Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? (1502 Views)

Best Nigerian Universities To Study Engineering And Mathematics. / Top 10 Universities To Study Engineering In Nigeria / Why Are Nigerian Lecturers Wicked To Their Students? (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? by Rapmoney(m): 8:18pm On Mar 24, 2015
It is very obvious that Nigerian girls are very few in faculties of Engineering in our universities. Are they scared of studying this professional course or is the capacity of their brains not strong enough to withstand and understand Engineering concepts, formular, language, topics or lectures?

Mechanical Engineering, 2006 set in my school had only one female...Elect/Elect had 3...Civil had none grin...Chemical had 3...Metallurgical had only 4!!!

Then go to Mass Comm; it seemed males were given a stern warning that they would be hanged if they ever apply grin. Go to Sociology, Environmental Management, Law, Agric Economics, etc, you would be amazed by staggering number of females you would see cheesy

So why do the females run away from Engineering courses and the profession?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Mar 24, 2015
OK..
...I'd say your observations are quite correct...though may not be 100% true for some Nigerian universities....***back then in school I had female engr colleagues constantly topping the charts amongst ENGINE men, whether in examinations or competitions...(not Runs o)***
...Well! The basic challenge here isn't about the quality of a lady's grey matter...it's purely a problem of weird societal stereotypes...***the usual "women are the weaker vessel " cliche ****
....whether na woman o abi na man, ENGINEERING no get any discrimination based on gender....so far you dey determined to reach your set goal...
....in fact sef, ladies are better mathematicians, scientists or engineers (so I've discovered)....
Re: Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? by Habayomie(m): 9:19pm On Mar 24, 2015
na fear of PHYSICS nd FURTHER MATHEMATICS dey grip most of dem.grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? by obiak4(m): 9:27pm On Mar 24, 2015
dewapella:
OK..
...I'd say your observations are quite correct...though may not be 100% true for some Nigerian universities....***back then in school I had female engr colleagues constantly topping the charts amongst ENGINE men, whether in examinations or competitions...(not Runs o)***
...Well! The basic challenge here isn't about the quality of a lady's grey matter...it's purely a problem of weird societal stereotypes...***the usual "women are the weaker vessel " cliche ****
....whether na woman o abi na man, ENGINEERING no get any discrimination based on gender....so far you dey determined to reach your set goal...
....in fact sef, ladies are better mathematicians, scientists or engineers (so I've discovered)....
true !!!!!! May eledumare guide you so that who would not kick the bucket like sawyer via ebola
in engineering women are better most times than men
most women that studied engineering are simply the best #firsthand testimony

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? by Rapmoney(m): 9:56pm On Mar 24, 2015
dewapella:
OK..
I don't believe women are better mathematicians or the likes based on what I'm seeing in our society! I stand to be corrected with proofs and evidences!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? by Rapmoney(m): 9:57pm On Mar 24, 2015
Habayomie:
There is point in your opinion cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? by Rapmoney(m): 9:59pm On Mar 24, 2015
obiak4:

true !!!!!! May eledumare guide you so that who would not kick the bucket like sawyer via ebola
in engineering women are better most times than men
most women that studied engineering are simply the best #firsthand testimony
But I can't see any sign of that
Re: Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Mar 24, 2015
Rapmoney:
I don't believe women are better mathematicians or the likes based on what I'm seeing in our society! I stand to be corrected with proofs and evidences!
...I have more than enough proofs both from personal experience and from several documented/undocumented accounts right here in Nigeria....I'd suggest you do a survey of engr or tech ladies in Nigerian universities...and check their academic prowess! I guess from your discovery you can find answers to your questions....***and I must add that ladies are both breaking and setting records ***
Re: Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Mar 24, 2015
Habayomie:
..True! But I'd say it's not necessarily a FEAR thing. Trace the problem down to a faulty academic foundation. Females are also interested in solving society's problems via Engineering. Their major handicap is the shortage of quality education in most Nigerian secondary schools especially in core science subjects....
Re: Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? by Rapmoney(m): 11:28pm On Mar 24, 2015
dewapella:

..True! But I'd say it's not necessarily a FEAR thing. Trace the problem down to a faulty academic foundation. Females are also interested in solving society's problems via Engineering. Their major handicap is the shortage of quality education in most Nigerian secondary schools especially in core science subjects....
How are the males coping then with the same shortage of quality education in Nigerian secondary schools? Don't you think there's a loop hole there?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? by Nobody: 12:07am On Mar 25, 2015
Rapmoney:
How are the males coping then with the same shortage of quality education in Nigerian secondary schools? Don't you think there's a loop hole there?
Yeah! There is! Same handicap affects both males and females.
You should understand that males in our society are more favoured to dominate in terms of academic or career pursuits, opportunities, cultural norms etc...Check the average ratio of boys to girls in our schools and of course, males would record a higher pop. size **this is no excuse for females to under perform academically or professionally ***
....however, from my personal experience...I would say females thrive better despite the odds.....they even go the extra mile brilliantly!
.....all they need is the right environment plus equal opportunities....
Re: Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? by saintvc(m): 1:14am On Mar 25, 2015
Only ugly girls study engineering because the pretty ones have no brain

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? by obiak4(m): 6:29am On Mar 25, 2015
Rapmoney:
But I can't see any sign of that
search look see find and you shall see
who no find no go see,.....bible
who no ask no go recieve...iwe mino

so brother ask google your best friend about female performance in engineering majority are first class grade material
my 100m cowries contribution
Re: Why Are Nigerian Females Scared To Study Engineering? by Rapmoney(m): 7:31am On Mar 25, 2015
obiak4:

search look see find and you shall see
who no find no go see,.....bible
who no ask no go recieve...iwe mino

so brother ask google your best friend about female performance in engineering majority are first class grade material
my 100m cowries contribution
Ehen!

(1) (Reply)

Federal University Dutsinma Katsina Holds Maiden Convocation In Grand Style Pics / 53-year-old Lady & Mother Of 7 Children Enrols In Secondary School.Pics Go Viral / Apply For United States Scholarships For Africans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.