Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,894 members, 7,810,436 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) (14231 Views)

Quit Secret Societies - Oluwo Of Iwoland, Akanbi Tells Yoruba Monarchs / Abdulfatai Coker: Yoruba Monarchs In North Not Accorded Respect / See Ranking Of Obas In Yorubaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Ctorch: 5:24pm On Aug 25, 2020
The ranking of kings or Obas in Yoruba land is a topic that has caused series of controversies as to who is the most powerful Yoruba King in Nigeria between the Ooni and the Alaafin of Oyo.
In a report, the Alake of Egbaland, Oba Adedotun Gbadebo, declared the answer to that question, that the Ooni of Ife remains the number one monarch in Yoruba land and should be given the honour as the number one paramount ruler in the Yoruba culture.

There are many Obas in Yoruba land ruling various Kingdoms, towns and even villages. For instance, the Olubadan of Ibadan is the traditional ruler of Ibadan, the Oba of Lagos is seen as a first class king but rules in Lagos, and so on. These respected monarchs are often seen as custodians of the Yoruba culture and people, and represent the gods.

This post will list the ranking of first class traditional rulers in the Yoruba Empire as listed by the Alake of Egbaland. He identified ego and pride as the sole reason behind the disunity among Yoruba traditional rulers and people in Yoruba land, and called for peace for the progress of the Yoruba speaking people.

Below is a list of the ranking of five principal monarchs in Yoruba land according to their order of superiority.

1. Ooni of Ife

The Ooni of Ife is the most powerful king in Yoruba land. The current Ooni of Ife is Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi . According to the Alake of Egbaland, the Ooni is the first of the five principal Obas in Yorubaland just like the Sultan of Sokoto is the highest ruler in the northern part of Nigeria. This is because his supremacy dates back to the origin of the Yoruba tribe. He is also one of the most influential figures in Nigeria and he recently married Queen Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi, a prophetess.

2. Alaafin of Oyo
He is the second in line in the ranking of Yoruba monarchs in Nigeria, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III was born 15 August 1938 and he is the current Alaafin, or traditional ruler, of the Yoruba state of Oyo and righful heir to the throne of its historic empire. His dynasty dates back to the old Oyo empire which recognizes him as the emperor of the Oyo empire. He is among the list of the richest Yoruba king in Nigeria

3. Oba of Benin
Some say that the Oba of Benin, or Omo N’Oba, is the highest traditional ruler in Nigeria as he wields influence over the Edo people and is a popular figure in Nigeria. He heads the historic Eweka dynasty of the Great Benin Empire. It is also said that the Yorubas in Nigeria descended from the Benin people, hence the tittle Oba is being used to mean a king. The title of Oba was first created by Oba Eweka I, Benin Empire’s first ‘Oba’, who ascended power between 1180 and 1300. His son, grandson and now his great-grandson, Ewuare II were traditional rulers of Benin in modern-day Nigeria.

4. Alake of Egbaland
Fourth on the list of ranking of obas in Yorubaland is the Alake of Egbaland . He is the paramount Yoruba king of Egba, a city in Abeokuta, Ogun State, southwestern Nigeria. Egba consists of Egba Alake, Owu kingdom rule by the Olowu of Owu Kingdom, Oke-Ona and Gbagura. He was the one who cleared the air concerning how the monarchs in Yoruba land should be ranked starting from the Ooni of Ife to the Awujale of Ijebuland.

5. Awujale of Ijebuland
He is the least on the list of 5 powerful obas in Yoruba land. His kingdom, Ijebu (also known as Jebu or Geebu) was a Yoruba kingdom in pre-colonial Nigeria. It was formed around the fifteenth century. According to legend, its ruling dynasty was founded by Obanta of Ile-Ife. The current Awujale of Ijebuland is Sikiru Kayode Adetona.

There is a recent tussle as to who is superior between the Oba of Lagos and the Ooni of ife (Yoruba Emperor). This should not be so as history backs the Ooni as the most superior paramount ruler of the Yoruba speaking people.

Credit: NigeriaInfopedia

1 Like

Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Baawaa(m): 5:31pm On Aug 25, 2020
Kings of their palaces
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by EzeYezzuz: 5:33pm On Aug 25, 2020
God bless my motherland!

God bless Yoruba

God bless igbo

God bless others grin grin angry

2 Likes

Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by dlaw70(m): 5:37pm On Aug 25, 2020
Kpash ! which day Beni become Yoruba state?
med o!

When Oba of Lagos start struggling for supremacy with any Oba in Yoruba land then u should remember the saying that,he who the gods wants to kee,they first make mad.

If my little knowledge of history serves me right ,then the lagoon Oba should go and sleep.

med o !

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Iamgrey5(m): 5:41pm On Aug 25, 2020
Oba of Bini is an igbo Oba please like Obi Onitsha

The Bini people of five local government areas do not have anything to do with the Yorubas

He has nothing whatsoever to do with Yorubas.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 25, 2020
I have consistently said that Benin Oba is always aligned with yoruba obas.
the post says it all.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by politicsng: 5:51pm On Aug 25, 2020
You purposely created this thread to cause wahala

1 Like

Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 25, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Oba of Bini is an igbo Oba please

The Bini people of five local government should not have anything to do with Yorubas.

