Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,787 members, 7,817,262 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time (33256 Views)

Images You Would Relate To If You Grew Up Shy In A Nigerian Institution. / Nigerian Institution With The Highest Yahoo Boys / JAMB 2016 Change Of Course/institution Is Ongoing, Click Here To Apply (N3,000) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Kelvin3028(m): 6:51pm On May 03, 2015
Says who?
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by LAX89(m): 6:54pm On May 03, 2015
KillerBeauty:
Some of your points are valid others not so much.
Each country tailor their curriculum to their own needs. We shouldn't compare the years spend in school between countries. The british spend 3 yrs in universities because it suits them while Americans spend 4. Each country have their own reason for doing so.

Your number 3 point, not so valid. Its not called 'jack of all trade' I think the right term is flexibility. The world we live in is very vast and we can't be rigid living in it. That's why the curriculum infuses so many aspect into the university program, students need to know what going on in other areas outside their major courses. Most times these are areas students wouldn't normally look into. Like for example in my year one in school, I did a GST course in science and technology where some engineering principle where explained. I'm an art major with no business in engineering, but my studying of that course broadened my mind.

Spent

Instead of the OP worrying about duration, he/she should worry about QUALITY!

5 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by blank(f): 6:57pm On May 03, 2015
@OP, your first year courses are equivalent of A levels. That's why people with pre degrees, A levels come in with direct entry into 2nd year. 4 years is very fair for a degree.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Aroh48(m): 6:57pm On May 03, 2015
Above all,there is no job.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by rman: 6:58pm On May 03, 2015
It depends on the course of study.

I still think Medicine, Engineering requires 6yrs and 5yrs respectively.

Courses like Business Administration, Finance shouldn't take more than 3yrs max

3 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by hammedkola(m): 6:59pm On May 03, 2015
This is true... Either you school or not, all you need is God's blessing in whatever you do. I know of First class physics student since 2008, no job till now, I am a living witness, no certificate yet (due to many set backs, thank God all is cleared now), but I am going places n getting paid enough with the self-acquired skill I honed. In a nutshell, going to school isn't the main thing but knowing what you are doing and be more prayerful about it.

It is man's place to pray but God's place to answer! cool

10 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Idrismusty97(m): 7:01pm On May 03, 2015
As if that isn't wasteful enough all Federal Universities of Technology(FUT) in Nigeria spend five years. Very soon we will have ten years bachelor degree programs in Nigeria! Na we like school pass angry

3 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by OlowoB(m): 7:02pm On May 03, 2015
I happen to live in the UK currently and I kind of agree with some points of the op. I think the teaching system in Nigeria is flawed and needs to be looked at. Many irrelevant courses are been thought for too long.

I have a cousin who studies Admin and IT here in Glasgow college (similar to a polytechnic) and you need to see the courses been thought as it deals with real life situations that affect them.

Their exams / assessment involves them been giving a case study of an existing real life solution for which they have to find a solution for.

Can the same be said for ND students in naija polytechnics? What is the course content like?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Idrismusty97(m): 7:06pm On May 03, 2015
blank:
@OP, your first year courses are equivalent of A levels. That's why people with pre degrees, A levels come in with direct entry into 2nd year. 4 years is very fair for a degree.
Except for IJMB people with Predegrees are still admitted into 100lv and most of the time still required by the school to sit for JAMB again. Pre Degree is just a pure waste.

3 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 03, 2015
Lero15:
@ killerbeauty, u are making good points too. UK and USA tailor their curriculum to their own needs... Agreed. But are you sure we actually know our own needs or have our reasons? Not sure here. You can spend 4-years in the USA, OK. But it's hard to keep up with that same 4 years in Nigeria, not to mention the level of exposure and advancement.

I think that Jack of all trade is very valid o. I did a 5-year course. I got *exposed* into my department in 300 level. Flexibility is good. GNS, GSE, et al are relevant. Doing All courses for more than a year or every year in the name of flexibility is what is not relevant.

Thanks for your contribution smiley

I think you've both made really good points. Flexibility and versatility are very important, but when a student is taking completely unnecessary courses just to stay in school, then it becomes a problem.

I think we need a complete overhaul, re-evaluation and cleansing of our educational system. We're still using the same theoretical method of teaching our forefathers and the missionaries used.

6 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Seriallinks(m): 7:08pm On May 03, 2015
ednut1:
in uk they do 2 years a level. nd 3 years uni. dats 5 years. Nigeria is allergic to change. make we jst dey look. our syllabus sucks. there arr some courses dat are jst repetition

UTME hard pass UK A-Levels abeg! So na still High School things e be! grin

That's why with 9ja O-Levels you can enroll directly into 1st year in any UK Uni. no need for A-Levels! Most of their BSc and BA courses are last for only 3 years! Only professional courses like BEngr, Medicine, B.Pharm etc last longer!

