Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,701 members, 7,813,301 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:33 AM

Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud (18367 Views)

Man Trying To Commit Suicide At Jakande, Lagos (Photos) / Godwin Onwuneme Udu Arrested For Bank Fraud In Ghana / Man Who Wants To Commit Suicide In Ibadan Nigeria Today - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by Icecream4U(m): 10:17pm On Mar 19, 2015
The police must have told the white guys to testify against the nigerian so that they can be set free. This is so unfair. You called somebody to come take free cash, you later jailed the person for coming. sad
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by KoloOyinbo(m): 10:18pm On Mar 19, 2015
coogar:

stop assuming.....
how did you know all the jury would be black? when has that ever happened? what's the percentage of black people in america for a 12-man jury to be all black?

that's circumstantial evidence.
that adekoya had online conversation with someone doesn't make him a criminal. how are we sure it was him that made the chat & not someone else?

why wasn't he tried for the prior offence? has he ever been convicted of any crime in the past? what is his criminal history? if he has always been a law abiding citizen then it could be argued that this is a clear case of entrapment!

a black man in america is always presumed guilty until proven innocent.

Do you know HOW Juries are selected? NO defence lawyer would allow a July without a significant number of black people on it. I did not say ALL that was YOUR assumption - read the post again.

HE HAD PREVIOUSLY DONE BUSINESS... i.e. BEFORE the FBI assumed the identity of the other criminal and he continued to communicate with them for months before ACTIVELY involving four others in his scheme!

What is really going on here is that you are sorry this piece of filth got caught! When he has served his sentence he should (and probably will) be deported back to Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by SirShymexx: 10:23pm On Mar 19, 2015
coogar:

the nature of the crime means he couldn't have committed it alone. they were going to attack ATMs and withdraw as much as possible to beat the normal daily limit.

the officer knew what he was doing. he asked for 4 soldiers before the commission of the crime. this kinda sting operation is unethical & its poor policing.

Once conspiracy gets involved it always make things more complicated - especially when the rest are ready to testify against the one who's in-charge of the whole operation. He got shafted by his foot soldiers.

Yes. What they did is unethical but they do give the feds targets sometimes - hence a lot of them do all kinds of things to meet them. And in a country that's still largely racially segregated, anything goes.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by SirShymexx: 10:25pm On Mar 19, 2015
bishop4APC:

12 months ? Nah, you only get 6months for card fraud. Yankee gone crazy on this judgement.

Lol. It's US not UK or Europe. grin

In the UK - he'd probably get suspended sentence or community service if that's the only crime he committed.

Yanks always throw the books at folks just for the prison industrial complex
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by KoloOyinbo(m): 10:30pm On Mar 19, 2015
SirShymexx:

Once conspiracy gets involved it always make things more complicated - especially when the rest are ready to testify against the one who's in-charge of the whole operation. He got shafted by his foot soldiers.

Yes. What they did is unethical but they do give the feds targets sometimes - hence a lot of them do all kinds of things to meet them. And in a country that's still largely racially segregated, anything goes.

Its a bit more than UNETHICAL - its ILLEGAL AND CRIMINAL!
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by KoloOyinbo(m): 10:31pm On Mar 19, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. It's US not UK or Europe. grin

In the UK - he'd probably get suspended sentence or community service if that's the only crime he committed.

Yanks always throw the books at folks just for the prison industrial complex

Card fraud covers anything from scamming a card for a few hundred dollars upward! This was a conspiracy with a group to steal over a million dollars! He got off lightly!
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by SirShymexx: 10:37pm On Mar 19, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Card fraud covers anything from scamming a card for a few hundred dollars upward! This was a conspiracy with a group to steal over a million dollars! He got off lightly!

Lol. Did he initiate it?

This excerpt should help you out:

Between September 26, 2013 and October 2, 2013, Adekoya communicated on-line with an undercover agent who had taken over the identity of a criminal with whom Adekoya had previously done business. The undercover agent advised Adekoya that he could create counterfeit ATM cards which Adekoya could use to fraudulently obtain money from banks in New Hampshire.