He has nothing whatsoever to do with Yorubas.

Just shut it.

This is about oba ranking in yorubaland.

Is benin no longer part of expansive yoruba kingdom.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Iamgrey5(m): 6:04pm On Aug 25, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Just shut it.

This is about oba ranking in yorubaland.

Is benin no longer part of expansive yoruba kingdom.

Binis are igbos with strong Igbo blood.

Even Bini themselves say Obaseki great grand parents are Igbos from Anioma region of today's Delta state.

Bini is igbo and igbo is Bin

Yorubas have no relationship with those people

2 Likes

Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Nobody: 6:26pm On Aug 25, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Binis are igbos with strong Igbo blood.

Even Bini themselves say Obaseki great grand parents are Igbos from Anioma region of today's Delta state.

Bini is igbo and igbo is Bin

Yorubas have no relationship with those people

You should know all these things are just made up.
Moniker like Areafada2 shouldn't be trusted.

he is good at making wide claims...

I don't see anything wrong in the ranking...is all about brotherhood.

1 Like

Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Vyzz: 6:43pm On Aug 25, 2020
cool
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by AreaFada2: 7:24pm On Aug 25, 2020
Their madness don start again. Who let these people out of Aro?

I rank highly only the following Obas after Oba of Benin: Oba of Lagos, Olowo of Owo, Olu of Warri, Obi of Agbor and Obi of Onitsha,

I respect Alaafin for representing a former Empire just like Benin and the Awujale for respecting himself and not talking anyhow. Then the Olugbo for exposing liars on Oduduwa.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Iamgrey5(m): 7:29pm On Aug 25, 2020
AreaFada2:

I rank highly only the following Obas after Oba of Benin: Oba of Lagos, Olowo of Owo, Olu of Wari, Obi of Agbor and Obi of Onitsha,

I respect Alaafin for representing a former Empire just like Benin and the Awujale for respecting himself and not talking anyhow. Then the Ologbo for exposing liars on Oduduwa.
@ what nonsense did Olugbo exposed?

Please stop putting mouth in Yoruba's affairs, we have nothing to do with you people or your five local government areas.

We see you all as igbos and don't really care about your existence.

Put your mouth out of Anything that has to do with Southwest or Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 25, 2020
AreaFada2:

I rank highly only the following Obas after Oba of Benin: Oba of Lagos, Olowo of Owo, Olu of Wari, Obi of Agbor and Obi of Onitsha,

I respect Alaafin for representing a former Empire just like Benin and the Awujale for respecting himself and not talking anyhow. Then the Ologbo for exposing liars on Oduduwa.

What is your issue?

What concerns Obi of onitsha even Agbor in ranking of Yoruba monarchs..

Check the topic again....it says yoruba monarchs.
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Iamgrey5(m): 7:41pm On Aug 25, 2020
MelesZenawi:

What is your issue?

What concerns Obi of onitsha even Agbor in ranking of Yoruba monarchs..

Check the topic again....it says yoruba monarchs.
He is saying that Binis are igbo and igbo are Binis
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 25, 2020
Iamgrey5:
He is saying that Binis are igbo and igbo are Binis

Where did he say that?
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by AreaFada2: 8:02pm On Aug 25, 2020
Iamgrey5:
@ what nonsense did Olugbo exposed?

Please stop putting mouth in Yoruba's affairs, we have nothing to do with you people or your five local government areas.

We see you all as igbos and don't really care about your existence.

Put your mouth out of Anything that has to do with Southwest or Yorubas.

What is your pedigree in Yorubaland? Who are you in Yorubaland? I challenge you.

I should be telling you to shoosh over Yoruba matter. shocked shocked
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Iamgrey5(m): 8:07pm On Aug 25, 2020
AreaFada2:

What is your pedigree in Yorubaland? Who are you in Yorubaland? I challenge you.

I should be telling you to shoosh over Yoruba matter. shocked shocked

My family is well known in Yoruba land

My grandma is the first educated Iyalode of Ibadan and first woman to be a senator in Nigeria

I am from a family of balogun in ibadan that chased your ancestors out of Ekiti and Ondo.

Now who the hell are you in your Five local government area of Bini people ?

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Bkayyy: 8:54pm On Aug 25, 2020
I don't care what the people of Benin call themselves these days, as for the rankings of yoruba Obas, the Oba of Benin is rightfully represent. The first Oba of Benin, Oba Eweka I is the son of Oranmiyan (who is inturn the grandson of oduduwa) and the daughter of the enogie of egor. Oranmiyan captured what was then Igodomigodo from the people of Idu (a war know as agha Oba na Idu in Igbo land) for the throne of Ife and due to the difficulty to govern the people of Igodomigodo, called the land ile ibinu (land of vexation) which is what we know as Benin today.
So Benin is an extension of the Yoruba state

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Nobody: 9:24pm On Aug 25, 2020
Iamgrey5:

My grand ma is the first educated Iyalode of Ibadan and first woman to be a senator in Nigeria

I am from a family of balogun in ibadan that chased your ancestors out of Ekiti and Ondo.

