Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,847 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

First Time Mothers! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / First Time Mothers! (6873 Views)

Frst Time Mothers Have Trouble Breastfeeding / Abuja / Nigerian Mothers....Always Over Protective! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Time Mothers! by tiebe: 9:35am On Mar 19, 2015
Hallo! I recently had a baby and i've been going through all the challenges and joys of taking care of a new born. so, i thought i could share with other first born mums, and get advice from more 'seasoned' mothers.

Currently, my baby has serious gas that keeps her awake. she cries in her sleep and is always farting or burping. no matter how much i burp her after feeding. I've used gripe water, used gas drops, even the gerber colic relief. none of them seem to work. but everyone says after 3 months, she wont have any issue with gas anymore.

I am also at loggerheads with my Mum In Law cos she wants to give her that african massage when she's giving her a bath but i no de gree. i personally dont see the benefits. I dnt see why a baby who is meant to love a bath will come out of the bath crying and wailing. a bath is meant to relax her not stress her. after all the massaged Nigerians, you'd think we would be world first in gymnastics.

i am thinking about sleep training my baby so that she wont be too stressed when she starts creche. but i know my mother in law and even my mum will not be able to stand the crying involved!

finally, the staying up at night! how are you keeping up with that

smiley anyways, please lets share views and experiences. if not, i will use this place as my diary and keep ranting. also, if there is already such a thread, abeg, direct me there lemme go and soak myself there.

1 Like

Re: First Time Mothers! by blank(f): 11:31am On Mar 19, 2015
Why should the baby cry after massaging? Then it is not being done right. My babies enjoyed it so much that they slept for hours after it. It is very relaxing for them.

As for the gas, watch what you, the mother, is eating. It can affect your baby. She might even be reacting to it. For me, i found out when i removed dairy products from my diet, he stopped gassing. My second son didn't even have that issue cos i totally avoided milk. But that's me sha.

Cry it out method of sleep training is very stressful even for you the mum. I did it and succeeded. However, my husband had to leave the house for a few days cos he couldn't stand it. But i persevered and won! Don't start if you are not ready to see it through to the end. It will only make your baby know that she can get away with anything just by crying. Also, research extensively on the method so that you can do it right.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: First Time Mothers! by Nobody: 12:30pm On Mar 19, 2015
tiebe:
Hallo! I recently had a baby and i've been going through all the challenges and joys of taking care of a new born. so, i thought i could share with other first born mums, and get advice from more 'seasoned' mothers.

Currently, my baby has serious gas that keeps her awake. she cries in her sleep and is always farting or burping. no matter how much i burp her after feeding. I've used gripe water, used gas drops, even the gerber colic relief. none of them seem to work. but everyone says after 3 months, she wont have any issue with gas anymore.

I am also at loggerheads with my Mum In Law cos she wants to give her that african massage when she's giving her a bath but i no de gree. i personally dont see the benefits. I dnt see why a baby who is meant to love a bath will come out of the bath crying and wailing. a bath is meant to relax her not stress her. after all the massaged Nigerians, you'd think we would be world first in gymnastics.

i am thinking about sleep training my baby so that she wont be too stressed when she starts creche. but i know my mother in law and even my mum will not be able to stand the crying involved!

finally, the staying up at night! how are you keeping up with that

smiley anyways, please lets share views and experiences. if not, i will use this place as my diary and keep ranting. also, if there is already such a thread, abeg, direct me there lemme go and soak myself there.

my dear,am going tru d same thing,my boy cries all tru d night non stop,and it hurts me so much to c him cry,i dont kw wat to do,he is just 3wks old,i neva start sef,i don dey tire,sleepless night
Re: First Time Mothers! by blank(f): 12:39pm On Mar 19, 2015
ikechizoba:
my dear,am going tru d same thing,my boy cries all tru d night non stop,and it hurts me so much to c him cry,i dont kw wat to do,he is just 3wks old,i neva start sef,i don dey tire,sleepless night

@3 weeks, crying through the night is not normal. At best, he should be waking up several times in the night to eat. Check to see if he has an ear infection. It happened to my son and as soon as it was treated, he became the happy baby we all know him for.
Re: First Time Mothers! by Nobody: 1:21pm On Mar 19, 2015
blank:

@3 weeks, crying through the night is not normal. At best, he should be waking up several times in the night to eat. Check to see if he has an ear infection. It happened to my son and as soon as it was treated, he became the happy baby we all know him for.
yes,he wakes up several tyms both day n nyt,mostly not because he wants to feed bt because of d stomach pains,evn wen hes feeding,he kips making sounds dat shows dat he is in pains,evn wen he sleeps,he kip turning nd making dose short crys,most tym it wakes him up fully,they said it colics,i dnt kw wat to do
Re: First Time Mothers! by tiebe: 2:01pm On Mar 19, 2015
ikechizoba:
yes,he wakes up several tyms both day n nyt,mostly not because he wants to feed bt because of d stomach pains,evn wen hes feeding,he kips making sounds dat shows dat he is in pains,evn wen he sleeps,he kip turning nd making dose short crys,most tym it wakes him up fully,they said it colics,i dnt kw wat to do

did you try gripe water?

blank:
Why should the baby cry after massaging?

As for the gas, watch what you, the mother, is eating. It can affect your baby.

Cry it out method of sleep training is very stressful even for you the mum. .
Good luck.

i dont take any milk, beans, or anything that causes gas o. remain small for me to b eating only rice. i dont even drink coke.

the massage eh, na die! i don tell my mother inlaw make she no do again and she de vex for me.

and she wont let me do the sleep training. she say my own too much. i tell am say when i drop the pikin for creche, who wan de look her face?

how long did it take u to succeed in the cry it out method?
Re: First Time Mothers! by blank(f): 2:24pm On Mar 19, 2015
tiebe:

did you try gripe water?

i dont take any milk, beans, or anything that causes gas o. remain small for me to b eating only rice. i dont even drink coke.

the massage eh, na die! i don tell my mother inlaw make she no do again and she de vex for me.

and she wont let me do the sleep training. she say my own too much. i tell am say when i drop the pikin for creche, who wan de look her face?

Pele my dear, e no easy. For my first son, it was more than 2 weeks but that was because i started late and he is a very determined fella. But for the 2nd one, barely 5 days and he was on my terms.
Re: First Time Mothers! by tiebe: 2:31pm On Mar 19, 2015
blank:

Pele my dear, e no easy. For my first son, it was more than 2 weeks but that was because i started late and he is a very determined fella. But for the 2nd one, barely 5 days and he was on my terms.

is 2 months old too early to try?
Re: First Time Mothers! by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 19, 2015
tiebe:

did you try gripe water?

i hvnt,my husband kicked against it,does it work? Cos i dont mind giving it to him
Re: First Time Mothers! by tiebe: 3:48pm On Mar 19, 2015
ikechizoba:
i hvnt,my husband kicked against it,does it work? Cos i dont mind giving it to him

works for some babies. didnt work for mine though. your husband is not comfortable with gripe water?
Re: First Time Mothers! by blank(f): 3:54pm On Mar 19, 2015
tiebe:

is 2 months old too early to try?

Not too early at all. But the proviso is that it should be done right if not it could cause an opposite effect on your child.
Re: First Time Mothers! by tiebe: 4:03pm On Mar 19, 2015
i have read and read about it, and asked around. i'm meant to bathe, then feed her at d same time every evening. then when she is fully fed, her nappy clean, i put her down in her cot to let her fall aslp herself. she will cry for attn and i go to check her at reducing intervals but not to pick her up.
Re: First Time Mothers! by blank(f): 9:29pm On Mar 19, 2015
tiebe:
i have read and read about it, and asked around. i'm meant to bathe, then feed her at d same time every evening. then when she is fully fed, her nappy clean, i put her down in her cot to let her fall aslp herself. she will cry for attn and i go to check her at reducing intervals but not to pick her up.

Also create an enabling environment by making the lighting dim, cot comfortable, temp okay. Don't just go cold turkey on her, lead up to it gently. Also, before that time, get her on a schedule that you adhere to as per timing. She needs to get used to certain things being done at certain times. So that she won't feel abandoned and it will be so disheartening for her.