So, it's basically entrapment - albeit the conspiracy bit made it more complicated. Ethically, they just have mailed him after taking over the identity, to stop whatever illegal business he's doing.
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by coogar: 10:43pm On Mar 19, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Do you know HOW Juries are selected? NO defence lawyer would allow a July without a significant number of black people on it. I did not say ALL that was YOUR assumption - read the post again.

no, i don't know how juries are selected - actually, it's my first time of hearing the word jury. you are a sorry case - pandering to your white masters.

HE HAD PREVIOUSLY DONE BUSINESS... i.e. BEFORE the FBI assumed the identity of the other criminal and he continued to communicate with them for months before ACTIVELY involving four others in his scheme!

there's no empirical evidence it was him. 100 people can use the same chat profile to conduct any kinda business with anyone online. it's a circumstantial evidence. to convict anyone - the evidence has to be iron cast.

What is really going on here is that you are sorry this piece of filth got caught! When he has served his sentence he should (and probably will) be deported back to Nigeria.

what is really going on here is that you have no knowledge or idea how the system works in america - you are a media whorë. it's true as long as the media say it.

think about it. the population of black males in america is only 13% of the total population but the population of black males in american prisons is about 75% of the whole prison population.

what is the reason for this disproportionate statistics? can you answer it or you need a jury to tell you what it is? if this dude & his accomplices are white, they wouldn't have been convicted.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by Eluwilussit(m): 10:49pm On Mar 19, 2015
It is nice to go through this thread without some goats tribalizing it. We are here to look at issues critically at national and international levels. I hope we treat every thread on its own merits in the future. It should always be we Nigerians, against the rest of the world. When we come together as one, that's when we win.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by KoloOyinbo(m): 10:50pm On Mar 19, 2015
coogar:

no, i don't know how juries are selected - actually, it's my first time of hearing the word jury. you are a sorry case - pandering to your white masters.

there's no empirical evidence it was him. 100 people can use the same chat profile to conduct any kinda business with anyone online. it's a circumstantial evidence. to convict anyone - the evidence has to be iron cast.

what is really going on here is that you have no knowledge or idea how the system works in america - you are a media whorë. it's true as long as the media say it.

think about it. the population of black males in america is only 13% of the total population but the population of black males in american prisons is about 75% of the whole prison population.

what is the reason for this disproportionate statistics? can you answer it or you need a jury to tell you what it is? if this dude & his accomplices are white, he wouldn't have been convicted.

White masters? Do you THINK before you speak/post! I am an Oyinbo from Ireland and have travelled extensively in Europe, USA and Africa, Particularly Nigeria.

You don't know what a jury is? But yet were commenting on it a few posts ago? Greatest care is taken in selecting it so that the defendant gets a FAIR trial. If there is ANY problem with the Jury it can easily (and does) result in a mistrial or acquittal.

They do not just rely on an internet identity? Eventually they physically meet the other person AND seize their computer to confirm matters as well.

He was convicted on EVIDENCE, white or black was irrelevant. The statistics show clearly that the black population for historic reasons started from a lower economic base. Some of them (instead of working hard like the vast majority of American blacks - turn to crime for a 'get rich quick' solution.

Really your sympathy for criminals is appalling! I suppose you approve of all the corruption in Nigeria?
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by coogar: 11:03pm On Mar 19, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

White masters? Do you THINK before you speak/post! I am an Oyinbo from Ireland and have travelled extensively in Europe, USA and Africa, Particularly Nigeria.

you are clueless......
the fact that you are white doesn't make you any less subservient to a white master. in the slavery era, just like the white masters had negroes picking cotton in the field, they had rednecks in the field too making sure the negroes did their job. slavery was never really about black vs white - it was the rich vs the poor. it was the system va the common man. so technically, the rednecks & the negroes worked in unison for the white master.

in this analogy, you are a redneck hilly-billy!

