Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,795 members, 7,817,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe (2258 Views)

I Love My Girlfriend But My Family Don't Want Us To Marry. / His Mom Doesnt Want Me!! / Nigerians Watched An Abandoned Baby Cry Herself To Death Becos Of Fear Of Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by rudebouy: 7:46pm On Mar 22, 2015
My gf gave me a shocker dis weekend. She sed her mom doesnt want her to marry me cos am omoigbo. She prefers she marries a yoruba person.

Am depressed and kinda confused rite now cos am madly in love with dis girl, and its kinda hard to accept dat we cant just get married.

Pls house any word of advice for dis niccur?
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by Nobody: 7:52pm On Mar 22, 2015
rudebouy:
My gf gave me a shocker dis weekend. She sed her mom doesnt want her to marry me cos am omoigbo. She prefers she marries a yoruba person.

Am depressed and kinda confused rite now cos am madly in love with dis girl, and its kinda hard to accept dat we cant just get married.

igbo kwenu!!! go meet her mother that nigeria is 1. tell her make she no divide d country

1 Like

Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by rudebouy: 8:00pm On Mar 22, 2015
afolag:

igbo kwenu!!! go meet her mother that nigeria is 1. tell her make she no divide d country

Actually, am not from ibgo. Am from akwaibom. But d yorubas also call us omoigbo.
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by eddyline(m): 8:30pm On Mar 22, 2015
well, nobody wants a "rudeboy" for an in law. first change your name then remember, money answereth all things.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by Nobody: 1:15am On Mar 23, 2015
rudebouy:

Is there a dad in the picture?
Usually if you are able to convince the dad, the mom would go along with it but if na only mom,Goodluck

Jonathan grin
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by Richy4(m): 1:50am On Mar 23, 2015
rudebouy:

Actually, am not from ibgo Am from akwaibom. But d yorubas also call us omoigbo.

Even if you are not, is that why you have to destroy the spelling?
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by tiredface: 3:25am On Mar 23, 2015
Most Nigerians are honestly jealous of that tribe, Ibo. I'll surely visit the area the nest time I visit your country
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by An0nimus: 8:21am On Mar 23, 2015
rudebouy:

Is it the same girl that stays on your street that you really like but she has a funny accent?
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by slimyem: 9:04am On Mar 23, 2015
A lot of parents have said and still say the same thing about their children inter-marrying but inter-tribal marriages continue to happen and will continue to happen regardless of what the parents threaten
It all depends on the resolve of you two and how much patience you are willing to exercise. The parents will need to process it and eventually, they will have no choice but to let up. ..
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by rudebouy: 9:57am On Mar 23, 2015
An0nimus:

Is it the same girl that stays on your street that you really like but she has a funny accent?

Nope. Dat chapter is closed cos I actually cant stand dat accent.

Its d same girl dat leaves 15mins away from me but hasnt seen me in almost 3 months dat made me ask if I still have a girlfriend. D one I've been dating since 2013.
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by rudebouy: 10:00am On Mar 23, 2015
babyosisi:

Is there a dad in the picture?
Usually if you are able to convince the dad, the mom would go along with it but if na only mom,Goodluck

Jonathan grin

There is a Dad in the picture. But the man is very strict, firm and opinionated. I was thinking the mom wd be d one to convince d dad but rite now, am so so discouraged cos I think its a dead end.

My sister warned me abt dis 'omoigbo' tin last year but I tot she was just being over-protective and pessimistic.
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by komek(m): 10:04am On Mar 23, 2015
No mind the gurl. Go and find out from her mum by ursef first before you conclude. Because these Yoruba girls have a way of deceiving non yoruba boys after turning them to Alhaji bring bring. Most of them would not want to marry a non yoruba boy but they will date them to get something from them and have one Gbolahan or Yinka somewhere that they may end up with.
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by Nobody: 10:11am On Mar 23, 2015
You better move on with your life if this girl aint ready to secure the relationship and convince her mom.
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by An0nimus: 11:07am On Mar 23, 2015
rudebouy:

Nope. Dat chapter is closed cos I actually cant stand dat accent.

Its d same girl dat leaves 15mins away from me but hasnt seen me in almost 3 months dat made me ask if I still have a girlfriend. D one I've been dating since 2013.
Ok bro. Talk to someone else in the family who you feel can help further your ministry. Don't give up without a fight. Good luck.
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by Nobody: 5:01pm On Mar 23, 2015
rudebouy:

There is a Dad in the picture. But the man is very strict, firm and opinionated. I was thinking the mom wd be d one to convince d dad but rite now, am so so discouraged cos I think its a dead end.

My sister warned me abt dis 'omoigbo' tin last year but I tot she was just being over-protective and pessimistic.

We advised a girl on another thread whose dad didn't like the fiancé because of his tribe to ask the bobo to go and meet with her dad and talk man to man and declare his intension
He went with a friend and did that,it wasn't easy ,the dada stood his ground
A few weeks later the father gave his consent.
Those people don't know you personally so they are judging you based on a stereotype
Nobody would want their precious daughter marrying off just anyone and coming from a different tribe,you need to convince them their daughter will be in safe hands.
Go and meet with the dad,go with a friend and let him get his personal impression of you
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by rudebouy: 5:05pm On Mar 23, 2015
babyosisi:

We advised a girl on another thread whose dad didn't like the fiancé because if his tribe to ask the bobo to go and meet with her dad and talk man to man and declare his intension
He went either a friend and did that
A few weeks later the father gave his consent.
Those people don't know you personally so they are judging you based on a stereotype
Go and meet with the dad,and let him get his personal impression of you

Thanks a million. Neva even tot of dat. Wd consider dat.

But am also suspecting dat her parents are trying to hook her up with one yoruba dude cos her attiude has been funny lately.
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by Nobody: 5:08pm On Mar 23, 2015
rudebouy:

Thanks a million. Neva even tot of dat. Wd consider dat.

But am also suspecting dat her parents are trying to hook her up with one yoruba dude cos her attiude has been funny lately.

Remember also that your folks may not be that thrilled about the girl either ,have you had that conversation with your people ?
Regarding that last line,you need to be sure you are on the same page with the girl
You don't want to go and make a fool of yourself if her heart is now somewhere else
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by rudebouy: 5:18pm On Mar 23, 2015
babyosisi:

Remember also that your folks may not be that thrilled about the girl either ,have you had that conversation with your people ?
Regarding that last line,you need to be sure you are on the same page with the girl
You don't want to go and make a fool of yourself if her heart is now somewhere else

My folks dont have a problem with whoever I want to marry, so long as d chic is good.

Am not sure her heart is somewia else yet. I think she is just being confused as a result of a family pressure and d fact dat she has ALWAYS being an obedient child to her very possessive and over-protective parents. Being the first child and only daughter, I think d pressure on her is pretty much. I suspect her mom doesnt want her to see me anymore.
Re: Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe by nurey(m): 5:46pm On Mar 23, 2015
Guy this is one big problem we have in Nigeria, as igbos will tell their daughters not to marry Yorubas, also Yoruba mothers will tell their daughters not to marry igbos.

They can only force a camel to the stream but they can't force it to drink water. If you show true and sincere intentions, by been a man and speaking with the parents, also letting both families knoow each other well, I am sure God will answer your prayer and soften the parents heart. I hope you are ripe and ready for marriage not boy friend girl friend package.

(1) (Reply)

How To Spot Your Enemies Easily / She Is Your Wife Not Your Slave / Why I Despise My Father.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.