Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,329 members, 7,826,307 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

A Nairalander Letter To APC&PDP: The Solution To The Power Sector - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Nairalander Letter To APC&PDP: The Solution To The Power Sector (594 Views)

Forget The Noise By APC, PDP – Agbakoba / I Have Fulfilled My Promise On Power Sector - Jonathan / 8 Feared Dead As APC, PDP Clash In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Nairalander Letter To APC&PDP: The Solution To The Power Sector by handsomebolanle: 5:29pm On Mar 25, 2015
WHAT IS THE SOLUTION
Having taken a critical look at the APC manifesto on the value of power, one will say it’s impressive and well outlined. However, there are certain things that need to be put into consideration to ensure longevity of this agenda, thus avoiding major setbacks that will put these into a pit.
The power sector is not a “magical wonder” job but unfortunately the citizens are more interested in result and not the process involved. Therefore each government that passes by with no improvement in power sector is regarded a failure. On the other hand, every government comes with her policy bearing expert assurance as the best policy while ignoring the unforeseen thus leading to unaccountable waste of funds.
It’s a great delight to see our two parties (PDP and APC) stating boldly that privatisation of power sector is the way forward. The Vice Presidential aspirant of the APC, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo further gave details of the need to privatise the transmission sector and also decentralised the power sector thereby ensuring this will meet the mono-mini station for profit gain.
Whoever wins, even if we can ignore the essence and advantages of privatising the power sector, we should also know this might not be the total solution. The question remains WHAT IS THE SOLUTION to the current epileptic supply?
I must refer to the key point from the “UNBUNDLING AND PRIVATISATION OF THE NIGERIAN ELECTRICITY SECTOR REALITY OR A MYTH? By Nkiruka Chidia Maduekwe.
She stated that; to make this reform a success, the following issues need to be addressed.
First, there should be “rehabilitation and overhauling of the generation, transmission and distribution. My experience during my one year NGSDP (NAPTIN Graduate Skills and Development Program) in NAPTIN(National Power Training Institute of Nigeria) calls for an urgent modernization of equipment and facilities in the sector (Generation, Transmission and Distribution). We have had cases of several faults occurring and lives lost due to the old equipment. Most of the relays need to be changed to modern ones because some of them do not even detect fault as they’re meant to. This means proper action and/or solution isn’t carried out. Also, I strongly advise such equipment should be built in Nigeria to save the cost of procuring equipment and over dependence on manufacturers outside the country. Giving local companies the specification and design of such equipment will encourage such industry. However, this calls for a development of other sectors such as the steel industry thus creating more employment and improving basic professionalism in the country.
Secondly; institution appointment should be based on criteria such as experience (managerial and technical personnel) rather than political favouritism. It should be mandatory and compulsory for any employed staff irrespective of any office or position to have a minimum of two years field experience. Inability of certain staffs to work with basic equipment in something as little as a switch box can jeopardize the sector due to lack of technical knowledge. There is an urgent need for knowledgeable hands in the power sector. Graduates of NAPTIN(National Power Training Institutes) who have undergone field experience remain an asset not to be overlooked. The recent graduates should be absolved and brushed up on regular courses while the recent graduate should be absolved to go through practical field training but instead we see them in saturated sectors such as banking while some remain unemployed in spite of below average power supply. Political favouritism should not be condoned so as to avoid more epileptic than current courses. Laws should be passed to ensure orderliness and stop such insanity.
Importantly; those in high ranks of the power sector should be given regular education on such and risk it portends for the sector.
Lastly, political will is crucial in order to make the reform a success. In as much we have had past and present promises, agenda and manifesto, however time will be our best measure to know the truth. Therefore I challenge the parties to go again and take a critical study and review issues above and the power sector in general to give sincere details on TIME, STAGE and PLAN in the accomplishment of major and minor projects and let the citizens determine their efficiency and not by themselves.
Again I challenge all political parties; When there is power, there will be empowerment.

ONASANYA DAMILARE

(1) (Reply)

My Message To Nigerians For 2015 Polls / BREAKING!: Telephone Numbers Of Key Opposition Leaders Has Been Hacked/jammed / No More Poll Shift As Manual Accreditation Will Reduce Card Reader Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.