Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,946 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

Can The Distribution And Sale Of Used Books And Novels Thrive In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can The Distribution And Sale Of Used Books And Novels Thrive In Nigeria? (5150 Views)

My Experience In Egg Distribution Investment. / Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi / Will A Large Supermarket Thrive In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can The Distribution And Sale Of Used Books And Novels Thrive In Nigeria? by Nttinghill(m): 2:39pm On Sep 03, 2006
I would like to know if there is a virile market for used books and novels in Nigeria?

I see marketers under Ikeja Bridge selling used books cheap and I wonder if their suppliers or they themselves are making reasonable profits.

Does anyone have any idea of how they do it? What is the structure of the market and if possible contacts. Thanks.
Re: Can The Distribution And Sale Of Used Books And Novels Thrive In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 4:08pm On Sep 03, 2006
If you can get used copies of bestselling books, they will sell, because Nigerians can't afford new ones.

Ayn Rand novels, Marvel and DC comics, John Grisham novels, textbooks for university students, et cetera.
Re: Can The Distribution And Sale Of Used Books And Novels Thrive In Nigeria? by Blackman: 12:17pm On Sep 04, 2006
Nttinghill,

two years ago a thot about this idea and did a little research to see if there was a market in Nigeria for used books and novels etc. The result was that the market was there but my problem was when it came to getting the supplies at the right price. Also the cost of shipping books from UK to Lagos then was not cost effective.

Other pressing issues then made me abort the the project temporarily, but this seems like another opportunity to look at it again. If you interested in any sort of partnership let me know.

If set up and done well it will be a success story, the cost of new books is prohibitive for most nigerians. Other areas i explored relating to this was a book club similar to video clubs where people can rent novels at a price for a period, after paying a membership fee.

2 Likes

Re: Can The Distribution And Sale Of Used Books And Novels Thrive In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 12:27pm On Sep 04, 2006
Other areas i explored relating to this was a book club similar to video clubs where people can rent novels at a price for a period, after paying a membership fee.
I can make more money by simply lending out other people proven books - even used ones - than writing my own. How depressing. sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can The Distribution And Sale Of Used Books And Novels Thrive In Nigeria? by minemine: 2:32pm On Sep 04, 2006
I picked up the idea of selling imported fairly used book from what I saw under the bridge in Ikeja. From experience, doing this is profitable especially when you have the opportunity
of selling at a central business place or close to higher institutions. The genre you choose will also determine how big and fast you make profits. ICT and personal development stuffs do make it well.

When I started I chose my own prices and attracted people with the banner inscription that says "Imported Books, Magazines and Tapes Selling Fast Here at Half Price". Even, the dollar labels on the books were tools I used to extra-ordinarily sell.

I added some other 'tricks' for people to buy.

My advice: Just start small.

If you are interested in getting to know how I probed to have necessary insider information of the business or in knowing where to source your books, magazines, novels and audio/video tapes in Lagos, do not hestitate to contact me.

I will also share with you some uncommon ways to sell to students on campuses.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can The Distribution And Sale Of Used Books And Novels Thrive In Nigeria? by freelance(m): 5:35pm On Sep 04, 2006
Seun you ve a very good idea and if you really want to start that idea. just focus mainly on your target market that is schools. You would be surprise it could blow up and in no time you cud be giving advert placements from these schools.Just tried and make it cheap and if you can make it like cartoons. I remember when i was in primary school there used to be a magazine like that and i enjoyed reading it and people used to buy it. Guess it was binta my daughter but i think it was from wale adenuga.And for that business you would have to develop a good marketing and distribution network.I believe there is no harm in trying and you never can say how far you can go unless you have tried.You will suceed,

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former…….
Re: Can The Distribution And Sale Of Used Books And Novels Thrive In Nigeria? by Nttinghill(m): 8:24pm On Sep 04, 2006
Thank you guys for the info.

What I have in mind is to open a shop where people can come and borrow and buy -- all these will be classified of course -- used books and new ones if available.

