Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,570 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time (33220 Views)

Images You Would Relate To If You Grew Up Shy In A Nigerian Institution. / Nigerian Institution With The Highest Yahoo Boys / JAMB 2016 Change Of Course/institution Is Ongoing, Click Here To Apply (N3,000) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 11:17pm On May 03, 2015
KillerBeauty:
Some of your points are valid others not so much.
Each country tailor their curriculum to their own needs. We shouldn't compare the years spend in school between countries. The british spend 3 yrs in universities because it suits them while Americans spend 4. Each country have their own reason for doing so.

Your number 3 point, not so valid. Its not called 'jack of all trade' I think the right term is flexibility. The world we live in is very vast and we can't be rigid living in it. That's why the curriculum infuses so many aspect into the university program, students need to know what going on in other areas outside their major courses. Most times these are areas students wouldn't normally look into. Like for example in my year one in school, I did a GST course in science and technology where some engineering principle where explained. I'm an art major with no business in engineering, but my studying of that course broadened my mind.
the op made some valid points.our dean told us thats from 300 level we started learning mech engineering.the problem lies in our secondary schools the hardly include vitals such as engine drawing calculus etcetera in their curriculum. hence we spend an unnecessary 2 years catching up.

1 Like

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by dawtune(m): 11:46pm On May 03, 2015
croSStodds:
Hmm!I concur with what OP indicted to a reasonable extent.imagine a biochemistry student in OAU offering maths and physics in d second year with only 2 more years to spend in school.it's biochemistry,not biotechnology.meticulously looking at this,it's devoid of any iota of sense.in the same vein,students of microbiology substantially start doing their MCB in d 3rd year with only a more year to spend in school.it's perspicuously ostensible this evidently implies the previous years are nothing but a complete rejectamenta.our educational sector needs to be ameliorated.ipso facto,d gargantuan greed of our circumstantial leaders exacerbates more the situation.
Take it easy sir!

1 Like

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by swapT(m): 11:49pm On May 03, 2015
[color=#990000][/color]. Unfortunately for some Imsu students who are supposed to be currently busy with their industrial training,300 and 400 level students....they have been left in the lurch not knowing which way to go..... They have been given flimsy excuses that log book required for evidence of any IT students in order to be accepted for the IT in designated IT centres has finished and should keep waiting till they let away the lazy manner in which they have kept on handling the issue......I don't really know how most of us will finally do a 6months IT when already 1 full month is gone with nothing to show....most unfortunate of all the companies don't believe you without seeing your school letter......SOS!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Bluffly: 11:50pm On May 03, 2015
Lero15:
@ killerbeauty, u are making good points too. UK and USA tailor their curriculum to their own needs... Agreed. But are you sure we actually know our own needs or have our reasons? Not sure here. You can spend 4-years in the USA, OK. But it's hard to keep up with that same 4 years in Nigeria, not to mention the level of exposure and advancement.

I think that Jack of all trade is very valid o. I did a 5-year course. I got *exposed* into my department in 300 level. Flexibility is good. GNS, GSE, et al are relevant. Doing All courses for more than a year or every year in the name of flexibility is what is not relevant.

Thanks for your contribution smiley
Jack of all trade is invalid. Only your first year takes you across the board from second year, you start yo have your cores and optionals which could be either directly related or cutting across again.
What I would say is that our institution faculties still leave in the stone age, no practicals, no real work expetience even in a simulative form.
Our faculty team carried out no realistic research that could turn round the nations beating positively.

I must also say that graduates of most world class universities do not also get to practice what they've learnt
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Anthrophile(m): 2:48am On May 04, 2015
the import of higher learning cannot be felt until you compare yourself to O' level or ND certificate holder; your approach, intellect, packaging and opportunities will differ. Though completing a 4 to 7-year course may not necessarily translate to earning more money, a schooled mind is an inestimable asset to you and your children.

2 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by AreaFada2: 2:57am On May 04, 2015
From my experience as a student in Europe, your course is tailored towards real life relevance.

In many professional courses, problem based learning (PBL) is now the norm.

You learn using case studies that actually occured in a hospital, pharmacy, dental clinic, GP surgery, medical lab etc.

Things you will have to deal with daily as a nurse, dokita grin, dentist, physiotherapist etc. Even when doing theory.

I'm sure PBL can equally be applied to engineering, computer Science, architecture if not already the case.

I think in 9ja, we may have to streamline the curriculum and make some of those irrelevant course units elective. As a way of broadening universal education according to individual interests. It will save cost and time and focus students better.

2 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Wumz(f): 3:32am On May 04, 2015
It's not so much the length of study that matters but the quality. The quality of higher education in Nigeria is what they discussion needs to be focused on.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 4:23am On May 04, 2015
Are u kidding me? Your friend dumped high-earned degree like Medicine and diverted into the financial sector. Pls tell him to go back ASAP!
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by croSStodds(m): 6:50am On May 04, 2015
dawtune:
Take it easy sir!
OK sir!
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by butanep(m): 7:50am On May 04, 2015
KillerBeauty:
Yes I did
I though as much.... With your write up, I knew you are a product of Uniben.

When I saw GST in philosophy of science and technology. I knew that can only come from a unibite.

