in Abuja on Wednesday, said he refused the bidding of the world super powers to save the country. "When we came into power in December 1983, we were approached by the world power at some stage to devalue the naira, remove petroleum subsidy and remove subsidy on flour, but we refused," he said.

To the best of my knowledge then, the Nigerian petrol and Nigerian capital was used to develop the refineries up to the time I was there. We built the refineries from one of 50,000 bpd to four of 450,000 bpd, laid pipelines of over 3000 kilometres, built more than 20 depots with all Nigerian money," he said. He added that no money was borrowed to develop the infrastructure in the oil sector.

See the highlighted!!!

This is what we are talking about! LEADERSHIP with a strong will. He refused the bidding of the world super powers!
Unlike GEJ who quickly obeyed orders when OKONJO IWEALA said REMOVE SUBSIDY!! That fuel subsidy and occupy Nigeria protest was the beginning of Jonathan's issues and that is one of the reasons why he will LOSE LAGOS even if he moves the capital back here.
We need strong-willed leadership please.

Second highlighted!!

Built refineries from Nigerian money!! How many REFINERIES has the PDP built for 16 years? Nothing!
Nothing more to say.

SAI BUHARI!!

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by angrybird007: 8:25am On Mar 19, 2015
OUR GENERAL has spoken kiss

12 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by hazyfm: 8:25am On Mar 19, 2015
SAI BABA

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by snowland(m): 8:25am On Mar 19, 2015
Cool

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari by Burger01(m): 8:25am On Mar 19, 2015
Buhari, a very intelligent leader! Well intelligent and focused. The clueless intelligence of a PhD holder can never measure up to half of Buhari's intelligence. Nigeria will be better managed by Buhari. In God we trust for Buhari to make Nigeria great.

Sai Buhari, I and my PVC remain overtly and ever loyal to you.

25 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Oyo Lawmaker, Olusegun Popoola Dies At 46 / Tears Flow Freely As Remains Of The 18th Sultan, Dasuki Buried / 2019: New PDP Meets Buhari, Osinbajo Today, Reveals What Will Happen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.