Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? (14213 Views)

Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? / Nigerian Ghetto Names / Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by Nobody: 3:14am On Jan 21, 2009
Hey folks, I beg to disagree with those who mock and scorn kids with "ghetto" names. Names like:

Publeesha, LaQueefa, Taneadra, Sequayah, Verondah, Tomeishaka, Cavaleesha, ZaNiqua, Monifa, Quanshekiya, Aushaniquia, Neferteria, Zaytaysha, Quoshanique, Shaquitta, Barsheniqua, Starkeisha, Jayzel, Xquateesha, Yugoshunda, Taqweeshea,Shavondalyn, Deoshenique, Reignbow, Quatinazhia, Raqueeda, Kenyatta, Varrasica, Traniqua .

Parents have a right to name their kids whatever they want. Heck, I've seen a girl named Limousina. What do you folks think??
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by KarmaMod(f): 3:15am On Jan 21, 2009
All garbage.

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by milknhoney(f): 3:15am On Jan 21, 2009
I can pretty much tell you made up more than half these names out of spite.
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by Nobody: 3:19am On Jan 21, 2009
kalokalo:

Hey folks, I beg to disagree with those who mock and scorn kids with "ghetto" names. Names like:

Publeesha, LaQueefa, Taneadra, Sequayah, Verondah, Tomeishaka, Cavaleesha, ZaNiqua, Monifa, Quanshekiya, Aushaniquia, Neferteria, Zaytaysha, Quoshanique, Shaquitta, Barsheniqua, Starkeisha, Jayzel, Xquateesha, Yugoshunda, Taqweeshea,Shavondalyn, Deoshenique, Reignbow, Quatinazhia, Raqueeda, Kenyatta, Varrasica, Traniqua .

Parents have a right to name their kids whatever they want. Heck, I've seen a girl named Limousina. What do you folks think??
LOL!! This ought to be a joke. Like WDH?
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by onyinye2(f): 3:20am On Jan 21, 2009
I have lived in an area where there were man Black Americans. And well actually I really didn't see many people with so called "Ghetto Names". In fact some were better than the english names i saw Africans giving their children.

I would see maybe a few Shaniques and possibly Deshawn but all that crap and stereotypical names you wrote above were just out landish and ridiculous. If you want to make fun of names, why not go after celebs who name they child: Apple and Saffron.
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by Nobody: 3:29am On Jan 21, 2009
milknhoney:

I can pretty much tell you made up more than half these names out of spite.

Actually those are the real names of people. I was once a math tutor under the "No Child Left Behind" program in harlem NY and these were some of the names I came across. White folks make up names too with no repercussion. Pls tell me what names like Brennan, Steny, Logan, marissa means? They live life just fine.
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by spoilt(f): 3:32am On Jan 21, 2009
how could you forget rasputia? grin
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by tpia: 3:55am On Jan 21, 2009
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by osisi2(f): 3:58am On Jan 21, 2009
There was a social worker I knew named concupecia.
One runner was named latrina
The funniest of all is a girl named la-a by spelling
who insisted the dash had to be pronounced.
they called her la[b]dash[/b]a
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by KarmaMod(f): 4:01am On Jan 21, 2009
Rofl. Osisi was this in the South? grin
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by Nobody: 4:06am On Jan 21, 2009
At this PathMark close to where I used to live, I found regular fellows with names like Uniqua, Todneisha, Sh Teile, Saquan. Needless to say, their names represent a part of the black urban culture.
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by onyinye2(f): 4:09am On Jan 21, 2009
KarmaMod:

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaarup!!! cool

kalokalo:

At this PathMark close to where I used to live, I found regular fellows with names like Uniqua, Todneisha, Sh Teile, Saquan. Needless to say, their names represent a part of the black urban culture.
What is the point of all this? For us to consider giving these made up names to our own children? I mean what??
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by osisi2(f): 4:13am On Jan 21, 2009
KarmaMod:

the ladasha yes
Concupecia was in Yankeeland
but you know all blacks are basically from the South
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by Nobody: 4:14am On Jan 21, 2009
tpia:

at least try to pronounce the names well, is all I can say.

Such people tend not to like it when you mispronounce their names.
So true, they get so mad with that nasty ghetto attitude. grrrr

I mean, like wdh, give us the simpler version if you don't want your name mispronounced.

Quatinazhia. Like W.D.H? undecided
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by osisi2(f): 4:20am On Jan 21, 2009
Queenisha
sheniqua
Quantisha
charamika
Nateeka
nadeshja
Tichina
laudesia
Oneisha
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by onyinye2(f): 4:25am On Jan 21, 2009
**osisi:

but you know all blacks are basically from the South
Yeah because black don't do cold weather. I see yal northerners dying with your blizzards and hot cocoa. tongue

HeatFusion:

So true, they get so mad with that nasty ghetto attitude. grrrr

I mean, like wdh, give us the simpler version if you don't want your name mispronounced.
Hey, I absolutely hate it when folk mispronounce my name. I swear you would think my name was in freaking hebrew. So that is why I tell people just call me Onyi oka. All this "Onayne" Onyeye" "Onye" <------- Yes these are the ways my name is pronounced and attempted to be spelled.