Are you not tired of this line of statement.
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 25, 2020
Bkayyy:
I don't care what the people of Benin call themselves these days, as for the rankings of yoruba Obas, the Oba of Benin is rightfully represent. The first Oba of Benin, Oba Eweka I is the son of Oranmiyan (who is inturn the grandson of oduduwa) and the daughter of the enogie of egor. Oranmiyan captured what was then Igodomigodo from the people of Idu (a war know as agha Oba na Idu in Igbo land) for the throne of Ife and due to the difficulty to govern the people of Igodomigodo, called the land ile ibinu (land of vexation) which is what we know as Benin today.
So Benin is an extension of the Yoruba state
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by AreaFada2: 9:29pm On Aug 25, 2020
Iamgrey5:

My grand ma is the first educated Iyalode of Ibadan and first woman to be a senator in Nigeria

So you are a mere commoner and from a family of chief of a minor monarch in Yorubaland. grin cheesy

No wonder. I am not even your mate in Yorubaland. If you are a baby on Nairaland, go through my posts over the years on NL. I have fully narrated my pedigree in Yorubaland.

Otherwise you would think I am just making it up now.
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Iamgrey5(m): 9:32pm On Aug 25, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Are you not tired of this line of statement.
Am I lying ?
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Iamgrey5(m): 9:33pm On Aug 25, 2020
AreaFada2:

So you are a mere commoner and from a family of chief of a minor monarch in Yorubaland. grin cheesy

No wonder. I am not even your mate in Yorubaland. If you are a baby on Nairaland, go through my posts over the years on NL. I have fully narrated my pedigree in Yorubaland.

Otherwise you would think I am just making it up now.
Tell us who your family is in Yoruba land?

You are not even known in your village talkless of Edo state cheesy

Who the hell are you in Yoruba land ?
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Nobody: 9:34pm On Aug 25, 2020
There was a time I used to defend Bini that many thinks I am Bini but overtime I discovered they are revisionist and not good people..

They distort history alot and politically we are way apart. People like Areafada2 and one Greg plus ghost are not that nice but revisionist.

They recently have one facebook page termed Great Benin that their main subject is always Igbo and biafra...can you imagine such bile oozing from there...I accidentally stumbled on the page one day..

So in essence and from all angles binis are yorubas and vice versa because historically, socially, culturally and politically both are same.
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 25, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Am I lying ?

How do I know?
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Iamgrey5(m): 9:37pm On Aug 25, 2020
MelesZenawi:
There was a time I used to defend Bini that many thinks I am Bini but overtime I discovered they are revisionist and not good people..

They distort history alot and politically we are way apart. People like Areafada2 and one Greg plus ghost are not that nice but revisionist.

They recently have one face page termed Great Benin that their main subject is always Igbo and biafra...can you imagine such bile oozing from there...I accidentally stumbled on the page one day..

So in essence and from all angles binis are yorubas and vice versa because historically, socially, culturally and politically both are same

@ emboldened

We have nothing in common with those people that think too much of themselves

A kingdom of three to four local government areas cheesy

1 Like

Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Iamgrey5(m): 9:38pm On Aug 25, 2020
MelesZenawi:

How do I know?

Those that know me know my surname and google is your friend regarding the first woman to be a senator in Nigeria.

While you are at it, you can also google the first woman to be a professor of Law.
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by AreaFada2: 9:39pm On Aug 25, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Tell us who your family is in Yoruba land?

You are not even known in your village talkless of Edo state cheesy

Who the hell are you in Yoruba land ?
Go through my old thread. Including history with SLK and Awolowo political crisis and the mess resulting from it.

I have written all here b4. I am not going to do roforofo with a person of your low status.
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Iamgrey5(m): 9:41pm On Aug 25, 2020
AreaFada2:

Go through my old thread. Including history with SLK and Awolowo political crisis and the mess resulting from it.

I have written all here b4. I am not going to do roforofo with a person of you low status.
Going through history of Awolowo?

Who do you think Nominated the first woman to be a senator in Nigeria? cheesy

You must think you are talking to one of those people on Nairaland?
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 25, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Those that know me know my surname and google is your friend regarding the first woman to be a senator in Nigeria.

While you are at it, you can also google the first woman to be a professor of Law.

Is it a crime for you to call the name of the senator?

Must it be google issue?
Re: List Of Obas In Yoruba Land (ranking Of Yoruba Monarchs) by AreaFada2: 9:43pm On Aug 25, 2020
Iamgrey5:
@ emboldened

We have nothing in common with those people that think too much of themselves

A kingdom of three to four local government areas cheesy
Lol. A commoner (possibly from Middle Belt originally) quoting a man obsessed with Benin. grin grin wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ivory Coast Got Some Good Music / Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. / Moremi Ajasoro: Who Is Olugbo To Deserve A Response?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.