Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,158 members, 7,821,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance (59553 Views)

Gorgeous Urhobo Bride From Niger Delta / Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language / Urhobo Names And Their Meanings. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Frankiss44(m): 1:25pm On Mar 21, 2015
deandavid:
erumu= goodness/beauty

That's me...
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Roon9(m): 1:25pm On Mar 21, 2015
priscaoge:
I can't see my name angry angry

Where dem Urhobo peeps here? Come n tell me what "OGECHI",..... "God's Time is the Best" is in ur language angry angry

Akpos nko?

Ogechineke--- okeoghene

Akpobar0 aka akpos means Dia is life ahead

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by uniquebeauty(f): 1:28pm On Mar 21, 2015
Proudly urhobo love dis name ogheneruona(God does wonders) okeoghene-God's gift, oghenechohja-God help the needy.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Frankiss44(m): 1:30pm On Mar 21, 2015
defemidefemi:
What is the meaning of
afokoghene
oghale
Ikpekri
? (dnt mind mine spelling if I dnt get any right.)

Afokeoghene... Godstime

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 21, 2015
Oghenerurokevwe- God did it for me
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Frankiss44(m): 1:33pm On Mar 21, 2015
Ofklaw:
My name is Oghenesuvwe meaning God leads me smiley cheesy grin

You can simply call me Osuvwe or Suvwe...

I see you Baba suvwe
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by vicchi12(f): 1:33pm On Mar 21, 2015
What's the meaning of Onome?
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 1:36pm On Mar 21, 2015
AKPOkona
AKPOyoma
AKPOfure
AKPOmedaye
AKPOnadoro
OnovugheAKPO

etc, are some derivatives of AKPOS
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Divineproject07(m): 1:39pm On Mar 21, 2015
I ask again, what of Onovwakpoyeya?
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by everrichy(m): 1:42pm On Mar 21, 2015
oborakpororo -what the world is thinking.
ugheminaye - I keep looking at them (enemies) .
Eghwrujakpo - lost in the world.
Aforkoghene -leaving it for God.
Oghale/Oghare - God's providence.
Erhimena -my destiny.
Ohwofasa - a person who scatters a place.
Ubrurhe. - A stick.
Emuesiri. - A good thing.
Itivere - they are now two.
Aghogho -joy or happiness.
Miyerijesu -I praise Jesus

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 1:44pm On Mar 21, 2015
barcanista:

God Bless Urhobo Nation

yo!
this is the way..

Efeotor......wealth is on the ground

ovie... king

ufuoma...peace

proudly urhobo
smiley kiss
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by everrichy(m): 1:44pm On Mar 21, 2015
Divineproject07:
I ask again, what of Onovwakpoyeya?

who toys with life?
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by everrichy(m): 1:46pm On Mar 21, 2015
Roon9:

Ogechineke--- okeoghene

Akpobar0 aka akpos means Dia is life ahead

Lolz. its Ogechi or Ogechukwu, I think.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 1:56pm On Mar 21, 2015
Kizmarty:

yo!
this is the way..

Efeotor......wealth is on the ground

ovie... king

ufuoma...peace

proudly urhobo
smiley kiss
. Ufuoma to you! Urhobo Wadoooooooo
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 2:01pm On Mar 21, 2015
everrichy:
oborakpororo -what the world is thinking.
ugheminaye - I keep looking at them (enemies) .
Eghwrujakpo - lost in the world.
Aforkoghene -leaving it for God.
Oghale/Oghare - God's providence.
Erhimena -my destiny.
Ohwofasa - a person who scatters a place.
Ubrurhe. - A stick.
Emuesiri. - A good thing.
Itivere - they are now two.
Aghogho -joy or happiness.
Miyerijesu -I praise Jesus
I love the bold. A friend usually call me "Aghogho". I didn't bother to ask her the meaning...thank you!!!!! Urhobo is blessed
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 2:01pm On Mar 21, 2015
Akpan107:
Nigeria for Goodluck!
amen
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Miramee(f): 2:02pm On Mar 21, 2015
barcanista:

God Bless Urhobo Nation
Urhobo...Wado!!!!
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 2:07pm On Mar 21, 2015
barcanista:
. Ufuoma to you! Urhobo Wadoooooooo

cheesy

ehhhhhhh!
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by everrichy(m): 2:07pm On Mar 21, 2015
barcanista:
I love the bold. A friend usually call me "Aghogho". I didn't bother to ask her the meaning...thank you!!!!! Urhobo is blessed

'her'
Hmmmm, Oghene biko.
You must have done something really really good for an urhobo lady to call you that.
Shuooo!
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Generalkorex(m): 2:08pm On Mar 21, 2015
Mamuzo - Goodluck
odinrin- patience
oghenero -there is God
obus-

okemute- ehm i don
forget
am nt an urhobo jus dat i don live with them wella

@literarymathy
come shey i get am

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 2:23pm On Mar 21, 2015
Bros, you wouldn't want to know that... grin

I must confess that I admire Urhobos a lot especially the food
everrichy:

'her'
Hmmmm, Oghene biko.
You must have done something really really good for an urhobo lady to call you that.
Shuooo!
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 2:25pm On Mar 21, 2015
Miramee:
Urhobo...Wado!!!!
Urhobo plenty for NL o

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 2:26pm On Mar 21, 2015
What's ''AKPOFURE''
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by MALACHY247: 2:28pm On Mar 21, 2015
akpor nko
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2015
kbshow100:
Pls what is the meaning of EDAFE (I'm not sure Of the spelling)

It has to do with wealth.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 2:37pm On Mar 21, 2015
Miramee:
Urhobo...Wado!!!!

i've problem replying your mail
network ish
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 2:37pm On Mar 21, 2015
priscaoge:
I can't see my name angry angry

Where dem Urhobo peeps here? Come n tell me what "OGECHI",..... "God's Time is the Best" is in ur language angry angry

Akpos nko?

Okeoghene

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 2:38pm On Mar 21, 2015
Minet16:
My dad's name is OGHENETORITSEBAWO UBRHURE IYERESANJUNMI. Abeg wetin e mean

That name is a blend of Urhobo and Itsekiri names.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 2:39pm On Mar 21, 2015
Queendo:
Oghenevwaerhe maens?

God gave us

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by elwears: 2:39pm On Mar 21, 2015
;DUrohbo wado!!!!!!!!!!! Ogheneochuko... God is my protector.

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Ofklaw: 2:43pm On Mar 21, 2015
Dymondgurl:
@ litearymathy, I don't know if I got the spelling right but the name is Mudjievoke. I need the translation pls.

Emuejevoke, there's time for everything. .

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 2:44pm On Mar 21, 2015
defemidefemi:
What is the meaning of
afokoghene
oghale
Ikpekri
? (dnt mind mine spelling if I dnt get any right.)

The names are not Urhobo names but Isoko names. Isoko and Urhobo are quite similar. However the first one is quite related to Afoke in Urhobo which loosely mmeans let's be calm / save him or her.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Big Python Saved In My Village(pics) / Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Ogu Town, (OKRIKA) Rivers State / Ooni Of Ife, Ogunwusi, Playing Football Amidst Marriage Crash Rumors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.