1 Like

Re: First Time Mothers! by tiebe: 1:00pm On Mar 20, 2015
I will o. but i think i will try to wait till her gas issues die out. wont be fair to leave her crying when i know it's gas that's worrying her.

and now, she has learnt a new thing o. after she has successfully begun to wake up only once or 2ce at night for a feed, she has decided that every 2 hours na im go sweet am pass! for the last 2 nights now, been waking up to feed her even b4 i have been able to fall aslp.

make una help me!
Re: First Time Mothers! by tiebe: 8:41am On Mar 21, 2015
Last night was not too bad. she had her bath around 6pm, was almost aslp by 7:30, but we were distracted so she woke up and stayed up till about 9:30. she is a light sleeper and any small thing de disturb am. she woke up again around 1am, was fed, changed and slpt by 2:35.

I have to break my mother inlaw's heart and ask her to stop the massaging. it's too traumatic for her. makes her cry too much. i dont like it at all. She used to enjoy baths when i used to bathe her. but now, na so so cry she de cry. e garra stop.

also, today, she should get her earings. had her ears pierced on monday. put a thread through it. and now its earing time. . .
Re: First Time Mothers! by tiebe: 9:20am On Apr 07, 2015
havent been here for a while. and apparently, no one else has either. anyways, since i was here last, she's had her ears pierced, the gas issue has all but stopped. now she can pass gas and belch/burp freely. so, you would think she would be a fully happy baby. NOPE!
Now, she cries at will! wears me out. she is only quiet when she is being fed, when I am giving her a bath, when she is sleeping and when i am carrying her. all other times, na cry. she could be smiling and gurgling when i am carrying her. as soon as i put her down, i have maximum of 15mins respite before she starts to yell again. i have tried leaving her in her rocker to cry it out. she cried for a full hr! i got tired and had to pick her up. i try to distract her with toys, tv, talking to her, playing with her, nothing. she just wants to be picked up. even when other people carry her, she will only stay happy for a few mins before she starts yelling. and my mum and mum inlaw dnt make it easier. as soon as she opens her mouth to cry, they call me to come and carry her. so now, she is used to me carrying her. and now, she will be starting creche soon. i know those ladies at the creche cant be too patient for her...she has some hard times coming. but i'm also hoping the time at the creche will teach her to do what i cant. by the time she cries it out for days at the creche, she will be able to stay on her own. breaks my heart, but it seems that's how it has to be. . . anyone with ideas on how to help a baby learn to self soothe/entertain?

2 Likes

Re: First Time Mothers! by 5minsmadness: 12:48pm On Apr 07, 2015
A baby's cry is not always about hunger. It's a sign of communication to you the mother that something is not right. It could be the place is too hot or too cold, it could be the dress she is putting on is uncomfortable. It could be an ant just bit her. It could even be a loud TV or WI d blowing from a fan set at the highest speed. Always check the surroundings of your baby if she cries the moment you put her down in the cot and stops crying when you pick her up.

How old is your baby now? From your previous complaints it's like you didn't do exclusive breastfeeding. It's good the gas has stopped. If she is less than three months then she should still be feeding two hourly. More than three months you can increase to three_hourly. Unless you have stopped breastfeeding altogether.

Her age will also help me determine what I can advice you in soothing tactics.
Re: First Time Mothers! by hurricaneindia(f): 1:09pm On Apr 07, 2015
5minsmadness:
A baby's cry is not always about hunger. It's a sign of communication to you the mother that something is not right. It could be the place is too hot or too cold, it could be the dress she is putting on is uncomfortable. It could be an ant just bit her. It could even be a loud TV or WI d blowing from a fan set at the highest speed. Always check the surroundings of your baby if she cries the moment you put her down in the cot and stops crying when you pick her up.

How old is your baby now? From your previous complaints it's like you didn't do exclusive breastfeeding. It's good the gas has stopped. If she is less than three months then she should still be feeding two hourly. More than three months you can increase to three_hourly. Unless you have stopped breastfeeding altogether.