They do not just rely on an internet identity? Eventually they physically meet the other person AND seize their computer to confirm matters as well.

i don't care what evidence they found.
it was the detective that sold the idea to them & provided the tools needed in the commission of the crime. all they had to do was turn up and withdraw cash from the ATM. it's a classic case of entrapment!

if he was supplying drugs to the detective - then we would agree he shouldn't have come in contact with drugs in the first place. this dude & his co-defendants travelled empty-handed(no cloned cards, no fake IDs, no weapons, no form of exhibit) to meet the detective. what exactly is their crime?

He was convicted on EVIDENCE, white or black was irrelevant. The statistics show clearly that the black population for historic reasons started from a lower economic base. Some of them (instead of working hard like the vast majority of American blacks - turn to crime for a 'get rich quick' solution.

i am not sure he was convicted on evidence. he was convicted based on the colour of his skin. this is why you have a considerable low population of white folks in prison. the same crime a black man would get 37 months imprisonment for, his caucasian counterpart would get slapped on the wrist.

you would have wept for your race the day twitter exploded when honest white folks posted en masse on the kinda crimes they had gotten away with based on their skin colour. you sit down there casting aspersions at the black race that they had the propensity to commit crimes? shame on you!

Really your sympathy for criminals is appalling! I suppose you approve of all the corruption in Nigeria?

your lack of deductive reasoning is baffling....
even a kid of 5 knows this is a classic case of entrapment. no wonder the detective turned the co-defendants against the dude to get plea-bargain. it was the only way they could get a conviction.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by dmozart: 11:14pm On Mar 19, 2015
How much he thief sef? Money that cannot even buy a peugeot !!! And they want to jail him. Is that good enough? Pls release the poor guy abeg. His president told him stealing is not corruption.
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:16pm On Mar 19, 2015
SirShymexx:

Did they turn to crime - or were they an oppressed and disenfranchised people who had their neighbourhoods flooded with crack and guns?

Don't even get me started with the Irish. It was: NO DOGS, NO BLACKS, AND NO IRISH. Stop feeling yourself, man.

The Irish mobs of Boston and the Irish Catholic wingnuts and terrorists. What about the Kennedy family and how they made their wealth via advanced crimes like racketeering? Oh, that's white crime isn't it? - hysterical.

He isn't defending the guy - he was just pointing out the unethical practice that's laced with covert racism.

He was not an American citizen so was neither oppressed or disenfranchised!

I condemn ALL crime, Nigerian, Irish or USA! I just don't use the fact that the Irish were made slaves and oppressed in the past as some silly excuse to condone crime! You guys ARE defending and making excuses for this con artist simply because he is black and has been caught scamming in a country with a majority of whites!

Or perhaps you think this guy can do what he likes and when he gets caught can start to scream racism, etc etc.

He is a criminal! Black or White - no difference! Got a FAIR trial in the absence of any evidence to show otherwise and received hois just deserts!

The 'covert racism' exists only in the minds of those who feel sorry for this piece of filth!

If you count tribalism as racism (and many do) then Nigeria is FAR more racist than America. I have travelled extensively in both!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by Nobody: 11:17pm On Mar 19, 2015
You folks don't worry
After his sentencing he will probably be stripped of his green card and deported to join APC grin where he will become a progressive like kuforiji that served time for fraud in Minnesota and returned to be the Lagos state speaker
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:18pm On Mar 19, 2015
dmozart:
How much he thief sef? Money that cannot even buy a peugeot !!! And they want to jail him. Is that good enough? Pls release the poor guy abeg. His president told him stealing is not corruption.

One million DOLLARS not naira! cheesy

About 190 million naira (subject to fluctuations)
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by coogar: 11:25pm On Mar 19, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

One million DOLLARS not naira! cheesy

About 190 million naira (subject to fluctuations)

criming while white....
according to you, it's never about the colour of skin but the evidence officers find on suspects.

explain this.....

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2228454_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2228455_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2228437_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2228438_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2228440_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

kolooyinbo, are you ashamed of your race yet or should i continue? cheesy
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:29pm On Mar 19, 2015
coogar:

criming while white....
according to you, it's never about the colour of skin but the evidence officers find on suspects.

explain this.....

