Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,115 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. (75171 Views)

How Should I Respond To My Boss Who Fired Me Via Email? / My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. / Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Thinkr(m): 6:04pm On Apr 03, 2015
OP am sorry you lost your job but if I were in your position I would have done same thing. I can't carry no personal bag for nobody. Damn she's a stupid b!tc# lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by habeebcole: 6:04pm On Apr 03, 2015
iru rada rada oshi wo niyen
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by bid4rich(m): 6:05pm On Apr 03, 2015
Bro. Thats one of the prices you pay for being an employee. Someone said '' if you want to be poor for life, be an employee ONLY'' Being an employee means the following:

1. Your employer determine where you live.

2. Your employer determine when you wake up.

3. Your employer determine which school your children go to.

4. Your employer may sack you simply because you did not greet his wife or daughter.

5. As long as you are in paid emploment, you are working for your boss entire family.

6. No employer will increase your salary simply because your wife just give birth. Among others 25 hidden truth of paid employment.

Therefore, my brother, you erred for not doing it. If you want to be boss, you have to start your own business and Be Your Own Boss.

Try and lower your ego, kill your pride and play according to the rule. Good luck next time

2 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by ToyinDipo(m): 6:06pm On Apr 03, 2015
Sometimes, some situations are not about being wrong or right, but if I were to be in your shoes I would have done the same. Though some people have the strength to eat a humble pie.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by eschewevil91(f): 6:07pm On Apr 03, 2015
sir, you need to sue her ass! i'll gladly do that for you. hightime employers knew their limits and employees knew their rights

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by D33VA(f): 6:07pm On Apr 03, 2015
If ur male boss had asked u to bring in his briefcase for him wouldn't you have done dat?

U were wrong, she's ur boss and it wasn't a big deal until u let ur ego get in the way

5 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by linearity: 6:07pm On Apr 03, 2015
I think you were wrong, and it is possible she felt that you must have done it because she was a lady.

Think for a second....if your boss was male and he gave you a ride to the office and after getting there, he asked you to help carry his briefcase to his office, I believe you will not think twice and out of respect you will take the briefcase and carry it to his office. Infact, you will be the first person to volunteer to carry it for him.

I also think, she is right to fire you, the company is not meant for you. As you indicated, she is your contemporary and she only got that position because it is her father's company. She must have been aware of this and must have been debating, if you respects her despite all of you been contemporaries and her request must have been a test.

Please, for goodness seek! you asked for and was given a free ride, it was not part of the benefits of your employment, humble yourself and try to reciprocate by carrying her handbag.

In your next job, you will definitely carry your boss' bag, be it a male or female boss. I think male Bosses make us do it very often and female Bosses do not do it as frequent, because of the 'meaning' some people might read into it or think that, there is more to it, than just bag carrying, hence I am incline to think that, she did it to test you.

2 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Melahou(m): 6:08pm On Apr 03, 2015
If you had carried her hand bag i guess next time she would have given you her shoes to go and polish or sew her shoes
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 6:08pm On Apr 03, 2015
you were right, id do the same. Hopefully you get a better Job.....Its not your Job to carry her bag... Bug ups to you for knowing your value ..... Shes an ediot

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by CaniiiceDim(m): 6:08pm On Apr 03, 2015
As someone working in a private firm, you should have compromised a lil bit to suck up her bullshit.
Her father owns the damn company, damnit...

Carrying that bag would have meant "Stooping to conquer".

In a government organisation however,
It would be a "haram" to carry her bag sha.
Unless you both are very familiar that you see it as nothing.

This is why I love government jobs...
You can't fire people anyhow.
You can't even fire people, talk more of "anyhow".

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Jobyruz(m): 6:08pm On Apr 03, 2015
If according to the scenario the guy is older than the lady in question,then they shld go to hell with their job.won ka emi tiwon ni,olorun maa te rug e mehn!
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Kolade354(m): 6:08pm On Apr 03, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
The person that feeds you is your god next to God.

What is the cost-benefit ratio of not carrying the bag? Zilch!

Let's see how long it will take you to get another job.

Meanwhile, your action is justifiable if the job is not fulfilling enough for you and you have a Plan B.
\
Nigeria with their mentality, Is carrying His Boss Hand bag part of his offcial duties?...........Is she paying her for free, He works under Her and their is limit to what she can ask her to do.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 6:08pm On Apr 03, 2015
wristwatch:
It is not in the company's rules and regulation u shud carry your boss handbag.

U have not done anything wrong. She needs a puppet and she thought that puppet can be you.

I appreciate d fact dat u turn down her request.