And there is no strike; same with India and most Asian Countries!
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 7:09pm On May 03, 2015
OlowoB:
I happen to live in the UK currently and I kind of agree with some points of the op. I think the teaching system in Nigeria is flawed and needs to be looked at. Many irrelevant courses are been thought for too long.

I have a cousin who studies Admin and IT here in Glasgow college (similar to a polytechnic) and you need to see the courses been thought as it deals with real life situations that affect them.

Their exams / assessment involves them been giving a case study of an existing real life solution for which they have to find a solution for.

Can the same be said for ND students in naija polytechnics? What is the course content like?

True. We spend too much time on trivial things like definitions rather than real-world applications.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Bollinger(m): 7:10pm On May 03, 2015
Lero15:
We have so many higher institutions in Nigeria now….and the number increases almost every year. This is good, but studying a course for 4 years and above, especially most non-professional courses is what bothers me. PS: I am not advising or discouraging anyone to go abroad to study.
Here are my reasons:
1. Other countries: Top countries especially in Asia and Europe, even in Africa don’t use up to 4 years for a degree. Within 5 years or less, one can have his first Degree and Masters abroad. Our polytechnics don’t make things easy these days…after OND, one year of industrial attachment (most people now do theirs in their homes…no placement) you still do “post UME” for HND admission in the same school!

2. You may not practice: Now this is rampant in Nigeria…blame it on economic condition, peer pressure, parent’s will over yours and so on. So many undergraduates are studying that particular course because that is what the school “wants” for them. So, their mindset is “let me just finish this course and find better things to do with my life”. I have two medical doctor friends, one has dropped his stethoscope for the financial sector, the other one is practicing but says he will divert soon…AFTER SEVEN YEARS?!!!

3. Jack of all Trade: One of the major reasons why it takes us donkey years to get a degree in Nigeria is this!!! Your first year in school, you do all irrelevant courses. You will probably do your main specialty in your semi-finals or final year. This is a big time-waster. Why not face your course and get better with it. Jack of all trade, master of none.

4. Graduate Trainee Jobs: If you think you are studying a course that is not marketable in Nigeria, don’t worry much. As long as you are young and you have good grades, you will be fine. Big companies, most especially in the financial sector, oil and gas, and foods and manufacturing firms train their new intakes for weeks or months. Your job roles may not be relevant with your course of study, though.
Then why spend 4/5 years when u will still be trained?

5. ALMIGHTY STRIKE : Some courses slated for 4 years will turn to 7 years…no thanks to endless strikes. Chaos in school, government owing lecturers, etc… This is so appalling. Coupled with the fact that you will still serve the nation for a year, that makes it 8. That wouldn’t be nice if you started school in your twenties, would it?

This may sound subjective, but the truth be told. Spending so many years for a course is not a good sign for a developing country like Nigeria. Some lecturers just give you the same old note they used during their tenure in school. If the number of years cannot be altered, then let the educational sector be improved. There is so much “La cram La Pour” in Nigerian schools today.

As it applies in America.

Point 1. 4 years is the norm in America

Point 2. I know 5 people who studied General Studies and work in occupations that range from banking to hotel management.

Point 3. It's called common core.

Point 4. You spend 4/5 years in order for your would be employer to be sure you can be trained. They need to know you have the foundation.

1 Like

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by ednut1(m): 7:12pm On May 03, 2015
Seriallinks:

UTME hard pass UK A-Levels abeg! So na still High School things e be! grin

That's why with 9ja O-Levels you can enroll directly into 1st year in any UK Uni. no need of A-Levels! Most of their BSc and BA courses are last for only 3 years! Only professional courses like BEngr, Medicine, B.Pharm etc last longer!

And there is no strike; same with India and most Asian Countries!
is utme a course ? if u use o levels to enter uk uni. u wud start wit a year foundation before proceeding to d 3 year course

3 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by kalufelix(m): 7:12pm On May 03, 2015
Op u re very correct.. I like to think of it as a SCAM not even waste of time
What annoys me most is 9ja youths be bragging like..
DON'T YOU KNOW AM A GRADUATE
A WHOLE GRADUATE LIKE ME.. lol
When 2/3 of them can't express themselves in the simplest of tenses..
This country na big joke walai...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by bqlekan(m): 7:13pm On May 03, 2015
you've gat good points OP, buh its a bit too harsh to judge those years as a waste.. our institutions are only preparing us for what to face in the outside world, so i wont call the year one courses irrelevant.. recently, our government scrapped biology as as a general subject, now i have siblings who know nothing bou the way their body works, why they grow hairs on some of their body parts.. m sure you dont want that for graduates out there.. m an industrial chemist and i wont look like a fool in the midst of plant biologists, a zoologists etc.. and yes, m a better by far graduate n i know nothing bou strike..
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by croSStodds(m): 7:19pm On May 03, 2015
rumomonga:
undecided I spent 8
Humm,rumour-monger indeed.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by blank(f): 7:21pm On May 03, 2015
Idrismusty97:
Except for IJMB people with Predegrees are still admitted into 100lv and most of the time still required by the school to sit for JAMB again. Pre Degree is just a pure waste.