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2228437_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2228438_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2228440_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

kolooyinbo, are you ashamed of your race yet or should i continue? cheesy

I am neither ashamed of my race or any other. I have seen people bribe their way out of much worse than this in Nigeria but would not attempt to use that to categorise ANY race!

Are you trying to make some kind of racist point here? If you are anti white please just say so!
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by coogar: 11:34pm On Mar 19, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

I am neither ashamed of my race or any other. I have seen people bribe their way out of much worse than this in Nigeria but would not attempt to use that to categorise ANY race!

bribing in nigeria is universal.
white, black or green - it doesn't matter. if you have money, you would get away with anything.

however, these are honest white folks tweeting about what they had gotten away with based on their skin colour. if a black person had committed same offence, he's going straight to prison.

your analogy with nigeria is daft!

Are you trying to make some kind of racist point here? If you are anti white please just say so!

what racist point?
did i make those tweets up? are you suddenly jittery that the mask of fair justice you were wearing initially has been pulled off & you have been showed up as a bumbling oaf?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:39pm On Mar 19, 2015
coogar:

bribing in nigeria is universal.
white, black or green - it doesn't matter. if you have money, you would get away with anything.

however, these are honest white folks tweeting about what they had gotten away with based on their skin colour. if a black person had committed same offence, he's going straight to prison.

your analogy with nigeria is daft!

what racist point?
did i make those tweets up? are you suddenly jittery that the mask of fair justice you were wearing initially has been pulled off & you have been showed up as a bumbling oaf?

Ah! You don't understand the analogy with Nigeria. Sorry if it was too complicated for you.

So you actually believe White people get away with crime in America? cheesy

You need to learn a little more about the world!

The guy was guilty! Got what he deserved! End of story! Nothing to do with his colour or nationality!
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by TolaniLuv: 11:41pm On Mar 19, 2015
After reading the story I really don't understand what's goin on here? This is like a police agent advising him to do crime have him a deal and then they arrested him for it? Is that a crime? He should get a good lawyer !
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by shamecurls(m): 11:45pm On Mar 19, 2015
y?

Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by coogar: 11:46pm On Mar 19, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Ah! You don't understand the analogy with Nigeria. Sorry if it was too complicated for you.

your analogy was daft!
you are comparing a country where there's no prejudice against a particular race as long as the individual has got money to a country where there's prejudice against black people regardless of the size of his pocket.

did you skip logic classes too?

So you actually believe White people get away with crime in America? cheesy

no they don't.....they get locked up in the same frequency with their black counterparts. no wonder 75% of the prison population in america is filled with black people.

You need to learn a little more about the world!

as you can see, i know about the world much more than you can ever know. you are not talking to a clueless african here - you are talking to a well-travelled african who has witnessed racism in the continental US.

The guy was guilty! Got what he deserved! End of story! Nothing to do with his colour or nationality!

don't try to save face.....
prove to us he's guilty. was this a classic case of entrapment or not? how much of the devices needed to perpetrate this crime did the dude travel with in the commission of the crime?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:47pm On Mar 19, 2015
TolaniLuv:
After reading the story I really don't understand what's goin on here? This is like a police agent advising him to do crime have him a deal and then they arrested him for it? Is that a crime? He should get a good lawyer !

Read it again. He was known to be dealing with another criminal. The authorities took over the other criminals identity (we are not told but they could only do this after the other guy would have been arrested and convicted on whatever the other case was).

After months of talking back and forth - and to make a conviction solid against any cries of entrapment he must be given every opportunity to back out and must make active decisions to continue the process at more than one point - the guy recruited four others to participate in the crime.