I graduated from Uniben, department of Geology...nice meeting one of my own.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by adeptniyi(m): 11:11am On May 04, 2015
The joy of it is that a degree is attainable in 18months less than 2 years from up to 90 UK universities and lot more across the globe, from the comfort of my home and office.
That's the future of education since its becoming a small world already hijacked by sophisticated technological inventions
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by knackz(m): 11:39am On May 04, 2015
during my survey camp in my 200 level back then at school, our co-ordinator told us that as far as survey is concern, we have give you what is relevant in survey in respect to nigeria labour market, but as for the 3years after is you to acquire ur B.Tech.
This is a traning of one month in a bush and das was is puting ma delicious meal on the table.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by kayceemadu9(f): 12:53pm On May 04, 2015
The Nigerian system of learning especially in our so called "Federal"universities is so appalling. I'm a 300 level microbiology student and I can attest to the fact that we are being taught crap...In our department, we've only been given the opportunity to handle a microscope once...Lecturers write handouts,photocopy them.in hundreds and make us buy the blurred copies..When in class, they just read notes, and you write and cram and give it back to them on exam day...If your answer is different from the answers in the handout but similar,then you've failed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by nairabetguru(m): 4:48pm On May 04, 2015
“La cram La Pour”
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Lero15(m): 6:49pm On May 04, 2015
Bluffly:

Jack of all trade is invalid. Only your first year takes you across the board from second year, you start yo have your cores and optionals which could be either directly related or cutting across again.
What I would say is that our institution faculties still leave in the stone age, no practicals, no real work expetience even in a simulative form.
Our faculty team carried out no realistic research that could turn round the nations beating positively.

I must also say that graduates of most world class universities do not also get to practice what they've learnt
Only in first year? No no.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Lero15(m): 6:56pm On May 04, 2015
Intendy:
why YOU come come go the school?
supposedly to acquire knowledge in a great learning environment
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Lero15(m): 7:05pm On May 04, 2015
LAX89:

Which one do you consider MORE important, QUALITY or DURATION?
Bro, u seem not to get my point undecided

Quality anytime. But the quality is not here.

Let's talk about duration :
Most firms have an age limit for their entry level vacancies. I see maximum of 26 these days.

Now tell me why someone who graduated after more than 4 years for a 4-year course will feel happy,especially when he got admission in his twenties?

You and I were just fortunate our school didn't go on strike.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Lero15(m): 7:16pm On May 04, 2015
Iamtosin:
Are u kidding me? Your friend dumped high-earned degree like Medicine and diverted into the financial sector. Pls tell him to go back ASAP!

Lol. Perhaps medicine is overrated undecided

1 Like

Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 8:46am On May 05, 2015
NaijaTalkTown:
Can i ask you a question sir? If yes, how do you react when your master bows for you?
I'm still a student sir and i don't have to tell you what i'm studying because you already know sir. Sir you are special sir.

You speak like a teacher... Socrates will be smiling.... Still bowing
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 11:52am On May 07, 2015
butanep:
I though as much.... With your write up, I knew you are a product of Uniben.

When I saw GST in philosophy of science and technology. I knew that can only come from a unibite.

I graduated from Uniben, department of Geology...nice meeting one of my own.
u are dumb. So its only uniben that offers philosophy of science and tech? This is part of wat d op is saying. Why can't people reason?
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by butanep(m): 2:37pm On May 07, 2015
5points:
u are dumb. So its only uniben that offers philosophy of science and tech? This is part of wat d op is saying. Why can't people reason?
you see how foolish you are... My guess was correct.

The person accepted she attended uniben. Its not just because of the philosophy of science. There are other things she mention that made me guess if she attended uniben, and she confirmed it.

You are a dull brain. A very dull one and my brain is not as dull as yours. If someone say anything about my alma mata indirectly, my brain is very sensitive to know...

I wonder how you pass your exams if only you are educated...
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 07, 2015
Am a 200level computer science student in uniben. Mhen am planning on going to India to start afresh soon. Imagine we don't do pratical at all, our ICT centre has turned to cbt exam hall. We did Qbasic in our 100level. My uncle said Qbasic is for the men of the 60s. Naija no just follow sef
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Lero15(m): 9:58pm On May 07, 2015
fighal:
Am a 200level computer science student in uniben. Mhen am planning on going to India to start afresh soon. Imagine we don't do pratical at all, our ICT centre has turned to cbt exam hall. We did Qbasic in our 100level. My uncle said Qbasic is for the men of the 60s. Naija no just follow sef
bros, please conclude your first degree here first... Then u may further abroad.
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by bbdrown: 10:04pm On May 10, 2015
Wow
Re: Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time by Geeflow(m): 10:30am On Mar 29, 2016
[quote author=majekdom2 post=32083121]No matter how we try to sugar coat it, the quality of university education in this country is wack be ith public or private. I love Nigeria but we need to say the truth when it needs to be said. The problem with Nigeria is not "Nigeria" as an entity as people make up the country, the problem is the people that make up the country itself. I see no development in this generation. I do not encourage seeking greener pastures abroad, I detest it much as I hate to seek pity. I believe if I can't fix my problem myself, I don't need to run elsewhere to seek pity. This is a problem with majority of us too that's why you see the average youth believe he can always make it when he leaves the country. If one's motive is always to go be a parasite somewhere, the problem remains the same and we keep going round the same circle.what are you saying? is'nt it better to be a slave in a foreign land than to be a slave in my own land??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Post UME Has Been Cancelled In Nigerian Universities / FG Declares French Compulsory For All Students / Cheapest Universities And Polytechnics In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.