Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,819 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

Urgent: What Is The Prospect Of GIS In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Urgent: What Is The Prospect Of GIS In Nigeria (2586 Views)

Geographic Information System(gis) In Kaduna / Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas / Ask Me Any Question At All As Regards ICAN Examinations & Prospect Of Accountant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent: What Is The Prospect Of GIS In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 25, 2015
Hello house,

I'm currently doing my masters in Geographic Information System (GIS) though I studied agric during my undergraduate days but I need info from anyone about the prospect of GIS in Nigeria. My foray into GIS is as a result of my background in IT and I didn't wanna do masters in Agric so I opted for GIS after much research on it and its application in virtually any field.

I'm aware of its application in agriculture, engineering, banking, medicine and a whole lot of fields but I have no idea of its application in Nigeria.

Is GIS used in Nigeria? Does the government or corporations knows its importance? If its being used, which company or organization makes use of it and its prospect? Anyone with experience or an idea should please help with answers.

I also need resources to use so as to master it well.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Urgent: What Is The Prospect Of GIS In Nigeria by matrixme(m): 3:51pm On Mar 25, 2015
na hot cake o! Everyone is currently doing MBA; HSC and other common professional qualifications out there. I think the only way to get ahead of the competition is to do something entirely novel. When you look at the possibilities of GIS in agriculture and diverse fields these days, then you would know you've made a wise choice. Just like that maxim: I will prepare myself, then I will wait. You could be recruited by a foreign firm someday. Are you doing the Masters course in any university within the country? if yes, where?? Best wishes.

1 Like

Re: Urgent: What Is The Prospect Of GIS In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 25, 2015
matrixme:
na hot cake o! Everyone is currently doing MBA; HSC and other common professional qualifications out there. I think the only way to get ahead of the competition is to do something entirely novel. When you look at the possibilities of GIS in agriculture and diverse fields these days, then you would know you've made a wise choice. Just like that maxim: I will prepare myself, then I will wait. You could be recruited by a foreign firm someday. Are you doing the Masters course in any university within the country? if yes, where?? Best wishes.

Thanks for the heads up. Yes, the university is within the country and also having an external training by the side. I'm just trying to know the prospect in naija even though I know its hot cake applicable to any field. Just hope naija would see the prospect and importance. Thanks once more
Re: Urgent: What Is The Prospect Of GIS In Nigeria by almaliki: 9:13am On Mar 26, 2015
Dude...GIS is gradually being accepted in Nigeria by the day....there are great prospects in the feild...telecoms, d oil industry,d minning industry,seismic industry,land/geophysical survey industry,govt parastals like inec, agis,rivgis,bgis,etc all practice gis in Nigeria....the health sector has even keyed in to gis.....i would advise you to add one or two areas of information technology to your gis cert.....e.g database mgt, programming or server administration.....this can serve as a bridge for you to switch b/w agric-gis-information technology, if u can sharpen ur skills in statistical analysis...it will be an added advantage....pray a lot & network as well..........hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: Urgent: What Is The Prospect Of GIS In Nigeria by sadiqgcon: 8:25am On Aug 12, 2015
We are on this together am an agric engineer hoping to drift into GIS aswell. Though a little skeptical about the prospect in Nigeria, still making my research on it. But am sure its the right choice. Will like to discuss this further with you
Re: Urgent: What Is The Prospect Of GIS In Nigeria by emak1991: 4:15pm On Oct 25, 2019
For your Geographic information system training and analysis, contact me on 08106244065

Re: Urgent: What Is The Prospect Of GIS In Nigeria by emak1991: 4:19pm On Jan 21, 2021
Get d best GIS (Geographic information system) training..u will ive d opportunity to learn different things like NDWI(normalized difference water index),NDVI (Normalized difference vegetation index),Time mapping, 3d mapping, georeferencing,digitizing,Geocoding,watershed delineation, stream extraction, digitizing in google earth, image classification, land cover mapping, land change modeler and celulla automata/Markov chain for land cover forecast/prediction, creation of web map(Qgis2web),map publishing (Qgis cloud),preparation of data,buffering analysis, service area analysis, cost path,location allocation analysis, contour mapping etc..... U will also have d opportunity to use different GIS software's such as ArcGis,Qgis,surfer,idrisi terrset,Global mapper,smartGIS, SAS planet,map puzzle etc... Online training 12k, physical training 40k.call 08106244065..apply GIS to agriculture
Re: Urgent: What Is The Prospect Of GIS In Nigeria by emak1991: 10:59am On Jan 11, 2022
For your GIS training (Online and physical) and project, contact Center for Geospatial Science and 3D Graphics Design Ltd (CGS3D). Call +2348106244065 or +2347089382284

(1) (Reply)

Chartered Institute Of Environmental And Public Health Management Of Nigeria / Can A Contract Of Employment Be Legally Established Without Appointment Letter? / I Need Urgent Help In Either Staad Pro, Sap 2000 Or Orion....engineers,please.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.