Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,124 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars (103750 Views)

Is Driving Automatic Cars With Both Feet Bad? / List Out Functions You'll Want New Cars To Have. / Disadvantages Of Automatic Trasnmision Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Bondesniger(m): 8:20am On Jun 10, 2017
brilliant
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Oluwafreshing(m): 8:21am On Jun 10, 2017
FP after how many years??
Op your Eleda no sleep
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by saudyarmani(m): 8:21am On Jun 10, 2017
With ma own Lil knowledge...

D1,d2,d3 etc depicts the pace at which u wanna go

Eg...the. D1 is as good as gear 1 in a manual car,no matter hw u accelerate it wount excees. The speed limit of gear 1

Same. Applies to d2 and d3

It's just to guage the pace at which u wanna cruise or better still u r on a bad very bad road and u need to go slow,d1 will do and no matter how u accelerate the speed wount exceed the capacity of the d1

Am sure the gurus in the house can explain better

#shalom

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Gravas(m): 8:21am On Jun 10, 2017
OP. You have really helped a lot of people here. It is always good to ask questions when in doubt.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Ernesca(m): 8:24am On Jun 10, 2017
This emekan sounds like vin disel... Guy u can start a driving school and alter the driving sense of Nigeria road users. Am looking forward to car racing in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by thaprofit88: 8:29am On Jun 10, 2017
Hi guys,

I was involved in an argument with friends yesterday, over the use of the Driving gears of an automatic gearing car.

Different car products have different automatic gearing system. Mine is a Honda Accord 2006 (Discussion continues) model,and the gear system is pictured below.

It has a 'P-park', 'R-reverse', 'N-neutral' 'D-drive' 'D3', 'D2' and 'D1' gears.

The argument relates to the functions of the 'D', 'D3', 'D2', and 'D1' driving gears respectively, and under what circumstances should each one be used?.

So tech guys in the house, it's time to show off your knowledge.

Merci!!!

Op your car is automanual.
D1 to D4 enables you to transmit on four gears . Its same in a lot of vehicles. Some are telescopic like in some Mercedes tho some older versions like 1999 is same as yours. BMW too had same but now in the contemporary ones you shift to manual first before you can now engage gears telescopic.
Take your car for a ride engage from 1 to 4 like in manual don't worry abt d clutch u can engage while ur leg is on ur accelerator pedal.
Hope this helps
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Awoleesu(m): 8:36am On Jun 10, 2017
ogawisdom:

Very educative thread mine has D 2 L, I believe d L stands for D1. I hope I am correct
. L stands for lever. can be used when you get stuck; say in mud, to get out easily...
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Awoleesu(m): 8:36am On Jun 10, 2017
ogawisdom:

Very educative thread mine has D 2 L, I believe d L stands for D1. I hope I am correct
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by afamaustin(m): 8:46am On Jun 10, 2017

That means you can change gears while the car is in motion, right?

I'm asking, cos you know for Manual cars, you have to 'clutch down' before changing gears.

So for automatic, if I'm moving at, say 120km/hr on 'D', I can just change to, say 'D2' without stepping on the brakes, andd the car will slow down automatically?
if u try change while ur car is ln motion Sorry be ur name
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by ibikunle1985(m): 8:48am On Jun 10, 2017
emekan:
Hello guys. Will make this short. Kinda busy at the moment. The D1, D2 and D3 inscriptions on your gear lever mean that you can engage any one of these three (4 forward gears inclusive of D). The function of this is to enable traction at low speeds. In sandy or very muddy areas, engaging any of the D1, D2 or D3 will restrict the gear from exceeding the respective gearing. Take for instance you select D1, no matter how hard you rev your car engine, your vehicle will never exceed gear 1. This ensures low end traction for sandy terrain or when low end power is needed for towing. If on the othe hand, you select D2, the gear will never exceed second gear no matter how hard you rev the engine. Same applies to D3. If however, D is selected, it allows the gear choose between the 5 available forward gears depending on how hard you rev and the road inclination and conditions. The ECU considers many factors simultaneously and decides the best gear in this case to choose in order to deliver best fuel economy under the prevailing circumstances. Hope this helps. Cheers.

You are good
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by figure007(m): 8:51am On Jun 10, 2017
ITbomb:
Don't like keeping 1000 naira note in view, try and keep change in case the policeman no get change
my friend and I travelled from s state to another and we made a mistake not having any change except 1k notes cos we went to use ATM before going ah swear na 1k we dey them since we no get choice e vex me so tey we pullover at a point and begged villagers to help us change money.. .police ehn

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by figure007(m): 8:55am On Jun 10, 2017

Lol grin

Thanks Boss, I didn't notice it in time.