Wow. This has to be your most reasonable post! *runs away.
Re: First Time Mothers! by tiebe: 1:43pm On Apr 07, 2015
5minsmadness:
Always check the surroundings of your baby if she cries the moment you put her down in the cot and stops crying when you pick her up.
How old is your baby now? From your previous complaints it's like you didn't do exclusive breastfeeding.

i'm doing exclusive o. not even water. i check everything wen i put her down. she just doesnt want to b left alone. as for ahe, she is 11 wks and i feed her on demand. not really timed.
Re: First Time Mothers! by 5minsmadness: 1:54pm On Apr 07, 2015
hurricaneindia:

Wow. This has to be your most reasonable post! *runs away.
*Tears shirt and runs after her
Re: First Time Mothers! by 5minsmadness: 3:03pm On Apr 07, 2015
tiebe:

i'm doing exclusive o. not even water. i check everything wen i put her down. she just doesnt want to b left alone. as for ahe, she is 11 wks and i feed her on demand. not really timed.
Too early to self-soothe.

You can try those hanging toys and bell things. Hang it just above her cot where her hands can reach then jingle it. Some of them are battery operated and jingle themselves. It should help. Or get an automatic rocking chair.

3 months (11wks) is too early for creche na, can't u at least wait till she's 6months?
Re: First Time Mothers! by tiebe: 3:10pm On Apr 07, 2015
I know it's too early. but i have to go back to work. . . sad
Re: First Time Mothers! by 5minsmadness: 3:16pm On Apr 07, 2015
tiebe:
I know it's too early. but i have to go back to work. . . sad
OK kpele. Try the above options and see if they work.
Re: First Time Mothers! by SAMBARRY: 3:48pm On Apr 07, 2015
See a paediatrician instead of using orisirisi experiment on your baby

2 Likes

Re: First Time Mothers! by eleganteunice: 10:59pm On Apr 07, 2015
Please try and see a Doctor. Happy motherhood.

We stand on the shore of the 21st century.
What does the future hold for our children?
Life now seems to be dominated by computers
– fruit of the technological revolution.

YOUR AMAZING CHILD

Most people are of the opinion that space is the next
frontier to be explored. Many eminent researchers would
disagree.
The mind, they say, is the new frontier.
Parenting Tips – What Is Genius?
Scientists declare that we cannot begin to imagine what
our mind’s are capable of. It is now estimated that we only
use about 4% of our brain’s potential.

Continue reading @ [url]euniceamede.com[/url]
geniuses – as we define genius at the moment.
Our brains are composed of cells known as nuerons.
These nuerons connect with each other to form ‘learning pathways’.
Re: First Time Mothers! by Nobody: 1:20am On Apr 08, 2015
Weird stuff in here. Having a baby must be such a task.
Re: First Time Mothers! by Bootylicious(f): 7:06am On Apr 08, 2015
Congrats dear,my baby will be 4 months in Few days. My baby's ped,told me gripe water is nt good 4 babies, try bonisan water by himalayas or cuplation 4 wind relieve, gas and colic , my baby has been a happy michild all tru,no unnecessary cry . My baby sleeps a lot durin d day and awake most part of d nyt,I walk ard wit heavy eyes and constant yawning. My baby has stopped breast feeding,no matter how I try,i end up expressing milk 4her few times a day. Its nt easy being a mum I must confess. May God bless us all. I supply baby clothing at wholesale prices from Dubai and delivery to Lagos, very affordable price and high quality 2B11EC59.
Re: First Time Mothers! by tiebe: 5:57pm On Apr 08, 2015
goofyone:
Weird stuff in here. Having a baby must be such a task.

you can say that again. it's both the hardest and the most rewarding thing you can ever do. smiley my opinion

Bootylicious:
Congrats dear,my baby will be 4 months in Few days. My baby's ped,told me gripe water is nt good 4 babies, try bonisan water by himalayas or cuplation 4 wind relieve, gas and colic , my baby has been a happy michild all tru,no unnecessary cry . My baby sleeps a lot durin d day and awake most part of d nyt,I walk ard wit heavy eyes and constant yawning. My baby has stopped breast feeding,no matter how I try,i end up expressing milk 4her few times a day. Its nt easy being a mum I must confess. May God bless us all. I supply baby clothing at wholesale prices from Dubai and delivery to Lagos, very affordable price and high quality 2B11EC59.

it's hard for a baby to slp at night after sleeping all day. try to keep baby awake after 4pm. you will have more chance of baby sleeping at night.