Sorry, my bad. Thought they did.

1 Like

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by martineverest(m): 7:22pm On May 03, 2015
I studied mechanical engineering;sometimes,when i see chemical/computer engineering students offering mechanical drawing or civil eng, studnt offering chemical courses etc,i smh......seriously,our syllabus has to be filtered.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Seriallinks(m): 7:22pm On May 03, 2015
ednut1:
is utme a course ? if u use o levels to enter uk uni. u wud start wit a year foundation before proceeding to d 3 year course

I know UTME isn't a course; I was only comparing their standards. A-Level is kind of like 9ja IJMB which is only 9 months in Nigerian Schools (After which you can use it for 200L direct entry into 9ja Univs) compared to the 2 years in the UK.

Foundation after enrollment with 9ja O-levels? Hell, no!! It depends on your course of study though; and also if you don't have good IELTS or TOEFL scores you might be required to enroll for English Language Foundation Course! That's all!
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by fio(m): 7:25pm On May 03, 2015
I think your forth point is the main point. I am less concerned about the number of years as the quality of education; its not how far but how well. Most graduate cannot connect school material with reality not to talk of its application, I think that's the reason behind the "graduate training" . Then why spend so many years in school when you have such program, which seems to be the main thing here; its application.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 7:26pm On May 03, 2015
The sad part is spending 4years+ learning nothing. An apotheosis would be as in the case of some of our engineering graduates. After spending 5 years, majority still won't be able to apply knowledge acquired during undergraduate study to real life situations. What's the point then if you ask me? Majority even end up not practising. Afterall "passion" won't pay the bills so I really do not blame them.

Until we get it right, Until the government does something substantial & enduring about the educational sector, Until our leaders stop sending their kids abroad to school & see for themselves what it is like to school here in Nigeria, the
re won't be any progressive change.

Nice write-up Lero15.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 7:30pm On May 03, 2015
martineverest:
I studied mechanical engineering;sometimes,when i see chemical/computer engineering students offering mechanical drawing or civil eng, studnt offering chemical courses etc,i smh......seriously,our syllabus has to be filtered.

Students "borrowing" courses from other departments isn't so much of a big deal if you ask me. It helps in inculcating that flexibility and versatility needed to thrive in the stultifying and competitive Nigerian job market.

But the question is: Are we really learning anything?

3 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Remii(m): 7:30pm On May 03, 2015
degree is still 3 yrs for Humanities/ Sciences and 4 yrs for Engineering. the first year is actually prelim, which is a shortened form of A levels, same as foundation courses.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 7:31pm On May 03, 2015
KillerBeauty:
Some of your points are valid others not so much.
Each country tailor their curriculum to their own needs. We shouldn't compare the years spend in school between countries. The british spend 3 yrs in universities because it suits them while Americans spend 4. Each country have their own reason for doing so. I'm an art major with no business in engineering, but my studying of that course broadened my mind.
U like giving yourself headaches! I took Pascal programing in 300level; I still can't fathom any reason why I should be forced to take it.

2 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 7:36pm On May 03, 2015
In Nigeria most students read only to pass their exams.

5 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 7:37pm On May 03, 2015
bqlekan:
you've gat good points OP, buh its a bit too harsh to judge those years as a waste.. our institutions are only preparing us for what to face in the outside world, so i wont call the year one courses irrelevant.. recently, our government scrapped biology as as a general subject, now i have siblings who know nothing bou the way their body works, why they grow hairs on some of their body parts.. m sure you dont want that for graduates out there.. m an industrial chemist and i wont look like a fool in the midst of plant biologists, a zoologists etc.. and yes, m a better by far graduate n i know nothing bou strike..
People like you are part of the problem too. What do you mean by "buh, m, n, bou" and all those unpunctuated words you wrote up there? Are they English terms? We are complaining about the education system in our country and you are here writing as if you are Tonto Dikeh.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by cococandy(f): 7:37pm On May 03, 2015
Sadly I agree.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by illiad: 7:38pm On May 03, 2015
A standard course ought not exceed 3yrs

2 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Irritant: 7:39pm On May 03, 2015
I am 40, I wan go learn work because of this cool
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by croSStodds(m): 7:42pm On May 03, 2015
Hmm!I concur with what OP indicted to a reasonable extent.imagine a biochemistry student in OAU offering maths and physics in d second year with only 2 more years to spend in school.it's biochemistry,not biotechnology.meticulously looking at this,it's devoid of any iota of sense.in the same vein,students of microbiology substantially start doing their MCB in d 3rd year with only a more year to spend in school.it's perspicuously ostensible this evidently implies the previous years are nothing but a complete rejectamenta.our educational sector needs to be ameliorated.ipso facto,d gargantuan greed of our circumstantial leaders exacerbates more the situation.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Declares French Compulsory For All Students / Cheapest Universities And Polytechnics In Nigeria / Kano Student Sets Himself On Fire Over Inability To Pay NECO Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.