But me no dey give any Policemen any kobo. I'm not owing them anything cos all my papers are in order! wink
ahh see you.. .am sorry to say this maybe your car is not that big I hope you understand me sir no offence.. .if you have a pouch car no matter your papers some police WI tell you point blank *bros settle us**e Don happen well.. .forget particulars Bros
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by mu2sa2: 9:04am On Jun 10, 2017

You been wan know abi? undecided
So why you no ask since? grin
Maybe no mb!
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by mu2sa2: 9:25am On Jun 10, 2017
DAVE5:
Checked the date of the first post:::: nah 2015 and it's still useful to anybody who cares to learn... reminds me and all old NL members what Nairaland used to be like b4 our indomie generation took over our forum where you now see thrash like "wizkid hangs out with friends" "tonto dike without makeup" hitting front page...

Shout out to the old skool nairalanders
In many respects "the good old days" seem preferable. For cars automatic gears are a lazy way of driving with the car contolling you, sort of, instead of the other way round.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Nddytex08(m): 9:32am On Jun 10, 2017
am ain't driving yet but currently going through the basics... but when I finally land on the road eh, una go hear my story for sure. Automatic nor Manual any one can go for Me. Cheers guys
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by megama: 9:35am On Jun 10, 2017
emekan:
Hello guys. Will make this short. Kinda busy at the moment. The D1, D2 and D3 inscriptions on your gear lever mean that you can engage any one of these three (4 forward gears inclusive of D). The function of this is to enable traction at low speeds. In sandy or very muddy areas, engaging any of the D1, D2 or D3 will restrict the gear from exceeding the respective gearing. Take for instance you select D1, no matter how hard you rev your car engine, your vehicle will never exceed gear 1. This ensures low end traction for sandy terrain or when low end power is needed for towing. If on the othe hand, you select D2, the gear will never exceed second gear no matter how hard you rev the engine. Same applies to D3. If however, D is selected, it allows the gear choose between the 5 available forward gears depending on how hard you rev and the road inclination and conditions. The ECU considers many factors simultaneously and decides the best gear in this case to choose in order to deliver best fuel economy under the prevailing circumstances. Hope this helps. Cheers.
does these mean manual mode?
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Ferdinandu(m): 9:39am On Jun 10, 2017

Lol

Thanks Boss, I didn't notice it in time.

But me no dey give any Policemen any kobo. I'm not owing them anything cos all my papers are in order! wink
The day you will unknowingly beat traffic, or try to beat traffic that has almost turned red and fail. That day you will know that there are many sources of Policeman income. gringringrin

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by ashala(m): 10:10am On Jun 10, 2017
Quite educating. Been wondering the use of D1 D2 D3
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Ademoore07(m): 10:12am On Jun 10, 2017

That means you can change gears while the car is in motion, right?

I'm asking, cos you know for Manual cars, you have to 'clutch down' before changing gears.

So for automatic, if I'm moving at, say 120km/hr on 'D', I can just change to, say 'D2' without stepping on the brakes, and the car will slow down automatically?

I think since its automatic, u don't need to change the gear lever while in motion. It will drop back by it self. But you can change it while in motion from d1 to d2. I've witness this in a digital geared car in abuja
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by disandat(m): 10:24am On Jun 10, 2017
nurey:

I beg to differ on this, engine braking is safer than using the normal brake I tried this on a 1992 honda accord popularly called HALA, at 100km/h, in 5th gear, I down shifted to gear 2 depressed the accelerator and the car slowed down without any jerk or loss of control, done at abk, NNPC road to iyana mortuary express.

You are doing stunt at IYANA mortuary? U de find admission baa?

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Adeebiwa09(m): 10:26am On Jun 10, 2017
Hi guys,

I was involved in an argument with friends yesterday, over the use of the Driving gears of an automatic gearing car.

Different car products have different automatic gearing system. Mine is a Honda Accord 2006 (Discussion continues) model,and the gear system is pictured below.

It has a 'P-park', 'R-reverse', 'N-neutral' 'D-drive' 'D3', 'D2' and 'D1' gears.

The argument relates to the functions of the 'D', 'D3', 'D2', and 'D1' driving gears respectively, and under what circumstances should each one be used?.

Merci!!!