SAMBARRY:
See a paediatrician instead of using orisirisi experiment on your baby

which experiment na?
Re: First Time Mothers! by SAMBARRY: 9:42pm On Apr 08, 2015
Letting the thing turn to quarrel between you and your mil. Best thing is to see a paediatrician to clear all doubts and give you medical advice that will benefit your baby because the point is that all mothers have different babies that respond to different things. That it worked for baby A doesn't mean it will work for baby b . babies are different. Wura didn't experience such that's why I can't give you an advice however the best advice I can give you is to see a paediatrician like I told you earlier .In fact it beats me.i can't even fathom how your baby will be experiencing such and you think nl will replace what a professional in his job will give you.

Anyway .I want to watch African magic on 114.do as you like with your baby. Na your vagyna go tell you what's up
tiebe:

you can say that again. it's both the hardest and the most rewarding thing you can ever do. smiley my opinion

it's hard for a baby to slp at night after sleeping all day. try to keep baby awake after 4pm. you will have more chance of baby sleeping at night.

which experiment na?
Re: First Time Mothers! by tiebe: 6:30am On Apr 09, 2015
SAMBARRY:
Letting the thing turn to quarrel between you and your mil. Best thing is to see a paediatrician to clear all doubts and give you medical advice that will benefit your baby because the point is that all mothers have different babies that respond to different things. That it worked for baby A doesn't mean it will work for baby b . babies are different. Wura didn't experience such that's why I can't give you an advice however the best advice I can give you is to see a paediatrician like I told you earlier .In fact it beats me.i can't even fathom how your baby will be experiencing such and you think nl will replace what a professional in his job will give you.

Anyway .I want to watch African magic on 114.do as you like with your baby. Na your vagyna go tell you what's up

thanks a milllion. i dnt see where i said it turned to quarrel between my mil and I. smiley. also, seen a paed. he asked me to give the gripe water or gas drops. if that failed, he said to try gerber soothe. he has looked my little one up and says she is fine. some babies cry more than others. just like some people laugh, or talk, or sing more than others. nairaland is a good place cos other people who have had babies can give me clues on how to entertain my baby. it's left to me to do or not.

the paediatrician has his place, nairaland has its place, and mothers, mil and friends have their place. smiley

4 Likes

Re: First Time Mothers! by SAMBARRY: 11:01am On Apr 09, 2015
Ok cool. But I know you said you and your mil were at logger heads at some point because she wanted to use the traditional means

meanwhile the reason I said the paediatrician is the best person to see is because

1.various mothers on nl will give you different advice that worked for their baby which is their own reality and which might not be yours
2 different mothers different babies different ways of responding so they won't give you a uniformed response because even babies that came from the same womb react differently that's why I said see a professional. I am not saying nl is bad but you might get contradictory advice which you can't guarantee their applicability but a professional in his field will always be a professional . be that as it may, good to know that you have finally seen a paediatrician and he has given you the needed information smiley
tiebe:

thanks a milllion. i dnt see where i said it turned to quarrel between my mil and I. smiley. also, seen a paed. he asked me to give the gripe water or gas drops. if that failed, he said to try gerber soothe. he has looked my little one up and says she is fine. some babies cry more than others. just like some people laugh, or talk, or sing more than others. nairaland is a good place cos other people who have had babies can give me clues on how to entertain my baby. it's left to me to do or not.

the paediatrician has his place, nairaland has its place, and mothers, mil and friends have their place. smiley
Re: First Time Mothers! by tiebe: 8:30am On Apr 11, 2015
yup. doctor's was d first place i went. my mil and i were not at logger heads. she was just surprised and did not understand why not. she's a real dear and gave no stress. she just strongly advised me to do it. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Woman Discovers She's Being Married To A Dead Man For 6 Years - Her Reaction ? / About House Helps: Work Schedules, Limits/Chores;Please Share Your Experiences / 6 In Their Family, No Male. Will I Be Able To Have Male Children With Her?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.