U neva carry your mama bag let alone your wife/gf. Nah one arrogant bi*ch u wan do boi boi for. Ur head correct OP.
I like ur comment but u didn't think otherwise.... did u even think that its not easy to get a new job in labour market now... instead of him to sober and do a silly thing within a minute now he was fired cause of a silly thing.... we need to learn from this, so far he's working under a body he must learn how to tolerate diff things.... if to say he's a graduate from OAU am sure he would have learn from there slogan.... (learning and culture)....
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Onilaiscool(f): 6:09pm On Apr 03, 2015
that yr boss is a dumb stupid bi-tch

demonic worthless bitc-h

2 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 6:09pm On Apr 03, 2015
Misogynist2014:
Don't mind them. I don't blame the Arab world and their treatment of women.
Then, be ready to convert to Islam. tongue

OP, She's your boss and you have the every right to do as she commands. grin
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by CzarChris(m): 6:09pm On Apr 03, 2015
This thread reminds me of an Ethiopian adage that says " when the Great King passes by, the wise servant/peasant bows very low, but silently farts". Dude truth be told you have a huge ego problem. Take my advice if you wish, go meet your boss in the morning, beg to get your job back, prostrate if you must. If she rehires you, work diligently until you get a chance to strike back at her.
Then you can say at the end of the day "vini vidi vici".

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Filmdirect: 6:09pm On Apr 03, 2015
You were wrong in how you handled it. You could have made light of the moment while you did it.
The thing is if it were a man who was your boss and told you to carry his bag, you would have done it,
so the issue is not that she was belittling you or it was not in your job description but that she is a woman.
Admit that.

Therefore it is macho pride that got to you and if it is something you can not deal with, then do not ever have
a woman boss or do business with a woman. Since women are coming along strong in every facet of society, you
might have a big problem in your life down the road.

Even here in America, depending on the company, you might be the one sent to buy coffee or food. You pay your dues and move on.
Of course you can resist if you notice that you are the ONLY one sent to do errands. But if it is only once...you pay your dues.

2 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by bukeee(f): 6:10pm On Apr 03, 2015
Yes dear, you were wrong and you were right. You were wrong in the sence that, a bad servant can never be a good master, to get to the top or to get what you want you have to endure all manner of rubbish. She was your boss,you didt see that, you only saw a woman asking you to carry her handbag. Pls nxt time, play dumb, play stupid as long as the person is in a higher position. On the otherhand, if it were your girlfriend or wife, you can turn deaf ears.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Kolade354(m): 6:10pm On Apr 03, 2015
eschewevil91:
sir, you need to sue her ass! i'll gladly do that for you. hightime employers knew their limits and employees knew their rights
God bless you
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Jennifer89(f): 6:10pm On Apr 03, 2015
Op just to carry handbag your ego couldn't let you. What if you were her Personal Assistant(PA) wouldn't you have done it? now u lost the opportunity of a good project. You messed up sha! anyways welcome to the hunting market.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Thinkr(m): 6:10pm On Apr 03, 2015
tellmesome:
What is wrong with carrying her bag ? You should known she is your boss.My question is what if he is a man, useless mentality.
a man does not carry a bag full of comb and boxers and singlet and mirror and lipstic or others. If it were a bag of office file its ok but not a personal hand bag. Have you forgotten its an official environment? Smh useless mentality

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by 2thpick: 6:11pm On Apr 03, 2015
Bro. I'm sorry it got to that stage. I don't think you did bad. I would have done same. The good news is that the story hasn't ended. Bro juz use this opportunity to ensure u become successful. Work on yourself to become the boss in all u do. See it would have happened, you only fast forward it .... If she can sack u for not carrying her bag - she can do same because u use "close up" toothpaste. So up your game .....
But if you really like her job and whole lot depends on it - beg her (official begging ) but then your wings are clipped
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by andykay(m): 6:11pm On Apr 03, 2015
jaykaylegend:
Guy, you are more than wrong.. She is your boss and not your gf.. Even if she is. Younger than you, you have to carry it..
does his job description and specification includes bag carrying?
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Thinkr(m): 6:13pm On Apr 03, 2015
D33VA:
If ur male boss had asked u to bring in his briefcase for him wouldn't you have done dat?

U were wrong, she's ur boss and it wasn't a big deal until u let ur ego get in the way
what would be inside the brief case? Office file huh? What would be inside a handbag? Menstral pad. F^ck u undecided
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by jagabanban: 6:13pm On Apr 03, 2015
Were you wrong by not carrying your Boss' bag after she instructed you to?

Personally, I dont think you were wrong. However, sometimes it depends on how the request was made in the first place.

If she was carrying other things and had her hands full, she could have asked you to assist with some of the load. In this case, her handbag. But your post did not state if this was the case. I also want to believe that you would have gladly carry other items, if there were any, instead of the handbag.

She may also have perceived you as "cocky" and wanted a way to bring you down. Asking you to carry her handbag being one of such ways.

You could go the legal route. Get a lawyer and sue her at the National Industrial Court. She may opt for an out-of-court settlement. Most employers dont like bad publicity especially when they have major opportunities about to mature.