In other cars it's just D S L I think in this case it's Drive Slow and Learner in that order and it also indicates the speed rate with Drive been the fastest and Learner of course a speed best for learning. The D4 (in some cars) D3, D2 & D1 represent that also but in comparison to a manual that gear one to 4, 4 being the fastest
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by jacoik(m): 10:45am On Jun 10, 2017
ITbomb:
Don't like keeping 1000 naira note in view, try and keep change in case the policeman no get change
shebi if I slap u now pple go dey call me bokoharam man. Is what u said now the topic on board? Oya kneel down n hands up!!!
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by mikkyword(m): 10:48am On Jun 10, 2017

Lol
It's alright.
Before now, I only maintain one gear level 'D' from start to finish grin
so it means can start my car with D1 just like D?
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Kbanka: 11:00am On Jun 10, 2017
nurey:

I beg to differ on this, engine braking is safer than using the normal brake I tried this on a 1992 honda accord popularly called HALA, at 100km/h, in 5th gear, I down shifted to gear 2 depressed the accelerator and the car slowed down without any jerk or loss of control, done at abk, NNPC road to iyana mortuary express.

Braking requires friction. Friction causes wear and tear hence yr need to change brake pads at intervals. If engine Braking were safer, everyone would do that instead of changing pads and disks every nw and then. Trust me, each time you're Braking with yr engine, you're damaging something inside it that'll be a big issue when yu come to fix it. Only brake with engine when necessary.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Kbanka: 11:04am On Jun 10, 2017
mikkyword:

so it means can start my car with D1 just like D?
You can start moving yr car with D1. However, it won't remove itself from gear one. This means you get to witness your fuel burning very quickly and your engine overheating.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by kaykith05(m): 11:29am On Jun 10, 2017
Hi guys,

Merci!!!

From my own car manual,
D (Drive)
Use this position for all normal forward driving.
D2 (Second gear)
Use this position for hill climbing or engine braking on downhill grades.
Do not shift into the 2 position at speeds above 74 MPH (118 Km/h). Do not exceed 74 MPH (118 Km/h) in the 2 position.
D1 (Low gear)
Use this position when climbing steep hills slowly or slow driving through deep snow, sand or mud, or for maximum engine brak- ing on steep downhill grades.
Do not shift into the 1 position at speeds above 41 MPH (66 km/h). Do not exceed 41 MPH (66 km/h) in the 1 position.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Dgreat3(m): 11:42am On Jun 10, 2017
[quote]Hi guys,

It has a 'P-park', 'R-reverse', 'N-neutral' 'D-drive' 'D3', 'D2' and 'D1' gear..........

Op: abeg send dat 1k in d cup holder to me grin
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jun 10, 2017
Bla bla bla. D1 drive in gear one. D2 drive in gear 2. D3 drive in gear 3. D is drive on all gears from 1 to 4 as the case may apply. D =Drive. For broader explanation. D 2 means the car can only drive from gears 1 to 2. D3 means the car can only drive from gear 1 to 3 etc.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by mybestlove(m): 12:20pm On Jun 10, 2017
Thanks to the OP and the guy that answered the question.
This is a clear indicator to how ignorant Nigerians are. You entered an auto shop to purchase a car and you just pay without asking to know the features in the car you are buying.
Again, most automatic drive car don't have the d1, d2, d3, they just have d. But bro listen, attempting to use these gears will make you hate automatic drives. Don't ever attempt to shift your automatic gear while in motion, you'll just kill that engine.
That luxury in automatic drive isn't the best for you, manual gears have great advantages over automatic gears.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by DAVE5(m): 12:25pm On Jun 10, 2017
mu2sa2:
In many respects "the good old days" seem preferable. For cars automatic gears are a lazy way of driving with the car contolling you, sort of, instead of the other way round.

True... u feel in control and all that but me sha no like stress make I no lie especially in this our Lagos traffic...started driving manual but automatic has me now ohh...but watching movies like fast n furious makes me want to pull a manual

Shout out to the old skool though
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Gbangbalicious: 12:45pm On Jun 10, 2017
verry simple.......related your manual transmission to the automatic. D1 stands for gear1 in manual no matter how you step on it, it will never leave that gear and it is the strongest of the gears as we know. D2 relates to gear2 in manual no matter how you step on it in the automatic transmission it does not go pass or below and for D3 it is the same. So for the ordinary D, it contains all the gear level and it changes according to the drive conditions, which allows you to cruise you car normally.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by rogalagu: 1:08pm On Jun 10, 2017
Nice one!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Lady Drove This Killer Machine Today And Got Everyone Talking (Pic) / Ferrari F50 Abandoned In Ibadan (Pictures) / I Parked My Car, Went Into The Bank And This Happened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.