The problem is having a regular supplier. I have other side attractions of course, e-books and a reading cafe. Call it a kind of coffee house.

Additional info will be appreciated. tnx.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can The Distribution And Sale Of Used Books And Novels Thrive In Nigeria? by my2cents(m): 3:57pm On Sep 05, 2006
Nittinghill,

I don't know about the book landscape in the UK, but here is how I would go about it from the states (I too, have thought about this venture but had to withdraw cos of high shipping costs angry) What I do now is get a list of books from actual pple I know will be buying such books, get them to drop a deposit with a friend in naija (that way, I don't bring them over, only to be told they don't want the book anymore), then bring the books during my next visit. Due to extra luggage charges, I limit my freight to a certain number of books, but I will say though, that at least for me, the extra money does come in handy wink Of course, I incorporate the cost of extra luggage into the cost of such books. Of course, yes I know, this is only on a small scale, but hey, it works for me! he he.

In the states, there are many bookshops that sell used books at 50% discount (minimum) as well as bookshops that are going out of business (thanks to the likes of borders and barnes and noble). For the former, you just check to see if what they have is what pple are looking for back home. For the latter, it make b tedious scouring the country for such stores (which don't tend to advertise in order to keep costs low, etc) but the effort is worth it. You could buy a book for the equivalent of N50 and sell it for 3 or 4 times that, depending on what kind of book it is. You could even sell the book at the cover price and offer a "discount". When pple want a book, trust me, within limits, they are willing to drop the dough for it.

Either way, just make sure that whatever books you want to sell, the demand for it is there. Finally, make sure that if and when you do set up shop, you do so big time and make sure you are always selling the most up-to-date books. Why? Cos from my experience, once Eze in aba gets a hold of it, he will re-print such books and sell them at a quarter of what you are selling for grin

Case in point: B4 my wife came to the states, there was a book I sent to her on marriage. Once she got it, she called me to let me know that she had the same book. I said it was impossible as that edidtion of the book had just come out. Once she did land in the states, I obtained the book from her only to find out that it was paper back, in black and white and "written and published" by a publishing press in aba cool No fear of repurcussion on the re-printed book whatsoever!!

Good luck!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can The Distribution And Sale Of Used Books And Novels Thrive In Nigeria? by dbanj201(m): 12:16pm On Sep 06, 2006
hey was hup,plz i would like anyone to give me the address or places where i can get imported used books here in lagos,i want to go into a reading&novel cafe business, i will appreciate ur effort, plz kindly call me on this no:08022034581 or send me a mail to:frens4evar@yahoo.ca , my name is :john 4rn festac, tankx cool grin cheesy wink smiley
Re: Can The Distribution And Sale Of Used Books And Novels Thrive In Nigeria? by prosper(m): 8:48am On Sep 07, 2006
Guys!!!
You can get buyers for your books in Nigeria at www.flegz.com/books/
That place just started and it's growing like wild fire.
There's advertisement on campuses for used books.
So you don't need to travel before you get a buyer.
Cheers
Re: Can The Distribution And Sale Of Used Books And Novels Thrive In Nigeria? by six33fourng: 5:42pm On Feb 01, 2023
Buy books online from your favourite bookstore in Nigeria. We have a veritable collection of books that span categories as diverse as you could possibly expect.

From segments like accountancy, to parenting and pregnancy, to banking and finance, to even topics on yoga and meditation – almost any category you seek you would books on it.

Apply to join the largest independent marketplace for book sellers today! In addition to helping us to support you and our fellow booksellers, you'll get:

Lowest fees and commissions of any commercial marketplace.
No monthly fee option — you don't pay if you don't sell.
Reach thousands times more people than a magazine ad, for a fraction of the cost

Visit - https://six33four.ng/bookstore/

(1) (Reply)

Why Many Businesses Fail In Nigeria / Fear, Pity As 3500 Bankers Lose Jobs In One Week / Regville - Hub Of Company Registration, Tax Matters And Other Allied Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.