I dont think you should take the option of continuing work there. Just get your entitlements and move on.

I have a female boss and she has a reputation of shouting on people and verbally assaulting them when they make mistakes. I have been working for her for 5 months and she has never raised her voice on me, talk less of verbally abusing me, even when I made mistakes.

The day she raises her voice is the day I tender my resignation.

All the best in your decision.

klark3:
I was employed as an architect in a medium size architectural firm, my boss happens to be a lady.

I hitched a ride in her car after a meeting with a client on site, It's was even my first time of hitching a ride in her car, as I have always eschewed it, on getting to the office she asked me to carry her hand bag along, but I turned deaf ear to her request and swiftly went straight to the office, but she came to my office and gave me a sullen glare.

I thought the malice won't last long, but unfortunately for me, she fired me this morning for a no cogent reason.

I'm downcast and bewildered, she's just privilege to be the manager because it's her dad firm, she's my contemporary, and I was on the verge of supervising a gigantic project.

Was I wrong?

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by habeebcole: 6:13pm On Apr 03, 2015
dharay99:
yhu wernt wrong and at dsame tym u were,

Yhu knew who her father is and d big project ahead of u, u shuld av put all dez into consideration and at least please her,

Maybe afta d whole project stuff, u fit come do "igara chicken" for d crazie lady.
undecided
she fired him just for nt carrying her bag.....does it make sense at all........or wats she feeling like
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by justmag(m): 6:13pm On Apr 03, 2015
JayKaba:
Yes, you are wrong. As long you are not working for yourself, you need to learn to 'suck up' to your boss, especially in our kind of environment (Nigeria). Sorry man, goodluck at your next job.

I have too much pride and faith in God. Carrying bags is definately not in my job description. Except it is then there is no way in hell I am picking up my bosses bag like I am her son or security guard. I will gladly take my sack letter and look elsewhere. I will certainly put that company on blast afterwards. I know people who have destroyed hotel reputation for doing stupid things like this. I would say this. If you are not man enough to know they worth then don't follow my lead.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by duni04(m): 6:13pm On Apr 03, 2015
tellmesome:
What is wrong with carrying her bag ? You should known she is your boss.My question is what if he is a man, useless mentality.
Don't be silly. You didn't see the part where he said they're contemporaries?
Even besides that, a woman should never be disrespectful to a man irrespective of position. If you see nothing wrong with what she did then you're as silly as she is.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by dnawah(m): 6:13pm On Apr 03, 2015
klark3:
I was employed as an architect in a medium size architectural firm, my boss happens to be a lady.

I hitched a ride in her car after a meeting with a client on site, It's was even my first time of hitching a ride in her car, as I have always eschewed it, on getting to the office she asked me to carry her hand bag along, but I turned deaf ear to her request and swiftly went straight to the office, but she came to my office and gave me a sullen glare.

I thought the malice won't last long, but unfortunately for me, she fired me this morning for a no cogent reason.

I'm downcast and bewildered, she's just privilege to be the manager because it's her dad firm, she's my contemporary, and I was on the verge of supervising a gigantic project.

Was I wrong?
my bros u r not caring o!
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Venom104: 6:13pm On Apr 03, 2015
OP.. you were very wrong.. I'm also an architect in a similar situation.. Even though i have a higher degree than my boss, theres no silly errand i havent been sent on.. but i try to suck it up till something better comes up.. You are who you are, no one can make you feel little unless you think you are.. all the best in the future

5 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by olamidarsenal(m): 6:13pm On Apr 03, 2015
u weren't wrong at all, I can only decipher change from this. it is obvious that your boss want change because we are in era of change.

don't allow this to weigh u down, stand up to ur feet and say no to ur defeat, God have a special job for u in another place that will earn u more than what u were been paid . move on with your life
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by fujirice: 6:14pm On Apr 03, 2015
anonimi:

I am sorry but you are the wrong one here.
Being a subordinate in a PROFESSIONAL office is not equal to being a slave or UNNECESSARILY doing lap dog.

Many years ago I had cause to tell a senior (not my boss per se) that he should not get used to asking me to make coffee for him after I had made it for him once without question and he asked me a second time. However I made sure I found the opportunity to make him coffee again a few days later even though he NEVER asked me again.

Only we (Nigerians) can make our society.
No God or messiah will come down to do it for us!
QED!!!
Somehow you and I are saying the same thing. But the OP ignored his boss according to his writeup. His BOSS! Lets establish that part boldly. Had it been he carried the bag and later communicated his discontentment to his boss, it would have been a different case. He didn't even decline with words. Brother, he is so wrong!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary / Best Banks To Work In Nigeria: List Of Highest Paying Banks - FinancialWatchNgr / A Month After I Was Sacked, I Was Mistakenly Credited With ₦40,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.