After all this his actions and intent were more than clear enough for a conviction.
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by internetpirate: 11:49pm On Mar 19, 2015
I'm really glad that no one mentioned the tribal slant of this crime...I mean, people who have said that they are not surprised that they are Igbo etc Please, always remember that when things happen, it's not an opportunity to divide our interests, but an opportunity to unite as Nigerians and eradicate our social ills. It's not a Yoruba thing in this case...it's a Nigerian problem!
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:55pm On Mar 19, 2015
coogar:

your analogy was daft!
you are comparing a country where there's no prejudice against a particular race as long as the individual has got money to a country where there's prejudice against black people regardless of the size of his pocket.

did you skip logic classes too?

no they don't.....they get locked up in the same frequency with their black counterparts. no wonder 75% of the prison population in america is filled with black people.

as you can see, i know about the world much more than you can ever know. you are not talking to a clueless african here - you are talking to a well-travelled african who has witnessed racism in the continental US.

don't try to save face.....
prove to us he's guilty. was this a classic case of entrapment or not? how much of the devices needed to perpetrate this crime did the dude travel with in the commission of the crime?

I see plenty of racism in Niaja! Your words certainly do not demonstrate any knowledge of how the world works. If there was the slightest possibility that this was entrapment they would not even bring the case to court! Too many used to be lost that way. The rules are very strict.

The prison population statistics in America (whatever the sociological reason -which I only briefly touched upon earlier) are no excuse for a filthy thief! You just want to cry racism at every opportunity - I wonder why? While the scourge of racism does exist and should be rightly condemned it is certainly not as prevalent as some people seem to think and does not excuse this pathetic and ignorant bleating about the west/developed world.

As for Nigerian tribalism/racism just look on almost any thread here. I have never seen the like of it anywhere else in the world!
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by ynkthomas: 11:56pm On Mar 19, 2015
Icecream4U:
The police must have told the white guys to testify against the nigerian so that they can be set free. This is so unfair. You called somebody to come take free cash, you later jailed the person for coming. sad

That is what is called plea bargaining. The guys that testified against him are going to jail too but will do less time because they helped the Police to nail the arrow-head of the crime.
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by internetpirate: 11:59pm On Mar 19, 2015
Hmmm! I guess I missed this...

sCun:
Typical Yorubas, when a Yoruba does something worthwile, you make sure everyone knows he's Yoruba, when he commits crime, you call him an American or Briton.
When an Igbo man commits crime, you ascribe it to his tribe, when a Yoruba man commits crime, you find a way to justify or excuse him.
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by TolaniLuv: 12:02am On Mar 20, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Read it again. He was known to be dealing with another criminal. The authorities took over the other criminals identity (we are not told but they could only do this after the other guy would have been arrested and convicted on whatever the other case was).

After months of talking back and forth - and to make a conviction solid against any cries of entrapment he must be given every opportunity to back out and must make active decisions to continue the process at more than one point - the guy recruited four others to participate in the crime.

After all this his actions and intent were more than clear enough for a conviction.

A very good lawyer would win this case! The story seems to be kinda complicated.
Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by KoloOyinbo(m): 12:02am On Mar 20, 2015
Icecream4U:

Why do you assume the four guys were white? It was not mentioned what colour they were.

The criminal arranged and involved them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by KoloOyinbo(m): 12:06am On Mar 20, 2015
TolaniLuv:

A very good lawyer would win this case! The story seems to be kinda complicated.

We do not know what was said to him initially.

If the scam was suggested by the authorities then he would have already been acquitted, even with a poor lawyer!

If they said (after assuming the identity of his criminal friend) we have equipment to defraud an ATM and then he said well sell me some cards it is open and shut and he has no change!

Entrapment has been such a hot issue in the states in the past that the rules are so strict now as to ensure it is the criminal who does all the pushing of the process.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian National To Serve 37 Months For Conspiracy To Commit Bank Fraud by Icecream4U(m): 12:13am On Mar 20, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Why do you assume the four guys were white? It was not mentioned what colour they were.

The criminal arranged and involved them.
same way the police arranged and involed the Nigerian.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police Service Commission Sets Up Fresh Panel To Probe Abba Kyari / Kogi Ex-Governor, Yahaya Bello Plotting To Leave For A North African Country / Fake Medical Doctor In Calabar Defrauds 30 People Of N6m (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.