That is why my friends had to change their names because people are too inconsiderate to learn it right so instead of Chukwunonso, they changed it Chuks. And from Ekenechukwu, they changed it to Kenny.
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by TOYOSI20(f): 4:26am On Jan 21, 2009
**osisi:

Queenisha
sheniqua
Quantisha
charamika
Nateeka
nadeshja
Tichina
laudesia
Oneisha

ROTFL!! cheesy
Na wa oo!!
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by chamotex(m): 4:26am On Jan 21, 2009
kalokalo:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

What the heck is Publeesha, Yugoshynda and Xquateesha. In short all the names have twiated my tongue just trying to pronounce them.

Traniqua ko, Tranquilizer ni
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by Nobody: 4:31am On Jan 21, 2009
onyinye2:

Hey, I absolutely hate it when folk mispronounce my name. I swear you would think my name was in freaking hebrew. So that is why I tell people just call me Onyi oka. All this "Onayne" Onyeye" "Onye" <------- Yes these are the ways my name is pronounced and attempted to be spelled.

That is why my friends had to change their names because people are too inconsiderate to learn it right so instead of Chukwunonso, they
changed it Chuks. And from Ekenechukwu, they changed it to Kenny.
Lol, I understand why they mispronounce my name, so I try to correct them or give them my middle name. undecided
But this ghetto kids, esp the chicks, they be all up in people's face when you mispronounce their name.
How da hell am I suppose to say it correctly when I'm not ghetto.
Happened to me before, got to the point of me telling her to chill, that she needs to understand that I'm not ghetto. I think that got her more angry.

Am still cracking up on those names the poster mentioned. What a joke!! cheesy cheesy
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by Nobody: 4:32am On Jan 21, 2009
onyinye2:

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaarup!!! cool
What is the point of all this? For us to consider giving these made up names to our own children? I mean what??

Not exactly, I just think we should discard the premise that these names are "ghetto".  Like I said, they represent a unique aspect of the black urban culture.
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by osisi2(f): 4:35am On Jan 21, 2009
kalokalo:

Not exactly, I just think we should discard the premise that these names are "ghetto".  Like I said, they represent a unique aspect of the black urban culture.

what else are they?
who else gives precious babies meaningless concoctions that only sound sane to the giver.
That's child abuse abeg
I wish your name was Quadrilateral or Quadratus
and those have meaning o
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by Nobody: 4:46am On Jan 21, 2009
**osisi:

what else are they?
who else gives precious babies meaningless concoctions that only sound sane to the giver.
That's child abuse abeg
and those have meaning o

A lot of "mainstream" names are meaningless too. Pray tell, what are the meanings of names like Megan, Vanessa, Chrissy, Laura, Cate, Dwight?? We don't condemn these names and they don't carry negative connotations.
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by osisi2(f): 4:53am On Jan 21, 2009
kalokalo:

A lot of "mainstream" names are meaningless too. Pray tell, what are the meanings of names like Megan, Vanessa, Chrissy, Laura, Cate, Dwight?? We don't condemn these names and they don't carry negative connotations.

MEGAN
Origin: Greek
Meaning: A Pearl
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by osisi2(f): 4:56am On Jan 21, 2009
kalokalo:

LAURA
Origin: Latin
Meaning: Laurel-Crowned
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by osisi2(f): 4:59am On Jan 21, 2009
kalokalo:

The boy's name Dwight \dwi(g)-ht\ is pronounced Rhymes with light. It is of Flemish origin, and its meaning is "white or blond".
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by chamotex(m): 5:01am On Jan 21, 2009
Vanessa - Butterfly
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by osisi2(f): 5:02am On Jan 21, 2009
and cate is a variant of catherine meaning pure,origin Greek

The girl's name Chrissy \ch-rissy, chr(is)-sy\ is a variant of Christina (Latin) and Christy (English), and the meaning of Chrissy is "anointed, Christian
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by osisi2(f): 5:06am On Jan 21, 2009
now kolakalo,what is Chankrisha?
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by osisi2(f): 5:12am On Jan 21, 2009
SHANIQUA
Sorry . . .

We have no
information
on this name

http://www.zelo.com/firstnames/findresults.asp?name=Shaniqua
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by Nobody: 5:14am On Jan 21, 2009
**osisi:

now kolakalo,what is Chankrisha?

Well I don't know, but it rhymes with Krishna, an Hindu name!
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by girl22(f): 6:36am On Jan 21, 2009
**osisi:

what else are they?
That's child abuse abeg
and those have meaning o

how can black names have meaning when they were robbed of african culture? where is the meaning of the name going to come from? americans do not give meaning to their children's names. that is not american culture to name your child with a name that has a meaning. white americans names only have meaning when its origins is from europe.

and african names sound just as weird to black americans as those ghetto names sounds to africans.

think some damn times

2 Likes

Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by blackspade(m): 6:43am On Jan 21, 2009
hahaha.

I don't have a personal problems with names like "Marqueesha", "Tequan", "Obamaneesha", ect. . , but I think the parents should think more about naming their babies like this.

The reason is because I've heard from others that employers immediately raise a red flag when seeing these type of names on job applications. I wouldn't risk it.

Funny to read though. I'll never understand the inspiration for these names by AA's. . . grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 / History Of Ebira People: Outspoken, Talented And Hardworking People / List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.